Chapter 3: Countess Savael
198 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After story time was over and Aurelia felt a lot more comfortable around Konrad, she believed it was time to get the serious talk out of the way so they could start working as soon as possible. Putting the cup of tea aside on a nearby table, Aurelia crossed one leg over the other and leaned back a little before looking into the flames of the fireplace that kept the room so warm and comfortable. 

"So, Konrad. Let's start at the beginning. Tell me how Khal is doing, what problems we have and what needs to be done. I am pretty aware that winter is soon to arrive, and if we're already having blizzards...Then we really need to prepare thoroughly."

Konrad looked at Aurelia for a few seconds in silence, pondering on which order he could speak about the many problems that the County itself had to face, even before the new Lady took charge of it.

"Let's see...The blizzards have brought a famine over the people. As you may know, we can't farm in these lands due to the cold so we rely heavily on hunting and fishing to build up stock of food for winter. The blizzards and storms recently have driven the beasts of the wild to hide in their lairs, so it's becoming harder to hunt. The fish are the main source of food we have right now, and the reserves are already depleting as we speak." Letting out a sigh, Konrad knew that soon enough not even the Countess in front of him would have much to eat if the famine continued. Certainly, whatever caused the ever-present winter in the Northern Frontier must really be laughing at such misfortune.

"Very well. We will need to start relying on imports soon enough, that will surely become a big problem...Have the blizzards caused any damage to housing, medical facilities or the warehouses?" Aurelia kept in mind the famine. If they needed to build reserves of food, then they would need sturdy warehouses and available medical facilities for those that may venture outside when the snow starts to become ice.

"I believe there has not been any damage done to the warehouses. Though I cannot say the same for the less fortunate. Housing and Medical Facilities have been overloaded recently, but we don't yet have the materials to expand them." Konrad spoke with a faint hint of pain in his voice. Aurelia caught wind of this and focused her gaze upon his tired eyes.

"Do you have someone residing at the hospital as well, Konrad?"

"I'm afraid I do, My Lady. my daughter. She's been bedridden ever since the last hunting expedition went out."

Aurelia could almost feel the pain of the man in front of her...Yet she couldn't understand him completely. Obviously seeing such a close family member suffering would hurt, she knew this. But as she never had someone as close as that, Aurelia couldn't quite comprehend just how badly he was hurting under that comprehensive and kind expression he kept at all times.

"That is...Certainly not good to hear. So we have to deal with the famine and lack of housing for the sick without a hint of gold in our chests....That's just great..." Aurelia sighed and growled, her blood started to boil yet again. Not only had she been forced to accept this task, but now she would be held responsible if Khal suffered any more than it was hurting now.

"I was not lying when I said the County had seen worst misfortune, my lady. I am sorry you are the one to take responsibility for the mistakes of those that came before you." Konrad's choice of words confused Aurelia for a moment, but she accepted his kindness with a faint smile appearing on her face. As the storm outside seemed to dwindle, the countess stood from her seat and looked at Konrad with a wider smile on her face.

"I am not one for speeches. But I believe the people of Khal should know the difference between me and the previous Lord. Let us depart for the village for now. If we hurry we may be back before evening comes."

"Yes my lady, certainly. I will be right behind you."

With the instructions given, Aurelia decided to head out of the manor. The freezing winds outside seemed to penetrate through her flesh and directly strike into her bones, but she gave it no importance for now. Aurelia had decided to tackle this problem head-on before, so if her people needed to suffer through the cold without heavy coats of fur or fancy fireplaces in their homes, then why should she? It was a Lord's duty to reign over their people, and she would be damned if she allowed them to suffer on their own.

Quickly walking the tracks covered in snow that the carriage had left in its path, she made the walk down to the village in ten minutes time. Her time in the military had given her great stamina, so she found the freezing breeze a little comfortable, as it prevented her body from being covered in sweat. 

As she arrived to the village, she walked amongst the people of Khal. Her eyes fixated upon the central plaza located in the middle of the settlement itself. The estate was quite promising, as the housing closer to the plaza seemed to be sturdy and comfortable, but even from ground-level she could see the starving people far out in the outskirts where the slums covered a good part of the village.

Noticing the remains of an old fountain, she climbed up its rim and stood up before taking in a deep breath. She hated having to give out speeches, in fact, if not for her talent for tactical appraisals and legitimate combat ability, she would still remain a regular soldier and not a Captain. As that familiar uncomfortable dread filled her chest, Aurelia let out her booming voice so that everyone in hearing range may heed her words.

"People of Khal! My name is Aurelia Savael, and I have been named Countess of this County! I have come to you this day so you may look upon me as a fellow person, and not some 'Noble' of blue blood. I come to you this day so I may speak to you all, so I may remember your faces, so I may know the hardships you face!"

The people, hearing the imposing voice that Aurelia was speaking with, soon enough started to gather in the plaza. Hearing her out with closed mouths and intense glares. From the faint hatred in their eyes did Aurelia understood just how bad a job the previous Lord had done, and the determination to be better grew within her. And the objective to give this people better lives entered her mind.

"As your Countess, I swear upon my name that you will prevail! You will survive! The winter is coming, but we shall be ready! The days to come may be challenging, but I am sure you've been through worse. I do not intend to ask forgiveness for the acts of the man that came before me, but I do ask all of you to give me a chance! I swear, this day, that upon my name I will make the County of Khal the warm home you all deserve!"

"It is this day that Countess Savael takes charge of this mission. And I promise you all, I will not falter until I do what must be done!"

The people remained in silence for a good few seconds as they made up their mind about such a bizarre occurrence. It was not an everyday event to see a Noble speaking directly to their people like this, and it was not a common thing to see a young lady doing so, swearing upon her name that these people would get what they truly deserve: A warm and comfortable home. Where the hungry do not starve. Where the children do not die of frostbite. Where the houses do not crumble under the fierce winds of the north.

It was then, as they all glared into her indigo eyes, that they realized this woman was being honest. And for such words of kindness, determination and care, they started shouting to the top of their lungs. Raising their clenched fists. Stomping against the frozen ground. They all rejoiced, as they had received not a Lord, but a true Leader to guide them forward.

"Countess Savael!"
"Long live Countess Savael!!"
"We will prevail!"
"Hurrah!! Hurrah!"

Of course, maybe they did went a little overboard, but Aurelia could rest easy, as the crowd didn't hate her improvised speech. Stepping down from the fountain, she went back to work. Back to the manor, so she may start handing out the orders needed. The hunters would go out to hunt. The lumberjacks would make the ground rumble with the tumbling of trees. The fishers would set their traps in the nearby rivers. And the Lady would go back to organizing it all.

It would take hard work, and a lot of time, but the County of Khal would prevail through the winter. And the next one. And the next one after that. And the people would look up at the Manor and rest at ease knowing that Countess Savael would take good care of them.

14