Interlude 2: Dokkaebi
129 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
You guys are in luck! I just wrote over 8k words, so you’ll be getting two chapters instead of one! I hope you enjoy this and the abundance of fan art! There are four different versions, which is your favorite? Leave it in the comments!

 

 

The news about the murder of Tenn’s royal family struck fear and worry amongst the neighboring countries. It was exceedingly rare for a king to die, let alone a queen and a 2nd princess. 

I was struck the hardest by the news. Because to me, I felt guilt and regret. I stayed on the floor for a long while, staring out of the window, motionless. It felt like a long time passed when Peri discovered me. Without saying anything, she picked me up and carried me back to my room. Even though I must've been heavy, she didn't complain. I leaned my head against her and exhaled.

I didn't want to think anymore.


 

Heath stood outside of Rael’s door. He wanted to burst into the door and yell at him for writing something on the backside of the letter to Mary, but…

Rael hadn’t left his room the entire week. Peri, who usually dragged him to dinner, now brought him food to his room. Heath had tried asking Peri about how Rael was but she hadn’t disclosed anything. The curiosity was gnawing on Heath. Rael had run out of the Great Hall while the King spoke, and now he didn’t even want to be seen. 

Heath walked off. Whatever. He didn’t care. He only wanted to yell at Rael after all.

But every day, when the clock struck six, he’d head to Rael’s room and stand outside. Motionless, deep in thought. It took him a few days of pondering, pretending as though he didn’t care (which he doesn’t, really), when he thought of a brilliant way to trick Rael out of his room. 

Heath knocked on the door. No response. 

“Rael?”

Silence.

“Rael…?” He tried again.

But nothing. 

“Huh. I guess these honey triple-layered nuts are going to go to waste. Maybe I should let Wei have them?” Heath slowly began walking away. He stopped when he heard a door creak. He watched as a messy redhead peeked out. Rael seemed… different. He glared at Heath, knowing that he lied. He tried slamming the door closed but Heath was quicker, stopping it with his foot. 

“Let’s talk.”

“I don’t want to.” Rael was leering at him and Heath noticed the bags under his eyes. Had he even slept? How badly did the news affect him? And then he understood why Rael was so tired. Heath stared at him.

“Rael. I know you care for Ru.” Rael froze. His eyes were wide. 

“What? How did you—“

“However even if you love him, you should—“ Rael grew even more stunned as Heath continued. 

“No! I-I, what?” He couldn’t form a proper sentence. “I don’t think you could be more wrong in one sentence.” Heath frowned. Then why was he so upset? It wasn’t because he liked Ru?

“Then tell me. I’ll listen.” Rael gave him a cold look. 

“I’d rather not. Is this all you wanted? Misunderstand me and offer a shoulder to cry on?” Heath wanted to sigh. It was never easy to talk to Rael, he always had his guard up. 

“I wanted to show you something.” Rael raised both eyebrows. 

“And what makes you think I’ll follow you?” Heath grinned evilly. 

“If you don’t, I’ll break down your door so that you can’t hide.” Rael gasped.

“You wouldn’t.”

“Is that a bet?” Rael tsked. And then he pushed Heath back a little.

“Wait here then. I look like a wreck and I don’t want to walk around in pajamas.” Heath waited a few minutes and when Rael walked out, he looked normal. But his tired appearance was still apparent.

Rael glowered at him and Heath hid a smile as he led Rael to the library. Heath saw Rael looking around cautiously as they entered. Heath walked to a bookshelf at the very corner of the library. He pulled out the third book on the first row, the tenth in the second row, and so on until the last row. It created a code. 

‘2110263942516’ The entire shelf began shaking and it stopped, opening up and showing a long tunnel. Heath turned to Rael and saw the latter stunned. Heath couldn’t suppress a smile.

“Come on, hurry up or it’ll close on us.” He grabbed Rael by the arm and led the boy through the dark tunnel. As they got closer, they could hear laughs and giggles. Heath felt Rael tense up. When they reached the end of the tunnel, they saw— 

Light.

The laughing came from small figures that floated in the air as they ran around each other. Already spotting the two intruders, they flew to them and twirled around them, throwing glitter at the duo. Rael was still dumbfounded and watched the small figures with wide eyes.

“What the hell is this place?” He finally breathed out when the small creatures grew bored and left them alone. His answer was replied with a high-pitched voice.

Garden of Haven.” Rael saw a small figure on his shoulder. His reaction was to swat it away but the creature merely laughed and plopped its feet on his head. Heath watched in amusement, not clarifying anything.

“Heath? Why is there a fly on my head?” The ‘fly’ snorted.

If I’m a fly, then what are you? A mana particle?” Rael tried brushing off the ‘fly’ but it dodged his wild attacks. Heath chuckled as he lifted his hand. The ‘fly’ calmly flew to his hand and stood on it, grinning at Rael.

“This is a dokkaebi. It’s a spirit that resides in places with a high concentration of magic and enjoys pulling antics on unsuspecting victims.” The said dokkaebi mock bowed. Heath rolled his eyes.

“It's also incredibly powerful so don’t ever piss them off or you’ll suffer a lot.” The dokkaebi chuckled at that.

Good for you to warn him, lest he suffers the same fate you did.” Heath shuddered. 

“What did he do?” Rael finally spoke.

“Nothing—“

He nearly broke one of our holy artifacts.” The dokkaebi answered. Heath protested.

“How was I supposed to know that a fruit was your holy artifact?” 

That ignorance of his had to be punished. So we spelled him to a mindless fool for ten minutes. Once he came to, we forced him to watch his past self, ten times, before he was allowed to go.

“And that was a merciful punishment apparently.”

Of course. Had it not been you, we’d have permanently made you a fool.” The dokkaebi smirked, showing off a row of sharp teeth. It looked back at Rael who was still processing it all.

And who might this be? Your lov—“ Heath cut him off.

“My brother!” He shouted louder than necessary. The other dokkaebis that had been tormenting a pitiful nightmare horse, flew back to them.

Is he now?” One mused.

Why is it that he’s a halfling then?” Another asked.

Heath Vandergarden, do you not know of the rules?” The smallest dokkaebi's eyes flashed.

You may only bring the one you care for—“ 

Whether it be a friend or a foe—

But break that trust—

And you’ll face the wrath of a thousand storms.

They chanted in unison as their eyes flashed with light. Rael was petrified, not expecting the sudden shift in mood. The dokkaebi had gotten hostile. Because Heath had broken one of the rules.

Heath clenched his fist as he responded calmly. “I…” His cheeks were red. “Rael is my brother. Of course, I care about him.” The dokkaebi, who were growing closer, stopped. They turned their glowing eyes on Rael who was seconds from bolting out of the room. And then they began giggling. Heath let out a sigh of relief as the dokkaebi laughed over nearly killing their guest.

Rael walked closer to Heath. “What is this place?” Heath stared at him.

“It’s one of the last safe Havens of this world.” Rael blinked.

“Havens?”

“Yes. Places where magical creatures can live in safety and peace. They’re the safest but also most dangerous places. As long as you follow the host's rules, you may exist here forever.”

“What are the rules?” Heath ignored his question.

“This is merely a Garden of Haven, there used to be a Sea of Havens for sea creatures. Even a Sky of Haven where prideful dragons bowed down to hosts. There was a City of Haven, and even a nation called Haven, ruled by magical creatures that promised peace and prosperity to its people. But these all gradually collapsed.”

“Even though they’re havens? How?”

“No one knows. The sea turned murky one day and evaporated. All that’s left from the Sea of Haven is a desert that extends for several miles. The Sky of Haven vanished when mountains grew to reach those skies. The creatures that existed in harmony there fell dead, being pierced by the mountains.” Heath paused, looking at the dokkaebi still on his hand. It was listening with a blank face. As though this had nothing to do with it.

“And the Nation and City of Haven were overturned from the inside. The people overthrew its hosts and… murdered them. The people mysteriously vanished and the land was deserted for many decades. Until two trees found the remains of the city and nation and decided to stay there until they died.”

Rael muttered. “Urel…?”

“That’s right. The remains of the city and nation are where Urel stands today.”

“Then how come this garden was created?” Heath looked around the garden. It was called a garden but it was much more than that. 

He saw a nightmare horse that was trying to hide in the shadows, away from the teasing dokkaebi. He could see a large pond, which was as deep as an ocean, where two mermaids relaxed, staring at Heath and Rael with hungry eyes. Finally, he looked at the sky, seeing the descendants of the dragons flying with delight and spewing fire or lightning as they fought. The small wyverns were stopped by the dokkaebi as they nearly ruined an ancient tree. 

Heath’s voice was barely audible. “To protect what’s left of the old days.” Rael didn’t reply as he also watched the scene. They were quiet for a while before Rael inquired.

“What else is left beside the Garden?” This time, the silent dokkaebi replied.

The Forest, The Earth and the Town of Haven. Though, they won’t exist for long.” Rael stared at the dokkaebi. He seemed to know something. And then he frowned.

“If a forest, a sky, a city and a nation of Haven existed, shouldn’t there be a c—“ Rael felt his lips seal shut. He grabbed at his mouth— it had disappeared. Rael looked up at the dokkaebi in terror. The dokkaebi was no longer friendly, its eyes shining once more. The white shine on their eyes made them seem larger and Rael felt an invisible pressure that began squeezing him. 

You have breached one of the rules.” Rael could only watch as the dokkaebi floated closer to him. “You should know this the best, ignorance is bliss. And you will now suffer for it.” It placed its tiny palm on Rael’s forehead. 

Die.”

Rael’s eyes rolled to the back of his head as he fell to the ground. Heath, finally able to move, ran to him. He glared at the dokkaebi. “Why would you do that?” The dokkaebi stared at him solemnly.

He needs to learn the rules. If he keeps asking stupid questions, he will eventually die. I merely erased his memory of today. Until he’s befitting enough to enter this place, he will be forbidden from entering.” The dokkaebi turned. 

“What was he going to ask?”

A question that would end with his death.

“But why couldn’t you have just stopped him?” 

Because it’s not my responsibility to teach a fool manners that he’ll never possess. By banishing him, he won’t cause harm. If you decide to bring him here once more— there will be consequences.” The dokkaebi was serious. 

Heath gulped. He clenched his fist. The dokkaebi was acting strange. They were hostile, more hostile than usual to Rael. Did they already know about his existence? That couldn’t be… But why else would they erase his memory?

Heath swallowed. And then he bowed. “I thank you for allowing me and my guest hospitable service.” The dokkaebi didn’t reply and flew away, disappearing seconds later. Heath picked Rael up, seeing the entrance to the Garden open up.

He was no longer wanted here, so he had to leave and return when they finally forgave him.

For they were the hosts of this Haven. They wouldn’t allow anyone to enter, only the heir of the King and their guest. Once Heath became the king, he too would be forbidden from the Garden. Until then, he was allowed to visit so long as he paid respect. And he’d broken it by inviting Rael.

Heath sighed. It usually took a month for the dokkaebi to forgive him. So he wouldn’t be allowed to visit for one month. He looked back one last time, seeing the dokkaebi in their natural habitat.

Translucent, wings almost as large as them, and large black eyes. They looked strange, similar to humans if not for the powerful magic that surrounded them constantly. They were beloved by all, the seas, the skies, the creatures, and mana. 

As the doors closed behind Heath, he walked away.

But they too were banished from whence they came. Beloved by all, except for one. They were hated by the gods. For they broke one of the laws and were expelled, never to return. That was the reason they were obsessed with rules, and the reason why they constantly looked for a safe haven to live in for all eternity.

Heath didn’t know this though, carrying Rael back to his room. He was curious about the existence of the dokkaebi but there were no history books that explained their existence. He was asked by his father to document anything and everything about the dokkaebi but his slate had been blank… until now.

He looked at Rael who was sleeping peacefully. He was equally as curious about Rael’s existence. He knew Rael was purposefully not revealing his true identity. There was so much mystery behind the boy who was trying to survive in an unfamiliar world. He wanted to know more but…

Heath stared ahead. He couldn’t. After all… Rael wasn’t his real brother. Heath’s quiet steps echoed in the empty corridor as he carried Rael. His grip tightened.

He didn’t care what happened to Rael. 

Really

 

Thank you for all your support. I will be editing the next chapter and posting it now!

Thanks for reading!

6