Chapter 17: Matchmaking for World Peace!
79 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up, feeling my sense of gravity shift. I fell off the bed with a scream. I stood up, glaring at the culprit. Oden was sleeping soundly, having ruined the pillow barricade with his horrible sleeping posture. 

I reached out and grabbed his cheeks, pulling at them as hard as I could. The half-asleep Oden protested in pain and I let go. Giving him a spiteful glance, I began to dress up for school. That brat had woken me up earlier than usual! 

Staring at the clock, I had a brilliant idea. I should go to the fountain before anyone else gets there!

I put on my school uniform and held my jacket around my arm as I left the room. No one was in the kitchen, and I hurriedly made a bowl of cereal, finished it at record speed, and ran out of the apartment with a stomach ache.

While running, I regretted my hasty decisions. 

Hopefully, no one would be at the fountain by 6 am. I took a shortcut, walking quickly. The fountain was at the very center of the city, right in front of the Academy, so it was a popular location for students to sit by. So I had to be quick.

With light steps, the trees were clearing out and I saw the fountain. It was white and stood out from afar. I stepped out, ready to approach it when I saw the fountain move.

No, that wasn’t the fountain, it was a person. I had to squint my eyes to see better.

Wearing white clothes that covered nearly every inch of their body, they sat patiently by the fountain, staring out into space. Their delicate face was in a daze. I took a few steps back, hiding behind the trees.

Why was the Saint of Valhein here? At this hour? 

Panicking inwardly, I nearly missed the person who approached her. The saint raised her head, her face lighting up with happiness.

“Prince Ru!” She said sweetly, standing up to greet him. Ru had a cool expression as he greeted the Saint.

I watched the two in surprise. They’d already met?

“What was it you wanted to talk about?” He asked. The Saint looked flustered.

“I wanted to know if you were going to privately tutor more students? If so, may I join?” 

Ru shook his head. “I’m sorry but there are already too many.” The Saint’s face fell but she quickly wore another smile.

“That’s alright. But if I struggle with a spell, may I ask you for help?” Ru paused before answering.

“If I can help, sure.” Her eyes lit up.

“Thank you, Prince Ru.”

“I haven’t done anything for you to thank me for,” Ru replied blandly.

“Agreeing to meet me was kind enough.”

Ru didn’t reply to her as he jerked his head to the side. I ducked, feeling him look in my direction. Did he discover me? He couldn’t have known I was here, right? Peeking, I saw him survey the area once more before turning to the Saint.

“I need to be on my way, so—“ The Saint raised a hand.

“Please wait a moment, Prince Ru.” Ru stopped, staring at her.

“Yes?”

“I wanted to give you my blessing. It's common for people in Valhein to bless those who help others. It's how we become closer to God.” She clasped her hands together, closing her eyes. “May your days be filled with luck and prosperity for the kindness you offered one of the servants to thee who oversees all life. As God wills it.” She lowered her head, as her clasped hands lit up with a faint light. 

I barely noticed it, but Ru looked to be staring at it with an intense look in his eyes. He took a small step back, as though surprised. He hesitated as he stood in place, still wearing a blank expression. The faint light enveloped him. He shivered slightly. I found his reaction strange. Was he feeling cold?

“Thank you, Saint.” The Saint opened her eyes, and her prayer finished. She brushed a lock of hair back, blinking innocently.

“Of course.” Ru bid her farewell. She returned it, before sitting down at the fountain once more. She wore a small smile as she stared at the ground. 

I walked away, cursing my horrible luck. I was hoping that she’d leave but she decided to stay and daydream! Stomping off, I headed to the magic shops. I might as well buy a wand before class starts.

While leaving, I didn’t notice a bump in the grass, just meters from where I stood.


 

Struggling with the [Light] spell, I lowered my wand, taking a small break. Ignoring my two friends who were effortlessly mastering spells from left to right, I observed Ophelia from the corner of my eye, pretending to stare at my pamphlet.

She was diligently practicing her fifth spell. She uttered the spell and conjured a breeze of wind that made her hair land near her face. Her concentration broke off as she tried fixing her hair.

Reni laughed as she tried fixing Ophelia’s hair, while the girl allowed her.

“The spell must’ve been stronger than I thought.” She muttered.

“Next time, don’t aim it near your hair,” Reni said as she brushed Ophelia’s bangs back. The other girl pouted.

“It’s not like I can control it.”

“If you practice enough, you’ll become good enough to control it.” A voice said, causing both of them to jump. They noticed Ru who was now standing by their table. He nodded at them.

“But I think you’ve done well with this.” They relaxed and greeted Ru. Ru paused to stare at Ophelia.

“Ah, your hair is…” 

Ophelia’s face flushed. “Oh, the spell made it messy. I’m sorry, let me go fix it.” She stood up, but Ru stopped.

“No, it’s fine. It’s only that a few strands are off.” He raised a hand, fixing the hair strands. He lowered his hand and smiled.

“There.”

Ophelia’s face was as red as a tomato as she gaped at Ru. Even Reni was surprised. My reaction was to sigh. It seems that the game’s route has been decided now. 

Seeing Ophelia's reaction, she'd chosen Ru Hasselt. What a pity, I wanted to either match her up with Heath or Oden. I had wanted to avoid Ru’s route mostly because…

Erica was glaring in their direction, clenching her pamphlet. And standing by the open door was the Saint who was waiting for Ru. But her mouth was shut tight and she wore a frosty expression.

There were two love rivals along his route. And seeing their reaction, they’d already declared war on the innocent Ophelia who was trying to stutter a reply to Ru. The game would only go downhill from here on out.

I might need to get involved.


 

In combat class, the students were to pair up two and two and test out the strength of their shields. One would hold a weapon, testing out the other’s shield. The professor told us to pair up with anyone we wanted.

I clenched my fist.

“Oden, if you pair up with Reni, you don’t have to befriend Ophelia anymore.” Oden stared at me in surprise.

“Seriously?”

“Yes. And just this one time.” Oden looked suspicious. 

He still couldn’t talk with Ophelia. But I’m sure he could at least pair up with Reni, or distract her so that I can talk with Ophelia.

“Is it so that you can be alone with Ophelia?” He said. I glared at him.

“It’s not like that.” Oden nodded slowly.

“I understand. I’ll let you two be alone for as long as you need.” He ran away before I could grab him. 

He approached Reni who had her arm hooked with Ophelia’s. He gestured with his hands, pointing at me. I nearly scowled. What the hell was he telling them? Reni seemed shocked before nodding. She followed after Oden, leaving a confused Ophelia behind.

I began to approach her.

“Hey, I don’t have anyone to pair up with. Could I team up with you?” I gave her a small smile.

“Ah, yes! I don’t have anyone else either.” She said, glancing in the direction Reni left.

The two of us walked to the edge of the training field. 

“Right, what’s your name?”

“My name is Ophelia Phorest. What’s yours?”

“I’m Rael Vandergarden.” She nodded.

“Nice to meet you.” 

She held the wooden sword tightly. “Should I begin first?” 

I hesitantly nodded. Hopefully, I’d find an opportunity to talk to her while we fought.


 

Forty-five minutes later and I’m lying on the floor, panting. Ophelia looked at me with worry.

“Are you okay?”

“Y…yes. Let me—let me just take a small break.” Ophelia stopped her shield and walked up to me.

While training, she’d broken my shield with only one hit, every single time. When breaking the shield, she repeatedly struck a part of my body. By the tenth time, I had new bruises all over. 

“I’m so sorry!”

Of course, it wasn’t on purpose. Trying to ignore the aching pain, I waved my hand.

“It’s fine! It doesn’t hurt at all!” She touched my shoulder and I squirmed.

“Really…?” She was doubtful.

Really!” I said lamely.

Ophelia didn’t want to hurt me anymore and we swapped places. Ophelia channeled her shield all around her. I grabbed the wooden sword and ran up to her. Using half of my strength, I struck at it.

The sword bounced off and I jumped back. The shield didn’t look affected. Gritting my teeth, I tried again, this time with all my strength. Once more, the attack was blocked. Repeatedly trying, I was running out of breath.

“Your shield is pretty good, Ophelia.” I complimented. The girl stared at me, embarrassed.

“No no, I’m sure you’d be able to break if you used all your strength.” 

Did she think I was testing her? This was all my strength!

Wiping the sweat off my forehead, I rushed at her again and failed countless times to break her shield. Finally, I became so tired that I had to take a break. Ophelia sat next to me, looking worried.

“I’m alright, just exhausted,” I mumbled as I laid face-first into the grass. Using the last strength in my arms, I sat up. I looked at her.

“Is it fine if we just rest for now?” She nodded.

“That’s fine. Don’t overexert yourself.” 

Silence descended. I stared at the ground, hesitating. It’s now or never.

“Hey, Ophelia?”

“Yes?” She replied, picking up a dandelion and blowing on it. 

“Do you like Ru?” Her head jerked in my direction and she gasped. 

“What? N-no! How can I like him?”

“So you don’t?”

“N-no! I-I could never like someone like him! He’s too perfect!” I tilted my head. Perfection is a bad thing?

Her cheeks pink, she began explaining why she doesn’t like Ru. “He’s nice of course, and he gives good explanations when you ask him for help. He has a nice smile when he does smile, and when I talk to him it feels like… he has all his attention on me and it makes me—“ Halfway through, she began talking about her own experience with Ru and she noticed that. She raised her hands, shaking her head furiously.

“D-don’t misunderstand! He’s like this with others! I’m nothing special, he’s only being nice because of his kind nature.” She stared at the ground, refusing to look at me. I refrained from sighing.

“He only acts like that around you, Ophelia.” She shook her head, still looking down.

“Don’t lie.”

“I’m not lying. I’ve never seen that Ice Prince smile, not since—” I paused. “He doesn’t smile much these days. But you’re one of the lucky ones that he smiles at. That must mean he likes you in some kind of way, right?”

She hugged her knees. “Then it’s as a friend. Which is good, I want to be friends with him.” I couldn’t help but snort.

“Ophelia, you’re not fooling me. I know you like him.” She groaned, raising her head.

“Yes! Okay, fine! I do! So what?”

“Then go for it!”

“But how?!” She replied, growing frustrated. I let out a laugh.

“By being yourself! He already likes you this much. So find opportunities to be with him more. Don’t shy away when he fixes your hair and gets close to your face.” Ophelia’s mouth was agape.

“You saw that!?”

“I think everyone saw it.” 

She hid her face with her hands, making a strange sound.

“How embarrassing! Rael, help me dig a hole, and hide me in it!” I lightly patted her on the shoulder.

“It’s alright, if you two end up together, he’ll do more than brush away your hair from your face—“ She shook her head.

Don’t give me images!”

“Oh? You’re already dreaming about it?” Using one hand, she lightly shoved me. I stopped teasing her. “But you should go for it. And if you need any love advice, come to me.” Her eyes widened.

“You’re experienced?”

No. “Yeah, something like that.” I smoothly lied. I’m sure having played otome games counted as experience, right?

She clenched her fists, looking determined.

“Alright. I’ll try then. T-to… seduce Ru!”

“Wait, seduce? I thought you were going to make him fall for you?” She looked confused.

“Isn’t it the same thing?”

“Those are vastly different. Seducing is when you…” I used my hands to gesture what seduction was. Forming an ‘O’ with one hand and using my pointing finger, it finally registered for her what it meant. She hid her face in her hands again.

Please forget you ever heard that.” She pleaded.

“I’ll make sure to remember it forever,” I said in a serious voice.

The sweet Ophelia used her foot to kick at me and I fell over, laughing.

“Wait, why do you want to help me?” She asked, having calmed down. Still lying down, I thought for a few seconds.

“World peace?” I said.

“What?”

“I mean, I’ll be able to see that grumpy Ru be happy! And also watch young love unfold.” 

“Aren’t you young too? What about your love story?”

“Ah, no thanks.” I wanted to return to my world. If I were to grow too attached to this world… I feared the consequences. “Let’s focus on you. Also, watch out for Erica.”

“Hm? Why?” She asked while plucking a few flowers.

“You might have some competition.” She gaped and dropped a flower.

“She likes him too?”

“More like, who doesn’t like him?” She let out a laugh.

“Doesn’t he have a fan club? It seems that the whole school likes him.” Our chuckling was stopped by the professor announcing that the lesson was over. I stood up, offering my hand. Ophelia took it, thanking me and brushing some grass off her legs. 

“Thanks, Rael.” I smiled.

“It’s my pleasure. Now go get a boyfriend!” She blushed as she waved me goodbye. I had a large smile on as Oden appeared with Reni. He walked up to me, looking smug.

“So your date went well?”

I kicked at him and he evaded it with a laugh. 


 

I sat at the library with Oden, Al, and Weiss. We were studying for a quiz on history.

Oden scowled. “I thought you already knew everything, Rael.”

“Shut up, I’m not an all-knowing god! I have to revise!”

He eyed me before returning to his book. Al had a pained expression as he tried answering questions.

“Who the hell is Ilane Von Hainz?!” He complained, dropping his pen. Weiss replied blandly.

“She was one of the last empresses in the revelation age who fought against humans, trying to save the last dragons.” Al groaned.

“Who cares?! She failed! There is no point for me to learn about her!” While complaining, I spotted Geo, holding a book just a few meters from us. He had a dark look as he stared at Al. He must be annoyed at how loud Al was being.

“Al, please be quiet,” I told him. His complaints grew quieter as he continued to write about ‘pointless’ moments in history. Al thought that all who lost needed to be erased from history. Only the winners are allowed to be written down and glorified.

But if that were the case, history would be a lot more… dull. Hearing about a nation that grew as large as an empire, only to become split into three countries by power-hungry princesses and princes. Those countries eventually collapse due to economical issues or losing in a war. They were once at the very top but eventually disappeared because of time. If you were to erase decades of history because of it, that would be ridiculous.

At times, winners like to twist the truth. Who knows if what we’re reading actually happened. 

I became absorbed in my reading, turning the pages. The intricate world-building had become real and I was eager to compare what might’ve been added or removed. But I stopped, feeling something hit my leg.

“Ouch!” I let out, clutching my leg. I sent Weiss a death glare.

“Why did you just kick me?” He looked abashed as he pointed at Oden. Oden blinked innocently.

“I was trying to kick Oden.”

“Why were you trying to kick him?” I repeated coldly. 

“Because he began kicking me first! I was wondering what mosquito was biting my leg until I saw his smug face!” 

Oden gasped. “Mosquito bite? You were wincing in pain, I know you felt it!” 

Weiss shook his head. “Have you ever heard of acting?”

The two leered at each other, the tension growing. I slammed my hand down.

“If you two idiots stopped fighting all the time, then—!“

I felt a hand tap my shoulder. I turned to face the librarian. 

“This is the third time that you three have caused a commotion. I’ll give you three minutes to leave.” I tensed up.

“Y-yes.” I picked my books up, all while frowning at Oden and Weiss who hadn’t broken eye contact.

We left the library. Grabbing the thickest book in Al’s hand, I whacked Weiss with it and did the same to Oden.

“Ow, my face!” They both said, crying out in pain. I gave Al the book back as I stared the two down.

“If you two stop bickering all the time, I won't have to resort to violence!”

“But you’re always violent.” Oden said, rubbing his cheeks.”

“Yeah, violence is your first resort.”

Smiling, my hand inched to the book again.

“Okay okay, we’ll stop fighting!” Weiss raised his hands. Oden reluctantly nodded. The two looked at each other, before turning away.

Sighing, I stared at them. It had been a few days since Oden befriended us. But he and Weiss were still fighting like cats and dogs. The day that they’d get along was when the world would end...

Walking with Al, I looked back at the two who were blatantly ignoring each other.

They were hopeless

Short chapter but I hope you like it! I had fun writing it! Oh and my schedule will become unreliable by next week so I plan on writing one more chapter before then!

Thanks for reading!

3