2. I am you and you are me
1.2k 5 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Without warning, we were teleported into our next life.

I didn't get a moment to catch my breath or turn around to face my classmates. Apparently, the heavenly official was eager to move onto the next case, and he didn't even hesitate a single second before stamping the divine paperwork. Thinking about it, we spent a year waiting in line to get an audience with God, but the final meeting was extremely brief and underwhelming.

God said: "Un.

And then there was a flash of light.

Honestly, I had been hoping to receive an explanation or at least a tutorial for my situation, but instructions weren't included in the package. Evidently, the Heavenly Courthouse prioritized efficiency over anything else, and they couldn't even spare a minor spirit to ease our transition into a new isekai world, which was seriously a bit scuffed on their part.

Couldn't they at least take a little bit of responsibility for frivolously reincarnating human souls?

Instead, I simply blinked once.

Ah.

Hold a moment.

I was currently standing with a basket of dirty laundry in my arms.

Suddenly, a deluge of memories flooded into my brain, and I reflexively reached up to clutch my head. It seriously hurt a lot, almost like someone unlocked a dam in my brain. My mind was a rapidly expanding water balloon, and it felt like I was going to explode. Foreign thoughts and emotions had abruptly invaded my psyche, and I was suddenly afraid that an alien spirit was trying to take over my body.

I dropped the basket of laundry in alarm and clothes spilled over the floor.

A moments later, I suddenly realized that it wasn't my own brain being invaded. Rather, it was the exact opposite, and I had suddenly taken over someone else's body without warning. My consciousness had abruptly inserted itself into an innocent bystander's mind, and now I had two sets of memories inside of my head.

'I' was Hanamarie (Hana) Stilaria, a simple yet talented 20-year-old maid who was employed in the royal palace. I had traveled to the capital city from my hometown two provinces away because my father was an ex-soldier who lost his legs in the frontier wars, and my mother and six younger siblings had no income. On the first Tuesday of every month, I would mail 75% of my earnings back home along with a loving letter to my younger sister. Otherwise, I was on the marriage market trying to find a wealthy merchant bachelor who would be able to solve all my family financial problems.

Meanwhile, the other 'me' was Zhang Guiyu, a 17-year-old useless high school student who recently died when her class bus drove off a cliff during the school camping trip near Mount Emei. Obviously, I have nothing good to say about myself, and it's already plainly obvious which one of us is totally dead weight in the pair.

I became keenly aware of the fact that there were two of 'me' now. Both of us inhabited the same body, and both of us were now the same person. Our thoughts were fused together, and it was impossible to distinguish which were mine and which were hers. Our personalities had essentially blended together, and the new me was simply just 'me'.

Surprisingly, I wasn't all that bothered by this, and my pounding headache slowly resolved in about ten minutes. My current condition felt totally fine, and I didn't feel ill or sick. I reached down to pick up the basket of laundry that I dropped on the floor, and I was ready to continue on with my day. I had quite a list of tasks to complete, and I needed to deliver this basket of laundry to the palace washroom before wiping the kitchen floor.

I could easily infer that this event had occurred because of my request to God.

I had asked to become a NPC.

I had no idea what happened to the rest of my classmates from Earth, but they weren't anywhere to be seen. The only reasonable conclusion was that my wish was successful, and now 'Guiyu' had become 'Hana' — simple maid who worked in the royal palace. Of course, I was also a high school student who isekai'd from Earth, but I seemed rather eager to discard that element of my former self.

My past life on Earth isn't at all important.

Call me shameless, perhaps.

However, I genuinely think that disappearing like this is so convenient.

I don't want to deal with my classmates from another world.

 

55