Solace
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I am a caretaker, a guardian. I have no known origin or familial connections, I was born as I have always been, my features unknown to myself and my clothing in seemingly impeccable condition permanently.

I have no given name in the memories I was born with and was only handed them to fulfill an assignment. On this artificial yet paradisical world at the break of dawn near these 'empty' homes, I walk to a cave.

The cave, in spite of the sheer darkness that no light can pierce gives off an aura that means no harm and bears from it's endless shadow a vulnerable life.

Before me, wrapped in a blanket and examining it's surroundings anxiously is an infant of any species. What do I mean by that? I mean any I was given memories of and those I was not. 

I am never alone in my endeavor, wooden puppets wait as I bring the child in my arms outside of the cave, they never dare get too close to it despite the lack of harm I exhibit whenever I exit.

Sometimes there is only ever one child, other times it is multiple. It makes no difference as the puppets take the extra ones and care for them as I would, they were made for that after all, it is only right.

I cannot describe the result of my tasks in much detail, but I only know that if they seem fulfilled, the child will slowly but surely became ephemeral, yet physical contact is never a problem despite this. 

Eventually, I am left with a ball of bright light. I have noticed that whenever this process is ongoing, the day is endless, but there is no physical or mental exhaustion despite this. The day never moves forward unless the requirements are met.

When it does, sunset can finally arrive, and I am to take this ball to the only building made of many materials unknown. It overwhelms the surroundings in an imposing manner, the wood and prismarine align in a paradoxical manner that doesn't make it unpleasant.

The entrance only ever opens when the infant is in this form, and the burst of calm yet cool breeze to send hairs raising in a world with the only change being the day/night cycle is as remarkable as the first time. 

It is impossible to wander without making your presence known, my footwear echoing through the walls, my senses ever so keen to the surroundings.

The entrances to these branching locations only ever reflect the initial hallway, warding me from peeking beyond. I only continue at a leisurely pace to the very end of the hallway, where one entrance is unlike the others, allowing my gaze into the inside.

No matter the speed, nothing is ever beyond reach. This room is painted with swirls and stars, murals for creatures and weapons abound. Chaotic in description yet orderly in my view, this never becomes too exhausting to witness over and over again. In my musing, I had forgotten what I was here for. At the very end of the room lay a tube lined in symbols that if viewed with your eye, reveals to you an endless sky.

The symbols shine as I approach, reacting to the being I hold so gently in my hands, it brightens in return as if a chemical reaction is ongoing, energized by their presence like magnets to one another.

I gingerly put the bright ball of light above the tube, the symbols liquefied as they mixed and meshed with the orb, it shone a deep and commanding red as I slowly turned my hand down, my fingers releasing their grip.

I do so completely, and it floats below to the endless sky, I follow it with my eyes until it vanishes into the clouds. I leave with an inexplicable mood, the entrance to the room I was in moments ago closing itself off, and like a mirror only reflected the hallway, I am never present in that reflection.

It is always this way, to know these innocent beings for only a short time, only to say goodbye when I grow to see them as more than an objective. The door to this unknowable building shuts behind me, the familiar sound of strangled wind to send me off.

I hold no name, yet in the memories I hold, there lies a word I would like to make a name. It always comes to mind when I find myself in this mood, yet I feared having one, for no one would ever say it.

Solace.

I would like to be this, for I know not whom I receive these beings from or where I send them, I only hope what I do is not in vain of my wishes, as none can rebuke or affirm my suspicions or conclusions.

I am alone yet content, wondering if the only companionship I will know is the bond that always ends or the bond that never begins, I would like to know someday, and if you find this, please let me know.

Can you hear me?

0