Chapter 19
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Three days after the negotiations with Bush, a Lambda called Kestrel was about to give birth to pups. She went into labour a few hours before dawn. Meadow’s pups and Forestson were ushered out of the pups’ den to give the Theta, Iota and Kestrel’s mate space. Forest, as well as many other wolves, were pacing restlessly outside the pups' den as they helplessly listened to Kestrel’s cries of pain. We might have to go to battle any day now, this is a terrible time to have newborn pups in the pack, Forest thought. The tension in the air was so tight Forest thought he could slice it with his claws. This was a rare occasion where nearly the whole pack gathered together for something other than eating or an important meeting. The wolves could hear the frantic mutterings of the father in the den as well as the Theta’s cool, clear and calm voice telling Kestrel what to do. Finally, after about two hours, the Iota emerged from the den, tired but with a victorious expression. 

“Kestrel has given birth to four healthy pups. The parents said they will present their pups later today, but said the Alphas can come in any time they want.” reported Pigeon.

The pack gave a collective shout of joy and calls of congratulations could be heard all around the camp. Forest and Rose decided to meet with the parents and their new pups straight away.

“Congratulations, Kestrel and Hoot! How are you?” Forest asked once they were in the den.

“Tired, but very happy.” the she-wolf replied.

“These pups are so beautiful! What are you going to name them?” remarked Rose.

“Yeah, they are bundles of joy, aren’t they? We haven’t decided names yet, but we can do that later.” the father, Hoot, replied, gazing at his pups adoringly.

Forest vowed that he would do whatever he could to keep all the precious pups safe from whatever enemy they faced.

 

“Alpha, Alpha, I-I accidentally crossed the border!” yelled a Lambda as he burst into camp.

Forest spun around like a whirlwind, his gaze fixated on the Lambda. It was four days after the birth of the newest pups, and Forest had been dreading this moment for a week now.

“You-you did what?” he gasped.

“I was chasing this really fat and juicy rabbit when I accidentally crossed the border with the Pack of the Bush. I only realised when I caught the rabbit and came back.” recounted the Lambda.

Forest’s heart pounded so hard his chest ached and his head felt light.

“War,” he croaked, “this means war.” 

He shook himself. Now was not the time to freak out and hide away like a pup. Now was the time to become a proper leader. He remembered the plan he made with Rose about what they should do when they attacked.

“Take a few other Lambdas with you and tell every packmate you see to come back to camp.” he commanded.

“Yes Alpha.” the Lambda replied before running off. 

“I’ll go and tell Meadow’s family, Kestrel’s family and Forestson.” decided Rose.

 

Forest went over the plan again in his head. It wasn’t a complicated one, not really. Just one that would protect the most vulnerable packmates and help them win the battle. When he saw that most of the wolves were back, he called a pack meeting, and stood atop the rock with Rose.

“One of our wolves has accidentally crossed the border. I have no doubt that the Pack of the Bush will smell our scent soon and the battle I warned you about a week ago is coming. Rose and I have discussed this, and we think it’s most likely the Pack of the Bush will attack at night, when we can’t see them approaching our territory. We will be at the border after nightfall, so when they come, we won’t be surprised. The Alphas, the Zeta, the Etas, the Kappa and the eight highest-ranked Lambdas will go to battle. The Iota can come with us to treat any severely injured wolves on the scene. The rest of you, stay home and guard the camp. Is this clear?” declared Forest.

“What is the sense in risking the Alphas’ lives in battle while the Beta and Delta sit idly in camp? Ash and I should fight instead of you two.” called Amber.

“We want to fight because we think we may be able to persuade Bush to call off the battle. Don’t worry, we’ll stay safe out there.” explained Rose.

Amber nodded and settled back down, but there was clear anxiety and unrest in her eyes.

“You should eat something now and take a nap before the battle.” Forest advised.

 

It was nightfall, and Forest and his packmates were standing in a thin but tight line across their border with the Pack of the Bush. It was a dark, calm night. Clouds obscured the moon and the air was still and silent. Whenever the bushes rustled, the wolves jumped, thinking it was the enemy. When the enemy actually came, the bushes rustled much louder.

“I know you’re there, Bush.” Forest called out.

Their enemies froze for a brief second before Bush and Holly stepped forward.

“We were hoping to surprise you, but we predicted you would be here,” said Bush.

His voice was cold and remorseless, and Forest wondered how his former friend could be so ruthless.

“There needn’t be a battle or war, Alphas. I swear to the Pack of the Sun and Moon that I didn’t send wolves over the border. They crossed accidentally, just like yours did. This is a huge misunderstanding. There is no reason to fight.” announced Forest.

“If we were going to believe you, we would have a week ago.” snarled Holly.

“May the best pack win.” declared Bush.

 

At the wave of tails from their Alphas, the wolves from the two sides leapt at each other, claws unsheathed and fangs extended. The silence was filled with howls, growls and the sound of bodies hitting the ground. Forest wanted to fight his way over to Bush quickly, but he was surrounded by his own wolves, as Forest was with his own. Forest and Rose decided to fight some wolves by themselves in the meantime so they could weaken the rival army and have more ground for negotiation later. Forest and Rose fought back to back, never leaving each others’ side. Forest found himself face-to-face with an aggressive-looking he-wolf.

“Must suck to have started a war.” the he-wolf sneered.

Forest growled at him, then slashed his muzzle. How glad he was that these obnoxious wolves weren’t his packmates. For a second he felt sorry for Bush. Having to deal with a whole pack of buffoons must be hard. Then he remembered that he started an unnecessary war, and his blood boiled with rage again. He dealt a heavy blow to his enemy’s head, and knocked him over on his side. Then he pounced on him, scoring a deep claw mark down his side that he’ll never forget. The he-wolf howled in pain.

“Yield.” Forest snarled, hovering his face only several hair-lengths above his enemy’s face.

“Never.” he growled.

0