Chapter 1 – Part 3
43 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I wander around the street a bit more, taking my time to admire all the armours and weapons I see before deciding to finally move on.

What appears to be the main street lies ahead as more vehicle traffic is passing through. Giant gerbil-like creatures, dragging carriages gallop alongside carts while pedestrians pass by, not even batting an eye at the odd sight. The gerbils are similar to the gerbil the man passing crates at the market was riding, but they appear to be a bigger breed.

The buildings here consist of what seem to be several other establishments I don’t recognise. Purple vines with leaves of the same colour growing on them crawl along the top of some of the buildings.

It seems that the buildings right next to the main road are mostly built out of stone while the ones behind are mostly wooden.

Many kinds of people, most men interestingly enough, are walking in and out of the buildings conversing with one another.

My stomach then rumbles and the sky starts turning into a bright orange hue. Things are looking quite glum. I have nothing, yet my needs still call out to me.

Come on, think brain. Think. I need to form a plan.

I know that I must confirm three things.

One is knowing where I am. I remember the mysterious goddess, Raquia, telling me that the world’s name is Camavira. I need to quickly learn its culture and situation if I want to survive. Knowing where I am in the world and what the situation is would be good. Depending on the circumstances I could become a construction worker, perhaps a messenger or a soldier if it gets that dire.

If their prison works similarly to modern times, I could go there for free food, but I’ll likely just get hanged.

Two is what Raquia gave me, who exactly that goddess is, and what the force she’s talking about is. I can assume that part of the power is the power to understand what these people are saying. If I recall correctly, she told me to find its name, learn it, and then give it to her. A force beyond a goddess’ power, however… I don’t even know where I could begin to look for that.

I might try asking people I become acquainted with about it.

Three is that I must know if I can learn this world’s magic. 

Mhm, this is simply a must. 

Though if it turns out I’m complete trash and I’m incompatible with it, while disappointing, it’s not the end of the world. I can learn swordsmanship maybe.

As a fantasy fan, however, I can’t help but tremble with excitement thinking about the fact that learning magic is on the table. It was something completely impossible back on Earth, but now I can finally learn something I’m interested in.

Take that, everyone who said I needed to get a “real hobby”.

I can at least be at peace with the fact that it’s not feared or taboo considering a street performer could perform magic in front of people and not be reprimanded for it.

Those are out of the question right now, maybe I can find some dropped change or something. Looking around some more shouldn’t hurt.

Sleeping in an inn would be ideal.

Across from me sits a large building with a decently sized archway leading inside.

Many of those walking in and out of this building can’t be described as anything other than adventurers. 

Most of them are wearing purple, brown, or grey gear that looks to be for rough terrain and combat, with others wearing robes and heavier armour. Almost all of them are holding weapons. There’s a surprising lack of mage looking people ever since the one I saw in the plaza.

The lack of diversity of races surprises me quite a lot. At first, the shock of it all made me focus solely on them, but I’ve now realised that it’s mostly just Humans and Halflings. Or more correctly, Dwen.

I see a couple of what I think are Orcs and the Kemonomimi, but where are all the Elves and the Dwarves? It feels a bit weird not to see them.

Honestly, I was looking forward to the possibility of being able to touch an elf’s ear. To be fair though, I could see them avoiding humans which is perfectly understandable.

I wait for a gap in the oncoming traffic, which is honestly pretty easy since they’re moving relatively slowly, and proceed to get closer for a better view of the inside of the establishment.

Inside, a myriad of rowdy individuals who look similar to the people outside sits at tables, loudly talking amongst themselves. Humans, dwarves, elves and other races are sitting with each other in cultural exchange, happily sharing a pint… is what I would want to say. 

I step inside and people are enjoying themselves indeed, but it's mostly just humans sitting with other humans and Dwen sitting with other Dwen. The other races consist of a brown-haired Hispanic looking man sitting at a table in the corner, wearing a large hat with a feather on it. Cat ears are poking out of his hat. He looks like he came out straight out of the three musketeers with two rapiers strapped to his side and a strange guitar-like string instrument on his back. 

Sitting with him is a burly orc, or maybe half-orc with an eye patch and a mohawk, bare-chested with a large longsword strapped to his back. The third person at their table is a cloaked figure, devoid of any notable features. 

The cloaked individual catches me staring at them, causing me to swiftly look away.

So a bard, some orc and a possible plot starting device. That looks like an adventure waiting to happen.

To my left is a large board containing many different pieces of black parchment stuck to it. A couple of groups of people are standing in front, inspecting what’s on the board.

At the far back are what appear to be three receptionists, two of them are female half-orc, quite attractive if I do say so myself, and one is simply a human girl, not quite as lucky. There’s a decent amount of people lined up, with quite a few talking to them, many of them presenting pieces of parchment and animal parts, gaining clinking sacks of currency in return.

Here I am, standing in an adventurer’s guild. 

I honestly can’t help but smile.

Eavesdropping on the conversations, I can’t really focus on each of them at once, but I can say that the human’s words have a noticeable British tang, while the Dwen are Spanish. Perhaps all humans have this accent while the others have a Spanish one. Perhaps one or the other are foreigners. 

I then approach the board to take a look at what I assume are the available quests. 

Looking at the contents, the writing is white to contrast with the dark parchment it rests on. It seems to even glow a little.

Is this even parchment?

At first glance, it looks like the posters had normal writing, but I’ve made a new realisation. 

In this world, I am illiterate.  Not that surprising to be honest.

The best way I can describe the symbols is that they somewhat resemble Hangul and have a tinge of the Greek alphabet.

I continue examining the posters. Each one differs in quality and handwriting, with the lower quality parchment having more rip and tear, as well as fainter white writing. The higher quality posters not only have none of these problems, but they also have illustrations of strange beasts or locations on them. 

On each one is a huge red stamped symbol on the top right of the paper. This is probably the difficulty or ranking on the quest.

Discerning what’s a higher level quest from the others isn’t hard since most of the good quality posters have the same two symbols, while the low-quality ones have two different symbols on them. 

There are a couple of mixes and matches with some low-quality quests having the symbol for the high-quality ones and vice versa, but that’s probably just from a lack of resources or something. 

On top of the board are three pieces of black parchment with gold lining their edges. The illustrations on these are almost photorealistic. One depicts a gigantic boar trampling over what look to be trees. The second is a large hole with strange-looking steam coming out of it, along with a drawing of a skull and crossbones on it. And of course, the final one contains a drawing of a dragon overlooking a cliff. The quintessential dragon quest.

A different symbol from the rest is stamped onto these. These are probably the difficulty rankings of each quest, going from ‘D’ to ‘S’.

I wish I could join this guild. Taking on these quests and going on grand adventures with teammates. 

If only I could have some strong warrior guy or a wizard girl with high magical prowess on my side already. I’m sure they’ll show up eventually

3