Chapter 2 – Part 2
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Though it’s embarrassing to admit it, I never had a job when I was on Earth. I'm 17, and everyone around me had a job, yet I sat around and did nothing. It’s not like I was a loser, or at least I didn’t think so, but it felt sad.

I’m about to change all of that. Even if they can’t see me, I’m about to show that even I can be a productive member of society.

Every time the Orcs even seem to glance behind them, I duck behind an object or blend into a group of people. I am stalking them after all.

Where they’re going seems to be following the main road, deeper and deeper into the city.

The farther in we go, the more stone buildings appear and the cleaner the streets and buildings look.

They eventually make a turn into a street where a large pile of stone blocks, what looks like a mortar, and square spades with sharp tips lie on the road.

They approach a short, stockier, red-skinned Orc with an annoyed look on his face.

“Late once again boyz?” He says while tapping his foot.

“Soz boss. Our breakfast took forever to come out it did.”

“Sounds like it also took forever to come in.”

He chuckles to himself, then sighs.

“You found anyone to work in today?”

The three Orcs shuffle around. They look at each other until the silent one eventually breaks out shaking his head.

“Soz boss, no one but skinny Humies today.”

“Well, maybe one of ta skinny Humies could outwrestle you out! Use your eyes!”

As I get closer, their boss and I make eye contact. He then scans my body while his red hairy hand holds his chin.

“Boss ya’re not thinking of-“

“I can’t believe it. Tis Humie has hair as black as a night of double grey moons! Come, boy, have ya worked in construction before?”

Sweat starts to drip down my brow. You could say this is the luckiest first job ever. I’m instantly hired, but then I’m immediately asked something I can’t answer.

“No Cordia,” I say while putting my arms in an x.

“What?” The boss looks at me perplexed.

I repeat myself, but I shake my head instead.

“Oh. I see.”

“Boss. Ya said this about ta Humie with knife ears.” 

“Ta Humie can’t even Cordia he can’t! Never mind him not being remotely Orcy. How can we even talk?”

“C’mon, you know how humans are, their abilities are as vast and volatile as they come. Just like that Ornna girl, she was born stronger than even us.”

“But boss, ta Orrna girl’s under fire right now.”

“That’s besides ta point,” he then turns to me. “Ya know a thing or two about stacking stone and houses and all that fog don’t ya?” He looks at me expectantly.

I nod in response.

“See?”

Groans and exasperated sighs come from the three Orcs behind him.

“Just follow Barka over there, he’ll teach you ta hows.”

The formerly enthusiastic Ofc rolls his eyes. With his shoulders slumped and his eyes drooped, he gestures to me to follow him.

1