Chapter 2 – Part 6
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Afraid I can’t, kid. This sword just isn’t something I can buy.”

I blankly stare at this man as he hands me back the sword. After the alleyway shenanigans, I dusted myself off and decided to head toward the market.

It felt like a longer trundle than normal with my throbbing headache and all, but I was able to stumble my way to the street of blacksmiths. 

I have been to four different smiths and this is the only one that didn't shoo me away on sight. But here we are. This guy won't even buy one lousy sword.

“Why? Why won't you buy the damn sword?!”

My fist slams down on the counter. I’ve had enough of these people.

“Listen up beggar. I let you in here cause I thought you’d be desperate enough to sell a family heirloom or something else extremely valuable. Throwing a tantrum won’t increase your chances of selling an Ornna sword to me. You know that guy’s low enough to sell these to the elves for their bodies right?”

A family heirloom… That’s it! 

Sorry lady, I’m desperate. I’ll pay you back someday. I take the blue moon charm out of my pocket and place it in front of the blacksmith. He stares at it, then back at me. His eyebrows furrow greatly.

“You serious? Where’d you even get this? Did you steal it? For the sake of the couple that owns this charm, I’m not buying it.”

Is this world actively trying to fuck me over? These are my only two possessions and this guy won't even buy them. That’s it. I feel too dizzy and sick for this shit. I’m going back to rot in my alleyway.

“Get out before I get accused of helping beggars.”

Before I leave though, it’s obligatory that I present the obligatory middle finger.

“Oh uh. Thanks?” He responds in a confused manner.

Of course, he takes it differently. Anger. Confusion. Anger. Confusion. These are the only responses I’ve gotten from these people. When was the last time I had a proper conversation? Was it with the goddess? That feels like it was ages ago now.

I can’t anymore. My head’s throbbing, everything smells like shit and I can’t even focus on what the guy’s saying.

I can’t believe I’m even thinking this, but I want to go home. I miss the warmth of my home. I miss my bed. I miss my phone. I miss the internet. I can barely even remember them, but I miss my family. I didn’t even think about it much but, three square meals a day was a luxury I took for granted.

To the best of my ability, I try to stumble my way back to my alleyway.

At this point, the sun has started to set. My seventh day, or at least what I think is my seventh day, here in Astata is about to end. 

It’s about time I leave, but I have to recover first.

As I slowly make my way to my alleyway, I have to pass through what I think is the Townsquare. I’m not exactly sure what it is. Sure, it might be a large open square in the middle of town but, normally there’d be a fountain or something nice here. Instead, they have a large platform for the gallows in the middle.

Lucky for me, it looks like I get to see it in action.

Five out of the eight ropes are being used. Oh, I recognise those two. It’s the guy who stole my bread and the guy who tried to help him. There’s a third person I recognize. It’s the baker who sold me bread at a discount. I… What the fuck? How did they even find that out? 

A crowd has gathered around while an Orc dressed in what seems to be noble’s clothing is making a speech.  

“Gather round! Gather round! Behold what happens to those who oppose the Rule of Iron! May this serve as a reminder from Her Majesty herself. We do not help the weak. We do not touch the weak. Strength is above all! It is what brought and will continue to bring prosperity to us all! May this serve as a reminder. All who spit in ta face of strength, all those who embrace weakness… They are creatures who defecate on ta very foundations of Sindever. Commence ta pre-stoning!”

The people in the crowd, adults and children alike, start throwing stones and rocks at the poor souls.

I better leave before this gets ugly.

It doesn’t normally take long for me to get back to the alleyway, but everything still feels off balance. 

After what felt like ages, I finally make it back to the alleyway.

It looks like my only choice is to leave this city and go outside. Before I leave, resting my head would be good so I can at least walk straight. I set up my tarp, or at least try to, and sit down while taking a gulp of water out of my bucket. 

Why… Why is everything so unfair?

I’ve tried almost everything and nothing, no opportunity would come to me. I feel like crying, but I can’t. I shouldn’t. I’d be dying by the time I start crying. Calm down man, you still have options, there are still things you can do.

I suppose I can rest my eyes again…

0