Chapter 51
602 3 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Pippa eventually dropped Ashleigh back at her apartment. She waved goodbye to Pippa, before deciding to stop and have a cigarette before she went upstairs. Her head still spinning with both the afternoon’s conversations with Pippa and her new experiences, as she placed her cigarette to her lips.

“I still can’t believe I’ve had lunch at the famous Sheridan restaurant…not to mention meeting chef Harriett,” she thought, taking a drag of her cigarette, as she stood in the cool winter air. It was only 3.30 pm and yet the sky was beginning to darken rather quickly.

“There is no way…Pippa can truly believe I would want to stay…this…way…can she?” she thought as she glanced at her small, delicate hands, with her long slender fingers. “Hmm…I wouldn’t mind getting my nails done again,” thought Ashleigh, inspecting the nail polish that had been applied before Pippa’s wedding, which was now beginning to chip around the edges. “Acrylics maybe?” she found herself pondering before quickly realising what she was thinking. “Holy shit…I know I promised Elijah…but I think I need to get back to normal…sooner rather than later,” she thought, giggling to herself before stubbing out her cigarette. “What would be the point…it would be a waste of both time and money,”  she pondered as she made her way inside the building.

When she reached the floor where she lived, she started to approach the door to her apartment. Once she had unlocked the door, she stepped in, only to find that everything inside the apartment was in darkness.

“Hmm…Elijah’s not home,” she thought as she took off her coat and hung it where it belonged before deciding to take a shower.

A short while later, Ashleigh was back in her bedroom, drying her hair before slipping into a red, silk negligee with a matching robe.

“How do girls cope with all of this?” Ashleigh asked herself, placing her hand on her stomach and gently rubbing in circles in an attempt to relieve her cramps. “Especially once a month…jeez,” she thought, making her way to the kitchen where she made herself a large mug of hot chocolate, whilst retrieving an unopened bar of chocolate from the fridge. “Definitely…well needed and well deserved,” she thought, smiling to herself as she curled up on the sofa, grabbing the fleece blanket and wrapping it around herself before turning on the TV. “perfect,” she said to herself, as she hugged one of the scatter cushions from the sofa.

There wasn't a lot of time left before Ashleigh heard a key enter the door and Elijah walked into the apartment.

“Comfortable there, are we?” said Elijah with a chuckle, noticing Ashleigh as she sat, or now rather lay watching TV.

Ashleigh quickly scowled at him before wildly waving her arm at him,

“MOVE,” she commanded, her eyes still fixed on the screen as best she could.

Elijah stepped back and glanced at the screen, it wasn’t the type of thing he expected her to be watching. And certainly not what Aaron would ever have watched.

“KISS HER YOU FOOL,” Ashleigh hollered at the TV, her words barely recognisable as her mouth was currently filled with chocolate and she waved her arms frantically.

Elijah squeezed himself onto the sofa, beside the outstretched Ashleigh, who leaned back into him as soon as he sat down. They watched together as the on-screen couple shared a long, passionate kiss together,

“She….she’s…she’s dying,” sobbed Ashleigh, her head now resting on Elijah’s lap.

“I know…I have seen this before,” stated Elijah, “I honestly didn’t think it would be your type of movie,”  he added, trying hard not to chuckle as he did so.

Ashleigh glanced up at him,

“It wouldn’t usually,” replied Ashleigh, “I just came across it and thought, hey, why not, there’s nothing else on,” said Ashleigh as she continued to sob.

“It’s okay,” said Elijah, placing his hand gently on top of Ashleigh’s head, “You might be just feeling a little emotional right now, that’s perfectly natural.”

Once again, Ashleigh looked up at him, yet this time it was a glare which made Elijah fall silent, very quickly indeed. Having seen the deep brown eyes of her friend, Ashleigh's expression began to soften quickly as she gazed into them for a moment. As she did so, Elijah softly smiled at her. There was a smile on his face which soon melted away any feelings of contempt that she had toward Elijah's previous statement. It wasn't long before Ashleigh began to experience the same emotions that she had felt previously, only this time, they weren't exactly the same. It was like the butterflies in her stomach had decided to wake once more, as they had done when she met James, their fluttering seemingly far more intense than ever before. Yet, at this moment, unlike anything she had ever come across before, she was also met with a feeling of warmth and security. Like nothing in the world could get to her, nor did it even matter. She felt as though she was wrapped up in some kind of bubble. One where only the two of them existed at that very moment, a moment that she wanted to last forever.

Ashleigh simply smiled back at her friend. She then diverted her gaze back toward the TV, yet not before draping Elijah’s arm over herself and snuggling in even closer, instantly strengthening her sense of warmth and security.

“I’ve…I’ve never felt…like…like this before,” thought Ashleigh, “I know that I agreed to go on dates with Elijah…but he’s my friend…I could never…” she thought, her eyes remaining fixated on the screen, yet her mind was clearly distracted. “There are far too many factors involved…it would never work…and Elijah deserves so much more than a quick fling…that could never last,” pondered Ashleigh, “I do wonder what he is thinking about though?”

As the pair continued to watch the remainder of the movie, Ashleigh remained exactly where she was. Ashleigh stayed nestled under the arm of her friend, who, on occasion, she would feel running his hands through her hair, gently massaging her scalp.

Ashleigh could feel herself beginning to drift off to sleep, feeling incredibly relaxed for the first time in what felt like forever.

The ending credits soon began to roll on the movie the friends had been watching. Ashleigh was again shedding tears at how the movie ended,

“That…that was beautiful,” she sobbed as she slowly sat up in her seat, turning to look at Elijah who was clearly unfazed by the emotion within the movie.

“As I explained, I’ve seen it previously, it’s not bad is it,” he replied with a smile.

 Now seated fully upright yet facing away from Elijah, Ashleigh tried her best to regain her composure,

“I need to get out of this situation… now,” thought Ashleigh, “I can’t do this…I already hurt James…poor Elijah…he doesn’t deserve this,”

“I think..I…I think I need to go to bed,” she uttered softly as she fought back the tears.

“Oh…very well,” replied Elijah looking down at his watch to check the time, whilst now sounding somewhat confused as to Ashleigh’s sudden body language shift.

Ashleigh rather quickly discarded the blanket and jumped up from her seat,

“Goodnight Elijah,” she uttered before stepping forward to make her swift escape. Her escape plan, however, came to a rather abrupt halt,

“Ashleigh,” stated Elijah, grabbing Ashleigh by the hand as he stood up, her own momentum forcing her to quickly turn back and face him. Ashleigh now stood a few inches in front of her friend, glancing up at him as he towered over her, she was close enough she could feel his breath on her face as he spoke. “Is everything alright?” asked Elijah softly.

“No…Elijah…no, it’s not,” thought Ashleigh, “I’m so confused right now…right now I just…I just want to…”

Ashleigh paused and took a deep breath,

“Sure…I’m just…tired,” she replied, giggling nervously as she avoided eye contact with her friend.

“Ashleigh…I…erm…” muttered Elijah, before chuckling softly, “It’s not like me, to be lost for words,” he added with a smile.

Ashleigh smiled,

“We can talk tomorrow, Elijah…goodnight,” she said as she carefully pulled away from his grasp.

Elijah took a deep breath and closed his eyes before looking in the direction where Ashleigh had headed,

“Goodnight…Ashleigh,” muttered Elijah as he watched Ashleigh close the bedroom door behind her.

As she closed the door, Ashleigh took a deep breath, closed her eyes and rested wither back against the door.

What the hell is happening to me…Elijah is my friend…nothing more,” thought Ashleigh as she opened her eyes and slipped out of her robe. “Come on Ashlei…I mean…Aaron…pull yourself together.”

Ashleigh made her way to her bed and drew back the covers. She quickly climbed inside and nestled herself within her duvet.

“I need to get back to normal as soon as possible… There’s no way I’m allowing Pippa to be right,” she thought as she turned onto her side, her head now resting on her arm. However, once more she caught the scent of Elijah’s aftershave as it lingered on her body. Inhaling deeply, she rubbed her head into the crook of her arm, taking in the musky scent that lingered on her skin. As she did so, the feelings she had experienced seemed to return in a flash, the sense of warmth, security and butterflies which she had experienced earlier in the day all returned at the same time. “Maybe…maybe another week or so…then I want to be back to normal…maybe,” she pondered as she closed her eyes.

16