1-4 The kindness of strangers
27 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He stood tall and straight, his hands clasped behind his back as he looked out the window. From his office in the temple of Astikar, he could see into the courtyard below. Brothers of the faith ran about on their various chores and tasks. All of them were busy these days as the war dragged on, and the reports grew dire. There were calls for reinforcements from every fort in the hills, assuring him they didn’t have the men to hold on for long.

There were no more men to send except those still in training. Already the temples across the old empire were pressed into supplying men. In some cases, temples had only three priests out of twenty left to maintain order.

Some of the bishops were beginning to complain about Gersius and the men with him. There were suggestions that he should be recalled and his men sent to the front where they could do some real good. There was also a rumor that they would challenge his decision to let Gersius go as if they had any ground to stand on. Gersius turned the order on its head by challenging them directly and demanding his right to go. Not one of them could deny Gersius, least of all him.

Now the war had become one of stagnation and defense. The various commanders were hesitant to take the offense without Gersius present on the front. Instead, they filled reports asking for men and materials in an effort to make up for lack of experience with numbers. He read the reports and the sealed letter that arrived by special messenger. Everything was on hold until Gersius crawled out of whatever dark hole he managed to get lost in.

His gaze went out beyond the walls of the monastery to the city of Kingsbridge. It was a far cry from the splendor of Calathen, but it had significant holdings for the order of Astikar. He moved his office and staff to this city after Gersius left. He wanted to be closer in the event that things did not go according to plan.

He hoped to find some word of Gersius’s passing, but the people of the city had nothing to say. Gersius hadn’t come through Kingsbridge, nor was he seen on any of the roads to the north. That could only mean Gersius was trying to remain hidden and traveling an unconventional route. Why was he going to great lengths to hide his passing? What was the man planning?

Another mystery was that Gersius had met with key friends an allies before leaving. None of them would reveal what those meetings entailed, and would only suggest that it was advice on how to keep the Doan at bay. He suspected otherwise but could not take stronger action to get the truth. Gersius was a hero of the order and had the support of many of his subordinates. Such action would raise too many eyebrows, and uncomfortable questions would be asked. What had this hero told them before running after his dragon? What plans were laid within plans by the order's greatest strategist?

A knock on the door brought him back to the office around him.

“Do come in,” he called with a smooth voice turning to face the doorway of his study.

“Father Abbot,” came the dull voice of a man with short black hair. He entered the room, briefly falling to one knee in supplication. He was a giant of a man, garbed in nearly black armor, with red trims. On his breastplate was the red star of Astikar, and on his shoulder a red ravens head.

“Has there been news of the expedition?” he asked, hopeful that something had finally been discovered.

“There is news,” the man said, getting up and walking calmly across the red rug covered floor. “There was a slaughter deep in the Greenwall south of Connersdell,” he said, coming to a red cushioned chair of polished wood that sat before an ornate desk. He casually took a seat struggling slightly to bend in his armor. He then looked up at the Father Abbot, an overconfident smile on his face.

“A hundred bandersooks dead, the forest was littered with bodies,” he said, taking a sudden interest in his fingernails.

“And the brothers, have they been located?” the father asked, growing impatient.

“All dead,” the man said, picking at a finger with his other hand.

“Astikar be merciful,” The Father Abbot said, going pale. “Poor Gersius, he was so sure.”

“Gersius wasn't among them,” the man added in his dull voice.

“You just told me all the brothers were dead!” the Father Abbot growled his voice growing agitated. His aged but strong face was narrow, his brows were high on his head, and his eyes were focused and piercing. He wore the layers of red and white robes that befit his station with the red star of Astikar emblazoned on every surface.

“All the brothers are dead. The fool Gersius is not a brother as far as I am concerned.”

“Your concerns are not part of this conversation. I asked you to find Gersius and the host he leads,” the Father Abbot said, slamming a fist on the desk. “Our situation in the war in tenuous. We cannot allow a variable like Gersius to go uncounted for.” He accentuated his point by pointing a long finger right at the armored man.

“You were the one who allowed him to go. There were those who objected to his fool's errand.”

“You watch your tongue brother Dellain,” the Father Abbot said, leaning over the desk. “I allow you freedom of mannerisms because I value your ability to get the job done. But do not think I will tolerate you throwing daggers at me. Gersius evoked his right as a knight captain to demand men; none of us could deny him.” He took a moment to study Dellain's face and straightened up, standing tall with his head thrown back and looking down his nose at the man. “Gersius is one of the greatest of the battle priests, and his victories are legend. If he still lives, then there is still hope.”

“As you say.”

“I do say,” the man yelled, cutting him off. He turned and walked back to the window, watching the clergy below run about again.

“This really has you upset, then?” Dellain asked.

The Father Abbot folded his hands behind his back and turned to glare at Dellain.

“There is the prophecy to contend with. You know what it says.”

Dellain shook his head. “How is Gersius twice blessed? Where is the so-called daughter of the harvest who cries black tears? Where is the daughter of the silver moon? When was he ever rescued by the vengeful blue lover? And where in all the land is the queen of the red star?”

The Father Abbot continued to look out the window. “There are many signs of the prophecy. Just because we cannot attribute them to him yet does not mean he will not achieve them.”

“The queen of the red star can only mean a priestess of Astikar. There are no priestesses of Astikar.”

“That we know of,” the tall man at the window said.

“What about ‘he will stand against the father and hurl accusations?’ Dellain said. “That can only mean he will come to face you?”

“If that is the proper interpretation, then yes, he will.”

“He won’t set foot in Calathen again. He has failed his mission and will run like a coward.”

The man at the window turned. His eyes glaring at Dellain with disgust. “A coward? Gersius? This is the man who defeated the ettins and battled through the gates of Holdiheim to capture the city. Did he run from the armies of Duke Granor? Did he run from his posting on the front? No brother Dellain, Gersius, is still alive and on his mission. If he failed to find a dragon, then I can assure you he is looking for another.”

“Maybe the dragon killed him. The fool probably went on alone and was eaten,” Dellain suggested.

The Father Abbot nodded. “I have reason to believe he is still alive. And as such is probably scouring the towns looking for information on a second dragon.”

“Why wouldn’t he capture the first one?” Dellain asked.

“Because he can’t!” the Father Abbot shouted. He looked at Dellain with a tense gaze and shook his head. “Find Millin, Storick, and Jessivel. I will give you a message for each of them. Tell them to search the eastern towns along the ice fangs, and find Gersius,” he said in an even voice.

“I can find him with a little more time,” Dellain volunteered.

“No brother Dellain, I have a new task for you,” the Father Abbot said. Yes, a new plan of action was called for here, the loss of so many brothers, even young recruits, was a devastating blow, but one he had planned for. Gersius not being lost with them, well, a change of plans was needed.


Gersius and Lilly hurried down the muddy road, eager to be away. They spent a tense night camped in the woods, but thankfully the bandersooks had not reappeared. Lilly insisted on being in her dragon form through the night feeling vulnerable in her human form. They set out early the next day and pushed hard to gain ground. Gersius frequently stopped to search the surroundings and listen to the woods. Only when he was satisfied there was no danger did he press on.

Lilly was a little more talkative though she mostly spoke about wanting to fly. He felt pity for her and the condition of her wings. He could tell they meant everything to her and was terribly hurt over their loss. There was a slim chance at hope waiting for her in Calathen.

It was an act of desperation he knew, but if it worked, it would solve both their problems. He would have the dragon he needed, and she would have her wings back. There was a great deal of doubt attached to it all, however, not the least of which was she was a dragon.

The thought plagued his mind all day as they walked. The road eventually became broader, and the woods started to give way to large patches of dense green grassland. A few hours more and the sun began to dip low in the sky, painting the clouds in reds and oranges. He knew there were perhaps two hours of light left, and the first farms were easily that far away.

It was near dusk when they finally walked into open fields planted in oats and wheat. Over the hill, he could see the distant smoke of chimney fires.

“Another half an hour and we should reach the closest farm,” he said as they walked down the road.

“Will there be other rodents there?” Lilly asked, looking unsure.

“I am going to the first house we find and see if they have someplace, we can sleep for the night, and maybe something for you to wear.” He ignored her question. It was the fifth time she'd asked it in the last hour. She already knew the answer, and he didn't know how to reassure her. When the first house came into sight, she slowed as if trying to delay the coming encounter.

It was a small farmhouse of no more than two or three rooms. It sat off the road by maybe fifty paces with a low fence of stones that separated the yard from the road. The walls were made mostly of stone and mortar, and rough wood beams that had long since gone gray with age. Its roof was finished off in a yellowing thatch that dipped slightly in the center and was thinning on one side. Smoke drifted lazily from a chimney of stone, and a dim light could be seen through the only tiny window it had. There were three other buildings in the yard of various sizes. He guessed these were probably barns and perhaps a workshop, indicating a busy farm.

“Wait here,” he told her as they approached the walkway of rocks and moss that led to the door. “Let me talk to them first.”

Lilly nodded her consent and waited by the roadside, happy to not get any closer. She watched him go toward the building, his armor rustling as he walked. He reached a wooden rectangle made a loud tapping sound when he struck it with his hand. A moment later, it cracked open, a beam of yellow falling into the yard. A tall, thin man in a dirty white shirt appeared in the entrance. He was bathed in the light from beyond the door, and Lilly was transfixed by the sight. Gersius and the man started talking, but she could not hear what they were saying. She felt uncomfortable waiting in the shadows by the roadside wearing nothing but his cloak. She blinked her eyes to adjust them to the dark, and the scene lit up nearly as bright as day. At least she still had her dragon sight, and could now clearly see the land all around them.

Gersius turned and pointed in her direction, and the man leaned out as if looking to see. They were talking about her, she fumed. The conversation went on for a few more minutes before Gersius finally pulled his pack off and fished around inside it. He handed the man something that he shook before nodding his head. Gersius waved and turned, walking back to where she waited.

“The farm is owned by a couple and their three children,” he said. “They are going to let us into the house for a meal, while the farmer and the oldest boy clean out a room in the barn.”

“There are five rodents in there?” she asked, looking concerned.

“There are four, one of them is away. I told them that I rescued you just this morning from a slaver who used magic to charm you.”

“Why would you tell them that?” she asked, annoyed.

“So, I did not have to explain why you were naked and why your eyes are glowing.”

“My eyes are glowing?” she said as she lifted her hands to her face. She held her hands close to her eyes and saw the blue light reflected faintly on her skin. “I never realized they did that. I don’t even notice it.”

“They have already eaten supper, but he says there is plenty of soup left and will reheat it for us. The eldest daughter is away, and the youngest daughter is in bed. So you should not be surrounded by people if that helps you feel more comfortable.”

Lilly looked down and pursed her lips as she gave him a little nod.

“The farmer's wife is digging through her eldest daughter's old clothes to see if she can find you something to wear,” he added.

“They believe what you say about me?” she asked.

Gersius went to put a hand on her shoulder, but she recoiled, so he settled for just having her attention. “Lilly, under normal circumstances, I would never lie to anybody,” he said, looking at her directly. “But in this case, I must in order to protect you. These people will see your eyes and ask questions I do not want to answer. If we raise the alarm, things could become more difficult for us.”

“I am frightened of this. I don’t know if I can go in there,” she said, gesturing to the house.

Gersius thought of his earlier observations. He was going to have to lead her through this like a father leads a young daughter. She was a grown woman in body and had a tongue as sharp as an angry mother, but her understanding of human interactions was woefully lacking. She was frightened even to be around them.

“Do you trust me?” he asked her.

She looked at him, puzzled. “No,” she said.

“You do not trust me?” he asked with surprise.

“I am your slave,” she said with disgust. “I have to follow your commands and do what you say. That is hardly a reason to trust you.”

He nodded his head. “I hoped you would start to see I am trying to be kind to you.”’

“You're being kind to me? How is not knowing why you bound me or where you're taking me kind? To me, all your doing is dragging me away from my home.”

“I am sorry. I sometimes struggle to understand,” he started to say.

“Where is Calathen? How far away is it? Why are you taking me there?

“This is not the time or place for this conversation,” he told her, looking her in the eyes.

“Are you taking me there to sell me? Are you going to parade me around like a trophy? Are you going to—” She turned her face away from his with a look of disgust.

“Lilly,” he said, finally grabbing her shoulders to get her attention. “I swore to you I would treat you with honor and respect. I swore to limit your binding to a year and a day. I also swore never to reveal your true name to anyone.” His voice was dark, and his eyes burned with an intensity that made her wish she could step back. “Never would I sell you. Never would I treat you like some trophy or prize. Never would I take anything from you against your will.”

“Except my freedom,” she said

He closed his eyes and nodded his head. This was another of his mistakes. He was rushing her into a world she knew nothing about. He treated her like a child because she was ignorant of human ways, but she wasn't a child, she wasn't even human, and she was paying careful attention. He took his hands away to avoid making her feel forced in any way.

“Lilly,” he said softly. “When I found you not two days ago, you were battered, broken, and in no position to resist me.”

“Yes, and you took advantage of that and forced me into servitude,” she said angrily.

“Did I?” he said, stepping back to give her more room. “Tell me, what did I say?”

“I don't remember,” she said, growing angrier.

“It was just the other day, girl!” he barked, then took a breath and steadied his voice. “Tell me, what did I say?”

Lilly looked dejected and angry. Her eyes darted from side to side as if searching for a way out of the conversation.

“Lilly!” he demanded again.

“You said you would not bind me against my will.”

“You were in no condition to resist me. There were other ways I could have gotten your name out of you. I could have lied to you about the year and the day. I could have lied to you about how I would treat you,” he said, his voice growing stern, but also pained. “I did as I promised and wove the limit into the binding, and I have honestly tried to treat you with the dignity you deserve. I know I have failed once or twice, and I will fail again, but I meant what I told you.”

“How have you treated me with dignity?” she demanded.

He put his hands to his smooth face as if to wipe away his frustration and calmed his voice. “I could have commanded you to do as I said. We could be in there right now regardless of how you feel about it.”

“Yes,” she had to admit. “You could have.” She realized he was truthful, and his logic could not be countered. He had treated her fairly.

She thought of the field of flowers and how he had made the crown of dragons tears. She thought of how he described the lily flower and how its colors were beautiful like hers. He asked for her permission to call her Lilly instead of forcing it on her. When he wanted her to stay close, he asked her to do it. He even tried to protect her in the forest, putting her inside a warding circle. Foolish as the gesture was, he still put her life before his.

“I, I’m sorry.” she stammered out.

“You are what?” he asked in disbelief.

“I said I was sorry! Do not make me say it again!” she spat angrily.

“I am sorry, too,” he said to her. “I have kept too much from you. You have many doubts and worries, and I have done nothing to try and soothe them. I promise I will fix that mistake, now come, let us go inside. I will stand by your side the entire time and guide you through everything.”

His face softened, and his manner was strange again. Inside something tugged at her as she looked down to see him holding out his hand.

“Take my hand. It will help you.”

“I do not need you to touch me,” she said, her face twisted in a scowl.

“Lilly, you recoil from me every time I try to comfort you, but that is all it is. I know you have no idea what to do, so let me help you.”

“But why do you need to touch me?” she asked.

He sighed and considered it himself. He didn’t want to say because he thought of her as a child. She wasn't a child, and he realized he needed to stop treating her as such. Still, he needed some way to convey that he was there for her without words. Some way that wouldn’t allow nearby ears to understand there was something off about her.

“Humans sometimes use touch to convey a deeper meaning. I admit I am too free with it. It is fairly common for people of my land to touch a hand, wrist, or shoulder to convey certain meanings. I am sorry, I forget you are not human and are not accustomed to such things.”

She looked at his face as he spoke and then glanced back to his hand.

“So, this is to help me?”

“On the battlefield, I would stand beside a frightened soldier and put a hand to his back to stand him firm. To reassure him that I was with him, and he had the strength to face the challenge ahead. You are a woman and not a solider. It is more appropriate to convey that meaning by holding your hand.”

She lifted her hand briefly and glanced at it.

“If you are worried or upset, you can squeeze my hand to make me aware of it. I will squeeze you back to let you know there is nothing to be upset about.”

Again his manner was strange, and she felt him across the bind. There was a twisting inside, a sensation she had no word for. It almost felt as if he was pleading with her in some way through the connection. She looked down at his hand and frowned.

“Fine,” she said, taking a breath and putting her hand in his.

He folded his hand over hers and looked her in the eyes. “When we are alone tonight, we will talk. You will ask your questions, and I will answer them honestly,” he told her. “We should also talk about you,” he said more sternly. “I have to admit I have let my judgment of you be clouded by your current appearance. We need to spend some time talking about the real you, not the form you hide in.”

“I would like that,” she said to him in a quiet tone.

He smiled, but she hardly noticed it. His touch on her hand caused the stirring inside to become a storm. She knew it was the bind and could feel the chains of it rattling in her heart. She felt a sudden rush of feelings that were so foreign to her; they almost made her faint. She went to say something, but a voice suddenly stole her attention.

“Oh dear me, the poor lass is too ashamed to come into the house,” came a shrill voice that surprised them both. They looked up and saw the farmer's wife hurrying up the path with a garment in her hands.

Lilly looked directly at Gersius, her eyes wide and head shaking side to side.

“It is alright,” he said to her, reassuringly squeezing her hand.

“What do I do?” she whispered loudly.

“Just stand still. She will not harm you.”

Lilly turned to watch the woman with dread as she arrived.

“Oh, the poor thing has been crying, truly it was an ordeal you been through,” the woman said.

“Mrs Garandel, May I present to you the Lady, Lilly,” Gersius said with a bow.

“Oh sur'n she is a pretty thing, and oh her eyes! The monster must have put a terrible spell on her,” she said, noting the light that burned in them.

Mrs Garandel, was a short, plump woman who ran at them in layers of coats and skirts. She wore her dark hair up in a net, and her gentle face was creased and weathered by years of working in the sun. She held a long brown dress with a cream top in her hands and held the garment to Lilly to see if it would fit as Lilly flinched and squirmed away.

“She's so tall,” the kindly woman said. “Thankfully, my Linda is a tall one, gets it from her father, certainly not me.”

Lilly started to back away as the woman came at her but felt a warm touch as Gersius squeezed her hand again. She looked at him, and he smiled at her.

“It is safe, trust me,” he said.

She scowled at him for suggesting she trust him again, especially when he held her hand, preventing her escape.

“It's a shame what happened to you, dear,” Mrs Garandel went on as she pressed the Garment over Lilly. “But then a knight comes running to your rescue; it's like a storybook it is.” She seemed satisfied with the size and took a step back. “Well, let's get you dressed and into the house for some warm food.”

“Dressed?”

Gersius leaned down and whispered in her ear.

“She wants you to put those clothes on. They will fit you much better than what I gave you.” He saw the unhappy look on her face and softened his voice. “Please, Lilly, let her help you get them on.”

Lilly was angry, but she nodded her consent as Gersius released her hand, leaving her to the clutches of the Mrs Garandel.

Gersius turned his back as Mrs Garandel fitted the dress around Lilly, who flinched and trembled at every touch.

“My word, look at those marks, all across your shoulders and down your back?” she said, noticing Lilly's tattoos. “Well, they look good on you, lass, gods know I wouldn't be brave enough to let somebody come at me with a needle like that. Hold yer arms up, that's a good lass, A little loose in the tummy, and a tad tight in the chest, my Linda would wish to have your proportions.”

Lilly heard Gersius snicker, and her scowl for him deepened.

“Now we just lace you up here and your snug and dressed like a proper lady. Oh, but look at your feet!” she cried, turning to address Gersius. “Have you been walking this poor lady barefoot down a country lane?”

“Yes, he has,” Lilly said, suddenly finding her voice.

“Oh, but a knight should know better,” she said, swatting his arm.

“Hey now,” Gersius tried to protest.

“He should have carried ya or let you ride his horse,” she went on, ignoring him completely.

Gersius turned around and looked at Lilly to see her frowning deeply. She stood with her arms up while Mrs Garandel fluttered about pulling at the dress and sleeves. She looked snug indeed in her new clothes, and the soft leather wrap on her stomach made her curves all the more noticeable.

Gersius smiled as he took in her new appearance. She was indeed a beautiful woman with her blazing blue eyes and silver-blue hair. She had delicate but defined facial features with a strong mouth of full lips. The outfit was a simple dress with a slight ruffle along the collar that left her shoulders bare, revealing the strange blue markings. It was held in place by a wide belt that covered her entire stomach and tied with laces in the back. The belt pulled the dress tight around her narrow waist, making her shape striking. Only the look of death on her face darkened her otherwise beautiful appearance.

“Oh, the color of your hair! Is it silver or blue? I can't rightly tell in this light. Let's get you inside so I can see you better,” Mrs Garandel said as she tottered off, leading them to the house talking the whole way.

“You look pretty,” he said, stumbling on the word as he slowly walked to Lilly.

Lilly didn't respond. She just stood there, holding up her arms, scowling at him.

“You can put your arms down now,” he said with a smile.

“I wasn’t sure what I was supposed to do,” she said angrily. “Are all rodent women like that?”

“Some of them are,” Gersius said. “Women are a lot like flowers. They come in all shapes and colors.”

“You seem to know a lot about flowers.”

“Lilly, you did well, and you look good. Now, let us go inside and have something to eat.”

“Alright, but don’t allow that woman to assault me again,” she said, lowering her voice. She twisted her shoulders a bit and pulled at the material around her waist. It did fit nicer, and she liked the freedom of movement for her legs. It felt comfortable, a word she knew but never had a use for. She gathered up handfuls of the material that hung from her waist to see her feet again. “Why am I wearing this?” she asked, shaking it.

“It is what women wear,” Gersius said, not sure how to answer.

“Why is it not like yours?”

“Men wear pants mostly for work reasons, I suppose. Women wear what you have on now. We call that a dress.”

“Why do women not wear pants?”

Gersius smiled at the simple question. “Some do, but most women prefer dresses, gowns, and other things. When I get you to a city, you will be amazed by what women wear.” She nodded slightly at the comment, but he could see she was hesitating. “Lilly, come, it is time to go in,” he said, holding out his hand again. She looked down at it, and he whispered, “Please Lilly,”

Slowly she put her hand into his and let him wrap around it. She gritted her teeth as the sensations of the bind returned, and with it the unknown twistings.

He led her down the path to the door that Mrs Garandel had left open for them.

“Oh, here she is,” came Mrs Garandel’s voice as they walked in.

The surprisingly large room was warm and inviting. A low fired burned in the hearth to their right, a dark pot hanging from a hook right above. Wisps of steam rose from inside, drifting into the room as the soup boiled inside. The walls were remarkably white and bare of decoration, the floors made of polished flagstone, and neatly swept. Above their heads were stout oak beams, roughly hewn and fitted into place.

One wall was lined with cupboards and small tables with shelves above. These were covered in jars of jam, honey, and pickled fruits as well as baskets full of recently harvested vegetables. A single door stood just barely cracked, hinting as the deeper chambers beyond.

A thick heavy table dominated the whole of the main room. It was nicked and marked by years of family use, but sturdy and polished to perfection. Long benches of the same wood ran down either side, providing a comfortable place to sit.

The air was heavy with a scent that was a mixture of smoke and something pleasant. Lilly had never known this scent before, and the more she smelled it, the hungrier she became.

To Gersius, this was a paradise; a simple life lived with love and family. To Lilly, this was a place of wonder where everything was new and mysterious.

“The soups on,” called Mrs Garandel as she busied herself, digging something out of a cupboard.

“So, this is what the inside of one of your nests looks like?” Lilly said as her eyes looked at everything.

“This is called a farmhouse,” Gersius said.

“You live inside these?” she whispered to him.

“Some people do, but there are many more styles of house,” he whispered back.

“So, this is the rodent woman's lair?”

“Lilly, call her a human at least, and no, this belongs to her and her husband, and they have three children.”

Lilly glanced around the room quickly.

“I only see her.”

The husband and eldest boy are outside, getting our room ready. The youngest is in bed already, and the eldest is away,” he repeated.

“Sit,” called Mrs Garandel as she fussed in the cupboard, “Sit yourselves down at the table.”

Gersius led her by the hand to the table before releasing her to take off his armor. He set it aside in a neat pile before taking a good long stretch, glad to be free of the weight. When he looked back, Lilly was standing exactly where he put her, uncertain of what to do.

“Watch me,” Gersius said, and he sat down at the table. “Sit here,” he said, patting the bench next to him.

She had trouble getting her leg over with the skirt, but Gersius told her to lift it with her hands, which made it much easier. She sat down next to him as her eyes continued to wander the room.

Mrs Garandel set a kettle into the coals before busying herself with the pot hanging from the hook. She stirred the contents while talking to herself about knights and ladies.

Lilly felt nervous but strangely safe. The room was warm, and the fire lit everything with a soft orange glow. She groped for his hand, eager for the reassurance, and was rewarded by his touch. As much as she hated the twisting that came with touching him, she did feel better knowing he was there. Then something touched her other hand, and she flinched in alarm. She turned to look into the eyes of a small rodent.

“Gersius,” she cried, leaning away from it. “What is that?”

“Maisy darling, don't be bothering the young lady,” Mrs Garandel called from the fire.

Gersius leaned back to look around Lilly and smiled. “That is a human child,” he said.

Lilly let the shock pass as she looked at the small child standing on the bench beside her with wonder. She was barely four feet tall with long golden hair that hung straight down her back. Her eyes were large and brown with a tiny little nose and mouth. In one arm, she clutched a ball of cloth and patches.

“Your eyes are pretty,” her tiny voice said.

“My eyes are pretty?” Lilly said, not sure what to do.

Maisy nodded her head in a rapid up and down motion.

Lilly felt Gersius squeeze her hand, and he whispered in her ear.

“Tell her that her that her eyes are pretty too,” he said.

Lilly wasn’t sure what that was supposed to do but did as he said. “Your eyes are pretty too.”

“Momma says I have big beautiful eyes,” Maisy said, starting to sway back and forth.

Gersius looked at her and spoke. “What is that you have there?”

Maisy took the object out of her arms and held it up with both hands.

“She's my best friend,” Maisy said, holding the small object of cloth out. It was a crude little animal sewn out of different scraps of cloth with a long spotted tail.

“This thing is your best friend?” Lilly asked while looking at the curious object that was presented before her.

“Ah, huh, she goes to bed with me and keeps me safe all night,” Maisy said.

“She?” Lilly asked, confused. “What is she?”

“She's a dragon,” Maisy said, holding it up higher.

“She's a dragon?”

Lilly felt a squeeze at her hand, and she turned to look at Gersius, who whispered in her ear. “It is called a toy. Children often play with them. They pretend they are other things that are special to them.”

Lilly pondered what play meant as she looked back to Maisy, who had returned to cradling her dragon in her arms.

“Why do you have a dragon?” Lilly asked as she watched the child clutch the toy.

“Because dragons are big and strong and not afraid of anything,” the little girl replied.

“Yes,” Lilly said, looking lost in thought. “Yes, they are.”

“Maisy child, I told you to stop bothering the lovely lady,” said Mrs Garandel as she walked by and swept the child off the bench. Lilly watched her go, resting her tiny head on her mother's shoulder. She closed her eyes and put a thumb in her mouth, in her other hand, dangled her dragon.

Lilly could only watch mesmerized as the child was carried through the doorway. She never knew the rodents could be so small and so frail. How the child seemed at peace in the older rodent's arms made her suddenly think of her own mother. Had her relationship with her been so gentle?

Mrs Garandel returned a few moments later and set two large wooden bowls and spoons down before them. She trotted off to the fire and used a hook to collect the pot.

“Soups a bit hot, you might need to let it sit a bit,” she said while carrying it over.

“Thank you, Mrs Garandel,” Gersius said as she set it down and ladled the vegetable-laden broth into the bowls.

Lilly looked at the golden liquid before her in wonder. It had a rich scent that drifted up on tiny wisps of steam, teasing her nose with things she had no words for.

“What? What is this?” Lilly said when the woman left and vanished through the door in the back of the room.

“I believe it is chicken soup,” Gersius said.

“It is hot?” Lilly asked, warily feeling the heat on her face as she leaned over it.

Gersius understood what she was getting at and gave her hand another squeeze before letting it go.

“It is hot, but do not worry, I will show you how to eat it safely. First, you need one of these,” he said, reaching down and taking a spoon. He smiled as she looked at the object like she had never seen one before. “Go ahead and pick yours up,” he said, nodding his head at the one next to her bowl.

Lilly looked to the object and carefully picked it up, She fumbled with it a moment, and he had to help her get it right.

“Now, this is the easy part; you just dip it into the soup like this.”

She watched as the spoon disappeared into the golden liquid and came back with chunks of food swimming in the broth.

“All you have to do to cool it down is blow on it gently.” He blew a few times until the steam rising off of it vanished. “Now it is ready to eat,” he added and put the spoonful in his mouth. “Go ahead, you try it,” he said while chewing.

Lilly looked down at the bowl and tried to mimic what he did. She dipped her spoon and dumped the contents a few times before getting it right. When she finally had a spoonful, she held it up and blew on it gently.

“A little harder,” he said, “You want to make sure you cool it.”

She shot him a sideways glance and blew much harder. The broth froze solid, and frost ran up the spoon as a freezing air blew from her lips.

Gersius jumped and dropped his spoon. He quickly batted at her hands and hid them under the table as Mrs Garandel returned to the table with a small wooden plate and some bread.

“Everything alright?” she asked, noticing the strange looks they both had on their faces.

“Everything is fine, thank you, Mrs Garandel,” Gersius said, taking his hands away from Lilly.

She set the plate down and walked away, muttering something about strange people and strange ways.

“Why did you do that?” Gersius whispered when Mrs Garandel was far enough away.

“You told me to blow on it,” Lilly said in a tense voice.

“I wanted you to cool it off, not freeze it solid.”

“I didn’t even know I could do that,” Lilly shot back.

“You need to be more careful,” he said, picking her spoon up. The food was frozen in a lump of ice, but Gersius had an idea. “Put it back in your soup and stir it,” he said. When it was clear, she didn't fully understand he showed her with his spoon. “This will thaw the spoon, and cool the soup,” he said.

Lilly did as she was told, stirring the spoon slowly in the soup until it thawed.

“Try it now,” Gersius said.

Carefully she took another spoonful and held it to her lips, she blew on it gently once and then slowly put it in her mouth. She looked at Gersius as she pulled the spoon back out.

“Well?” he said, not able to read her expression.

“I like it,” was all she managed to say before getting another spoonful.

Gersius decided it was safe to let her continue unsupervised, and went back to his bowl.

Lilly ate rapidly, shoving one spoonful in before she had managed to swallow the one before it. She couldn't believe the flavors of this substance called soup and hungrily devoured it.

Gersius shook his head, laughing as droplets of soup ran down her chin.

“Are you waffing at me?” she asked with a mouth full of food.

“I am,” he said, still smiling.

“Why?”

“Slow down a little. Finish one mouthful before getting another. You do not have to eat so quickly.”

She sat back and looked down at her spoon halfway to her already full mouth. She made the loudest swallowing sound Gersius ever heard as she downed a full mouth in one go.

“Alright,” she said, then continued eating.

“Perhaps you would like to try the bread?” he asked her.

“What is bread?” she replied, now hunched over her bowl to shorten the distance her spoon had to travel.

“This, my Lady Lilly, is bread,” he said, reaching to the plate. He pushed the two slices aside and was pleased to discover a small blob of whipped butter and a knife. “And this is what is known as butter.” He took the knife and scooped up a bit of butter and gently spread it across a thick slice of crusty white bread.

Lilly watched every movement intently, forgetting the spoon that dangled just above the soup.

“Here you go,” he said, holding the slice before her face. “Try this.”

She dropped the spoon into the soup and reached up with both hands for the bread spreading the butter through her fingers. She sniffed at it and found the scent pleasing, so she took a large firm bite.

For a moment, she looked shocked, and Gersius was sure she didn't like it, but then she closed her eyes and began to chew, making a slight humming sound. To his surprise, she ate slowly as if savoring the flavor.

“I take you like the bread?”

“This is,” she paused to search for the right words. “beautiful?” she said questioningly.

“With flavors, one might say, this is wonderful, or this is delicious,” he said, correcting her.

“This is delicious,” she said again, closing her eyes. She chewed for a bit and then opened them to look at Gersius. “Why did you not tell me about this?” she said, annoyed.

“Why did I not tell you about bread?”

“I thought my life with you was going to be misery after misery, but this.” She took another bite and hummed. “This is pleasing.”

“I am glad to know you had such high expectations for your time with me,” he chuckled.

She looked at him with a sideways glance and returned to her bread.

They continued to eat, enjoying the food, and making small remarks when Mrs Garandel returned with another basket.

“I made a big batch of these the other morning, but they are still good, and it isn't often one gets to feed a knight and his lady.”

“Actually, I am a Battle Priest,” Gersius said as she set the basket down.

“Knight, priest, don't make no matter to me,” she said, trotting off.

“I thought you were a Knight-Captain?” Lilly asked.

“That is my rank in the order of Astikar. But I am a battle priest. A true knight is often a special soldier in a noble's house. We do not refer to ourselves as knights. Sometimes we even call the rank Lord Captain instead.”

Lilly shrugged at the explanation and returned to the food.

“What are those?” she said, looking into the basket.

Gersius looked down and saw a half dozen small round cakes with a soft golden color.

“That looks like a tart of some kind. You should try one,” he suggested.

Lilly reached out a buttery hand and took one of the little tarts. She sniffed it to discover a sweet scent that teased her senses and made her crave it. She gave it a gentle squeeze, feeling the soft texture the readily deformed in her grasp. She took a little bite and looked at Gersius, a crumb falling from her lip as she chewed impossibly slowly. She took another slow, deliberate bite, never taking her eyes off him.

“Are you alright?” he asked.

“This is the best thing I have ever tasted,” she said, looking down at the tart in her hand. She quickly stuffed the rest into her mouth and looked to him. “Can I have another?” she asked, even as she chewed the first one.

“I believe she gave us the basket so we could have as many as we wanted,” he told her.

She ate another tart, then another. Gersius finally decided to try one before they were gone and took a bite.

“Ahh, an apple tart, very delicious.”

“Apple tart,” Lilly repeated as she ate another.

When the meal was over Mrs, Garandel returned with a large wooden tub.

“Time we did something about those poor feet of yours,” she said, putting the tub on the floor before Lilly.

Lilly felt panic rising again and looked to Gersius for support. “What does she want to do to my feet?” she asked him when the woman walked away.

“I believe she wants to wash them,” he told her.

“Wash them?” Lilly repeated, unsure.

“I have a suspicion that you are going to like this,” he said, a smile on his face. He told her to turn around and pull the hem of the skirt over her knees. He then instructed her to put her feet in the tub and wait. As she did Mrs, Garandel came back with a bucket of water in her hands.

“Lift your feet a moment dear and keep them up,” she said and then poured the water into the tub.

Lilly held her feet over the water and looked at Gersius again. A familiar squeeze came to her hand, and he whispered in her ear. “She is paying you a tremendous honor. Washing a stranger's feet is considered a great act of kindness,” he said.

Lilly nodded, but in truth, she wasn't sure what he meant.

Mrs Garandel went to the fireplace and, with a bundle of cloth, picked up the kettle that was steaming there. Carefully she brought it over and began to pour it into the tub.

“This will give it a nice warm feel, just the thing for sore feet,” she said, emptying the kettle and setting it aside. She knelt at the base of the tub and looked up at Lilly. “Go ahead, lovely; you can put your feet down.”

A squeeze of her hand brought her attention to Gersius, who nodded that it was safe. Slowly Lilly lowered her feet until they barely touched the water. She jerked back when she felt the heat, but Gersius squeezed her hand again.

“Just put them in slowly,” he said.

She nodded and tried again, going even slower and flinching as she felt the heat. Just as he said, it was tolerable, and she pushed on until her feet sank in.

A whole new world of feeling rolled through her feet as the warm water embraced them. She felt so relaxed that her eyes began to close, only to jump as firm hands took hold of a foot.

“Poor thing, walking all that way with nothing ‘tween you and the road, lucky you don't have a blister or worse,” The woman rambled on as she worked, rubbing the dirt from Lilly's feet. She produced a pure white stone from one of her many pockets and began to rub on Lilly's feet. A foam began to form as the stone passed over her skin, adding to the soothing feeling. Missed Garandel rubbed this foam up and down her legs, wiping away days of dirt and grim. She used both hands to caress the soles of Lilly's feet and gently get between her toes. She worked diligently at her task, talking about how lucky Lilly was that a knight rescued her.

Lilly didn't hear a thing; all she knew was the sensation of her feet being rubbed. Never in her long life had she experienced anything like this, or dreamed such was possible. She felt more relaxed than she could ever remember being and leaned back, closing her eyes again. It was a truly sad moment when the washing stopped, and a towel was produced to dry her feet.

Gersius offered to carry the tub outside and dump the water, leaving Lilly to sit at the table, her feet wrapped in the towel. When he returned, he found her fidgeting and looking around like a lost child.

“Are you alright?” he asked as he approached.

“I was just thinking,” she said, not looking up.

“And what were you thinking about?” he asked as he sat beside her.

“I was thinking that you rodents are not what I thought you were.”

Gersius put his hand on the table and leaned in close. “These are good people, with kind hearts,” he said. “I am afraid there are many people who are not as good and do not have kind hearts. You need to be careful, Lilly. Do not trust everyone you meet.”

Lilly looked at him with confusion as the tall farmer appeared and told them their room was ready.

Gersius thanked them and collected his armor before turning to Lilly with a serious look on his face.

“It is time we had that talk.”

“Here, here!” shouted Mrs Garandel as she came running. She handed a small bundle to Lilly, who took it from her carefully. “It's an old pair of shoes, but they are in usable condition. Should do until you can get something nicer up in Tots creek, or maybe the Millwater if you're headed up that way.” Gersius thanked her again and took Lilly's hand to follow the farmer.

She cradled the shoes to her chest as they walked into the night. Soon she hoped she would know just why he needed her.

3