1-6 A secret not kept
25 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They traveled the road north, walking in the afternoon sun as they talked. Gersius spent a considerable amount of time teaching her about stealing and made her promise not to take anything that wasn't freely given.

“I promise I will not take anything,” she said after his lengthy sermon. They camped that night under a large tree with thick branches and were on the road again early in the morning. By late afternoon they crested a grassy hill, and before them was the town of Tots Creek.

The majority of the buildings were small wooden structures crowned by thatch roofs, but here and there, a building rose above the others. One building, in particular, stood out for its size and was easily seen from the hill. The streets were busy with people going about their business and chores, as Lilly looked in amazement.

“Look at all the rodents!” she said, pointing at them. “Will they want to wash my feet?”

“Probably not,” Gersius replied and went to lead the way.

“Humph,” she said with a toss of her head.

“What is it?”

“I am a dragon! These rodents should be grateful to wash my feet.”

A smile came to his face as he chuckled at the remark. Already Lilly was showing signs of acceptance and not immediately fearful of humans. He was grateful for the experience at the farm to help open her eyes and prayed there would be more like it ahead. He thought to warn her, though, worried that she might think all people were as kind as the farmers.

“Remember, most of these people are good and kind, but whenever there is a large number of them, there is bound to be several who are not. Do not be so quick to trust them. Be polite, but be careful.”

“Gersius, I can’t understand you. How am I going to know who I can or can't trust?” she said, sweeping her hand over the town.

“Just let your senses tell you, and do not go off with any of them, stay close to me.”

“I hardly planned to go wandering off,” she said sarcastically with a roll of her eyes.

They entered the town and walked down the rutted street. People passed by disinterested, busy with there own lives, but here and there, a person took notice of Lilly.

“Ooh, what an unusual color oh hair on that one,” they heard one woman say.

“Is that girl's hair blue?” a man whispered to another loud enough to hear.

Gersius noticed the looks of men as their eyes followed Lilly, and it made him nervous. Small farming towns were not accustomed to exotic women, and local lords could be rather forward with a pretty girl. The local louts might be forward as well, but his presence should be more than enough to keep them at bay. Still, it was suspicious to see a priest in full armor this from the war. The local temple likely had several on duty but certainly not under full arms. Between he and Lilly, the town's people certainly had plenty to gossip about.

Lilly took no notice of it, instead staring at the buildings and the people with wonder. She was fascinated by what the women were wearing, particularly when they wore bright colors. He was forced to take her hand when she tried to follow a woman in a soft blue dress with white trims, reminding her to stay close.

They headed for the largest building in the town, a tired-looking structure with yellowing plaster walls, and sagging timbers. A few people loitered around the doorway as Gersius led her toward it.

“This is called an inn,” he said as they approached. “We will find food and shelter for the night inside.”

“There is more food?” Lilly asked her face suddenly brighter. She sniffed at the air as if trying to smell what the kitchen might be cooking.

Gersius looked at her with a smile on his face, “I thought you would be done eating for a few years?”

“I am in your rodent form,” she said with a stern voice and a toss of her head. “I require regular feeding.”

Gersius chuckled as they entered the door, and she gawked in wonder. The common room wasn't very large, but it still managed to fit a dozen tables. The floors were wood, and the walls were plaster, originally white, but long since yellowed with age and smoke. Round metal chandeliers, covered in half-melted candles, hung from the ceiling with ropes.

The room was crowded, but only because it was small. Two dozen people sat at tables or leaned against the walls, talking, and drinking. Gersius spied a pig roasting on a spit over the fire, and he could see other patrons had potatoes and bread on their plates. He noticed a few curious stares and a gesture or two to turn heads their way. He tried to avoid eye contact and quickly led Lilly across the room to an empty table by the window.

“Sit here,” he told her, taking her to a small table. She looked at the chair as if confused before looking about the room. He realized she was trying to work out how and was taking note of how other people sat. With a stiff motion, she sat down and smiled at her success before he continued. “I am going to go talk to the innkeeper,” he said, pointing to a large man behind the bar. “You stay here and do not get into trouble.”

“What trouble can I possibly get into?” she asked, irritated.

Gersius shook his head, mumbling about his luck as he turned and walked to the bar. The man behind the bar was slightly taller than himself and much broader. He had a bald head and a flat face with a red mustache and beard that ran down the sides. His chin was clean-shaven and bore a scar across the cleft. He wore a dirty gray shirt with a white apron that he used to wring his hands on as he worked.

“Are you the innkeeper?” Gersius asked as he approached the man.

“That I am, Barnabus is the name.”

“I would like to rent a room if you please. Do you have something with two beds?” Gersius asked.

“Indeed I do, be ten flins for the night,” the man said, leaning one arm on the counter. “Say, you wouldn't happen to be Gersius, would you?” he asked, lowering his voice.

“I am Gersius. How do you know my name?” he asked with a twitch of his brow.

“The other fellow was in here asking about you. Wanted to know if I had heard the name. Said you would be in priest's clothing or armor.”

Gersius felt hot in his armor, wishing he had never put it on. He dreaded to ask the next question, not sure he wanted to hear the answer. “What other fellow?”

“A man in armor like your own, called himself, Jessivel.”

“He was here?” Gersius asked in a firm tone his eyes now sternly fixed on Barnabus. “When?”

“Not two hours ago, said he was going up to the Abby of st Cluth. Said he had some business to take care of.”

Gersius nodded his head and looked over his shoulder at Lilly. She seemed to be lost in the wonders of the inn and not paying any attention to him. His stomach twisted as he tried to think of what to do next. If Jessivel was here looking for him, then Lilly was potentially in danger.

“You see that woman over there?” Gersius said, pointing to Lilly.

“Aye, I see her, pretty thing, odd color of hair.”

Gersius slid a bit of coin over the counter.

“Get her some of the best food you have, and get her a drink. Make sure she stays there; do not let her leave the inn until I get back.”

“Is there some trouble? I don't need any trouble in my inn.” the big man said, eyeing Gersius.

“I need to meet, brother Jessivel, alone, and I want to make sure she stays safe,” Gersius said, sliding a few more coins over the counter as he leaned over to whisper. “If Jessivel comes back and asks, I came here alone. Do not tell him about the girl.” Barnabus looked up with sweat on his brow as Gersius glowered at him and added three more coins to the pile.

“Alright, alright,” the big man said as he looked to an armed dark-skinned man in the corner. A snap of his fingers brought the man's attention to his. Barnabus made a silent gesture and pointed to his own eyes and then to Lilly. He made a second gesture pointing the floor, and the dark skin man nodded, before turning back to watch Lilly. “I set my best man to watch her. She won't come to no harm while you're out,” he said, leaning back off the counter.

Gersius was skeptical, but he had no choice. “I will be back in two hours or less,” he said, stepping away from the bar. He felt uncertain as he returned to Lilly and found her looking about the floor at her feet.

“Lilly,” he said, getting her attention.

“Gersius, a little black thing with a tail ran across the floor just a moment ago,” she said, still looking for it.

“That would be an actual rodent,” he said, still wondering if he was doing the right thing. “Lilly, I have to go meet somebody. I need you to stay here.”

She looked up at him suddenly, her eyes wide and searching his face. “You told me to stay near you. I should go with you.”

“You are safer here. The man who runs the place is going to bring you some food and something to drink. I will not be gone long. I need you to stay right here; do not try to leave the inn.”

“I don’t like this, Gersius. I don’t want you to leave me alone with all these roden… People.”

“I do not want to leave you alone either, but you will be safe here. I have to meet a member of my order who has come looking for me. I do not want them to know you are traveling with me.”

“Why not? You can tell them you have your dragon?” she said innocently.

Gersius shushed her and patted the air with his hands as if he could batter the words down.

“Lilly,” he said, leaning in close and whispering. “This man is looking for me specifically. That means something is wrong. I do not want to reveal your presence to him or anybody else until I am sure you are safe.”

Lilly stared at him with a smirk on her face. “Gersius, how much danger can I possibly be in? I could flatten every house in this village in minutes,” she said.

Gersius thought he was going to be sick as he visualized a raging dragon loose in Tots creek.

“Lilly, please, watch what you say. Nobody here needs to know what you are, or what you can do. We need to keep it that way, for now.”

She looked down at the table slowly, her shoulders sinking as she nodded. “I understand,” she said as her eyes began to wander.

“You will stay here, and not try to leave?” he asked.

“I will stay here and not try to leave,” she agreed.

Gersius let out a sigh of relief. At least one worry was off his chest. Now to face the one man, a priest of his order did not want to have looking for him.

“Thank you,” she said as he leaned back up.

“For what?”

“For asking me, and not commanding it,” she said while tracing a circle on the table with her finger.

Gersius smiled and tried to sound calm when he spoke. “I told you I would treat you with respect and honor what you truly are,” he said and turned toward the door.

Lilly sat there, looking around the room feeling very alone despite all the people around her. The large man Gersius spoke to glanced up at her now and then while he rubbed at a table with a scrap of cloth. A strange man with dark skin lurked in the corner across the room, his gaze fixed on her, making her uncomfortable.

“What do I have to be uncomfortable about? I could eat every person in this room if I wanted to,” she said to herself, trying to sound brave. She jumped in fright when a voice suddenly broke her musings.

“Here ya go love,” came a woman's voice as a barmaid set a plate of food before her. She placed a fork and knife next to it and put a large metal mug down on the table.

“You be sure and ask if you want more,” the woman said as she turned away.

Lilly looked down at the plate with delight. None of the foods were familiar, but they all looked wonderful. She could smell that the slightly pink object was meat of some kind. Next to it was what appeared to be a rock, but it was split open and full of white fluff. Butter melted over that fluff, adding to the sweet aroma that rose from the plate. There were tiny round green stones mixed with orange discs and yellow flakes piled beside it. It all came with a thick slice of bread, slathered in more butter that curled in white waves. The plate of food was very exciting but what fascinated her most was the mug.

She leaned over it and studied it. Inside was a golden liquid, and a thick white foam ringed the outer rim. She smelled it and recoiled back with a frown. It didn't smell like food, not that she had much exposure to human food. It smelled kind of like the bread, only heavier with a hint of sour. She carefully picked it up with both hands and lifted it to her lips. She was careful not to drown herself this time as she took a tiny little sip.

She put the mug down with a clunk and spit the fluid back in as she made a horrified groan. “That is foul!” she said out loud.

The barmaid walking past on her way to another table heard her. “Pity, it's the summer, the heat sours the flavor. It always tastes better when it's cold.”

Lilly watched her go by and looked back down at the mug. “It tastes better when it’s cold?” she said to herself. She glanced around the room and slowly bent over the top of the mug. With puckered lips, she blew carefully, just enough to evoke her breath. The mug frosted over as the liquid inside quickly chilled to ice cold.

With a smile, she lifted it and took another small sip. The woman was right. It did taste better cold. She put the mug back on the table and only then noticed that every eye was watching her.

“What?” she said.

********************

Gersius stormed down the streets of the small town, his mind full of worry. He didn't like that Jessivel was here asking for him by name. That could only mean a complication, something dire that would hinder his plans and put Lilly at risk.

His mind was plagued with doubt ever since finding Azurastra. He knew what he needed to do, but felt that he was doing her a disservice. His people needed to see the dragon standing by his side so he could evoke the image of the dragon knight. This would give him the strength he needed to win the war and save them all. Surely this was the right thing to do, and he was a good man for doing it. Somehow though, he could not shake the feeling he was harming Lilly. That by taking her to Calathen, he was leading her into danger, and perhaps more pain.

With Jessivel here, he could alert the brotherhood to Lilly’s presence, and tell them she was on her way to Calathen. It would give them hope and inspire new courage in their time of need. Yet, to even think of telling Jessivel made him fearful. In the back of his mind, he knew Lilly needed to remain a secret and kept hidden. Something wasn't right like a darkness had suddenly come over him. Perhaps his impending meeting would shed some light on the matter.

The Abby of saint Cluth was a small stone building on a hill just outside of town. It was dedicated to Astikar but had a little shrine area for several of the other divines. It was a quiet place surrounded by modest gardens and a few trees. The large front door was made of polished oak bound by iron, oiled to give it a dark color. It was wide open, allowing the warm summer air to flow freely and freshen the inner chambers. Nearby were two brothers walking in a garden. They wore the red robes of his order and had their hoods pulled up to conceal their faces. He watched for a moment as they walked by, not daring to look up and meet his gaze. It could only mean one thing, brother Jessivel was inside, and they wanted nothing to do with him.

Gersius walked in his metal boots, clinking on the stone floor. He didn't need to guess where to find brother Jessivel. He walked straight up the middle aisle to the man in polished plate armor kneeling before the shrine inside. His helmet was off and resting beside him on the floor. His long dark hair trailed down the back of his armor, and His face hidden in his bow. He had a red sash over his right shoulder that bore the emblem of a red eight-pointed star with an eye in the center. The symbol of a man-hunter, the closest thing the order had to bounty hunters.

“I didn't think I would be the one who found you,” Jessivel said without looking up.

“I did not think anybody would be looking to find me,” Gersius replied, kneeling beside the man and offering a silent prayer to Astikar.

“Oh, quite a few people are looking for you,” Jessivel responded. “The Father Abbot was quite clear; you were to be found.”

“The Father Abbot?” Gersius questioned. “What does he want with me?”

“What does the Father Abbot want with his greatest general during the bloodiest war the kingdoms have known in a thousand years?”

“You are not here for my military expertise. He could have sent a messenger to do that. They send you when they want somebody dragged back in chains.”

“Ha, I always did like you, Gersius. I appreciate how direct and to the point you can be,” Jessivel said. Gersius did not respond or look at the man as he gazed on the falcon shrine. “Then let me pay you the same courtesy and get to the heart of the matter,” he said, finally looking at Gersius. “He knows about the loss of you men.”

“Then Marcus made it back and delivered my report,” Gersius was relieved but surprised he had gotten back so quickly. How could he have managed that?

“Marcus?” Jessivel said, confused. “Marcus was found dead with the others.”

Now it was Gersius's turn to be confused. “Marcus was alive! I sent him back with a full report of what had happened, and an outline of how I intended to continue.”

“Marcus was found dead with the others,” Jessivel reiterated. “I have seen the report in full. It says you are the only one who is not accounted for.”

The sense of dread grew at this revelation. Marcus was dead? How? Maybe there were more bandersooks, and Marcus blundered into them just after they parted ways. It then occurred to him that if Marcus was dead, and the Father Abbot knew, somebody had come looking for them.

“Who?” Gersius asked concern rising in his stomach. “Who found them?”

“Brother Dellain found them. He and his men searched the area. They found all your men dead, there was no mention of a report,” Jessivel replied. “The Father Abbot has sent myself and several others to scour the eastern towns looking for you. He wants his message delivered to you promptly.”

“What is his message?” Gersius asked unsettled as his mind began to ponder why Dellain of all people had been sent to find him.

“You are to travel to Whiteford and present yourself for questioning,” Jessivel said with a satisfied smile.

“The Father Abbot will be in Whiteford?” Gersius asked concern rising in his heart.

“He will. He sent us on ahead to steer you that way.”

Gersius stopped to think this through. Whiteford was a significant city and population center, but the real goal was Calathen. It was in Calathen that Gersius needed to present Lilly, and take up the dragon banner to forge a new legend. The prophecy said the hero would walk through the golden gates of Calathen at the head of a dragon. It was also there he hoped to find the help for Lilly he desperately sought.

“Jessivel, can you take a letter to the Father Abbot? Tell him I am heading straight for Calathen with hope,” Gersius said in a rushed voice.

“The Father Abbot made it quite clear, he was going to be in Whiteford, and so were you,” Jessivel said in a forceful tone.

“Do not take that tone with me, Jessivel. I am a knight captain, I do not answer to you,” Gersius said.

“I am delivering the voice of the Father Abbot, who you do answer to, and he wants you to meet him in Whiteford.” Jessivel asserted.

Gersius nodded. He could not disobey a direct order from the Father Abbot. He would have to risk traveling a week out of the way and entering a major city with Lilly. At least the people of Calathen had a legend to expect a dragon. What would the people of Whiteford think when they saw her? “Your message is delivered, I will make haste to Whiteford,” Gersius said, bowing his head and getting up to leave.

“Gersius,” Jessivel said as he got up. “A word of warning, Dellain, is pressing the Father Abbot for your appointment as knight captain. Don't stay away too long, or you might find you have been replaced.”

Gersius flinched at those words. His mind was heavy with worry as he walked away. All the way back to the inn, he pondered what could have happened to Marcus? Was Dellain involved somehow? Why was he being ordered to Whiteford? He had his dragon, but for the legend to be fulfilled, they had to go to Calathen. He had to walk through the golden with Lilly right behind him. He needed to go to the palace hall and take up the dragon banner then call for the kingdoms to unite. More than anything else was the hope for Lilly, and the aid she might find there. He realized that trying to heal her wings was just as important to him as saving the old empire.

When he rounded the corner of the street to the inn, he immediately knew something was wrong. Crowds of people were gathered outside the building, and more were running to join the swelling mass.

“Lilly!” He growled to himself and broke into a run. He had to fight his way through the mass of people clustered outside the door, laughing and swaying with mugs of ale in hand. He could hear singing coming from inside, and the common room was alive with shouting and cheers.

Gersius shoved his way into the barroom in a panic, making his way across the crowded space. A sea of people blocked his vision as he strained to see what had happened to her.

“If that fool has let her be harmed, I will kill him and his worthless guard,” Gersius cursed as he finally broke through the wall of people.

There she sat quietly at the table, swaying slightly with the singing. The table was littered with silver and gold coins, and she had made little stacks of some of them. Gersius looked at her in stunned confusion, not sure what to think. A smile spread across her face when she noticed him, and she gave him a little wave.

“What have you done?” he asked, still searching for the cause of the trouble. “Where did you get all these coins?”

“From them,” she said, gesturing to the entire room with a sweep of her hand.

“I thought I told you no more stealing. You promised me, Lilly,” he said, trying to whisper loud enough to be heard over the noise. Her mouth fell open as her brows curled up.

“I didn’t steal anything,” she said indignantly.

“Then what do you call this?” he said, pointing to the pile of coins.

“Scuse me, love,” came the voice of a barmaid as she scooted past with a large tray covered with mugs of ale. She lowered the tray for Lilly who leaned over it and started to blow. A white mist spread over the mugs chilling their contents, and frosting the rims. The barmaid tossed a few coins on the pile and whisked the tray away saying, “Thank ya, sweety,” as she parted.

Gersius looked at Lilly, who returned to swaying with the singing with a pleased smile on her face. “Gather up your coins, we are going upstairs,” he said in a harsh tone.

“But I want to hear more of the noise you rodents make,” Lilly protested.

“Lilly!” He said louder than he intended causing her to jump at the sudden change in his demeanor. “I, I am sorry, please, Lilly, we need to go upstairs. Please, gather up your coins.”

“I can keep these?” she asked unsure.

“Yes, you can keep those,” Gersius said as he thought he was going to faint. The whole town must know by now, and be talking about the blue-haired girl who can chill ale by blowing on it. He looked back at Lilly, who was having trouble figuring out a way to carry so many coins.

“Hold up the hem of your dress and scoop them into it,” he told her to speed her along.

She tried his suggestion and was quickly clearing the table. “All done,” she said in a light tone.

“Good now, follow me. We need to get out of sight.” They didn't get more than ten paces before the innkeeper blocked them.

“Master Gersius!” he roared racing up to him. “You and your lady friend are welcome in my humble Inn any time you want. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.”

“We would very much like to be shown to our room Master Barnabus,” Gersius said, desperate to get going.

“Are you sure? The night is still young, plenty of paying customers who would love a cold ale.”

“I am quite sure, we need some time alone,” he said.

“Oh, oh, ooooh!” Barnabus said, eyeing Lilly. He bent over to whisper in Gersius's ear. “Be careful with those lips, son. She could chill a raging river.”

Gersius's mouth fell open in shock, “That is not what I meant!”

“Don't pay me no mind, none of my business what goes on behind closed doors. Right this way up the stairs,” Barnabus said, leading the way.

“That is not what I meant,” Gersius said again as Lilly walked past him following Barnabus.

They were shown to a small room with two beds, one on either side of the wall. A small table with a washbasin was against the far wall under the rooms only window. A single lantern hung from the ceiling already lit and giving the room a warm yellow color.

Gersius thanked the man and shut the door behind him firmly latching the lock. He stood there leaning against the door using it for support as his mind tried to gather up his thoughts. Lilly walked over to the bed on the left and dumped her pile of coins on top.

“So these are the other beds you were talking about?” she asked as she poked at the covers.

“Lilly,” he said, trying to get her attention.

“Look at how much I have!” she said excitedly, kneeling beside the bed and sweeping the pile of coins with her hands.

“Lilly, I,”

“It’s nothing like my treasure hoard, but it is a good start.”

“Lilly, please!” he said, shouting again.

She looked up at him with a start. His face was troubled and a little pale. He looked like the door was the only thing holding him up as he struggled to speak.

“Are you alright?” she asked her eyes large and fixed on him.

“Lilly, what you were doing downstairs.” He stepped away from the door while he thought of the right words. “Lilly, that was very foolish.”

“But look at all the coins,” she insisted. “I didn’t have to steal them. The people gave them to me.”

“No, Lilly, I understand you did not steal them, you did that fine, but, Lilly, no human can blow on mugs, and freeze them.”

“What do you mean?”

“Lilly, what you were doing, nobody can do. That means people will be asking questions, wanting to know how you were doing that,” he said, struggling not to yell at her.

“I am a dragon,” she said innocently.

“I understand that. I thought I made this point clear before I left. I know you are a dragon, but nobody else can know,” he said, coming over and squatting down to look her in the eyes. “Not yet.”

“I don’t understand, you want to be seen with a dragon to save your people, but you do not want people to know I am a dragon.” She looked up at him lost. “How can you have it both ways?”

Gersius saw the logic she was following and took a moment to think of a response.

“Lilly, I want to keep you a secret for a little while. When the time comes for them to see you, I want them to see Azurastra. I want them to see the real you, in your blue scales, and all your glory. I do not want them to know that this human form is the dragon. Remember, Lilly, people do not know dragons can change form. So I need you to be Lilly, the human, and not Azurastra the dragon until I say so.”

“I told you, I don't like you calling me by my real name,” she said, looking away from him.

“I am only trying to separate the two forms so you understand that you cannot let people know that you are one and the same.”

“Why not?” she shouted at him. “Is this not what you wanted?”

“I want to get you safely to Calathen. I want to reveal you there, where I know people will be glad to see you.” Gersius ran his fingers through his hair in frustration. “Here in a small farming town hundreds of miles away from Calathen people are liable to run in panic, or take up arms if they find out you are a dragon.”

“Those people down there didn't care!” she said, throwing her hand in the air. “They were giving me gold and silver!”

“Lilly, please! I need you to act like a human while you are in human form. You can not do anything only a dragon could do,” he said, standing up and walking to get some breathing room.

“But I'm not human. I may look it, but I'm not,” she said, folding her arms over her chest in anger. “Everything I do is wrong. I can’t so much as breath without it being wrong.”

Gersius spun around and bent down at her. “If ice and frost are going to come out of your mouth when you do, then no, you can not.”

“I told you I didn't understand your ways, and you said you would guide me. Maybe it would be better if you commanded me and took away my free will. Then at least it wouldn't be my fault when something went wrong,” she said, standing up to challenge him.

Gersius wanted to lash back at her, but he bit his tongue. He could feel his emotions getting the better of him. More so, he could feel Lilly. The bind was somehow sharing her mood with him. He could feel anger and confusion as a sort of faint pressure that dug at him. He considered that and wisely chose not to respond, for fear he would say something hurtful.

“Just get me to Calathen so we can end this charade,” Lilly said, turning away. “I am sick of trying to pretend I am one of you.”

“We are going to the city of Whiteford first,” Gersius said, his voice trailing off.

“What?” Lilly said as she turned around. “You said we needed to go to Calathen.”

“I went to meet with a brother of my order. He passed on a message from the Father Abbot. I am to meet him at Whiteford.”

“Why?” she demanded to know.

“I do not know why, and I do not like it, but duty demands I obey. I cannot disobey a direct command from the Father Abbot.”

“You told me time was running out! That we needed to get to Calathen as fast as possible! Now you’re telling me we are going to this other place first?” She paused a moment to think. “Where is this, Whiteford?”

“About a week southwest of where we are now,” Gersius said, walking to the empty bed and sitting down.

“A week! So we have to turn around and march a full week away from our destination. I have to languish in this ridiculous form while you yell at me for making mistakes?”

“I am sorry, Lilly. I cannot refuse an order,” he said, looking down at the floor.

Lilly didn't respond; she turned back to her bed and looked down at her coins. She swatted them in frustration, scattering some around the room and crawled into bed, her back to him.

He decided the best thing to do was to let her sleep and peeled his armor off before climbing into the other bed. He tried in vain to sleep for hours as worries plagued his mind, and a pressing weight crushed his shoulders. He needed to get Lilly safely to Calathen, that was his only objective, but he could not disobey a direct order. The rattle of coins made him look to Lilly. She curled into a ball atop her little pile, clutching them to her chest. She was right, she might look human, but she would always be a dragon.

3