1-11 Betrayed by Faith
22 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tavis looked over the paper and then tossed it on the tavern table. It seemed impossible to be true, but then they were talking about Gersius.

“So he marches a dragon to Whiteford,” he said while sitting back and throwing his booted feet on the table.

Ayawa picked up the page and looked at it again as her eyes narrowed with disbelief. “So it would seem.”

“Trust Gersius to actually find one,” he said and shifted to get more comfortable. “I suppose we shouldn't have doubted him.”

“We?” Ayawa replied with a sound of shock. “It was you who should never have doubted him. I had complete faith in his madness,” she said, placing the fingertips of her right hand over her heart.

Tavis shot her a look from under his black broad-rimmed hat. “I was there when you tried to convince him not to go.”

“I tried to convince him to take us with,” she shot back with a frown.

He gazed at her as she crumpled the paper in her hand. Even when she was angry, Ayawa was a lovely woman. He noted how her brow tightened, and her lower lip twitched in frustration. It was all familiar to him from the years they had been together. He knew every feature of her face from memory and relished the way she carried herself. Ayawa was proud and sure, with a hunter's skill for navigating and deadly accuracy with a bow. She had a slight redness to her skin, common among the people of the southern tribes. Her raven black hair was long and wild but frequently braided with ribbons or ornaments. Today it was a single long rope that down her back to her waist. She had big eyes that sparkled with green and a rather sharp nose. Her lips were full and her face slender, giving her a haughty expression when she glared at someone.

Despite her very feminine appearance, she often wore skins and leathers. She Favored the earthy tones of browns and greens that would blend into the wilds of a forest. Her one peculiarity was her gloves made of the finest cloth. She went out of her way to care for these and always carried an extra pair. She claimed it made the touch of a bowstring more comfortable, but Tavis suspected she simply liked them.

He smiled and conceded the point when he caught sight of the stern look in her eyes.

“I am sure he would be better off if he had let us go,” he said, still studying her lips. “The man is good at being a soldier, but this task calls for subtlety and stealth.”

Fighting a dragon calls for armies and arrows,” Ayawa shot back as she picked up her mug and downed a full ale.

“Sheesh, woman, you can drink!” Tavis said as she put the empty mug back down.

“Lucky for you, I do,” she said with a smile.

“Aww, I thought it was my boyish good looks that won you over,” he said, still smiling.

“A few more of these,” she said, waiving for another drink. “And you might be that good-looking.”

He laughed a full-bodied laugh at her comments. It was one of the things Ayawa loved about him. He could always find humor even in the direst of circumstances, and he knew how to laugh at a good joke.

“So where did he say he wanted us to meet him?” she asked as a fresh mug arrived at the table.

“Some little village called Pinehollow on the road to Whiteford,” Tavis said, watching her down another drink.

She pulled the mug away and shook her head as if clearing her thoughts.

“How long did he say we had to get there?”

“Three days.”

*******

Gersius was unsettled as the carriage made its way up the ramp to the inner keep. The high walls cast long shadows into the plaza, shrouding the vast space in gloomy darkness. It echoed the feelings at his core as he longed to be at Lilly's side.

The mood in the carriage was tense, and the whole ride back felt wrong. His order was gifted with a sense when danger was close, and now that sensation clawed at his mind. He tried to justify it, considering the Father Abbot was pleased and Lilly would soon be healed. Everything they hoped for and more was happening. What luck that the seal was in the city with a host of brothers powerful enough to use it. Why then was Astikar sending him warnings of impending danger?

The Father Abbot was distant and lost in thought, saying little on the trip back. He asked a few questions about Lilly, especially how Gersius had come to know her name. Gersius told him the truth that it was the name she wanted. The Father Abbot looked down his nose at that reply but said no more about it. When they arrived at the keep, he asked Gersius to wait in the courtyard while he conducted some business. He went into a doorway across the yard and returned a few minutes later. He said nothing but gestured to Gersius to follow him into the keep proper.

“I just arranged for the seal to be moved, and the brothers assembled for the healing. They should begin the process within the hour,” the Father Abbot said as they walked.

“Astikar be praised,” Gersius said, bowing his head in reverence at the wonderful news.

“Indeed,” the Father Abbot added and cast him a sideways glance.

Gersius paid the glance no head as his mind thought of Lilly. He longed to be at her side and lend his voice to the healing of the wounded dragon. He asked to be permitted to return to her side, insisting she would feel safer to see him there.

The Father was silent a long moment with his gaze fixed forward. He didn’t even bother to look at Gersius when he finally replied in an ominous tone.

“I need you here, Gersius. There is much we need to discuss.”

He followed the Father Abbot through a series of twisting stone corridors deep into the keep. They arrived at a room that featured a large central table. On the wall behind it was a great hearth already aglow with fire. A lavish chair with plush cushions was placed at the head of the table so as to be directly before the fire. Standing at attention were eight men, four on either side. They wore the golden plate armor and red sashes of the holy guard. It struck Gersius as odd that there would be guards waiting here, especially when he considered how few stood at the door outside.

The table was already set with a red dunner and a centerpiece of flowers. There were candles at the center and places around the room so that their light might soften the darkness. Aside from the plush chair at the head, there were four rather ordinary chairs with low backs in pairs at either side.

“Come. Get that armor off, and sit. Let us have something to eat, and we can discuss your dragon.” The Father Abbot spoke in a gentle voice, but his words echoed of a command. He motioned to the chair directly to the right of his comfy throne as he sat and watched. Gersius bowed his head and took a moment to remove his armor. He carefully set it against the wall and took his place to the right of the Father.

“Tell me, Gersius. Have you been apprised of the current situation in the war?” the Father Abbot asked, sitting rigidly in his chair.

Gersius shifted uncomfortably as he felt strangely out of place. The Father was glaring down his nose as if annoyed to be addressing him. He turned his head to regard the men standing at the wall. Once again, he wondered why the Father Abbot felt threatened. In his soul, he felt the cry of alarm as his God screamed his warning, but glancing around the room, he could not imagine where the danger could be.

“I regret I was forced to travel through the wilds and have not heard any news. The only contact with the order has been with brother Jessivel, and he had nothing to say but that I was to come here.”

“Yes, I am well aware of the route you planned. I still don’t understand why it was so important to hide the passage of your men,” he said, his voice hinting of disapproval.

Gersius ignored the tone and explained his concern that he did not want the enemy's spies to note his absence. If they knew he was far to the east, they might be emboldened to press their attack. Even as he said the words, he thought of the bandersooks and wondered if somehow the enemy knew anyway. How could such creatures have gotten so far east and found him hidden in the forest? He put the thought away and asked the Father what had happened in his absence.

“The war is going poorly,” the dour man said matter of factually. “There have been two major engagements since you left your post.”

“The two middle armies,” Gersius guessed as dread crawled up his spine.

“Yes, the main force strikes out across the green plains. It marches slowly but steadily east. We were harassing it, using cavalry to strike and run quickly.” He paused a moment and looked at Gersius with a sideways glance. “That was your suggestion, wasn't it? Slow their progress, delay them until more men could be gathered to hold the border keep?”

Gersius nodded and explained to need to slow the enemy's advance. If they were allowed to march unopposed, they would reach the border keeps before he could reach the dragon.

“Knight-Captain Havel didn't agree with you,” the Father Abbot said while looking away. “He mustered what men he had and marched them out to meet the advancing line.”

Gersius knew the follow of that plan immediately. The Doan was an enemy that thrived in the open ground, and the green plains of Ashamoor were a vast open sea of flat grasslands. To face them head-on was suicide, and he knew the outcome even before the Father Abbot finished.

“It was a massacre. Havel lost half his forces and nearly a third of the battle priests assigned to his command. The loss has soured the kings of the lesser provinces. Now more than ever, they hold their armies inside their borders, determined to defend their own lands.”

Gersius was devastated but pleaded his case. This was all the more reason to leave for Calathen immediately. Lilly needed to be marched through the golden gate so they could call the shattered kingdoms into a new empire. She would be the symbol they needed to give the people hope.

The Father Abbot wore a sour look on his face as if Gersius's plea had offended him. He looked as if about to speak when the doors opened and servants filed in carrying trays.

“Ahh, dinner has arrived,” the Father announced, countenance finally showing some measure of pleasure.

The conversation paused while the table was set and silver platters piled high with roast meats were laid out. Additional trays of fruits, bread, cheese, and cups of fine oils were placed before the Father in an almost decadent display. The wine was poured, and Gersius was handed a glass of beautiful crystal with a golden handle by a young girl. She smiled as he took the glass with a dip of his head before looking to the Father.

“They have such fine wines in the cellar here. I may bring some of it back with us when we leave,” the Father Abbot said before taking a sip with a simple cup.

The servants finished placing the food, then bowed as they backed out of the room, sealing the door behind them. Gersius was left holding his wine in silence as the divine warning echoed with a terrible wail. He thought to mention it to the Father Abbot, but he was cut off before he could speak.

“The second army is also on the move,” he began as if the conversation hadn’t been interrupted. “It has moved further south where we held it at the gates of Stonewatch for four days.”

“Stonewatch is a fortress protected by hills on three sides. How could it have fallen in four days?” Gersius asked in shock. Stonewatch had been a strong point in his defense plan. He intended to mass his army outside and fortify the city. If he had to, they would fall back into the city and turn it into a wall the enemy would never cross.

“Yes, it would appear captain Bilders was not up to the task.”

Gersius closed his eyes at the name. Captain Bilders was a province commander, not a brother. He was a shrewd military man that believed in attacking, always attacking. While he might have been good on the offense, Gersius knew the man would have no idea how to defend a fortress.

“What happened to commander Kellis?” Gersius asked of the man he had left in charge.

“I had need of his services elsewhere,” the Father Abbot replied before taking a bite of meat. He chewed it slowly and glanced at Gersius to study his reaction. “Fortunately for us, the Doan have a vested interest in taking prisoners. The army is currently sacking the city and rounding up its populace.”

Gersius took a long drink of wine to settle his rattled nerves. He wanted to voice his disapproval of the Father Abbot moving a vital commander but didn't dare offend the man again. Instead, he focused on the second bit of news that the Doan had stopped to round up and organize prisoners. Why the Doan were being so methodical about taking prisoners was something they couldn't explain. They stripped the land of its people like a locust stripped a tree and shipped them west for reasons unknown.

“To lose such a strategic point. We will have to fall back thirty miles to the hills before we can find even half as good a defensive position. That puts them practically at the southern keeps and into the open country.” Gersius tried not to sound angry, but he knew his words had been sharp. His anger grew when the Father replied with a simple yes as if that was all that needed to be said. He paused to sip his wine and sample more of the meats, all the while glancing at Gersius with eyes full of judgment.

All of this was making him feel uneasy. Why did the Father Abbot seem to delight in telling him the bad news? Why did he look at Gersius as if this news was all his fault?

“Many in the order believe your place was at the front, Gersius,” he said after another taste of his wine. “They question the wisdom in letting the only commander to defeat the Doan go chasing after a legend.”

“It is no legend, my Father. Lilly is here. We were never going to win this war with the men we had. Now we have the means to do what must be done.”

“And what must be done?” he asked, a mocking smile gently curling his lips.

“The empire must be reformed, and the armies of every province brought to bear on the enemy. The Doan have raised enough men to attack us in three places at once. I cannot move my men fast enough to meet every thrust. I need to match their numbers, and then I plan an offensive to destroy them.”

“And how do you plan to blunt enough to gain the offensive?” the dour man asked before plucking a grape into his mouth.

Gersius explained his plan to use the frontier keeps as the anvil. First, he would reinforce the lines enough to blunt the enemy and hold them. Then, with the new armies from the empire, he would lead one massive force and strike in the south. He would destroy the southern army then roll right up the front, trapping the middle and northern armies against the border keeps. They would have no choice but to flee in disarray across the serpentine or risk being annihilated.

“So it’s that simple?” the Father Abbot questioned while dipping a slice of bread. He didn’t seem at all impressed with the plan and showed his disinterest with a slight yawn.

“With the kingdoms united, we can combine their forces in an army larger than any one of the enemies. They are too far apart to reinforce one another, meaning we can engage and destroy them one at a time. The Doan do not realize it, but they have handed us the means to defeat them by breaking into three smaller groups. Now with Lilly, we can do the impossible and unite the empire once again.”

“Yes, of course, the return of the dragon knight. The old hero comes back in our darkest hour. Do you really believe that hero is you?” the Father Abbot interrupted.

Gersius felt his sense of danger spike at those words. Why had the mention of the dragon knight caused such apprehension? He glanced around the room again and took a sip of his wine to calm his nerves before he answered.

“It does not matter what I believe,” he replied with a tense voice. “The people believe in the story. They look for a symbol of hope. With Lilly, we can give them that symbol and rally them to our cause.”

The Father Abbot fixed Gersius with a questioning stare. His calculating eyes read him with cold precision as the warning in his heart cried out that it was too late.

“Let's talk about your dragon, Gersius. Let’s talk about Lilly.”

Lilly nervously sat in the barn with a burning hope in her heart. Gersius brought the leader of his order to see her, and the man said he would heal her wings. The joy was overwhelming as she looked up and through a skylight at the darkening sky. She imagined flying through the night air with wings full of the wind as the ground raced by.

She wished Gersius had allowed her to change into her human form. Then she could have gone with them, and maybe she would already be healed. With a sigh, she wiped a tear away, a gesture that had become all too common these days. It was a small thing to wait just a little longer.

When she heard voices outside, her heart began to beat faster. She dared to look through a gap in the boards to see at least twenty men in black armor, much like Gersius. They were unloading bundles wrapped in cloth out of three wagons and setting them to the side. One of them wore a black hooded cloak and talked with one of the guards posted outside the barn. She couldn’t hear what they were saying but noticed the guard point the barn as the hooded man nodded.

She was so nervous that she backed away from the doors and wished Gersius was here to hold her hand. She struggled to remain calm and hold back tears. Over and over, she told herself that she was a dragon, strong and proud. There was no reason to be so overcome, but oh, how she never thought she would fly again. Her heart raced at the thought of finally being able to stretch out her wings and take to the sky!

The large doors suddenly shifted and pulled open to reveal the hooded man standing with two others. Lilly nearly forgot to breathe as they stared at her with looks of wonder.

“Greetings, Lilly,” the man said in a firm voice, “We are here to fix your wings.”

Lilly shed a tear despite trying hard to remain strong. The long nightmare was almost over, and she would be whole again. Soon, the sky would be her domain once more, and she would be a queen of the sky.

“Come. We need to draw a circle of power in the yard. You must stand inside so we can focus our power,” he said, beckoning her forward.

She struggled to walk forward; her wings dragged on the ground. Twice she caught a broken edge on a post, wincing at the pain. The doorway to the barn was harder to navigate. She had to duck down, stepping on her wings in the process, causing her to cry out. She took a deep breath and pushed on, determined to make it outside and be whole. It wouldn't be long now. Soon she would fly again!

Outside, thirty men gathered in a large circle and began to chant with the deep rolling tones she heard Gersius use. A faint reddish glow was beginning to grow at their feet, and it spread to form a vague ring of light. Lilly noticed that most of the men wore simple red robes. Around them were men dressed like Gersius in full armor. However, theirs was different in that it was darker with red instead of gold and a strange bird-like emblem. They stood just outside the circle as if guarding the proceedings while two more waited at the wagons.

“Come. You need to stand in the circle so we can concentrate our power on you,” the hooded man said, waving her forward. He led the way going right to the edge of the ring of light and pointing to the center.

Lilly found it easier to move now that she was outside. She struggled forward, daring to lift her battered wings to keep them out from under her feet. They still dragged on the ground, but she bore the pain for soon they would be whole again. With a sigh of relief, she finally made it into the circle and carefully sat at the center.

The hooded priest nodded and stepped back as he urged her to relax and lifted his hands.

Something tickled at the back of her mind, a sense that all was not right. She remembered what Gersius had said about the process and realized something was missing.

“Where is this seal Gersius mentioned? He said you needed it to heal my wings?”

“Don't worry. We are going to fix your wings,” the hooded man replied with a wide smile.

Lilly felt strange as a heavy feeling came over her. They began to chant louder, and the sensation increased. The red light grew in intensity until it bathed the area in its eerie glow. Suddenly it felt as if the light was pulling at her, driving her down. She began to struggle against the pull, but it grew quickly to a crushing pressure.

“What is happening?” she shouted in panic, “What are you doing?”

“We’re doing what Gersius could not,” the man said as he threw back the hood. “We’re subduing a dragon.”

Lilly heard the mocking words and tried to roar in defiance but struggled even to breathe. The weight crushing down on her was becoming unbearable, and her limbs began to shake. Her wings folded and pressed to the ground causing throbbing pain. She tried to breathe deep enough to blast the men with ice but couldn't get enough air.

“Gersius said you were going to heal me!” she cried as her body hit the ground, unable to bear the weight anymore.

“Gersius is a fool!” Dellain spat as she struggled in the dirt. With that, Dellain made a motion to the soldiers by the cart. They quickly unwrapped the bundles revealing a series of metal rings and chains.

“The spell is complete. She won't be able to move until we release it.” said the robed man to his left.

“Chain her!” Dellain ordered, and the armored men moved to the wagons. They took up the rings and chains, carrying them to Lilly, who could do nothing but watch in terror. Around her arms and legs went metal cuffs whose surface was etched with glowing red letters. Each cuff had a long chain that led to a simple metal block about the size of a man's head. Another ring went around her neck, just below her jaw. Like the others, it was connected to a chain that ran down her back. A final loop was clasped around her chest just behind her shoulders. This one had had a strange bracket to which the men attached a final device, a seat for a rider.

Lilly screamed in defiance as the men bound her like an animal.

“Why?” she cried. “Why are you doing this?” She struggled to lift her head but could not get it off the ground. The robed men backed away, and a priest stood at each of the strange stone blocks. With a word of command, the blocks floated a foot off the ground. The priests moved the blocks away from Lilly, taking the slack out of the chains. She felt the chains pulling on her arms and legs until her limbs were stretched out, and she lay flat on her belly. She watched in terror as Dellain walked right up knelt beside her head.

“You’re mine now, dragon. You will do what I say,” he said in a cold, smooth tone.

A tear ran down Lilly's cheek as she lay there helpless. She didn't understand what was happening or why they were hurting her. It had to be a mistake. She struggled to get enough breath to speak.

“Gersius said you were going to heal my wings,” Lilly moaned in a deep, regretful voice.

Dellain stood up, a smile on his face as he stepped away and looked at the broken wings.

“Don't worry. We're going to fix your wings.”

His voice was pleased as if her words had amused him. He gestured to the two men that were still standing beside the wagons. Lilly followed his gesture, only able to see the men clearly with one eye. The two men now held axes, and renewed terror flooded her heart when she realized why they were there.

“No! please!” she wailed and struggled against the weight and the chains. The effort was useless, and the magical cuffs only dug at her limbs.

“Brother Dellain, we should put the muzzle on her,” the man to Dellain’s left said.

“Not yet,” he said, holding up his hand. “I want to hear her sing.”

The two men approached, and Lilly broke down, pleaded with the humans as glowing blue tears poured down her face. “Please! I want to fly! I want to fly again!”

They walked around her and disappeared from her sight someplace along her back. When the chopping started, the countryside echoed with terrible wails and sobbing screams.

Dellain smiled and remarked, “She sings beautifully.”


Gersius suddenly dropped his fork as pain ran up his back. His mind clouded over, and he felt a sudden sense of panic and terror. It welled up from inside, and in his mind, he heard a voice calling for him.

“Lilly!”

“Is something the matter, Gersius?” the Father Abbot asked while wiping his hands on a cloth.

“You will forgive me your excellence, but there is something wrong with Lilly. I must go.” He grunted as a renewed spike of pain flooded his senses.

“Is there now?” the Father Abbot asked, showing the first genuine interest in him all night. “Tell me. How do you know that?”

Gersius wasn't sure how to answer, and he didn't care. All he wanted to do was get back to Lilly. He was sure she was in danger and was calling for him.

“Is it because you lied to me?” the Father Abbot said, tossing the rag down. “Did you expect me to believe you befriended a dragon?” He rolled his eyes as he spoke as if the very idea was absurd.

“My Father I never lied to you. I am sorry I must go,” Gersius said, standing up.

“Sit down, Gersius!” the Father Abbot yelled.

Gersius hesitated. He could feel stabbing pains in his back, pains he knew were coming across the bind from Lilly.

“I said sit down!” the old man roared, getting to his feet himself. “You never befriended that dragon. You have it bound!” he added, his face going hard as stone.

Gersius's heart filled with turmoil. He didn't dare walk out on the Father Abbot, but he also couldn't wait any longer. He knew what he was feeling was coming from Lilly, and she needed him now. He locked eyes with the older man and tried to explain himself as quickly as he could.

“Father, it is true I have her bound,” he said, flinching as another pain rolled up his back. “But Lilly is a friend. I never ordered her to help us. She is doing that of her own free will.”

“So not only did you not tame her, you haven't even dared to command her.” The tone was harsh and meant to mock him. Gersius could see the Father Abbot was not moved by her willingness to help.

“I treat her with honor and respect. I only give her a command when I feel it is in her best interest.”

“So you failed the men I gave you, and you failed to command your dragon. Tell me, Gersius. Are there any more failures I need to know about?” The smile that curled the old man's face was one of victory, like a predator that had its prey cornered.

At that moment, Gersius understood the warnings that had echoed in his heart. He mistakenly believed that safety could be found among his brothers, but it was his brothers who were the danger. A rage began to boil in his blood as his hands curled into fists. He no longer cared to show respect as his eyes became a deadly glare. He understood now why he had been brought here. This was a trap meant to lure him away from Lilly.

“What have you done to Lilly?” he said in a deadly tone.

“I want her name, Gersius,” the Father Abbot said in a relaxed tone.

“Her name is Lilly,” Gersius replied in a low growl that dripped with a threat.

“Do not play games with me!” the Father Abbot roared. “I want her name! Her true name!”

“I have sworn on my honor as a priest of Astikar never to reveal her true name!” Gersius roared with fierce determination.

“I am the Father Abbot, Highest priest of Astikar. I absolve you of your promises and your duty to this dragon. Now tell me her true name!” he roared back, slamming his hand on the table.

Gersius was done playing this game and turned to leave. This man could bellow until the sun burned out, but he would never learn her name.

“Guards!” the Father Abbot shouted. “Restrain that man!” The men along the back wall rushed forward; swords leveled at Gersius. “One last chance, Gersius, priest of Astikar. Tell me the dragon's true name,” the Father Abbot said as the swords closed around him.

Gersius lifted his hands in submission, unwilling to fight his holy brothers. He went to speak and try to reason with them when another sharp pain raced down his back. It was followed by a deep weeping sadness that filled his heart. As if a dream was suddenly achieved only to be snatched away and destroyed. A blanket of despair like he had never known washed over him as he looked at the men who barred his way. Brothers or not, they were going to get out of his way.

“I will never reveal her name!” he said through clenched teeth. His blood raced as he reached for divine power, his hand curling as if holding a weapon. He felt the power begin to flow, his glowing with an orange light, but the room started to spin.

“Feeling a little light-headed, are we?” the Father Abbot said as Gersius staggered back, his body suddenly weak. “You really should be careful how much wine you drink.”

Gersius immediately saw the trap. The girl handed him the crystal glass while the Father Abbot drank from a plain one. He had been played for a fool and drugged to ensure he could not go to Lilly’s aid.

“Why?” Gersius said, struggling to stand.

“Why did you have to find one, Gersius? Why did you have to find a dragon?” the Father Abbot replied.

Gersius's world became a blur, and he was filled with a sensation of falling. He regained a brief moment of clarity to see the Father Abbot's face hovering over him with a displeased expression.

“You will give me the name, Gersius,” he heard in a distant voice.

The light of the world went out, leaving him only darkness and a vague awareness of the bind. Far away, he could feel Lilly sobbing in absolute despair.

2