1-13 flight of the Dragon
24 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The morning light brought no relief to Lilly, who groaned as she struggled to move. She lay flat on her stomach with her limbs stretched tight by the magical chains. Her body stung from the strange device the wicked men called whips. Her shoulders ached where the stubs that were once her wings continued to throb and trickle with blood.

She was careful to remain silent and avoid drawing any more of the cruel attention of her captors. She learned her lesson the night before when they ordered her to stop crying. When she failed, they shoved a wooden post in her mouth and wrapped her snout with chains. They pulled them tightly, forcing her to bite down on the post stifling her cries. To test the effectiveness, they beat her with the whips until satisfied she would remain quiet.

Now she lay helpless in some yard that smelled of horses. She could hear them inside the strange building to her right but didn't dare move her head to look. She was terrified to draw the attention of the dozen men who stood nearby, waiting for a reason to punish her. They all wore the same black armor trimmed in red with the emblem of a bird on one shoulder. She knew they were priests, but they were not like Gersius. These men were profane, wicked, and delighted in causing misery. Several times now, one of them had thrown a stone just to harm her, and early one kicked her as he passed. She was an object of scorn to these men, something to be abused and mocked, and she was helpless to stop them.

She tested the pull of the chains flexing her arm ever so slightly to avoid giving away that she was awake. The wicked chains held fast, burning with a strange magical energy. She could feel that power now, strengthening chains and defying her strength while at the same time burning her skin. The pain was dull but a constant reminder that she was a prisoner, and there was to be no escape. She followed the chains with her gaze to see they ended in metal blocks about the size of a man's chest. The blocks glowed with red symbols and were impossible for her to move. However, the priests could move them with ease, waving a hand over them while issuing a verbal command. They could cause the blocks to float and follow them, dragging Lilly along like a pet on a chain.

She fought the urge to cry at her circumstances for several hours, but slowly, that emotion began to change. She started to feel anger like never before as her sorrow and self-pity were consumed. Lilly wanted to kill these men and freeze their precious city in a tomb of ice. She would kill every last one of them and feast on their flesh if given a chance. These rodents didn't realize what they had done and who she was. She was a dragon and would not be treated like this! Her rage needed an outlet and thought of how she had come to be in these circumstances.

This is Gersius's fault!” her mind echoed in fiery anger. He was the one who brought her here, promising to heal her wings. Then these men who claimed to be of his order came and butchered her instead. They might call on the same god, but they lacked any measure of compassion or mercy. Instead, they were brutal and violent, and she would one day visit that violence back on them.

Even as she tried to curse Gersius for what he had done, she found herself wondering where he was. For a brief moment, her anger cleared, and she began to remember. Didn't he say he would die before he allowed any harm to come to her? Surely he would not have allowed this to happen? Why then was she beaten and chained? He never struck her as cruel in all the time spent with him. The idea echoed in her mind, but she could not make sense of it, not until she thought of something else.

What if this was all a ruse? Maybe he was lying to her the whole time to trick her into coming here. Now that she thought about it, she never saw this messenger that supposedly ordered them to Whiteford. She had nothing to go on but his word and the promise that she would be healed. She pleaded with him to take her into the city, but he insisted she stay in the barn. He hadn't even come back to see if she was safe. Instead, he must have sent those wicked men to capture her and chop off her wings. He seemed hesitant to say her wings would be healed. Was that because he never intended to heal them in the first place?

She shuddered in rage as the thoughts built on one another as she cursed her stupidity. Her mother warned her time and time again not to go near the humans. She told Lilly to keep her valley a secret and do nothing to cause them to come looking. Gersius was probably paid a hoard of gold for luring a stupid dragon into captivity. He and that old man were probably sitting comfortably and laughing at how stupid she was as Gersius retold the story. She fell for all his lies and followed him here like the fool she was, and she was a prisoner. A voice broke through her self-deprecating thoughts and made her anger turn elsewhere as she recognized who it was.

“Get the men together. We're moving the beast to the plaza,” Dellain commanded to the men watching over her. He spoke specifically to a man who had red ropes on one shoulder. Dellain had called him by name the night before, but in Lilly's torment, it was hard to recall. The pain of those whips had dulled her senses and turned the hours into one long, painful dream. All she remembered was it sounded like Kaleck, and he was given the task of keeping her quiet.

“Why to the plaza?” the man said in a deep voice.”The whole bleeding city will see it.”

“That's the point,” Dellain replied with a glance her way. “Gersius's ceremony will be there, and the dragon is going to attend to bear witness.”

“What good is going to come of that?” the man asked as Dellain turned back to him.

“Ask the Father Abbot,” Dellain replied.

Lilly felt hot as her blood boiled in a terrible rage. Gersius was going to be rewarded with a ceremony for luring her here. They were going to put her on display as a trophy to his lies while they showered him in accolades!

As her anger cleared, she realized Dellain had finished speaking and was approaching.

“I hope you're comfortable,” he said through a mocking smile as he neared. “Better make yourself pretty; you have a party to attend.” He arrived beside her head and bent low to look her directly in the eye. “When we get through with this ceremony, you and I are going to have a conversation. If you know what's good for you, you're going to tell me what I want to know.”

Chains rattled as Lilly struggled to twist her neck and snap the man in two. She wanted this man to suffer as she had suffered. She would break his arms before ripping them from their sockets. Then she would eat them while he watched and howled in pain. After that, she would let him suffer, slowly bleeding to death while she watched every agonizing moment. The chains held fast, barely rattling as the hated man chuckled and walked away. She was left to stew in her anger and frustration as the other men moved to the metal blocks.

Once again, she thought of the man who brought her to this terrible place. Gersius had lied about everything. She remembered that night when he looked her in the eye and promised he would never sell or abuse her. He promised she would never be put on display to be laughed at and mocked. Now she was sold and delivered to these wicked men. They had abused and beaten her and were now going to drag her off to put on display. She would be laughed at and mocked as Gersius was showered with rewards. He would be presented as the hero, and she the mighty beast he had subdued. Once again, she wished she had died the day they met. She wished the red had killed her instead of leaving her to rot slowly.

Her musings were interrupted as the chains moved, and she was allowed to retract her sore arms. She didn't fight the men as they caused the blocks to levitate and began to lead them across the yard. She had no choice but to go where they went. To resist would only cause them to drag her. Her wrists already hurt from being dragged the night before, and they must decide to use the whips again. With head hung low, they led her out, Gersius's prize dragon, Lilly the fool.


They were well into the farms that surrounded the city, having run the whole way. Thayle couldn't believe how well she felt, especially considering she was wearing heavy armor. Tavis's spell hadn't allowed her to run any faster, but certainly for much longer than she should have. After miles of running at such speeds, she felt no worse than if she had run the length of her temple. They would be in the city before the hour was up, but Tavis ordered her to stop and get off the road. Now they crouched in a hedgerow, trying to stay out of sight of a danger she couldn't see.

“Why have we stopped?” she asked.

Tavis was slow to respond as he searched the road ahead. All he could say was that something was wrong. When Thayle asked him how he knew, he pointed out that Ayawa was hiding. Thayle looked down the muddy lane searching for the southern woman. For the past three hours, Ayawa had run ahead, acting as a scout. She was careful to stay close enough that they could see her, but now she was gone.

“Maybe she got too far ahead?” Thayle asked even though she didn’t believe it.

Tavis shook his head as he studied the landscape before them. “We have done this many times. She never allows me to lose sight of her unless she senses something amiss and needs to hide. She must have sensed something ahead that caused her to feel threatened.”

“We're less than three miles from the city,” Thayle argued. “I can see the outlying town from here. What danger could there possibly be?”

“I don’t know, but I trust Ayawa,” he responded with a hint of frustration in his voice.

Thayle couldn't understand what the problem could be and pressed her point. “We are in heavily settled land patrolled by city and local watchmen. This road is thick with travelers and trade wagons, not bandits and thieves. What could she possibly be –,” It came on her in an instant as she considered her own words causing a cold chill to crawl up her spine.

Tavis turned around as she choked and looked about, almost frantic to be wrong. “Is there something wrong, priestess?”

Thayle looked at him, alarmed, and pointed to the road. “There is nobody here.”

“What do you mean?” he asked as she waved her hand.

“Think about what I just said. We are right outside a major city in heavily settled lands. This road is a major artery that sees regular traffic of farmers and traders going into the city to sell their wares.”

“And there are no people to be seen,” Tavis said as he caught on. “The road has been empty for the last couple of miles. Perhaps it is the time of day?”

Thayle shook her head and explained that she had been this way many times. The roads were never empty, and that meant something was wrong.”

“I trust your experience. Something must be amiss,” Tavis said as he turned back to look for Ayawa. “There she is!” he added and pointed to a dark form dropping from a tree twenty yards up the road.

Thayle could see the southern woman who stepped into the road slowly. She turned and looked directly to where they were hiding before making a hand gesture.

“She wants us to move to her,” Tavis said as he got up.

“How did she climb a tree so quickly?” Thayle asked as they got back on the road.

Tavis laughed and suggested that Ayawa had probably jumped. He then took the lead, running to close the gap and rejoin the dark woman. When they reached her, Ayawa was focused on searching the landscape ahead, her face locked in a scowl.

“There are no people to be found anywhere,” Ayawa stated the moment they arrived.

“We already noticed that,” Tavis replied with a wink at Thayle. “The priestess assures me that this is very unlikely to happen.”

“I have been here well over a hundred times at all hours of the day,” Thayle interjected. “It has never been deserted.”

Ayawa nodded and took a step down the road turning her head to point an ear to the city.

“What is she doing?” Thayle whispered to Tavis.

“Listening to the wind,” he replied softly. “It’s a skill of her people.”

“I heard bells earlier,” Ayawa replied as if she had heard their exchange. “I hear them again now.”

Thayle listened, failing to hear anything but the nearby cows. “I don't hear anything,” she admitted, but Ayawa moved on and began to explain.

“There are farm animals about, but the town ahead is abandoned,” she said and turned back to look at Tavis and Thayle. “What would empty the countryside of people? The war is months away, and I know of no reports of disease. So why would the whole of the region be empty?”

“They must have all gone into the city,” Thayle replied

“I told you, the war is months away,” Ayawa reminded and pointed to the west.

“There are other reasons besides war to draw people to the city,” Thayle argued. “It could be a festival or some special event. Something important enough that they sent town criers out to call the people in.”

It’s Gersius,” Tavis said with a sigh. “This has to be because of Gersius.”

“Why must that man always bite off more than ten men can chew?” Ayawa asked with a voice of stone.

“Because Gersius is more than ten men,” Tavis replied.

“We don’t know that it’s Gersius,” Thayle interrupted. “He came here to meet with his leadership, not hold a festival. If the whole countryside has gone into the city, it must be a major event. It's something important like appointing a new regent, or a major proclamation, or an –“ once again, Thayle choked on her words as her face went pale.

“An execution,” Tavis finished for her and looked to Ayawa. “Gersius must be in trouble.”

Ayawa’s face went hard as stone as she nodded and turned to the road. “He must have been right about his order. He said strange things were going on. What if they turned on him?”

“Then this might all have been a trap,” Tavis agreed.

“We are less than an hour run from the gates. We may still be in time,” Ayawa urged.

“Ayawa,” Tavis called before she ran off. “The gates will undoubtedly be guarded. If the order has turned on Gersius, you can be sure they are looking for his friends. We are two of his most well-known companions. You can rest assured our descriptions have been given to every guard in the city. We won't be able to enter without being arrested.”

Thayle could see the conflict in the woman's eyes as she heard the wisdom in Tavis's warning. If Gersius was in trouble, they might not reach him in time.

Lilly seethed with rage as her worst fears came to pass. She was brought out of the secluded yard and taken to a large platform in a massive yard. Her mouth was still chained shut over the post so nobody could hear her sob. It wouldn't have mattered as Lilly was too angry to cry, and her tears had long since passed. The men guarding her pulled the blocks on her forearms, forcing her to stand on her hind legs with arms thrown wide. It was a position meant to put her on display for the thousands of rodents gathering in the yard below. She watched as they pointed and shouted, gathering in a great mass to laugh at her. She glared back with a hatred that burned to her core and seared her solus. Her eye fixed on a man near the base of the steps who was laughing. Near him were two small boys, pushing one another as if to dare and get closer. Near the wall was a strange woman with long wavy golden hair. She stood there with hands over her mouth as if appalled by what she saw. Thousands more slowly pressed into a great mass as the streets flooded with their wretched kind. Lilly saw them all watching and pointing at her, the stupid dragon captured by the hero Gersius.

For several long minutes, she trembled in rage until the gates to her right opened, and out stepped one of the men she longed to kill. The Father Abbot was dressed in fine flowing robes of red and white, the star of Astikar emblazoned on every surface. He strode to the top of the steps with six other men in robes or armor and stood before the gathering crowd.

He was an object of special hatred, a man who must have been a part of Gersius's plan. The two worked together to lure her to this place and bring such terrible shame on her. Lilly silently vowed to kill him as slowly she would Dellain, perhaps even as slowly as she wanted to kill Gersius. Gersius would suffer the most for his lies, and she would delight in every second of it. It was in this thought that her eyes went wide, and terror seeped into her heart. Gersius had lied to her about everything! That meant he had no intention of keeping her secret, and these wicked men knew her true name!

Her eyes ran with blue tears that trailed down the sides of her face. She now understood the true depth of her fate and the terrible future that awaited her. She would forever be bound to these cruel rodents who would hand the secret of her name down for generations. They would torment her like this and worse for another thousand years or more. She tried to thrash her head as the need to sob finally came. She was held motionless by the chains as her self-pity overwhelmed her solus. She was a fool to have trusted Gersius and believed his kind were anything but the worthless vermin she saw them as. Now she was even less than them, and they would remind her every day how worthless she was.

“Bring him out!” the Father Abbot called in a loud voice.

Lilly snapped back into focus, her pity falling away. She was so lost in pain that she hadn't been paying attention to what the wicked man was saying. Now he was calling for somebody to be brought out, and Lilly knew who it was. Her heart burned as she waited to see the face of her hatred, the man known as Gersius.

The world was one long tunnel of darkness interspersed with flickers of red light. Everything seemed sluggish and muted as if submerged underwater. He was only vaguely aware that he was moving but had no concept of how. Perhaps he was drifting as his body floated down the river where they had dumped it, or maybe this was how death felt. The tunnel of darkness suddenly became clouded by light. He was somewhere else, but he had no concept of where that was. Slowly, his senses returned, and he became aware that he was being dragged. His feet scraped over the stone, and broken bones rattled in his chest as two men held his arms.

He couldn't remember when the beating stopped but was sure it had gone on all night. All he could recall was the question they asked over and over. What is the dragon's name? Each time he answered them and insisted her name was Lilly. They tired of the game and took up a metal rod introducing him to the pain of broken ribs. Every time he said the name Lilly they broke another until he ran out of bones. Then they did the unthinkable and called on the god of mercy to heal him so they could start again. The breaking went on for hours, and they grew more sadistic. When they were forced to heal him again, they decided not to heal him fully. They left him sore and in pain as the process began again, amplifying the suffering as best they could. When breaking ribs didn't yield the name, they resorted to burning his flesh with hot irons. It was a pain so mind-numbing that he cried out like a frightened child, pleading with Astikar to rescue him. Still, despite it all, her name was Lilly.

Eventually, they gave up on the name and decided to beat him simply to make him suffer. They left his ribs broken, and his flesh burned as he hung like a rack of meat in a butcher's shop. Finally, he blacked out only to awaken to the tunnel of darkness that was slowly filling with light.

The scent of the air changed, and no longer could he smell the smoke of fires or the mold of damp stone. He was outside where the city's scents carried on a gentle breeze. He found little solace in his new location as the act of dragging him made his broken ribs grind. He struggled to open his eyes, but they were nearly swollen shut from the beating. He saw a brief glimpse of a gate before his vision clouded over and became a blur once again.

There was a sound like rushing wind or the roaring of a great fire. It seemed to grow and come from all directions as his feet left a bloody trail. A shadow passed over his tunnel, shrouding him in darkness for just a moment. He knew he must have passed through that gate, and the sound of the roaring suddenly grew louder. Struggling to open his eyes, he was able to see two wooden posts driven into white stone with a blue beyond.

Suddenly he wasn't moving anymore, and the support of his arms fell away. He would have fallen with them if not for rough hands that grabbed at his hair and neck, struggling to hold him up as somebody grabbed at his wrists. He could feel something biting at the skin as his arms were lashed to the posts, so he hung between them, his legs crumpling as his shoulders ached.

The roar was deafening now, and he struggled to lift his weary head. His vision cleared once again, and he was able to see an ocean of moving forms. It was hundreds or perhaps thousands of people, bouncing and jostling in a great multitude. They were the source of the roar that deafened his senses and reverberated in his soul. Struggling to look around, he turned his head to the left and saw something that made his suffering renew. The sight of her brought his mind into focus as his hands twitched and began to curl. He tried to get a leg underneath to steady himself as his rage exploded inside.

Lilly was chained in the corner with a wooden post tied in her mouth like a horse's bit. Her arms were pulled up and wide, forcing her to stand on her back legs and be properly displayed. Seeing her like that brought back the words he promised her those days ago. He remembered how frightened she was that this would be her fate. He vowed then and there that this would never happen to her, and yet here she was. Tears came to his eyes to see just how badly he’d failed her. He wished she had killed him in the valley that day rather than see her like this.

He was so lost in his pity for Lilly that he hadn't even noticed the crowd went silent. The Father Abbot was nearby, addressing the people in a loud commanding voice. He stepped between Gersius and Lilly, blocking his sight to her as he leered down on the broken man.

“Gersius!” he called as if to wake him from slumber. “You have been found guilty of dereliction of duty. You abandoned your order and your faith to pursue your own wicked goals. As if this crime wasn't enough, you murdered the thirty young recruits I entrusted to your care.” The Father Abbot paused and looked away as if this were a profoundly emotional moment for him. He took a moment to regain his composure and pointed a finger at Lilly. “You then led that beast to the fair city of Whiteford to attack it and its good people.”

The crowd exploded into jeers and calls of traitor. The Father Abbot let them yell for a few minutes, feigning that he needed time to recover. He was putting on a show for the crowd and wanted the people to see that he personally felt the shame of these crimes. When he was ready, he waved them to silence and turned back to Gersius.

“I knew something was wrong in the way you made your hostile demands. I suspected treachery, so I followed you and, by the grace of Astikar, found you before you could enact your terrible plan. Thankfully I brought a true hero with me, and armed with Astikars true power, the brave brother Dellain stopped you.”

The crowd exploded in cheers again, only this time they were for Dellain. Gersius heard the people praising Dellain’s name and calling out to the divines to bless him. The Father Abbot let them go for a moment before calling them to silence once more.

“Despite your treachery, I knew something good could still be salvaged from this terrible fall. As is the will of the god of mercy, I gave you a chance to redeem yourself. I pleaded with you to turn the dragon over to us and allow us to use it in the terrible war with the Doan. Hundreds of thousands of lives could be saved by this act of redemption, but you stubbornly refused. I humbled myself for the good of the people and begged you to tell me the dragon's true name. You refused against all reason to tell us the dragon's true name. Well, look now!” the Father Abbot yelled and stepped aside so he could see Lilly. “Look, Gersius! Your evil ways have been in vain because you have both been defeated!”

The Father Abbot threw up his arms in a flourish as the crowd went wild with cheers. Their voices echoed from the walls and became a deafening rumble. It went on for far longer than it had before, but when at last it quieted, the Father Abbot approached. His face was smug and full of satisfaction as his eyes fixated on the crippled man.

“Gersius, you are hereby stripped of your rank as Knight-Captain. You are stripped of your title as a brother to the priests of Astikar. You are cast out of our order and will face the punishment for your betrayal. You will suffer the right of punishment and condemnation as befits your crimes not only against Astikar but the people you intended to kill here!” The Father Abbot made no effort to stop the crowd from cheering this time. He stood by as a few people threw stones and cursed Gersius's name. They called him the traitor of Astikar and the would-be butcher of Whiteford.

Lilly seethed with primordial anger like the fiery birth of a volcano. She set her gaze on the open gates, waiting to see the liar brought out to receive his accolades. Three men came through the gate, but only two were walking. The one in the center was limp, his feet dragging on the ground as the other two pulled him along. Even from where she stood, she could smell blood and burnt flesh, and her sharp eyes saw the patchwork of bruises and bleeding wounds. This broken shell had to be supported as another man tied his limp arms to two posts. He was allowed to fall, supported by his wrists, to hang before the gathered crowd like an object of scorn.

Something stirred inside a sensation of remorse as this tormented being turned its head and looked her way. Lilly felt a sadness that was not her own, coming from the suffering form that began to cry as it saw her. She could not believe what she saw. This terrible dying being was Gersius! How had this happened? Why was he so severely injured? Where were his reward and accolades for luring her into captivity?

The wicked man began to speak, and Lilly started to understand the truth. The man known as the Father Abbot lied about Gersius, calling him a traitor and a murderer. He accused them of coming to the city to attack it but then claimed he and Dellain had come to rescue it. He boasted the Dellain had defeated them both as a hero of Astikar. The lies made Lilly shake with rage, but then the Father Abbot said something that made her world go upside down. He claimed to have begged Gersius to tell him her true name, but Gersius refused!

There was a wave of tearful relief to know these monsters didn't have her name. It all started to make sense, and she realized why Gersius was in such a state. He refused to tell the head of his order her name, and they tried to beat it out of him. He hadn't lied or betrayed his promise. He was doing just as he said he would, dying before giving away her secret. It was the second time he was willing to lose his life to protect hers, and inside, something new began to boil to the surface.

Memory flooded in like a dream as she relived the moment in but a heartbeat. “I will never reveal your name to another. I will never utter your true name where any other can hear it.” Lilly couldn’t believe he was going to die to keep that promise. Why would a rodent die to protect a dragon?

The wicked man went on to condemn Gersius and strip him of his titles. Lilly looked on with a sorrow unlike any she had ever known. This human was about to die, and somehow it felt like a part of her would die with him. The rage came back, boiling to new heights as her vision narrowed. For a brief moment, she wondered why the men Gersius called brothers were doing this but then realized she no longer cared. Defiant, she bit down on the post in her mouth, determined to bite through it. She pulled with all her might on the chains causing them to shake as the magic fought to contain her. Anger quickly flared to hopelessness as they held fast, defying all efforts to get free. All she could do was groan out a weak cry for Gersius as tears started to pool at her feet.

Gersius gained more and more focus as his anger over Lilly built. He'd failed to protect her and was responsible for leading her into captivity. He had no idea why the Father Abbot and his brothers had turned against him, but he wasted little thought on it. He would gladly fight his entire order and die a hundred deaths if it meant protecting Lilly. His vision cleared in the rage, allowing him to see the pain that wracked her face as great blue streams flowed from her eyes. She was suffering every humiliation that ever haunted her nightmares, and it was all his fault. He tried to look inward and pray to Astikar for mercy, not for himself, but for Lilly. It was an act of desperation, but as if by a miracle, the prayer was answered.

“Silence,” the Father Abbot called out to bring the crowd to order. He waited for the people to calm them moved to stand before Gersius. “Though you don't deserve it, I am a man of mercy, and I will give you one last chance to do what is right.” He paused for dramatic effect as the crowd hung on his every word. Finally, he reached out and uttered a slight prayer, healing Gersius's jaw so that he might speak. “Now, show these people that you have repented of your evil ways and go into Astikar's judgment with one less sin on your head. I ask you one final time. What is the dragon's true name?”

The crowd was utterly silent as every eye watched what was unfolding. Gersius couldn’t believe his luck and struggled to take a deep breath. As air filled his lungs, the ribs around them cracked and popped, flooding him with pain. He pushed on, ignoring the suffering, knowing that this was his one and only chance. He needed to make sure that what he had to say was loud, clear, and in a commanding voice.

“Lilly!” he shouted, his voice echoing from the walls. “I release you from my command!”

The scene returned to silence as Gersius fell limp between the posts. The Father Abbot looked confused and turned to the other soldiers gathered behind him. It was only when the crowd began to cry out and scream warnings of “look at the dragon!” that he turned to Lilly.

Blue eyes burned with a hateful fire as a white mist crawled across Lilly's skin. Gersius's command that she stay in her dragon form was part of what was holding her bound. She was free of that shackle and now would find out if these chains would fit around a human wrist. In seconds the mist was a cloud, then suddenly it expanded and became a swirling mass of white. It roared like blowing wind and obscured her from leaving only the chains to indicate she was inside. There was a flash of light, and the chains shook before falling away like straw in the wind. People gasped and pointed as the white cloud began to swirl with renewed energy, growing thicker and denser. It rolled like a thundercloud, turning in on itself before flashing with what looked like lightning.

Though every breath hurt him, Gersius began to laugh.

“What have you done?” the Father Abbot yelled with a raised fist.

Straining to lift his head, Gersius met the old man’s gaze with a look of utter defiance and coldly replied. “I have released death.”

A man of the raven guard assigned to Lilly's chains dared to venture close to the cloud. He drew his sword and peered into the mist, bravely trying to ascertain what had happened to the dragon. A huge scaled claw burst from the cloud, wrapping around him and dragging him in. A moment later, there was a scream followed by the two halves of his body, torn at the waist, being cast against the nearby wall. The dozen men who remained stepped back with weapons raised when a blast of ice and snow exploded from the cloud. It swept the area just before it, turning men into statues of ice in the blink of an eye. Gersius threw his head back and resumed his painful laughter as Azurastra charged out of the cloud, her eyes blazing with murder.

The scene became one of fear and panic as the air filled with the screams of thousands. The gathered masses ran in panic as the dragon rampaged across the upper yard. Thirty men were dead in what seemed like seconds, and those who remained were stumbling about in shock. The Father Abbot was quick to regain his wits and darted to the gates while ordering the men nearby to stop the dragon.

Lilly was like an avalanche of teeth and claws, rending men into pieces as she savored the taste of their blood. Some she crushed. Some she tossed; others were bitten or torn in two. She delighted in throwing the lifeless bodies into the fleeing crowd to teach them not to laugh at a dragon! They ran at her in small groups, foolishly waving swords in her face. She slaughtered them easily, willing to take small stabs and cuts if it meant ending the life of a rodent. The walls were splattered with blood, and it ran down the steps to the lower yard as men screamed for help. Lilly went wild with savagery, showing the fools that dared to chain her no mercy. It was only when an orange flash raced across the yard that she came to her senses.

The hammer of Astikar struck home, and even through her thick hide, she felt the impact. It caused a sore pain in her side but only served to make her angrier. It reminded her that priests had caused this terrible shame, and her hunger for revenge blinded her to the pain. She turned to see three more of the men of Astikar reaching out as more hammers formed in their hands. She wasted not an instant, opening her mouth and releasing a torrent of white death. She froze all three in place and then lashed at them with a mighty swipe, shattering them like glass.

Soldiers poured out of the gates and began to arrive with long spears. She found their reach aggravating but compensated by using their dead as weapons. She threw bodies into their formations and used others as clubs, swiping the spears aside before lunging into their midst. Her plan was working until more orange lights streaked the sky. One of them struck her on the head, causing her to stumble from the shock of it.

Reeling, she turned to see the hated Dellain with a wicked smile on his face. He was leading a group of over twenty priests with red birds heads. There was a risk of using her breath too many times in too short a period, but Lilly wanted this man dead. She roared with hatred and loosed a cone of freezing death, coating the group of men. When she closed her mouth, a hail of orange hammers came racing back, striking her so abundantly that she nearly toppled.

As the frost cloud cleared, she saw the hated man laughing as he stood behind a wall of his brothers. They had their arms up, channeling the power of their god into a wall of orange light. Her breath hadn't breached it, and now they are preparing to advance. A sharp pain suddenly flooded her leg as a spear pierced her flesh. Lilly lashed her long neck around and clamped her jaws on the foolish soldier that had attacked her from behind. With a mighty toss of her head, she threw him into the air, trailing blood as he soared over rooftops.

An orange hammer exploded on the side of her head, and Lilly stumbled. She glanced to the right to see it was Dellain himself who was punishing her. She hated the man and wanted more than anything to see him dead, but she was a fool no more. It was clear the shock of surprise was over, and the rodents were mounting an organized defense. So long as Dellain was protected by so many of his brothers, she would never be able to lay a hand on him. The situation had turned, and now they were becoming a deadly threat. Her only option was to flee, escape the city, and run as fast as she could. As Lilly turned to dash into the yard, her gaze fell on the ragged form suspended between two posts.

“Gersius!” she cried and raced to his limp form.

“Lilly,” he wheezed while trying to lift his head to look at her. “Lilly, You must go!”

Lilly towered over him as he pleaded for her to run. Every instinct told her to go, but something inside twisted and turned. Somehow leaving him here felt like dying, and she couldn't bring herself to go.

“I am not leaving here without you!” she growled and grabbed hold of one of the posts. An orange light raced across the yard, slamming into a shoulder as her scales cracked and bled. It was followed by two more that added to her mounting injuries. She wanted to use her claws to cut the leather straps but was afraid she might cut him.

“Lilly!” he struggled to yell. “You will never free me in time. Please, I beg you, go!”

Lilly's eyes flared white with rage as she thought of losing him. Strong hands wrapped around each post, and with dragon strength, she squeezed. Blue scales shattered as orange lights pummeled her body, but Lilly held on. There was a tremendous snapping noise as the wood began to fissure and crack.

“Aim for the head!” Dellain shouted as she poured all her rage into her grasp.

The posts exploded in a cloud of fragments and splinters as Lilly twisted them apart. Gersius went to tumble, but she quickly caught him up and cradled him in one arm.

“Was that fast enough?” she asked as her slender form burst into motion. She bolted down the steps on three limbs and tore across the lower courtyard, trampling people who got in her way.

“Get to the horses and go after it!” Dellain shouted as Lilly raced down a street.

Gersius's world was one of pain. Though Lilly was trying to carry him to safety, her rapid pace rattled his broken body. She was running at a terrible speed, recklessly charging through her city. Though she did her best to cushion him, his body was taking a horrific battering. He struggled to look about, wondering how Lilly was running with broken wings. He wondered if his brothers had healed her before dragging her back as a prisoner. The thought didn't last long as Lilly slipped and slammed into a building, jarring him so violently that he blacked out.

The city was the scene of chaos as people ran screaming in all directions. Lilly paid them no attention, trampling many as she tried to navigate the narrow streets at a full run. The street gave way easily to her claws rendering the surface slippery and unstable. She crushed wagons, carts, and the horses that drew them in her mad dash to getaway. In some places, the buildings had awnings or porches that she tore away in her passing.

Her fear mounted as the city seemed to twist on endlessly with no pattern. She was lost and running blind down streets at random, hoping to find some escape. Just as she thought a road would carry her away, it ended or turned. Sometimes it became too narrow to pass, forcing her to double back or turn toward the plaza she was fleeing.

“This hive is like a maze!” she cried and glanced to the suffering man cradled in her arms. “How do you rodents find your way?” Gersius didn't reply and the moment spent looking away caused her to slip. She slammed into a building, caving the front wall in as she had another idea. Lilly gave up trying to find her way and scaled the house instead. The buildings groaned, and roofs collapsed as the dragon clambered on top. From here, she could see the city walls and decided that a straight line was the best path.

She clawed her way across the rooftops, smashing homes and shops in her passing. Timber and plaster rained down into the streets as she crawled ever closer to the walls. When she finally found a street that went straight to them, she dared to climb down and pressed on. The walls loomed ahead but presented a new challenge for the frightened dragon. They were easily forty feet high and would be impossible to cross without her wings. She would have to use the gate, but it was shut, and ten men in metal armor barred her way. Each of them held an extremely long spear that ended in a sharp blade. They were ready and waiting as Lilly slowed to a crawl.

“I am going to have to put you down a moment,” she said to the limp body slung over her arm. “Please, hold on. I just need some time to remove these fools from our path.”

Thayle, Tavis, and Ayawa crept through the shadows of the abandoned town as they slowly approached the gates. They tested a few doors to discover they were locked. Shutters sealed most windows, and the merchants took time to cover market stalls with blankets. It left behind an eerie space that felt like it had been full of people moments before.

The sun was on its trip down the sky, and the shadows were lengthening. Ayawa said she heard more bells followed by a distant roar that faded away. As they got closer, Thayle began to hear the sound as well, like the chorus of a thousand voices, faint and distant. They kept off the main road, using allies and side streets to move ever closer to the city gates. When they finally came into view, Ayawa scouted them from the corner of a building and returned with the news.

“There are ten men at the gate. Two of them appear to be priests of Astikar. The rest are city watch armed with polearms,” she said and paced in annoyance. “The gates are closed and barred.”

“Why would they be closed?” Tavis asked.

“How should I know?” Ayawa retorted in irritation and looked at Thayle. “Are they typically so heavily guarded?”

“I should say not,” Thayle replied. “I have never seen more than four men, and these are typically armed with swords.”

“So they have sealed the city and tripled the guard,” Tavis surmised. “They might still let somebody in using the wicket gate, but as I said before, they will recognize us for sure.”

“They won't recognize me,” Thayle said, standing up. “Well, the city guards might, but I come here all the time. They will assume I am here to buy more goods for the temple and nothing more. Those priests of Astikar won't have any reason to suspect I am here about Gerisus.”

“She has a point,” Tavis said with a nod of his head. “They won’t have any idea she is anything but the local country priestess of Ulustrah. They might let her in, or at the very least, tell her why the gates are closed.”

Ayawa nodded as she looked into Thayle’s eyes. “You’re right. What we need right now is more information. See if you can get them to tell you why the gates are closed and what is going on inside the city.”

Thayle steadied herself to step out when there was a thunderous bang followed by screams and thumps. They peaked around the corner to see dust falling from the gates and the stonework around them.

“What in the merciful mother was that?” Ayawa asked as they watched in surprise.

The gates rattled again as the guards faced them with poles leveled. Slowly they backed away as the sounds inside the gate ceased.

“What are they doing?” Tavis asked in a whisper.

“Quiet,” Ayawa whispered back as the men continued to move away from the gates.

“Are those gates turning white?” Thayle asked in alarm.

All three of them looked on in wonder as the dark wood gates began to fade. They were rapidly turning white as what appeared to be frost spread over their surface. The guards tensed and took a brave stance as the wood began to split and crack.

“It looks like ice,” Tavis said, not believing what he was seeing.

Thayle realized in a heartbeat what that meant and looked to the others with a start.

“It must be her!” she shouted. “I must be Lilly!”

The guards turned at her sudden shout just as the gates exploded in a shower of wood and ice. Glowing blue eyes that burned with fire and hatred raced through the gates before the men could recover.

They watched in shock as a dragon with sky blue scales tore into the men like a wild animal. Her long muscular arms ended in deadly claws that cut through armor like paper. Her long serpent-like neck ended in jaws full of blood-soaked teeth. She shredded the men in seconds, seeming to savor the brutality of it.

“That must be Gersius's dragon,” Tavis said in a staggering voice.

“He must have lost control. It is attacking the city,” Ayawa replied as she took her bow in hand. They watched as the dragon cast the last lifeless body aside and then strangely darted back into the city.

“Why would it run back inside?” Tavis asked, not believing his eyes.

The dragon returned a moment later, barreling through the shattered gate while carrying something in one arm.

“It’s going to pass right by us!” Tavis shouted as the best raced down the road.

“Wait until it's alongside us, then hit it with a bolt of Daghost,” Ayawa instructed as she readied an arrow. “I will shoot for its eyes and take out the beast's sight.”

“No!” Thayle cried as the two moved to execute the plan. “Something must have happened. Lilly isn't like this!”

“I thought you said you never saw the dragon,” Ayawa barked as her eyes narrowed on Thayle.

“I didn't see her, well, not the real dragon. But, please! You have to trust me,” Thayle begged.

“I don’t trust liars,” Ayawqa shouted and began to draw her bow.

Thayle felt her heart racing as the time to act drew to a close. She looked upon the dragon and tried to remember the gentlewoman who liked to dance. Ayawa leveled her bow to take aim as Tavis began a tone for his weave. It was now or never, and Thayle trembled as she did the only thing she could think to do. She ran into the street and rushed toward the charging dragon.

“What are you doing?” Tavis called, but it was too late.

“That woman has a death wish!” Ayawa added.

Thayle didn’t look back as her gaze fixated on the bloody terror that was rapidly approaching. She ran headlong into that doom, casting her shield and weapon aside.

Lilly saw the rodent in green armor running down the street at her. She briefly considered how brave it was before deciding she would trample it. Then the rodent did something odd and threw its weapon and shield away. Lilly took a second look as the little creature threw up its arms and screamed out her name. She ground her feet into the mud, sliding to a halt with her head just a few steps from the trembling woman.

“Lilly! It’s me! It’s Thayle!” the woman cried.

Lilly saw the dark hair and angled eyes of the priestess from the little town. Tears welled up in her eyes as her heart leaped for joy. Thayle was a priestess who could heal, and right now, Gersius needed her help.

“Thayle!” Lilly called in joy as blue drops fell from her face. “You must help me; Gersius is hurt!” She shifted and held out the battered form she had been cradling in her arms for Thayle to see.

“Dear merciful Ulustrah,” Thayle gasped when she saw the ravaged blood-soaked wretch lying unconscious over Lilly's arm. He looked like a corpse left for the crows, and his aura was already barely detectable as his life faded.

“Mercy is not something that his brothers understand,” Lilly said as she laid him in the road.

Thayle fell at his side, unable to believe he was still alive. He was bruised everywhere and burned in places. The jagged edges of broken ribs grotesquely poked through his sides. His eyes were swollen shut and his wrists bound in leather straps. He looked as if somebody had staked him over afire and then stampeded a hundred horses over him.

“How did this happen?” Thayle gasped.

“This was his reward,” Lilly replied. “Please, You must heal him!”

“He is so badly injured, and my order isn't gifted in healing,” Thayle muttered. “I can men a little, but I will never be able to manage this.”

“You must do something,” Lilly pleaded.

“If I try to heal him here, I will run out of power long before I could save him,” Thayle replied and looked up at Lilly. “We have to get him back to my temple. I have holy water and healing salves blessed by Ulustrah. If I use these as part of the healing, I am sure I could do much more.”

“Then I will carry him,” Lilly replied and reached to pick him up.

“No!” Thayle cried and stood in the way. “His ribs are broken, and he is bleeding internally. You will only aggravate the wounds by carrying him.”

“You cannot carry him, priestess. He is too heavy for you,” Lilly argued.

“Too heavy!” Tayle cried as an idea formed. “Tavis!” she yelled and turned about to see Tavis and Ayawa slowly crawl out from behind a building. The two looked at Lilly cautiously while Ayawa held her bow, ready to draw and fire.

Lilly growled with a frightening rumble; her blood-soaked teeth bared as the two stood ready to attack.

“Lilly, no!” Thayle shouted and stood in her way again. “They are friends of Gersius.”

“Many of Gersius's so-called friends have done nothing but inflict pain and suffering,” she growled in a voice that sounded like two speaking.

“Please, Lilly,” Thayle begged. “You remember the letter he wrote? These are the people he sent it to. They came because he called them for help.” Thayle swallowed as Lilly relaxed and looked down at her. She felt tiny compared to the scaled beast of violence that glared with fiery blue eyes. Her blood ran cold as Lilly exhaled a cloud of frost and mist as if trying to decide to believe her.

“Please. They can help me get him to the temple safely. I need them,” Thayle begged.

Lilly stepped back, and Thayle trembled in relief. She turned to the others and quickly commanded Ayawa to put her bow away. The southern woman hesitated but slowly dropped her arm as Lilly glared, ready to attack.

“Tavis, I need your help, hurry,” Thayle urged.

Tavis fought the gnawing fear and ran forward despite the deep desire to run the other way. He never took his eyes off of Lilly until he finally reached Thayle. When he looked down, he wished he hadn't because the threatening glare of a dragon was more pleasant than the sight of Gersius.

“By the divines,” he muttered and dropped to his knees.

“We have to get him to my temple quickly. How light can you make him?” Thayle demanded.

Tavis stumbled on his words and glanced at the dragon leering from a few paces away.

“I. I. I suppose I can cancel most of his weight. He would be no heavier than a house cat.”

“Good, then we just need something to lay him on,” Thayle said and began to look around.

Lilly suddenly moved, reaching with a massive hand to claw at a nearby building. With a loud crunch, she tore the wooden door from the stonework like it was a toy.

“Will this do?” she asked as she laid it beside Gersius.

“That will do fine,” Thayle said and went to lift Gerisus onto the door. When Tavis didn't' move, Thayle looked over to see his eyes locked on Lilly as he stood motionless. “Tavis,” she barked, breaking the man from his paralyzing fear.

“Right,” he replied and immediately helped get Gersius on the door. Once in place, Tavis began the dance of fingers for the weave they would need. He took up the low tone, carrying it higher and louder than before. His hands traveled in broader strokes, weaving a much larger pattern.

Thayle could see he was collecting more energy as his aura began to twist and contort. She bent over Gersius and dared a small prayer of mending to buy them some time to get him to the temple. Tavis began to swing his arms wide, blue light trailing behind his hands. He reached down and grabbed the door, the light flowing into it and Gersius.

“The weave is done. I have made him and the door as light as I can,” he said while backing away.

“Then pick him up and go,” Lilly urged. “We have little time. The black ones are pursuing me!”

Thayle didn’t know who the black ones were but took the warning to heart. She threw her shield and weapon on the door with Gersius and lifted one end. She was grateful to discover that he was no heavier than a bundle of grain.

Quickly. Grab the other end and let's run back to the temple,” Thayle commanded. Tavis nodded and grabbed the other end as the two began to hurry off.

“I will meet you there,” Lilly called and turned about.

“What?” Thayle replied and turned about. “Where are you going?”

“I hid my coins in a barn nearby. I am going back to get them,” she replied.

“Lilly, we don't' have time for this!” Thayle shouted, but Lilly thundered off, tearing the corner off a house as she rounded it.

“I will meet you there, priestess!” Lilly shouted as she ran down the street.

“If somebody is pursuing her, then we need to go before we are seen,” Tavis said.

Ayawa came to the door and looked down at the broken man it bore. She frowned profoundly but quickly gathered her wits and took a look about.

“The dragon is leaving a trail any fool could follow. If we run now, they may not notice us while they follow her path.”

Thayle nodded and started to run, with Tavis leading the way. Ayawa ran beside them, stealing pained glances at the man who lay unconscious. She dared to touch his hand as they reached the trees and struggled to keep her resolve as they raced down the road. When they finally arrived in Pinehollow, they abandoned all effort to be discreet and rushed directly to the temple.

“Quickly, put him here,” Thayle instructed as they laid the door before the temple. She ran inside and returned a moment later with a large metal pitcher and a small ceramic jar.

“How can we help?” Tavis asked as he squatted beside her.

“You can't,” Thayle replied and quickly set her items down. She bowed her head and prayed to Ulustrah, begging the goddess to grant this favor. She would use blessed water meant to heal crops on Gersius, hoping it would boost her meager skills. With the prayer complete, she slowly poured the water over his tortured skin, pausing to tip a little down his throat. The water made a sizzling noise as it washed over wounds, tinting the skin green with a faint light.

“What does that do?” Ayawa asked when they noted the strange color.

“My healing isn't like the priests of Astikar or Vellis,” Thayle replied. “Mine is tied to nature, and like nature, it takes time. I don't heal a wound as much as I encourage the body to heal it itself.”

“But you can heal directly? Right?” Ayawa asked in alarm.

“I can, but it is the most strenuous form of healing for order. I don't doubt that Gersius could heal most of this in a few moments, but I will be lucky to stop the internal bleeding. I am using the water and salve to try and help the healing so I can go beyond what my otherwise be my limits.”

Ayawa nodded as Thale reached for the ceramic jar. She peeled back a wax lid to reveal a thick waxy paste into which she dipped two fingers. She quickly rubbed the paste over the burns and bruises, paying particular attention to holes and the swelling around his eyes.

“I normally use this to treat minor cuts and bug bites,” she said as she worked. “It's made from the blessed water of my goddess and herbs that promote healing. It should help concentrate the healing on the worst of the wounds.” When the task was done, she took a moment to look over the battered man. He was washed in holy water and oiled with healing paste; there was only one thing left to do. With folded hands, she uttered a prayer and then put those hands to his chest as she began to sing.

Focused on the healing as she was, his condition became more apparent. She paused in her song to relay information as the magic revealed the scope of his injuries.

“Some of these wounds are already too old for me to heal,” she said as her power flowed.

“Please, priestess. You must try. Gersius can’t die like this,” Tavis pleaded.

“I can feel the magnitude of his injuries,” Thayle cried. “His body is broken like an egg that has been trampled by a horse.” She paused a moment as the golden glow spread across his skin, then gasped with a cry of, “Monsters!”

“What is it?” Tavis asked.

“Some of these wounds are layered. They must have been beating and then healing him so they could beat him again. They made him suffer injuries like this over and over,” she answered.

Tavis looked at Ayawa, who had a look of murder in her usually stern eyes. She paced angrily and asked how those beasts could be followers of a God of mercy.

Thayle resumed her song and pressed on healing. The open holes where his ribs poked through were gone, and some of the bruising with it. Still, she could feel his need for more even as her muscles began to ache. She felt the dull sense of pain start to crawl across her skin as she channeled beyond her means.

“Ulustrah, please!” she begged as she pushed beyond the point of safety. Unfortunately, her order wasn't known for healing, and she would only be able to restore a fraction of his health. Still, she pushed on, desperate to make that fraction count. If she could stabilize him, the healing salve would have time to do its work.

Her body began to fight back, muscles twitching as her bones felt like they were on fire. A drop of blood fell from her nose, quickly followed by several more as she traded her health for his.

“Priestess?” Tavis cried in alarm as Thayle began to waiver.

Thayle started to cry out in pain but pressed on until, at last, she could stand no more. She fell away with hands shaking and was caught by Ayawa.

“You have done all you can, priestess,” Ayawa said in a worried tone as she held Thayles twitching form. “You have done all you can.”

“Now we wait and see if the fatal injuries are healed and let the nonfatal ones heal on their own,” Tavis said as he looked at the man who still looked beaten. He removed his hat and nervously began to turn it slowly in his hands.

Ayawa helped Thayle sit up and braced her against the wall. She took a final look at Gersius and turned for the door.

“I will go find the dragon,” she said. “You stay here and guard these two with your life. The priestess has overspent her power and won’t be able to defend herself.”

“I doubt there will be any trouble. Nobody knows we are here,” Tavis pointed out.

“We just ran through that town like a bunch of mad fools. Every person on the street saw us,” Ayawa pointed out. “If they run down the dragon and it doesn't have Gersius, they will search for him. If they send a patrol here, those people will tell them what they saw and send them right to the temple.”

Tavis nodded in understanding. They might not be safe after all.

“I will bring the dragon close and hide it in one of the farms where no one will see it. I might need some time to double back and cover its tracks,” Ayawa added.

Tavis nodded and assured her he would keep them safe. He planned to bring them both inside and use his magic to defend the narrow doorway if needs be. Ayawa stepped close and took his hand to hold it over her heart.

“Be safe, my love,” she said and then, without another word, ran like the wind for the road to Whiteford.

Tavis watched her go for just a moment, then turned to Thayle with a funny look.

“So, the dragon’s name is Lilly?


The sun was low in the sky when Lilly reached the barn where she had hidden the packs. With little regard, she smashed through a fence and snapped a tree to begin digging at the barn's roof. Peeling the thatch away, she opened a hole to the rafters that supported the roof. The packs were right where she left them, hidden high up, where only a dragon could reach. Grabbing them both, she slung them over one arm and made ready to run back when a sound caught her attention. It was a group of horses coming down the road carrying with them the man she hated most.

“There!” Dellain shouted to the host of priests that charged down the road.

Lilly lunged over the barn and tore off across the back fields scattering fences and animals in her wake. She cared little for anything but her escape and barreled through obstacles instead of going around. At least the loss of her wings allowed her to run and put her long legs to use. However, she hadn't escaped the city unharmed, and a shooting pain in her leg reminded her of the spear. The wound was deep into the muscle, and it hurt with every step. She also ached from the repeated magical hammers that left patches of scales bare and bleeding. Her body was battered and fading. She would need to rest soon and have a good long sleep. She glanced back and saw them charging after her, easily following the path she was clearing through the countryside.

“I need my wings!” she cried as she longed to take to the sky. Cresting the top of the hill, she had a sudden burst of inspiration. Dashing to the bottom, she took a deep breath and coated the slope with ice before running on. When the lead horses came over, they slipped on the icy surface and tumbled down the slope. She laughed to see a half dozen of the priests toppled in her trap.

Dellain managed to stop his horse in time and led the remaining men around the icy patch. Lilly ran on, tearing across the open ground and racing for the trees in the distance. If she could reach the trees, she might be able to escape. She could topple them behind her and create an impassible barrier for the horses. She glanced over her back to see the men were still in pursuit and gaining on her. She knew she was faster than a horse, but the injuries were slowing her down.

Lilly struggled to remain calm, her gaze fixated on the trees. She began to regret her decision to not go with the others and wondered if her greed had doomed her. For the sake of a small pile of coins, she might very well be caught again. She doubted they would allow her to escape a second time if they allowed her to live at all. Terrified, she wished Gersius were here to protect her and tell her what to do.

The trees were growing closer, but the pain in her leg was intensifying. She realized the spear point was broken off in her leg. Now every step was making the wound worse and slowing her down. The pain was becoming intolerable, but her fear drove her on. She ran past a tall pine tree and reached out a massive arm. She pulled it over, toppling it behind her with a crash to throw off the pursuing horses. She heard men curse and shout s they were forced to go around it and realized they must be close.

An orange flash sailed over her head as another struck her back. They were close enough to strike at her and would quickly multiply her wounds. There was no way she was going to reach the trees with them pummeling her the whole way. In a panic, she whipped around in a wild attack, breathing a cone of freezing ice in a wide arc. Two riders fell from horses as the animals partially froze. Three others were forced to veer off or face the same fate. Still, many more went around and kept coming: the hated Dellain among them. There were too many to fight, and her strength was waning, but she was never going to reach the trees.

She lunged, diving into the largest pack, hoping the surprise would throw them off. The trained men simply veered away and struck out with the weapons they had to hand. A sword glanced off one leg, but a spear caught her in the shoulder. She roared in pain and stumbled away, grasping at the offending weapon. Careful to ensure she had the tip this time, she tore it away and dashed off in a stagger to reach the trees. The riders were scattered, but they would quickly recover and be on her tail.

Four of them were already coming in fast; long spears leveled to skewer her. A stranger zipping noise went past Lilly's head, and one of the horses stumbled, topping its rider. She leaped over a rock, but the strain aggravated the wounds and caused her to stumble. She heard a second strange noise, and another horse went down, leaving only two men in pursuit.

Lilly ran for a second pine tree and, this time, stopped to grab it with both hands. She tore it from the ground and swung it like a club battering the two remaining horses and throwing their riders into the dirt. Unfortunately, her victory was short-lived as a dozen more remained, and they were closing on her rapidly. She dropped the weapon and lurched off, crying out in pain as her wounds began to catch up to her.

“Close in! The beast is wearing down!” Dellain shouted, spurring her on in fear.

There was a sudden chain of whistling sounds as horses screamed and men fell for no apparent reason.

“Arrows!” a man shouted from someplace behind, but Lilly never looked back.

“It's the red wench!” Deallin shouted as he tried to keep his men moving. Another arrow caught his horse in the shoulder, causing the animal to rear up and throw him from the saddle.

“Keep running!” Lilly heard a woman say from somewhere unseen. She struggled to push forward, stumbling the last few steps into the safety of the trees.

Dellain's men regrouped with shields raised as he picked himself off the ground. With an angry glare, he scanned the distant tree line to see the dragon smash into the growth.

“My lord, do we pursue?” asked one of the riders who waited nearby.

Dellain watched as Lilly vanished into the forest and weighed his options. The dragon was hurt, slowing, and leaving a trail a blind man could follow. The real danger now was that Ayawa was here somewhere, and her marksmanship was legendary.

“Mathius!” Dellain shouted as he went to his horse to get his shield. “Gather the men who can still walk and dismount. We will go after it on foot with shields raised.”

“Yes, My Lord, but what about the archer?” Mathius asked.

“The wench can fire for the horses, but she can't breach our shields. We move in a column formation and be ready to deal with weaves,” he replied as he strapped the shield to his arm. He knew that if Ayawa was here, Tavis was certain to be nearby. He was a weaver of modest ability, but rumor had it he was far more powerful than he let on. There was a story of a whole town being destroyed in a firestorm and the weaver in a black hat who cackled as it burned.

“And how do we catch the dragon without horses?” Mathius asked.

“The dragon is wounded and slowing down. It won’t go another mile in that dense growth before it has to stop. All we have to do is follow the trail and recollect it,” Dellain explained.

“Aye, my lord,” Mathius said with a salute before ordering the men to dismount.

Dellain looked to the distant trees with a scowl. He was angry now and wanted to visit that anger on his dragon. When he got his hands on it, he was going to make it sing until its throat bled.

2