1-16 Into the wilds
34 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The flight from Pinehollow was rapid and difficult. Gersius was still unconscious and the utmost care needed to be taken in moving him. He was sat on Thayle's small brown horse, then tied firmly with ropes to keep him in the saddle. Ayawa took the lead, picking a path that took them away from the main road and into the dirt tracks between the farms. Tavis was given the task of leading the horse, so Thayle could focus on monitoring Gersius. Lilly was left to her own devices, limping beside Thayle as she worried about what lay ahead.

The land beyond was dotted with small farms and clumps of forest. It was relatively easy-going while close to the fields, but the farms eventually ended. Here the land was untamed and full of tangled prairies and overgrown forests. Thick pockets of thorns grew in places creating a formidable barrier to their little party.

Ayawa always found a way through or around them, choosing the best path she could find. It always seemed like she knew exactly where she was going, and despite the growth, they made good progress. Lilly asked how she knew the way, and Tavis told her that Ayawa was born in the forests. Her people were nomadic hunters and could navigate even in the densest overgrowth.

Despite this skill, they had to turn out of their way several times when encountering a ditch or steep slope. Anything they didn't want to risk leading the horse over was avoided for Gersius's sake. In the end, Ayawa always found a path, but sometimes they had to wait while she scouted ahead, and precious time was lost.

By late afternoon they were miles from town but moving slowly as Ayawa returned from scouting with a frown. She reported that the land ahead was covered in dense bramble bushes. The paths were narrow and treacherous unless they risked climbing a nearby hill. Tavis was opposed to risking the hill and potentially stumbling the horse, which meant they had to endure the thorns. When they reached the first barrier of thorns, Tavis suggested they hack their way through. Thayle shook her head and offered another solution, moving close to the barrier with a raised hand.

“Are you going to bless the weeds?” Ayawa asked as Thayle threw back her head and cleared her throat.

“As a matter of fact, I am,” Thayle replied with a gentle smile. A melodic song filled the air as Thayle began to sing. Lilly was enthralled by the beauty of Thayle's song and how different it was from Gersius's chanting. There were no words that she recognized, but the plants before her began to twitch. There was a rustling sound as Thayle gestured with her hand as if pushing something over. The plants followed the motion, bending of their own accord to lay flat on the ground and open a path across them.

“Now that’s a useful skill,” Tavis said as the thorny barrier parted.

“Why didn’t you tell us you could that?” Ayawa balked. “You could have saved us an hour of going around them.”

“This is the first time you told us why you were changing course,” Thayle protested. “I don’t know why you choose one path over another, and I don’t want to second guess you.”

“And I don’t know what skills you possess,” Ayawa countered. “You could have at least volunteered that information, so I knew to call on you.”

“How am I to know what skills are important to you or not? Do I have to make a list of everything I can do?” Thayle argued.

“Umm, Ladies,” Tavis interjected. “The path is clear. Let’s continue. I am sure we will learn all we need to know about one another as time goes by.”

They exchanged angry glares a moment more before Ayawa huffed and walked on to take the lead. She vanished along what appeared to be a deer path as Tavis got the horse moving.

“Why is she so angry all the time?” Thayle asked as he passed her.

“Oh, she isn’t angry,” he laughed. “She throws punches when she’s angry. No, Ayawa is worried about Gersius and the road ahead. She isn’t going to relax until she gets him someplace safe where he can recover. Anything that delays that goal will make her more agitated.”

“And now she thinks I am contributing to those delays,” Thayle said and resumed walking beside Gersius. “I thought she was picking paths to avoid steep slopes or streams. I had no idea she was going around overgrown areas. If she had said something, I would have helped sooner.”

Tavis sighed and turned his head just enough that Thayle could see that mischievous smile. He explained that Ayawa’s people were very proud and didn’t ask for help unless there was no other option.

Thayle shook her head but let it go, focusing on Gersius instead. She smiled to discover Lilly walking right beside the horse so that she could hold his hand. She decided to walk beside Lilly and keep her company as the little dragon looked up at the wounded man.

“How did you do that?” Lilly asked as they passed through the gap Thayle had just opened.

“My Goddess, the Lady Ulustrah, gifts her servants with power over plants,” Thayle replied. “We can heal them, or cause them to grow, or as you just saw, get them to move aside.”

“So, you are like Gersius. You sing to your goddess in exchange for blessings?” Lilly asked.

“That’s a very simplistic way of putting it,” Thayle agreed.

“But you can’t heal like Gersius can?” Lilly questioned.

“Well, not like he can,” Thayle replied and looked to the man on her horse. “Gersius can heal men that are critically injured in battle, while I can heal enough to deal with common injuries. But there are other differences. For example, my order can cure poisons whereas Gersius's cannot.”

Lilly nodded and went back to staring at Gersius as Thayle watched her light flowing to him like waves crashing on the shore.

“What are you thinking about?” she asked, eager to know what was prompting the exchange.

“I was just thinking that I wish he was awake,” Lilly said.

“He will wake up soon,” Thayle promised.

Lilly nodded again and dared a glance at Thayle. She looked lost as if every step was uncertain without him. She looked away, but her gaze returned as she dared to share her thoughts.

“He wants to go to Calathen,” she said.

Thayle felt a sense of sadness for Lilly’s words. They all knew the prophecy of the dragon knight and how important it was to go to Calathen. Gersius probably told her all about it, but that road was closed to them now.

“Sweetheart,” Thayle began to sound as gentle as she could. “We would take him to Calathen if we could, but right now, the road is too dangerous. All we can do is keep him safe until he recovers enough to decide what to do next.” Her words were tender, but something strange happened. Lilly looked at her with questioning eyes and asked her what a sweetheart was. Thayle tried to explain that a sweetheart was a pet name used to suggest that someone was sweet with love. Lilly asked what love was, and Thayle was truly perplexed by the question. She made a mental note to think of a good way to describe it later and turned Lilly's thoughts back to Calathen.

“So, you were willing to go with him all the way to Calathen?” Thayle asked.

Lilly nodded and looked at the hand she still clutched as if for support.

“He told me about his war and that his people wouldn’t unite to fight it. He said he needed me to go with him so I could be a symbol to help unite his people and win,” she said.

“He does need you to be that,” Thayle agreed. “And I am sure he will still want that once he wakes up, but he assumed his brothers were going to welcome you as a friend. Now that they have treated you both so poorly, I wonder what he will want to do.”

Lilly let out a soft sigh, then jerked up and turned her head skyward. She looked around a bit as if in alarm as Thayle watched her aura tint with worry.

“Is something wrong?” Thayle asked, but Lilly didn't respond. She continued to search the sky to the south as if the very gods were about to descend there. “Lilly?” She looked back with a worried expression and rubbed Gersius's hand with her thumb.

“It. It's nothing,” she said and looked back to the southern sky. “I thought I heard something, is all.”

Thayle saw the light of truth pulse in Lilly's aura, but the colors of worry were still strongly present. Whatever she heard was causing an intense amount of concern. Thayle asked what she thought she heard, and Lilly tried to explain it away as a distant cry on the wind. That wasn't going to be good enough for Thayle, who could see the truth and knew this distant cry had to be much more. Before she could ask, they rounded the trail to find Ayawa crouching low and searching the sky.

“Did you hear that?” Ayawa asked as they got closer.

“I didn’t hear anything,” Tavis admitted with a shrug.

“I was sure I heard a sort of roar,” Ayawa said. “I have never heard anything like it before.”

“It was probably nothing,” Lilly blurted as her aura tinged with the dark light of a lie.

“Lilly,” Thayle said firmly and turned to glare right at her. “Did you hear the same sound?” Lilly nodded her head but remained silent. Thayle didn't have to use her imagination to figure out why Lilly would understand the sound so well and not want to talk about it. “Is that sound what I think it is?” Thayle pressed. “Is it another one of you?” Lilly nodded again and pointed to the south to say it was that way.

There was another roar like a faint rumble on the wind. Thayle and Tavis both heard it this time as Lilly leaned closer to the horse and suggested they keep moving. Thayle realized that Ayawa was focused on listening for the sound and hadn’t overheard the conversation with Lilly. She asked Lilly to stay with Gersius then ran ahead to speak with Ayawa.

“I need to talk to you,” Thayle said.

“You hear it that second time, right?” Ayawa asked as she searched the skied. “I swear it is coming from above.”

“I have no doubt that it is,” Thayle said with a glance to the sky. “Lilly says it sounds like another dragon.” Ayawa snapped to attention; her stern eyes focused like a hawk's as they locked on Thayle.

“She is sure?” Ayawa asked.

“If anyone here knows what a distant dragon sounds like, Lilly does,” Thayle answered.

“More trouble we don't need,” Ayawa groaned. “Why would there be another dragon about? I haven't heard of a dragon sighting in my lifetime. Now there are suddenly two?”

“I have no idea,” Thayle replied in exasperation. “But we are close to the Icefang mountains, and the Greenwall forest is practically wild land.”

“We need to be sure,” Ayawa said and turned her gaze on Lilly. “You are sure that sound was a dragon?”

“That was a dragon?” Tavis repeated in alarm and began to look skyward himself.

“Quiet, I am asking the girl,” Ayawa snapped and waited for her answer.

“I know what a dragon sounds like,” Lilly countered and pointed in the direction of the sound. “It's far away in that direction. It must be flying, or we wouldn't have heard the roar so clearly.”

“Do we need to get off the trail and hide?” Ayawa asked.

“No,” Lilly said. “It sounds like it's flying in circles. The roar gets louder and fainter as it goes around. I doubt it is coming this way.”

“Small blessings,” Thayle sighed.

“Small blessings?” Tavis mocked. “Where are all these dragons suddenly coming from? Gersius had to put an army of attendants to work just to find one.”

“He found two, but the first was beyond his reach,” Ayawa corrected and looked to Lilly. “You think it’s safe to continue in the open then?”

“I don’t know,” Lilly replied with a shake of her head. “It doesn’t sound like it’s coming any closer, but it could always change direction and come this way.”

“It sounds like it’s hunting,” Tavis said as he tipped his hat up to make eye contact with Ayawa. “And she pointed back in the direction we came from.”

“You think it's hunting us?” Thayle asked in alarm, but all Tavis could do was shrug.

Ayawa cursed under her breath and decided to press on, determined to get as far away as possible. She pressed on well into the night, only stopping when it became too dark to find a path. They made camp deep in the trees and didn't risk a fire for fear it would be seen from the sky. The roars had faded an hour ago, so they tried to settle in and put the fearful thoughts behind them.

Gersius was untied and laid on a makeshift cot, with Lilly sitting beside him the whole time. She held his hand and brushed the hair from his face while staring at him in sadness. Thayle even caught her talking to him as if he was awake, asking what they should do. Thayle took note of Lilly's aura every chance she could. The light was streaming out in waves like water as if feeding him from her soul. It was a surprising sight because Thayle had seen something similar many times before. It was always when one person had strong feelings for another, or two people were deeply in love. The light would break away in a cloud of tiny sparkles, floating on the wind to one another. However, Lilly's light was different. It came away in large glowing ripples that pulsed and danced. It washed over Gersius like waves on some magical shore and was quickly absorbed by his much fainter glow.

They decided the camp was well hidden enough that they could all sleep. Lilly insisted on laying next to Gersius and dragged her back to his side. As they settled in, Lilly made them all jump as the coins were spilled from the pack to rattle noisily to the ground.

“By the earth mother!” Ayawa snapped. “Girl, you have to be more quiet.”

“Is something wrong?” Lilly asked as she began to pull her coins into a small mound. They watched as she curled around it and went to sleep like a dragon sleeping on her hoard.

“Dragons,” Ayawa moaned as she returned to her bedroll.

Thayle yawned as the first rays of morning sunlight penetrated the gloom under the trees. She sat up and looked across the little space that acted as their campsite and was shocked by what she saw. Lilly was sitting on her legs, leaning over Gersius as he reached up to stroke her cheek. She had his other hand clutched between hers as the two spoke softly to one another.

“You’re awake!” Thayle exclaimed and hurried over.

“I am,” he said in a tired voice. “Lilly tells me I owe that to you.”

Thayle shook her head, knowing full well this had nothing to do with her. She explained how badly injured he had been and how little her healing had helped. She insisted that he should still be unconscious and Lilly limping in pain.

“Perhaps your goddess found special favor in us?” Gersius suggested with a sigh.

Thayle let her eyes fixate on their auras to see the light flowing between them. Lilly was sending far greater amounts, but Gersius was sending some of his back. It rushed like a river at dusk, with sun diamonds dancing on the water.

“I suspect my goddess had nothing to do with this,” Thayle said and smiled at Lilly. “There is another magic at play here.”

“You damn fool!” Ayawa shouted in a harsh voice as she suddenly appeared. She towered over him with a face full of stern rage and hands balled into fists. “You couldn’t see you were walking into a trap? Didn’t you pray for guidance?”

“I had orders,” Gersius replied as Lilly clutched his hand tightly. “I could not disobey a direct order from the Father Abbot.”

“So you did pray and ignored the warnings!” she shouted in irritation.

“I warning is just that, a warning,” he replied. “I had orders to go forward despite the warning. I thought I would be safe if I could reach my brothers. I had no idea they were the cause of the warning.” They locked eyes briefly as if the argument were about to continue, but then Ayawa shed a tear.

“It is good to see you awake,” she said while turning away. “I will give you some space.” Then, she walked off as Tavis took her place.

“You had us frightened for a bit,” he said. “The priestess has underplayed her ability to heal.”

Thayle shook her head and suggested that she didn't think she had anything to do with it. Tavis suggested that the holy water was far more potent than she realized, but Thayle assured him it was not. Gersius put his head down as they talked and turned his gaze to Lilly, who was still clutching his hand.

“I am sorry, Lilly,” he began, but she quickly cut him off.

“Don't,” she said in a pained tone. “You didn't do this, and I don't blame you.” She stopped to take a deep breath while rubbing his hand for support. “I like you, Gersius. You have been very good to me, but I am not sure I like your people. Your brothers are wicked and cruel. I am not sure I want to help you save them.”

“I don't blame you for how you feel,” he replied. “I have no idea why my brothers did this horrible thing, but they are not the people. You have to understand that the vast majority of the people are good and kind. They are like the woman who washed your feet and baked you apple tarts. They are innocent of this crime and would condemn it should they learn the truth.”

“I don’t know that I believe that,” Lilly said. “I was there in that hive you call Whiteford. I saw how the innocent people laughed and jeered to see me chained like a wild animal. They jeered all the louder when those wicked men dragged you out. They were happy to see how you had suffered and called out for you to suffer more. I heard them call you a traitor and scream for you to be put to death.”

“Lilly, please forgive them,” Gersius urged. “Those people were lied to by a man they should have been able to trust. Who would believe that the holy order of Astikar would commit such a crime under a cloak of lies and deception? The Father Abbot is the holy representative of Astikar. They trusted he was acting in the best wishes of his god and for the goodness of the people. They could not know that it was all lies.”

“It doesn’t make it any better,” Lilly said and released his hand. She folded her arms over her chest and looked away. “They didn’t heal my wings.”

“I am sorry,” he said again.

“Oh! You haven’t told him yet,” Thayle said in surprise. She exchanged a worried glance with Tavis as Lilly lowered her head and shook it.

“Maybe we should give them some time alone,” Tavis suggested. He and Thayle turned away and walked off to leave Gersius alone with Lilly.

“What haven't you told me?” Gersius asked, the concern apparent in his voice.

Lilly didn't answer, but she did move and slowly unlaced the hem of her dress. Then, she turned her back to him and lowered the top just enough to expose her shoulders.

“Your blue markings are gone,” he said and reached a hand up. She twitched as a gentle finger traced along a shoulder to her spine where it stopped. “They are here on your shoulder, but they end in a jagged line instead of going down your back. What does that mean?”

“The lines are a magical representation,” Lilly said.

“A representation of what?” he asked.

“My wings,” she replied with a strained voice.

“Then why have the lines changed? Why are the ones that go down your back gone?” A knot grew in his stomach when she didn't answer. He realized that this symbolized something tragic, and he needed to know what. “Lilly, why are you markings gone?”

“Because my wings are gone!” she wailed with tears coming to her eyes. She turned around and stared down as her cheeks ran like streams. “Your wicked brothers said they were there to heal me, then hacked my wings off and laughed!” She looked away, unable to bear his gaze, but a muttering sound made her look back.

Gersius was flushed red as his head tossed side to side. His mouth worked in words spoken so hoarsely that she couldn't make them out. He lurched when his hands curled into fists and began to beat the ground in angry frustration.

“Astikar!” he yelled with a powerful voice drawing the gaze of the whole camp. “Why have you have abandoned me?”

“It’s all right,” Lilly said as she tried to take one of his hands.

“It is not alright!” he roared with anger. “These are supposed to be my brothers. Men trained to show kindness and mercy to those who need it. They are supposed to fight in defense of the weak and for the glory of the god of mercy.” He paused to let out a strangled cry as he beat the ground again. “What mercy did these animals show you? How could they do this to you?” Tears poured from sore eyes as his voice returned to an intelligible muttering. Lilly covered her mouth in shock to see him so upset and wondered what to do. “I am a fool,” he said in a voice full of defeat. “I have truly failed.”

Lilly took up a hand and rubbed it between her own as he muttered for a moment more. His other hand reached over and tried to wipe the tears from her cheek.

“I should have listened to you,” he said. “I should have listened to you, or Thayle, or the warnings in my prayers. I should never have gone to Calathen.” He paused to let out a strangled cry and take a deep breath. “Most of all, I should never have commanded you. I am not fit to make decisions regarding your safety. As soon as I can stand, I am going to perform the right of release and set you free of the bind.”

Lilly felt faint as her heart raced to hear his words. He was going to set her free to do as she chose again! He would never command her again, and she would be free to go home. It was a joy that danced in her heart, but a question came with it.

“What about your people?” she asked. “How will you save them without me?”

“You have paid too high a price for my people already,” he said with a pained moan. “They are not your responsibility, and I can not ask you to give anything more for them.”

“But you need me to go with you to Calathen,” Lilly implored. “You need me to complete your prophecy.” Gersius cracked open his swollen eyes and looked up to meet hers. He looked like a man who was thoroughly defeated and ready to give up.

“Do you feel anything but anger for my people?” he asked.

Lilly couldn't hold his gaze as her head dropped, and she answered. “No.”

“Then you will not be made to suffer for them,” he replied. “You must go free.”

Lilly nodded in agreement as he lay back down. He asked her to give him a moment of peace, so she got up and moved away. Thayle took that as her cue to bring him a tray of food and sat with him as Lilly wandered off.

She wandered into the trees with arms folded tight while a storm boiled in her head. She would soon be free to return to the valley she called home. It was a dream come true, but somehow it felt empty as if there was nothing to go home to. She couldn't fly anymore, but at least now she could walk. She tried to imagine her life as a wingless dragon, running down deer for food and having to climb the cliff just to get into her cave. It wasn't a happy image, not like the one she had with him. She glanced over her shoulder to see him in the distance and wondered if she would miss being called Lilly.

They were on the move before the sun was too high. Ayawa took the lead once more, scouting a path through the trees and hills to steer them ever closer to their destination. The land was relatively flat, and Thayle used her blessing to clear paths they would otherwise have had to go around. It all helped speed their progress as Tavis lad the horse carrying Gersius on its back.

Tavis and Gerisus spoke at length about the war and rumors from the west. Lilly listened to a little of it, but her heart was someplace else. She kept trying to imagine her life without Gersius there to hold her hand and call her Lilly. She tried to tell herself that she wouldn't need to wear a foolish dress or the necklace that she was absentmindedly touching even now. With these thoughts came the twisting sensation that seemed to emanate from deep inside. She tried to ignore it, but something had changed, and it clawed at her like a trapped animal that was slowly dying. Thayle spoke with her for a little bit, but Lilly wanted to be alone with her thoughts. She couldn't explain any of the things she was feeling, and trying would only make it worse.

When the hour grew late, they settled into a camp hidden behind a shallow hill. It was an open space dotted with flowers that swayed in a gentle evening breeze. Lilly felt glad to be where there were so many different kinds of flowers. She wandered through them, picking several to see what they smelled like. It reminded her of the patch of dragon's tears they found in the forest, and the little crown Gersius made for her. It was there that she was given her name, one chosen because it was beautiful like he said she was.

“Why are there no flowers in my valley?” she said to herself as she plucked a broad white bloom. She realized there was a flower, a tiny white one that only grew after the snow receded. She never noticed it before, so why did it feel important now? Why should she care about a useless weed that grew among the rocks? Why did the thought of being alone in her valley make her feel sad?

Ayawa left camp briefly and returned an hour later with a couple of small animals she called rabbits. She spent another hour preparing them then dared to light a fire. Lilly could smell the meat as the fire did what she had come to understand as cooking.

Humans did so many unusual things, but they were wonderful things in many ways. Gersius cooked that first night, and she burned her hand on the fish. He was so angry, and she was so afraid that she broke down and started to cry. It was a terrible moment, but now that she looked back, she wondered if maybe it had been different. Gersius changed in that moment as if he realized he was out of control. He spoke to her soothingly and apologized for what he had done. He even shared how humans often wondered what it would be like to fly. She knew the joy and sense of freedom that came from soaring the skies. What a terrible shame it was that humans would never know such an experience. It was the one thing she could think of that dragons had over men.

As she looked up, the first stars appeared in a darkened sky. She had to fight the urge to cry as she dreamed of soaring above the clouds with a star-filled sky above. It was the most beautiful time to fly, and Lilly missed it dearly.

“Beautiful,” she said softly to herself as she realized the word was creeping into her thoughts. It was another one of his gifts, and now she used it to describe something she once enjoyed more than anything else in the world.

Gersius sat across the fire with his back against a fallen log. He’d become despondent after talking with Tavis and spend the rest of the afternoon in silence. He hardly moved and stared through the fire into the darkness with a look of pain on his face.

Lilly chose to sit with Thayle while watching him from the corner of her eye. She never realized how much she enjoyed talking with him and wished he would call her name. The twisting inside was intense, and she scolded herself for feeling this way. Why should a dragon care if a rodent spoke to her or not? Why did she miss his kind words?

Lilly didn't feel hungry, but she watched as Thayle ate some food. She thought about the foods Gersius had shown her on their travels. Never in her wildest dreams did she imagine that such things as bread, cakes, and tarts existed. There were so many flavors, and Gersius assured her that she had only experienced a tiny fraction of them. She wanted to try every kind of food from every kind of place and wash them down with the funny drinks they made. Her mood suddenly soured as she thought of being free to go back to her valley, never to taste human food again.

That night she sat under the stars and watched a strange scene unfold before her. Tavis and Ayawa sat right beside one another, whispering and laughing with broad smiles. At one point, Ayawa cupped Tavis's face between her hands and said something softly to him.

“What are they doing?” Lilly asked as she turned to Thayle. She was desperate to have someone to talk to, and Thayle seemed to like to explain things. The priestess looked over to see what Lilly was talking about before smiling wide and turning back to Lilly.

“They are sharing affection for each other,” she said as Lilly tried to understand.

“What is affection?” Lilly asked and returned to watching the scene.

“I have been thinking about how to explain this to you all day,” Thayle replied. She went to say something more when Ayawa leaned forward and pressed her lips to Tavis. They shared a kiss for a brief moment as Lilly stared in shocked wonder before asking the inevitable question.

“Why is she doing that? Is she trying to eat him?”

Thayle had to cover her mouth to stifle the laughter that wanted to escape. Lilly was far too innocent and clueless about how human relationships worked.

“This is what I was talking about earlier,” Thayle began. “They are in love, and what they are doing is called kissing.”

“What is kissing?” Lilly asked.

“That is kissing,” Thayle said and pointed to the display. “It’s a way we humans use to show affection for one another. It means that person is special to us, and we care a great deal about them.”

“So affection is the same as being special to someone?” Lilly asked.

“Well, it’s more than that, but you have to start somewhere,” Thayle laughed.

Lilly huffed in frustration at not understanding what Thayle meant. “I do not understand this love you rodents speak about,” she said as her gaze went to the ground. “We dragons don’t have love.”

“Everybody needs love, even you,” Thayle replied and took a moment to study Lilly's aura. Her light was in turmoil ever since she had last spoken to Gersius. It flashed with the light of a terrible decision, one that she didn't want to make. The ripple of light that once flowed to Gersius had ceased as if something had come between them. Likewise, he made very little progress in healing compared to the night before.

“I will never understand this love,” Lilly said as the two kissed again.

“You do understand love,” Thayle said soothingly. “You just never had a word for it.”

“But what is it?” Lilly asked.

“It's a feeling that comes from inside,” Thayle replied. “When you see or even think of a person you love, you feel it inside. There will be a sort of tugging or a sense of need and longing. You will feel sad when you can't be near the person, and hurt when they hurt.”

“I don’t feel that,” Lilly said as she considered the twisting that knotted up her insides.

Thayle watched Lilly’s light and saw the truth of her answer.

“You don’t feel that?” Thayle teased with a playful tone. “Tell me then. What do you feel when you look at Gersius?”

Lilly looked across the clearing to where he sat like a statue staring into the fire. His face was frozen in a scowl and looked like stone.

“I. I don’t know,” she answered and absentmindedly began to play with her necklace.

Thayle smiled as Lilly’s light told a completely different story. The glow as back and ripples of light began to flow toward the man sitting alone.

“You want to talk to him, don't you?” Thayle asked. Lilly nodded and fumbled with the necklace as she watched him from afar. “I am sure he would love your company. Maybe you should sit with him. Get close to him like Ayawa is with Tavis.”

“I can’t do that,” Lilly said in alarm. “Besides, he hasn’t spoken to me since he learned about my wings. I think I upset him.”

“Of course, he's upset,” Thayle agreed. “But he isn't upset with you. He's upset about you.”

“About me?” Lilly questioned and looked at Thayle. “What does that mean?”

“It means you should go over there and talk to him,” Thayle said with a warm smile and shooed Lilly away with a hand. “Go on, go.”

Lilly slowly stood and crept around the fire as the twisting inside became intense. She was filled with a sense of awkward dread when she arrived, and he didn't respond to her presence.

“Can I sit with you and talk?” she asked.

Finally, he moved, looking up with eyes full of pain. She felt something terrible inside and nearly cried when he nodded and pat the ground beside him. She sat beside him but wasn't bold enough to get as close as Ayawa. Instead, she pulled up her legs to wrap her arms around them and looked about in confusion. Her gaze fell on Thayle, who was making an odd gesture by leaning to one side and bending her neck. Lilly didn't know what to do, so she made a face to show her confusion and shrugged her reply.

Thayle put her hands over her face and shook her head. Suddenly she looked up and started pointing across the fire to where Tavis and Ayawa sat. She pointed to Lilly, then pointed to them, suggesting Lilly look. Lilly saw them sitting close with Ayawa leaning into Tavis, her head on his shoulder and his arm around her back. Lilly realized what Thayle wanted and looked back with wide eyes as she faintly shook her head.

Thayle responded with a frown and pointed right at Lilly. She then pointed to her own head then her shoulder to indicate what Lilly should do. A sense of panic washed over as she glanced to the side to see Gersius sitting motionless. She dared to look at Thayle, who was scowling as if Lilly had done something wrong. She looked away as the panic started to rise and tried to convince herself that she was a dragon, not a human. Doing something like that was undignified for her kind. All she wanted to do was make sure he wasn't lonely and maybe talk a little.

Thayle was glaring with a look that could have melted stone. Lilly swallowed and slowly started to lean over but quickly realized she was too far away. She slid over and froze as her hips accidentally made contact with his. For just a moment, he looked up, and the sadness in his eyes seemed to flicker. The twisting raged inside, but just as quickly, he looked away and resumed his cold stare.

Carefully, she leaned over, feeling more and more of his body as she began to settle into him. When there was no more room to move, she tipped her head and awkwardly set it on his shoulder. She had done it but was uncomfortable and wondered why this was so important. Then he shifted as his arm came up and wrapped around her back. She was cradled to his side and pulled in snugly, alleviating the discomfort.

The twisting reached new heights, surging inside and filling her very being. She was sure it would make her scream but realized it had changed. Now it seemed to be at peace as if finally it had gotten what it wanted. A warm sense of right replaced the twisting, and she took a deep breath to steady her thoughts. Thayle was smiling, and Lilly began to wonder if this feeling inside was love. She was shocked by how much she relished being in that position, but it became even more special when he laid his head on hers. A glance at Thayle showed the woman was practically clapping with delight. Gersius's arm began to rub her shoulder, soothing away her concerns as her whole world became just him. She didn't understand what they were doing but didn't deny she was happy to be in his arms. He soothed away her worries as she closed her eyes and let the night slip away.

When morning came, Lilly was startled to discover she was still in his arms. She looked across a dead fire to see Ayawa scowling as Thayle pointed at them.

“I see it, but I refuse to believe it,” Ayawa said with a toss of her head. “This must be your doing.”

“I tell you I had nothing to do with it,” Thayle protested.

“Then who is responsible? The dragon?” Ayawa balked.

Lilly stayed where she was as the two argued. Eventually, Ayawa threw up her arms and stalked away, allowing Thayle to come over and sit before them.

“How are you feeling, sweetheart?” she asked.

“I feel fine,” Lilly replied with a cautious tone.

“You look it,” Thayle said as she reached up and took a clump of Lilly's hair between her fingers. “Though your hair could use a brush.”

“What were you two arguing about?” Lilly asked as Thayle released her hair.

“We were arguing about Gersius,” Thayle replied.

Lilly asked what was wrong with him and Thayle said that nothing was, and that was the problem. When Lilly didn't understand, Thayle suggested she look at Gersius's face. Lilly didn't want to move from her warm embrace, but she couldn't see his face clearly. Slowly she extracted herself from his arm and took a good look to see his face looked normal. The swollen bruises and red welts were gone as if washed away to leave the man she knew as Gersius.

As they stared in wonder, his eyes fluttered, and he looked up to see them both hovering over him.

“What are you two looking at?” he asked in confusion.

Well, good morning,” Thayle said sweetly. “I trust you were warm last night.”

“Of course I was. I had Li –“ he began but quickly choked on the name.

“I see,” Thayle said with a smile. “How are your eyes?”

“They appear to be fine,” he said and reached up to test the skin around them. “What are you on about?”

“Gersius, yesterday your face was purple and swollen, but now it’s completely healed,” Thayle said as she stood up. “You don’t even have bruises under your eyes.”

“How can that be?” he asked while trying to stand up.

“I see the ribs are better too,” Thayle said as he came to his feet.

He admitted that they still hurt but not nearly as bad as the other day. He also had more strength in his limbs and felt a gnawing hunger.

“Did you something?” he asked, unable to believe it himself.

“I did the best I could, even resorting to using holy water meant for plants to try and accelerate your healing. I expected you to be down for over a week and not near this healthy for two or three. Honestly, I wasn't sure it was going to work at all. As I said, it's meant for plants, not people.”

“It must have been the water,” Gersius said. “How else can you explain it?”

Thayle looked at Lilly and cracked a slight smile. She could see the waves of light crashing on his shore and began to have serious doubts. “I don’t think it was the water, but I can’t prove my suspicion yet.”

They took a little extra time so that Thayle could introduce Lilly to a new human experience. She took Lilly out of the camp to a nearby stream and taught her how to bathe. For nearly an hour, Lilly fussed as Thayle made her strip and stand in a stream so she could wash her hair. Thayle washed her own first, so Lilly could see how it was done then it was her turn.

“Your hair is lovely, but it was well overdue for a wash,” Thayle said. Lilly sat there horrified as Thayle poured a bowl full of water over her head.

“Why are you making me do this?” she cried.

“Your hair was starting to look ragged and oily,” Thayle said as she poured another bowl of water down Lilly's long silver-blue drape. “Men like women to have clean flowing hair.”

“Why do I care what men think of my hair?” she retorted, causing Thayle to laugh.

“Trust me, you will thank me someday,” Thayle said and took up a strange white stone. She rubbed it between her hands and produced a white cloud she called bubbles. The stone was called soap, and Thayle gently worked the soap and bubbles into Lilly's hair. Lilly enjoyed this part as Thayle's fingers caressed her scalp and worked the soap bubbles in. When she was satisfied, she poured more water over Lilly's head then wrung out her long hair.

When her torment at the stream was over, she was allowed to dress but had to sit in camp while Thayle brushed her hair. At first, she hated what was happening as Thayle worked out what she called tangles. Eventually, the brushing started to run smoothly, and Lilly began to enjoy the long soothing strokes. She was reminded of the morning on the farm when Misses Garandel did the same thing, brushing her hair until it was smooth.

“You have such beautiful hair,” Thayle said as she worked. “But it’s likely to be windy today. We should braid it to keep it out of your face.”

“I had a braid once,” Lilly said as she remembered the farmer's wife again. “Can you make it look like Ayawa's?”

“I could, but I was thinking of something softer,” Thayle replied with a smile. She worked on Lilly's hair for twenty minutes, carefully dividing it into strands and weaving two long ropes. She took these and used some ribbon from her pack to weave them together, giving Lilly a very innocent look.

Ayawa came over to hurry them along and shook her head when she saw Lilly's hair. Thayle ignored the woman and finished up, pinning the tail in a loop.

“Now, let him look at you and see what he thinks,” Thayle said.

“Let who look at me?” Lilly asked.

“Such an innocent dragon,” Thayle teased and told her to get her pack.

They packed in a hurry as Lilly waited by Gersius's bag. He returned from the stream where he, too, had bathed and looked like a new man. His hair was brushed, and his face was shaven, which only made his expression look more like stone. He wore the simple clothes from his pack as his armor and weapon had been lost in Whiteford.

Lilly looked to her pack and took off the sword strapped to the side. She held it out and offered it back though she secretly wanted to keep it. She never thought she would use it, but he had given it to her after all, and she felt attached to it now. He took the sword with a smile and promised to give it back as soon as he could get another. She was grateful to hear it and even happier when his arm went around her back to walk to the horse.

Tavis helped him into the saddle and continued to lead it as they left the hidden camp. Ayawa took the lead, choosing an obvious animal trail and running ahead to look for obstacles. Tavis and Gersius talked while Thayle trailed behind with Lilly, using the time to teach her more about affection.

“Did you enjoy your night?” Thayle asked.

“I was safe,” Lilly replied, not sure what Thayle was getting at.

“You know you can ask me anything,” Thayle urged. “I will do my best to explain anything you want to know.”

Lilly nodded and thought back to last night when Tavis and Ayawa were kissing. One question was weighing on her mind, so she decided to ask.

“Why were Tavis and Ayawa in the same bedroll?”

Thayle smiled and looked ahead to make sure Tavis wouldn’t hear.

“They are husband and wife, and husbands share a bed with their wives,” she explained.

“What does that mean?” Lilly questioned as Thayle used unfamiliar words.

Thayle took a moment to ponder her answer and settled on a straightforward approach. She reminded Lilly of the party where she learned to dance and told her that was a wedding. A man and woman were getting married and becoming husband and wife.

“They made a sacred promise to love each other and express that love through physical touch,” Thayle said.

“Why would they do that?” Lilly asked.

“Because they love each other,” Thayle said. “I told you that love was a feeling deep inside. Well, Tavis and Ayawa feel that for each other. They enjoy being close and sharing.”

“What are they sharing?” she pressed.

Thayle found her lack of understanding amusing, so she changed her tactic and turned the question around.

“You said you felt safe in Gersius's arms last night,” she pointed out as Lilly nodded. “Did you feel like it was good to be there?” Again Lilly nodded, so Thayle continued. “You and Gersius were sharing comfort for one another last night. You were there to support one another and feel safe. Tavis and Ayawa were sharing that and a little more because their relationship is more advanced.”

“So, they kiss to share affection and hold each other to share comfort,” Lilly said as she tried to work it out. “But they share a bed to do something more?”

“That's a good start to your understanding of it,” Thayle laughed. “Let's not get too far ahead of yourself. You need to learn some of this slowly. Why don't we catch up and talk to Gersius for a little bit? I'm sure he has some questions.”

Lilly agreed, and they quickened the pace to fall in beside the horse. Gersius was talking to Tavis about the dragon they heard the day before and what it might mean.

“So we are running for our lives,” he said.

“As fast as we dared to go,” Tavis replied. “It will be a lot faster now that you have recovered so much.”

Gersius nodded and asked the logical question. “So, where are we going?”

“Eastgate,” Thayle answered before Tavis could say anything.

Gersius was silent a moment then turned to look at Thayle with a questioning expression. “Why Eastgate?”

“Because my order has a large temple there,” Thayle replied. “Well, I should call it a grand temple. It is the seat of power for this region and is run by the highest-ranking Prime in the order. Since you were so badly wounded, I was going to ask them to shelter us for a few weeks. But you are recovering much faster than I ever imagined, so maybe that won't be so important. In any case, I will ask them to provide you with a weapon and some armor. Then we will take some time to recover our wits while you think about what you want to do next.”

“That is taking us away from Calathen,” Gersius pointed out.

“That's exactly why it's the perfect place to go,” Tavis said. “Nobody will expect you to be moving away from Calathen, and there is no temple of Astikar in the city. It is the perfect place to hide for a little bit. We were planning to take a riverboat from Millwater and head upriver to avoid the roads and move you easier.”

“It is a good plan,” Gersius said as the horse came to a stop. He looked ahead to see Ayawa standing just ahead of them with a curious expression on her face.

“I heard all of that,” she said. “I had expected some argument from you.”

“About the boat or the destination?” Gersius asked.

“Both,” Ayawa replied. “After all you suffered to find a dragon, I expected you to demand we head straight for Calathen.”

“What for?” Gersius asked. “My mission is over, and my efforts have been in vain. Worse, they have cost the lives of thirty men, who knows how many civilians and brought great harm to Lilly. No, it is time I abandoned this course and thought of something else.”

Thayle lowered her head at his admission of defeat. He was an emotionally broken man set adrift with no purpose and no idea what to do. It pained her to see just how deeply the ordeal had wounded him, but then who could blame him?

“But you gambled everything on this,” Ayawa said in shock. “You have the dragon. Surely you intend to go on.”

“No,” he replied and looked at Lilly. “Tonight, when we make camp, I will set Lilly free so she can go home.”

“Now you're just being ridiculous!” Ayawa shouted. “If you turn back now, then all the suffering you have endured to get here will be in vain. Of course, we can't go to Calathen right now, but surely there is another way.”

Gersius took on a firm gaze and slowly shook his head. He declared that Lilly was a friend, not a pet or possession. He admitted that his poor judgment had brought her to harm, and she deserved to be free to make her own decisions. He wanted to do it this morning, but she was too long with Thayle.

“It isn't fair to drag her against her will into my failures,” he finished.

“You didn’t drag her from what I heard of it,” Ayawa argued.

“You know how we met and what happened afterward?” he asked in surprise.

It was Lilly's turn to speak up, and she admitted to telling the story of what happened in the valley. Gersius nodded but said it was wrong to force her into the binding. He was sorry that he took advantage of her vulnerability and wanted to right his wrongs.

“To be fair, Gersius. Your original plan was to fight her with thirty men. If that had played out the way you wanted it, would things be any better?” Tavis asked.

“He's right,” Thayle remarked. “No matter how you captured her, you were going to have to force her to come with you.”

“And both paths would have been wrong,” Gersius sighed.

“No, you're wrong,” Ayawa scolded. “She was dying and would be dead right now without you. You saved her life, and it doesn't matter what went wrong after that moment. She's here now only because of what you did for her.”

“But was that the merciful thing to do?” he asked. “I put my desire to be a hero over her right to die.”

“Her right to die? What is that supposed to mean?” Ayawa demanded.

Lilly answered for him as she trembled under their collective gaze. “When he found me, I was so frightened. I didn't want him to bind me, and I didn't want to live without my wings. So I begged him to kill me instead. I wanted him to end my suffering and free me from this world. I only agreed to give him my name because I thought he could heal my wings. I didn't realize he might not have the strength to heal me fully.”

“I knew I might not be strong enough to heal a dragon, especially with such terrible wounds,” Gersius admitted. “I told her I could do it, but I knew I was taking a risk. I swear, I tried with all my power to heal her fully, but I failed.”

“It doesn't change the fact that you saved her life. Even if she begged you to end it.” Ayawa insisted. “Whatever mercy means to you, it was right to give her a second chance.”

“I agree,” Thayle added and reached over to rub his leg. “You did the right thing.”

Gersius nodded but looked to the one person whose opinion mattered most. Lilly met his gaze with a trembling lip and had to look away before she could answer.

“I agree too,” she said in a pained voice.

“You do?” he asked as Lilly’s head fell and she stared at the ground.

“I didn't want to die, but I didn't want to be bound either. I had already given up hope, and I wanted you to make my end quick. I never dreamed I could have a life again or that I might be grateful in some way to you.” She looked up to the sky and watched the clouds for a moment before continuing. “I don't know how I am going to live without my wings. I don't know how to explain to you how important they are to me. I want them back, and I want to fly again, but that hope is gone forever now.” She struggled not to cry and had to wipe tears away before continuing. “But I am glad you are here to make this life a little better. I enjoy being with you.”

“But what I did was wrong,” he insisted. “I should never have bound you. I should have healed you in good faith and then asked you to help me.”

“You had to bind me, Gersius,” Lilly said in a pained voice as she turned to look directly at him. “I won't lie about it. If you had healed me first, I would have mocked and then killed you.” She spoke with venom and glared with death in her eyes. “I mean what I say. I would have killed you and not thought twice about it.”

“How can you say that?” he asked.

“You know it's true. That's why you bound me in the first place. You said it back when you found me. You said you couldn't trust me to keep my promise, and you were right. I am a dragon, and I had no regard for your rodent lives back then. You had no more meaning to me than a deer wandering a hillside. Just a meal waiting for me to snatch it up.”

“Dragons!” Ayawa spat.

“Back then, you had no regard,” he said with hurt in his eyes. “Has your opinion changed?”

“Lilly sighed and looked away as she gave a little nod. “Much has changed since that day. I have learned that you humans are not the rodents I thought you were. I have also learned that there is much about your ways I enjoy. I would never have dreamed this, but I like to speak with you. I feel like I know you as well as I know my mother, and I enjoy your company.” She walked a few steps away and ran a hand over her head as she tried to put her thoughts together. “I thought my life was going to be a trail of misery and sorrow, but you have shown me it could be so much more. I admit I hate your brothers for what they have done, but I trust you, and I would still walk through the gates of Calathen with you, bound or unbound.”

Thayle let out a little squeal of joy as Ayawa rolled her eyes in disgust. It was a moment of great beauty as a human and dragon admitted they needed one another.

“You would do that of your own free will?” he asked.

“Only for you,” Lilly said as she turned and raised a finger to point at him. “I would not trust any other. I do this with you, or I don’t do it at all.”

“This changes nothing. We are going to Eastgate,” Ayawa insisted.

“We are going to Eastgate,” Gersius agreed. “We can decide what to do after I get some armor and a good weapon.”

“Well, now that we are agreed, let's worry about the next problem,” Ayawa said and motioned that they should resume walking. “Our biggest concern is getting on the boat in the first place. We have to assume they are still looking for you. It only makes sense they will have spies and agents in every town they think you might pass through.”

Gersius nodded in agreement. His brothers had turned against him, and they wouldn't give up so easily. What was more concerning was that Jessivel was in the area. That meant the seekers might be looking for him, and that would be difficult to avoid.

“I don’t see that we have much choice,” he said at last.

“You are healing much faster than expected,” Ayawa pointed out. “We could walk the whole way, avoiding towns and roads by skirting the mountains.”

“But that will take weeks instead of days,” Tavis said. “Not to mention the terrain will be terrible to move through. I doubt the priestess can bless the rocks aside to ease our passage.”

“We are taking the boat,” Gersius said to end the conversation. “We need to reach the Eastgate with speed before they can organize enough support to scout this entire kingdom.”

“Then the decision is made,” Ayawa replied. “We press on with haste for Millwater and take a boat upriver. I estimate two days to reach the town and another two to travel to Eastgate.”

“Then we should be safely hidden away,” Tavis added.

They spent the rest of the day talking with Thayle about the city. She had spent a great deal of time in the city serving at the grand temple. She also knew the leader of her order, a man named Arlin, who she described as kind with a big heart.

When the sky returned to stars, they made camp in a small grove of tall trees. They were miles from any major road, so they risked a fire to ward away the night's chill. Ayawa did more hunting and was back in less than an hour with a bird she called a pheasant. Lilly ate with Gersius, sitting at his side as he stared into the sky as if looking for answers. Once again, she was reminded of how he wanted to know what it was like to fly. She wished she could fly and briefly thought of taking him with her. Maybe that would soften the pain and restore some joy to his heart.

When dinner was done, he sat silent for nearly an hour, then stood up and held a hand out to Lilly.

“Come, Lilly. It is time.”

Deep inside, the twisting surged up, and for the first time, she felt doubt. For some reason, Lilly was afraid of being released and was drowned in a sense of uncertainty. She tried to rationalize her thoughts, reminding herself that she could walk and run again. She no longer needed him for support or was dependent on him for safety, but that didn't seem to matter. Deep down, she didn't want to be let go, and the twisting clawed at her heart like a trapped animal about to die.

She took his hand and was led away from camp so he could speak her true name in private. Tears wet her eyes as they walked away; the time of bondage soon to be over. As the moon began to shine in a sky full of stars, a low chant drifted on the wind. An ancient magic was evoked and released, its power dissipating as Lilly heard her real name. In a heartbeat, it was over, and silence was restored to the night as Lilly realized she couldn't feel him anymore.

“Gersius?” she whispered as he smiled and turned away.

“You are free to go home,” he said as he began to walk away. “You should go. There is no shame in it.”

Lilly watched him walk away as something died inside, leaving a gnawing form of emptiness.

All eyes went to Gersius as he wandered out of the night and resumed his position by the fire. He said not a word as his eyes went back to the night sky, showing nothing of his pain. Minutes passed as the tension grew, then finally, another form emerged from the darkness. Lilly walked with a stiff pace, her head cast down and hand's wringing in uncertainty.

“Thank Ulustrah,” Thayle said when she saw her and was grateful that Lilly came right to her and sat down. “Did he set you free?” she asked as Lilly pulled up her legs.

“Yes,” Lilly whispered in a somber tone.

“Did he say anything?” Thayle asked, eager to know what was going to happen next.

“He said I should go home,” Lilly replied.

Thayle could see the turmoil in Lilly’s aura. It rolled and frothed like the sea in a storm. The light of a decision flashed intensely over her head, and she kept glancing his way as if hoping he would make it for her.

“Listen,” Thayle began. “All he did was set you free completely. He didn’t tell you he wanted you to go home, only that you should for your sake. He is making sure he hasn’t caused you any confusion that might influence your decision.”

“Why?” Lilly asked.

“He doesn’t want you to stay because he wants you to. He wants you to stay because you want to,” Thayle said. “This was the only way to be sure.”

Lilly nodded and rested her chin on her knees. The flashing was intense as she thought about the choice that needed to be made.

“I don’t know what to do,” Lilly admitted.

“You only have two choices,” Thayle said and put a hand on Lilly's shoulder. “You either go home, or you go to him.”

“To him?” Lilly asked with eyes full of tears.

“I would tell you to follow your heart, but you have no understanding of what that means,” Thayle said. “So let me explain it this way. If you want to stay, then you need to reassure him. He needs to know that you want to stay, even if you aren't bound.”

“I can’t feel him anymore,” Lilly whispered.

“What does that mean?” Thayle asked in confusion.

“When I was bound, I could feel something of him. It was something I don’t know how to explain, but I can’t feel it anymore.”

“I don’t know what that is,” Thayle admitted with a perplexed expression. “I could see a link between you two in the light of your aura, but I don’t know what does or means. I’m not sure anyone in my order knows how a binding affects the two involved. I don’t even know anyone who has ever bound another, let alone a dragon. It’s the kind of thing that you only hear of from ancient history.”

“Can you still see the link between us?” Lilly asked.

“No, sweetheart. I am afraid the link is gone,” Thayle replied.

“What should I do?” Lilly begged.

“Only you can make that choice. You are a free being now. Any choice you make from here on out is solely up to you,” Thayle said.

Lilly looked at Gersius as the light of decision flashed brightly and was gone. Her choice was made. Thayle held her breath as Lilly stood and walked to where her pack rested. With sorrow-filled eyes, she slung it over one shoulder and took a forlorn look at Gersius.

“Dear, Ulustrah,” Thayle cried under her breath. “She’s leaving!”

3