1-18 Broken wings
36 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lilly trotted over a hill just as the sun began to peel away the dominion of the night. Ayawa saw her before the others and quickly alerted them that she was back. Lilly was surprised to find them so soon, but Ayawa explained that she was concerned Lilly's return would cause some alarm. She followed Lilly's tracks for several miles and waited in the countryside under a tall willow to avoid anyone seeing her. Hopefully, they would be safe from prying eyes long enough for Lilly to change back.

Lilly came right up to the group and carefully knelt so they could help Gersius off her back. He was still hurting from the injuries and went directly into Thayle's care. She inspected the lumps on his head and announced that while it was painful, it wasn't serious. She was sure her healing could manage it and began a little song while putting her hands to his head.

With Gersius in hand, Lilly looked to Ayawa, who had her clothes, and directed her to go behind the tree. Lilly moved away and quickly began her transformation, changing back in a flash of light before walking to Ayawa, who looked concerned.

“What’s the matter?” Lilly asked.

“Your eyes are the matter,” Ayawa snapped as she handed Lilly her clothes. “They burning like blue fires again.”

Lilly paused to hold a hand close to her face and see the light reflected in her palm. She never used the human form before she met Gersius and had no idea her eyes glowed afterward. She tried to explain it to Ayawa and insisted the glow would fade in a little less than a day.

“We have to pass through a town to get on a boat,” Ayawa sighed. “If your hair was enough to draw attention, I can’t imagine what those eyes will do.”

“There is nothing I can do about it,” Lilly argued as she struggled to fit the leather bracing around her chest. “Oh, why do you humans wear these stupid things?” she complained.

“Here, let me help you,” Ayawa grumbled and turned Lilly around to tie the straps for her. She pulled the lacing tight and helped Lilly adjust it as she admonished her for being brave.

“I just wanted to help him,” Lilly replied and pulled out her necklace and handed it to Ayawa.

“That’s twice now you have saved him. We are all your debt,” Ayawa added as she latched the necklace around Lilly’s neck.

“I did it for Gersius,” Lilly said as she glanced back. “He saved my life.”

“Yes, he did,” Ayawa agreed. “And now you have saved his.”

Lilly wasn't sure what the woman was getting at, but she was far more interested in Gersius. She peeked around the tree to see he was standing in the road with Tavis and Thayle. Hoping they were far enough away, she turned to Ayawa to ask a question.

“Do you know Gersius well?” she asked.

“I do,” Ayawa replied with a nod. “We have known each other for many years. Tavis and I have been scouts for several of his missions and military campaigns. We have accompanied him on many of his more secret missions as well. I wish he had thought to include us on this one.”

“I am worried about him,” Lilly said as she straightened her dress. “He used to sing to his god every morning, but he no longer does. He was injured when I freed him but refused to call for healing. I asked him why but he said he didn't want to talk about it.”

“Gersius is having a conflict of faith,” Ayawa said and handed Lilly a boot. “He was betrayed by his brothers and wonders why Astikar allowed it to happen. He is trying to understand what it all means and refuses to go before his god with a heart full of anger.”

“But his faith is everything to him,” Lilly countered. “Even in the short time I have known him, I can see that.”

“You are right; it is everything to him. That is why this particular pain is tormenting him so,” Ayawa agreed and handed her the other boot. “He won't go before Astikar until he has had time to think and make up his mind as to who to blame. I only pray that he doesn't put the blame at Astikar's feet, but where else could he place it?”

Lilly looked up to see Ayawa looked genuinely concerned. It made sense that Gersius was angry, but she didn't know enough about humans to appreciate it fully. However, there was one thing that was similar as it was something that meant everything to her.

“Being able to fly means everything to me,” she said and began to lace her boot. “Losing my wings made me wish I could die. I would give anything to have them back, and I can't help but think every day about what I've lost. I hope his pain isn't the same, but I suspect it's worse, and I don't know what to say to him.”

Ayawa took a deep breath as Lilly's compassion for Gersius shone like a brilliant light. For days she had been arguing with Thayle about what Lilly felt. Ayawa was convinced that Lilly was only here because she was bound to him, but he set her free and stayed anyway. Now she had to admit that there might be something to Lilly and her relationship with Gersius. There was no denying the fact that Lilly felt the call of a lover's mark, and that only works for a woman in love.

“It doesn't matter what you say. Gersius's world has gone dark, and you are his only bright light,” Ayawa said while struggling to fight her reservations. She couldn't believe what she was about to say, especially to a dragon, but Gersius needed this girl, and she would not stand in the way. “His face is so full of pain, but then he looks at you, and he softens. When he holds you at night, he appears to be in a better place and a spark of hope glints in his eye. I think the best thing you can do is be with him because he seems to draw strength from you.”

“You think so?” Lilly asked as they looked at the southern woman. Her face was somber, and her eyes still looked scolding and distrustful, but she had encouraged Lilly and given some measure of approval.

“I know so,” Ayawa said and motioned Lilly to follow. “Come. We must talk with Gersius. We need to know what happened and plan our next move.”

“That bump on the back of your head is too old,” Thayle said as she took her hands away. “You will have to wait that one out.”

“That’s probably the one they gave me behind the inn,” Gersius replied and reached up to rub the spot.

“Is he healed?” Ayawa asked as she arrived with Lilly.

“As well as I can make him,” Thayle replied and stepped back.

“Good,” Ayawa replied, then fixed a stern gaze on Gersius. “So now that you have cost us an entire night's sleep, do you mind telling us what happened?”

Gersius sighed and began to recount the story as best he could remember it. He went outside for water, and then somebody struck him from behind. When he woke, he was in the back of a wagon being interrogated by two men who appeared to be Zhadrain assassins.

Ayawa growled lightly at the mere mention of the cursed name. Tavis asked him if he was sure, and Gersius described the outfits to confirm their identity. Tavis asked if any of them appeared to be shadow dancers, but Gersius admitted he only saw the two men, and Lilly killed them both. He then explained some of what they said, especially the part about the bounty on his head. He turned to Lilly and told her that her bounty was much higher.

“There are bounties on both your heads,” Ayawa groaned. “We can’t afford for anyone to see you.”

“It is not like I planned for this to happen,” Gersius argued.

“But it did happen,” Ayawa said with a sour tone. “And none of us saw it coming.”

“Obviously, Gersius did,” Tavis countered. “Or he wouldn't have gone to such secrecy about his route and made sure we were nearby to help if needed.”

“I suspected spies in the order,” Gersius admitted. “But I never dreamed the Father Abbot would turn against me.”

“All of which raises another question,” Ayawa said and met his gaze. “Why are they going to such great lengths to stop you?”

“What do you mean?” Thayle asked as Gersius looked away.

Ayawa folded her arms and laid out her theory. Initially, she assumed that all they wanted was the dragon so that they could give her to another. Had Gersius turned over her name right away, it was likely he would have been rewarded. She assumed they tortured him because he refused, but now there had to be more to it. People didn't get bounties high enough to attract the zhadrain unless there was something critical at stake. The Father Abbot must be afraid of Gersius for some reason and can't afford to let him live. If Lilly's bounty was higher, it could only mean they wanted to recapture her for some plan.

“They want to use her to create a dragon knight,” Thayle argued.

“That does seem likely,” Tavis agreed. “But why not let Gersius do that?”

“It's obvious,” Ayawa said as she stared at Gersius. “You made it clear the moment you asked to go on your mission, and they said no. You went before the entire leadership and condemned them. You then displayed your astute command of the law of Astikar by evoking your right as a captain to go on the mission. You proved beyond any doubt that they couldn't control you. I bet they were terrified of you becoming the dragon knight and then the emperor. They would suddenly be under your foot instead of the other way around.”

“That can't be true,” Gersius protested, but Ayawa reminded him that they refused to name him General even though he was locked in a desperate war.

“That's a very good point,” Tavis said. “If you had been given the title of general, you could have acted freely and without their control. Maybe she's right. They are afraid to let you off the chain.”

“Which means the Father Abbot has something to hide that giving you too much freedom risked exposing,” Ayawa added and looked toward the distant town. “Now we have to hide you both. They clearly assume the dragon is still with you.”

“They do, but they have no idea she can take a human form,” Gersius answered. “They don't know who Lilly is.”

“You're sure?” Tavis asked, and Gersius replayed the conversation in the wagon and even pointed out that the men must have been following Them. Surely they saw Lilly, yet they demanded he tell them where the dragon was.

“He's right. They must not know,” Ayawa agreed. “Thank the Earth Mother.”

“This has nothing to do with the divines or their miracles,” Gersius countered to the shocked expressions of his friends.

“Surely you don’t blame Astikar for what has happened?” Tavis asked as he tipped his hat up to make eye contact. “That isn’t like you at all.”

“Who else is there to blame?” Gersius replied in a dark tone. “I have devoted my entire life to his service. I have served his church, aided his people, and led his armies whenever he called. Yet it was his order that did this not only to me but to Lilly, the dragon who offered to help them.”

“You’re just speculating now,” Tavis argued. “Ayawa presented her idea as a theory only. A possibility we needed to consider.”

“A theory?” Gersius asked and shook his head as if the pain of truth was weighing down. “You still haven't asked what happened to my men. Well, I will tell you, we were ambushed by bandersooks, and every man but one was slaughtered.”

“Bandersook? Here?” Ayawa said incredulously.

“It sounds crazy, does it not?” Gersius replied and stood up, his frustration mounting. “Yet, it happened, hundreds of miles from the war, in a region they have never been known to inhabit. Somehow a massive force appears, finds me deep in the Greenwall, and waits until most of my men are asleep. Then attack from all directions to ensure I can provide no defense.”

“That sound unusually coordinated,” Tavis said with pain in his voice. “It's hard to believe that is a coincidence.”

“Indeed,” Ayawa agreed. “Bandersooks are wild animals. They rush in as a pack and flail about wildly. They don’t wait until the conditions favor them.”

“And yet it happened, and I lost all my men but one. I sent him back with a letter to explain my situation and pushed on alone. I had no hope of succeeding. How was one man ever going to defeat a dragon? Yet, when I find Lilly, she is badly injured and nearly dead. I tried with all my heart to heal her, only to fail with her wings.”

“That wasn’t your fault,” Thayle encouraged. “You did the best you could. Nobody could ask you for more.”

Gersius ran a hand through his wild hair as he began to pace, the memories bringing back the pain that came with them. He then explained the second ambush and how Lilly had to rescue him. He was still too weak from trying to heal her, and the bandersooks were once again massive in number. He clenched his hands into fists as he admitted his failure with Lilly. He led her into the trap at Whiteford despite the warnings both in heart and prayer. He ignored every ounce of advice, even from Thayle, who told him his place was in Calathen.

“I was just speaking from the heart,” Thayle said as she tried to calm him. “But you're a military order, and you were given a direct command from your superiors.”

“Superiors he could have ignored if they had made him a general,” Ayawa added.

“But they kept him a captain, so he had to obey,” Tavis agreed.

“You see,” Thayle urged. “We all understand why you did it. You had orders.”

“Yes, my orders,” Gersius growled and looked to the blue-haired woman who paid the price. “My orders cost Lilly the one thing she treasured most in life, her ability to fly.” He looked away, unable to hold her gaze as the weight of his sins bore down. “The whole time, I carried on in the belief that Astikar would protect us. I believed in my heart that we could walk through any danger because he would make our path straight. His hand would be over us as I did his will and would see us delivered to Calathen to save the empire. I prayed every day, offering him all I could give, holding nothing back. I did it all for his glory and because I trusted him, but look where we are now. Betrayed by his church, hunted by assassins, and running for our lives. This is where my faith has led me.”

They were all silent as Gersius finished, but Tavis began to see a pattern in the coincidences. He started to link the events together and realized there might be a broader picture.

“I hate to ask you this,” Tavis began as he stepped closer to Gersius. “But am I correct in saying that only the Father Abbot knew your route to Lilly's home?”

“That is correct,” Gersius replied. “I told no one else about it. Not even you.”

Tavis nodded as the picture became clearer. “And the route you planned to take back. Did you tell him that?” He wasn’t surprised at all when Gersius nodded. “Then the Father Abbot has been quite busy, hasn’t he?”

“What do you mean?” Gersius asked, lost as to where this was going.

“Think about it,” Tavis said as the picture became clear. “On the western battlefields, the enemy always moved to counter your advances as if he knew where you would be. Now you're saying you were ambushed twice by bandersooks, a messenger was practically waiting for you, and the Father Abbot mysteriously turns up in Whiteford. What other misfortunes have befallen you that can't be explained by chance?”

“I don’t understand,” Gersius replied with worry apparent on his face.

“It's all connected,” Tavis argued. “You were ordered to send regular reports about your position and what you intended to do. You were not allowed to take direct action without approval. Now think about it. To who did you send those reports? Who was the one person who knew where you were going to be? Who else could possibly be able to ambush you at every turn.”

“That can not be,” Gersius stammered while shaking his head.

“I agree,” Ayawa said. “You have to be wrong, Tavis.”

“How can either of you say that after what happened in Whiteford?” he argued and tore his hat away. “You were there, Ayawa. How many times did we scout the enemy to help him maneuver his army and ambush the enemy only to find them moving to ambush us?”

“I still can’t believe it,” Gersius said as pain crept into his voice. “I don’t understand why he would betray me, but I can’t believe he would betray the entire empire to the enemy.”

“All of you think,” Tavis urged and pointed at Gersius. “You sent reports to the Father Abbot about all your maneuvers, and the enemy subsequently moved to counter you. It happened every time except twice when you saw an opportunity but didn't have time to get permission. In those instances, you acted first then informed the Father Abbot what had happened.”

“And he scolded Gersius for it,” Ayawa said as the truth became clear. “How could we be so blind?”

Tavis nodded before cornering Gersius with an accusatory glare. “Now you say you were ambushed twice by bandersooks hundreds of miles from where they should be and along a secret route you didn't even tell us about. Then messengers are waiting for you, as is the Father Abbot, as if they already knew you would fail. You're ordered away from Calathen to a remote city where you are drugged, beaten, and then sentenced to death. All of which is done by the only person who knew where to find you. We understand why they tortured you, they wanted her name, but it's time we faced the truth. They never intended to let you be the dragon knight. You were never supposed to find a dragon.”

Gersius had the look of a man who had given up hope as he turned away, unable to answer.

“It's time we also started the other truth,” Tavis continued. “They didn't turn on you at Whiteford. They turned on you years ago in Calathen. Even before your mission began, they were trying to stop you. That's why you never got your promotion because it would have given you too much freedom to act.”

“I don’t understand this promotion thing?” Thayle interjected.

“The rank of general is equivalent to the rank of Father Abbot,” Ayawa answered. “If they had promoted him, he wouldn’t have needed the man’s approval to act. It would have changed everything in the west.”

“Which all ties into what I am saying,” Tavis finished. “So let me ask the question again. What other misfortunes have befallen you that can't be explained by chance? It might shed some light on what is truly going on.”

Gersius nodded and took a minute to replay the last few months, trying to remember anything that had gone wrong. He suddenly looked distraught and turned his gaze on Lilly, who was standing beside Thayle.

“Oh, merciful Astikar, please tell me I am wrong,” he mumbled.

“Wrong about what?” Ayawa asked as Gersius staggered to Lilly and took her hands.

“Lilly. I need you to tell me something,” he began as his voice became strained.

“What?” Lilly asked, growing frightened by his behavior.

“Did the red dragon that attacked you know you lived in that valley?” he asked.

“I don’t know,” she replied and pulled her hands away. “What does that have to do with anything?”

“Lilly, did the dragon know you somehow? Have you met somewhere else, or has any dragon ever been to your valley?” he pressed.

“I have never met that dragon before that day,” Lilly replied and leaned away from him. “I have no idea how he knew I lived there. I certainly didn't tell him, and I have never had another dragon in the valley who could have.”

“But you said you had seen two other dragons in the last hundred years,” Gersius pointed out.

“Yes, that red, and my mother,” Lilly replied as fear crawled up her spine.

“But you went to see your mother,” he asked as she nodded. “So there is no way you know of that the red dragon could have known you were in that valley?”

“He could have used the dream,” Lilly admitted. “But typically, only females seek dragons out that way. Otherwise, I have no idea how he found me, but it was obvious he knew where I was.”

“Then it is true,” Gersius said as a hunted look passed over his face. He turned away and staggered to the willow tree to lean against it for support.

“What are you on about?” Tavis asked after a moment.

“You are right. The Father Abbot has been behind all of this for a very long time,” Gersius replied. “He was the only one who knew the details and the only one who could have set those traps.”

“So why do you look sick?” Ayawa asked in concern.

“Because that isn't all I told him,” Gersius replied in shame. “I needed to find a dragon, so I had the scribes scour the libraries for books, reports, records, anything that spoke of dragons. I had them narrowed down to sightings made in the past one hundred years. We found two, one of which was the red, but he lives in the mountains far to the northwest. He is behind our enemy's lines and out of reach.”

“Then I must have been the other one,” Lilly said.

Gersius looked up with pain in his eyes and nodded his head. He took a minute to breathe then continued with his story, every word sounding even more strained.

“I found a single record, written by a fur trapper who claimed to have seen a blue dragon lairing in a valley. He claims to have followed a river through a narrow canyon while looking for beaver dens. He was in your valley less than an hour when you flew out of your cave. He was so frightened he left his horse behind and fled to report the discovery to the closest town. They didn’t believe him, but they filed a report, and that report made its way to Calathen.”

“So?” Lilly asked with a shrug.

“I took that report and told no about it,” Gersius said as his eyes began to moisten. “Except the Father Abbot.”

Thayle gasped as Ayawa cursed her native tongue. Tavis had to look away, his face going pale to see the sheer pain in the eyes of his friend. Lilly looked around confused, but the others offered no answer, so she turned back to Gerisus and told him she didn't understand.

“It is my fault,” Gersius admitted as his soul died inside. “I told the Father Abbot where you were. I don’t l know how he managed it, but he must be the one who sent that dragon.”

“You’re the reason the dragon came to my valley?” Lilly asked slowly as if in shock.

“I didn't mean it,” he pleaded. “I just needed your help. I had no idea the Father Abbot was working against me; I was just trying to save my people.”

“Your people?” Lilly repeated as her lips started to tremble. “Your wicked, vile people!” she snarled as her hands curled.

“Lilly, please,” Gersius begged. “They are not like that. They don’t deserve your hate.”

“Did I deserve to have my wings cut off for the sake of your people?” she shouted back. “First, your order tries to kill me, then they butcher me and make me pet. No, I was less than a pet; I was a beast chained and beaten until they had use of me. You can't deny how vile your kind is because I saw it first hand. Those people laughed and cheered to see me so abused, and it's all your fault!”

“Lilly, that isn’t fair,” Thayle interjected as Lilly’s aura glowed red like a star. “He couldn’t have known this was going to happen. He was betrayed by people he should have been able to trust.”

“And my wings are gone!” Lilly shouted. “I don't care about his trust. He is the one who told them where I was and sent them to me. He found me dying because of what he did! Everything humiliation I have suffered is his doing. He may as well have broken my wings himself.”

“Lilly, Please. I was trying to do what was right,” Gersius begged.

“You call this right?” Lilly growled and turned on him with fire in her eyes. “Every foul thing that has happened to me is because you wanted to save our miserable little rodent people. Is it right that I should have to suffer like this for them? You are not my people! You are not my kind! You are nothing to me!”

“But in the end, fool girl, it wasn’t one of us who broke your wings,” Ayawa said in an angry tone.

Lilly whirled around and locked Ayawa’s gaze with one full of rage. Ayawa didn’t flinch as Lilly walked right up to her and demanded to know what she meant.

“You are right, we are not your people or your kind, but we didn’t attack you. That was done by one that was of your people and kind. Gersius might have accidentally alerted them to your presence, but it was a dragon who came and did the deed. Unless you can claim Gersius was in control of that dragon, you have no one to blame but your kind.”

Lilly's face was locked in a scowl as she trembled from head to toe. It looked for a moment like she might lash out at Ayawa, but all she did was turn away with a shout.

“I hate you all!” she said and headed down the road away from them.

“Lilly!” Gersius called and went to follow, but Thayle grabbed his arm.

“No, she is too angry at you right now. Let me talk to her,” Thayle pleaded.

“I need to make her understand,” Gersius cried, but to Thayle's surprise, Ayawa took his other arm and spoke softly.

“The priestess understands Lilly better than any of us, and I have to admit was right about her all along. You will only cause more harm if you go after her now. Let Thayle talk to her; she will bring her back.” Thayle thanked her and ran down the road to catch Lilly as Gersius watched his only reason to go on flee him in anger.

Lilly ran for several minutes, desperate to be away from the source of her pain. Eventually, she slowed to a walk with eyes full of tears while seething in rage. She spoke to herself, lamenting that she ever trusted him while trying to dry her eyes. The pain was so engrossing that she didn't notice Thayle catch up and fall in behind her.

“Where are you going, Lilly?” Thayle called.

Lilly was shocked the woman was there but didn't bother to slow or look back. She was determined to go home and be rid of these vermin forever.

“Go away, rodent!” she answered with anger. “I don't want any more dealings with your kind!”

“Of course, you don't. Not after what you just learned, but you're making a terrible mistake by leaving,” Thayle insisted.

“The only mistake I made was letting him bind me,” Lilly argued. “I should have died in my valley. It would have been more dignified.”

“You're only saying that because you're angry, but you don't know what you're angry about,’ Thayle countered. “I know why you're angry and why your suffering inside.”

“You think you know why I am angry?” Lilly roared and turned around to confront Thayle. Her face was full of anger, made all the more frightening by her burning eyes. It was all Thayle could do to hold her gaze as Lilly went on.

“You think you know why I am suffering?” She paused as her words choked, and she had to start over. “I believed him,” she cried. “I thought he liked me and that we were,” she paused to search for the word. “Something! But everything I have suffered these past weeks is his fault.”

“It isn’t his fault,” Thayle insisted and folded her arms. “And that isn’t why you’re angry.”

“My wings are gone!” Lilly roared. “How is that not his fault?”

“Gersius is a good man who was betrayed by those he trusted. No matter how you try to see it, all of this falls on their heads,” Thayle said.

“No, it was his need to save his wicked rodent people that caused this. I paid the price for his wicked plan,” she countered.

Thayle could see the pain flaring through Lilly's aura, but that she stopped to debate it showed there was still hope. She needed to engage Lilly logically and make her face the truth.

“Gersius never wanted to hurt you or anybody else. I know he expected to battle you, but he knew as little about you as you do of us. He assumed you would be a wild beast that would only deal with him if he subdued you,” Thayle said.

“He was right!” Lilly spat. “I would never have agreed to help him if I hadn’t been dying. I doubt I would even have stopped to speak with him. I would have killed and eaten him then dragged his metal back to my hoard.”

“Good, but let's assume you weren't injured when you met Gersius and his men. You would have attacked, and they would have worked together to bring you down. Who would have won?” Thayle asked.

“Go away, priestess,” Lilly growled and walked off. “I have no more patience for you.”

Thayle saw the pang of frustration in Lilly’s aura and knew she was on the right track. She walked after the dragon refusing to let her ignore the truth.

“You know who would have won. You couldn't manage Dellain and his men, and from what I hear, Gersius is even stronger,” she said.

Lilly turned around with murder in her eyes and waved a finger in Thayle’s face.

I only know that name because of Gersius and what he put me through! So what of it? He probably would have beaten me. He might even have forced me to give him my true name. So what?”

“So, let’s assume he did,” Thayle pressed. “Do you think he would have treated you any differently?”

“Why would you ask that?” Lilly roared.

“Think about it. If he had to battle you to get your name, I bet he would still have treated you with kindness and respect. He would still have given you the name Lilly and bought you the gifts.’

“What are you trying to prove?” Lilly demanded.

“I am trying to prove to you that he would have taken you by the hand and treated you like gold no matter how it played out,” Thayle said.

Lilly stalked closer, her head down so that her eyes glowed as narrow slits. She thrust her finger at Thayle with every word, aggressively making her point.

“You watch your tongue, little rodent! I should kill you and eat your carcass just to remind them that I am a dragon,” she growled.

Thayle saw the threat in Lilly's aura, but there was something else. The colors of remorse were starting to show, and Lilly was in turmoil. All she needed to do was get Lilly to remember the good moments and realize that what happened really didn’t matter.

“I am not trying to make you angry,” Thayle said and held her ground. “I just want you to understand that even if that dragon hadn't come, Gersius would have, and you would still be here, now.”

“How would I be here?” she demanded.

“Because you would still have gotten the message to go to Whiteford. You would have been captured, taken from him, and gone through all that suffering. The only difference is you would still have your wings.”

“That’s exactly my point!” she cried into Thayle’s face. “I would have my wings!”

“Does that really make any difference?” Thayle asked with a shake of her head.

“Of course it does!” Lilly shouted and began to pace the road. “I want to fly again!”

“And would Dellain have allowed you to fly free?” Thayle said with a slight smile.

“Now you are twisting the story,” Lilly countered. “In your story, everything happens the same except our initial meeting. So, I escape with my wings, and when he sets me free, I would fly home never to see you wicked rodents again.”

“Would you?” Thayle pressed.

“Yes!” Lilly spat and stamped afoot.

“I know for a fact that you wouldn’t,” Thayle replied smugly.

“And how do you know that?” Lilly demanded.

“Because when he set you free, you still vividly remembered what he suffered to protect your name. You felt something for him because he was willing to die to protect you. That feeling only grew stronger as you traveled together, and now it’s tearing you apart,” Thayle said.

“You can’t possibly know any of this,” Lilly said while dismissing her.

“Oh, I can’t?” Thayle laughed and put her hands on her hips. “Tell me, do you know how a lover’s mark works?”

“Why are you changing the topic?” Lilly asked defensively as her aura flared with uncertainty.

“I thought so,” Thayle said as her smile grew wider. “It's a blessed token used to show a bond. You give it to the one you love, and it creates a magical link. It allows you to feel in what direction a loved one is, and know if they are hurting.”

“You tire me with your rodent nonsense,” Lilly said and turned away.

Thayle detected the change in her tone and saw the red light beginning to waiver. Lilly was thinking about the past now, trying desperately to justify her feelings. Now was the time to hammer the point home and force her to admit the truth.

“You can walk away all you want, but it doesn't change the truth,” Thayle called after her. “I know what the truth is because you used the mark to find Gersius last night.”

“So?” Lilly called as she walked away.

“The mark only works if the person who gives it is truly in love,” Thayle answered and waited for the reaction.

Lilly came to a halt as her hands balled into fists. Thayle could see the flashing of a choice in her aura, but Lilly wasn't ready to give in just yet.

“I don’t know what love is, and I don’t want to,” Lilly replied without ever looking back. She started to walk again as her aura filled with remorse.

“You know very well what love is. You just refuse to admit it,” Thayle said while walking to keep pace with her.

“I am a dragon,” Lilly said. “Gersius once told me that I love my gold, and he's right. That is enough love for me.”

“Yes, so much of what you do and say is because of Gersius. He has taken you by the hand and taught you everything you know about us,” Thayle replied.

Lilly stopped as her aura began to flood with emotional pain. She was having second thoughts, but the pain implored her to keep running. Thayle knew it was time to bring up more memories and remind Lilly that she was happy with him.

“Do you remember defending yourself to Ayawa?” Thayle asked. “You told her that he was kind to you. Then, you made a big deal about how he bought you that dress and necklace.”

“I was wrong,” Lilly said with her head hung low.

“No, you weren't,” Thayle urged. “You were touched by his kindness. You were so moved by what he did for you on the road and in Whiteford that you said you would follow him to Calathen bound or unbound.”

“I don't feel that way anymore,” Lilly said with a sniffle as her voice started to strain.

“Lilly,” Thayle sighed. “You know you can’t hide your feelings from me. Tell me the truth. When you leaned against him with your head on his shoulder, how did you feel?”

“I don't know,” Lilly said with a voice about to cry. “I felt something.”

“And when he put his arm around you and held you tight. Do you remember how you felt?” Thayle pried as Lilly’s aura flared with conflict.

“I didn’t feel anything,” Lilly lied, her aura betraying the truth.

“You can't lie to me,” Thayle said with a sad tone. “Not only can I see the lie in your aura, but I saw you that night. I already know what you felt. I just want you to admit it.”

Lilly shook her head as her thoughts jumbled up and drowned in emotions she had never felt before in her life. She wanted to argue and tell Thayle she was wrong but knew deep down that wasn't the truth.

“I don’t know what I felt,” she admitted as her voice softened. “It was something new, something I have never felt before. I don’t know what it was, but I wanted him to hold me.”

“And you slept in his arms all night long,” Thayle reminded.

“What does that have to do with anything?” Lilly asked as tears began to drop to the group.

“That night, I saw something wonderful,” Thayle replied and dared to step closer. “You and he were at peace and happy to be together. I have only seen you like that three times since I have met you. Two were those nights we camped in the wild, and one was the day he danced with you.”

Lilly's aura flared with light as she remembered the night of the wedding. She thought of the food, music, and Gersius asking her to dance. Her anger began to bleed away as she remembered his arm around her waist, holding her close as they swayed around the field surrounded by apple trees. The memory came with more pain and a profound sense of loss. Deep inside, the twisting returned, forming a knot in her stomach. It was another emotion she had no word for, and this time it was much worse. It rose like a wild beast and tore at her heart, making her question everything. Her lips began to tremble as tears washed down quivering cheeks, the conflict becoming unbearable.

“I don’t understand, Thayle,” Lilly wailed and folded her arms over her stomach. “I hurt so badly inside.”

Thayle smiled as Lilly finally looked inward and saw the truth.

“Welcome to love, sweet Lilly,” she said.

“It is a terrible thing!” Lilly hissed, spilling out the last of her anger.

“It can be sometimes, especially in the beginning when everything is in doubt and uncertain. But once it blooms, it becomes the most beautiful thing in all creation,” Thayle said reassuringly and put a hand on Lilly’s shoulder. “Lilly, I have seen his light, and I am here to tell you that Gersius loves you. He may not have said it yet, but he loves you, and I know you love him.”

“But I am a dragon,” Lilly said as she shook her head in disbelief. “I can’t love somebody. We dragons don’t even have a word for love.”

“Lilly, you do love,” Thayle urged with a soft tone. “Listen, this is why you’re in so much pain. You love Gersius, and hearing that he might be partially responsible for your wings is hurting you. It always hurts more when a lover disappoints.”

“But why does it hurt so much?” Lilly pleaded.

“Because you're fighting it. You refuse to admit how you feel and allow it to grow,” Thayle said.

“No! This can't be! I can't be! This is a fool rodent thing!” She struggled to complete a sentence as her eyes went wide, looking to Thayle for help. “I am a dragon! This isn't right. How do I fix it? How do I make it go away?”

“You can’t,” Thayle laughed. “Sometimes people fall out of love, but that isn’t something you can force to happen.”

“Then what do I do?” Lilly pleaded.

“Lilly, sweetheart. There is only one thing you can do. You have to let him love you, and you have to admit to yourself that you love him,” Thayle said.

“No!” Lilly yelled and tore away from Thayle. She stumbled back with a hand up to ward Thayle off as she tried to think of an answer. “There must be some way to fix this! There must be something you can do. I am a dragon!”

“Who is in love with a human,” Thayle replied with a smile.

“No!” Lilly shouted again and kept moving back. “I know! I can fix this!” she cried while looking around as if the answer could be found nearby. “I will tell him I don’t love him,” she finally said defiantly.

“Be my guest,” Thayle laughed mockingly. “Walk right back there and tell him you don't love him. Then try to explain why you planted a lover's mark on him, and it worked.”

“I will think of something!” Lilly shouted in protest to Thayle’s logic.

“I won’t stop you,” Thayle said with a shrug. “In fact, if you can look him in the face and tell him you don’t love him, I won’t try to talk you out of it anymore. So go, get it over with and see how you feel.”

Lilly stood motionless except for the tears that ran down pale cheeks. She tried to mutter a protest, but all she managed was a soft cry.

“Is something wrong?” Thayle prodded as her smile grew wider.

“I, can’t, do it!” Lilly wailed and covered her face as she started to cry uncontrollably.

Thayle was at her side in a moment, supporting her with a warm embrace.

“Shh, sweetheart. You’re not alone in this. You have me by your side, and I will help you understand the things you feel,” she whispered to the wounded dragon.

“I’m scared,” Lilly stammered through pouring tears.

“That means your love is strong,” Thayle said and held her tight.

2