1-20 The Rivers End
16 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The barge set out with the morning light, sailing upstream for hours. Lilly sat in her usual place at the rear of this while Thayle tried to comfort Gersius with the others. He was concerned that Lilly was too angry to forgive him, but Thayle didn't believe that was the case. Something else was bothering Lilly, and it didn't have to do with her wings. In the hopes of finding out, Gersius suggested she talk to Lilly to gain more insight.

Thayle sat beside the upset dragon for the next two hours as Lilly struggled with her place. She was hurt over what Gersius said the night before, forcing Thayle to explain his motives again. Lilly nodded as she was told how he was afraid that keeping her close would bring her more harm. Thayle did her best to help Lilly understand that this was a very selfless point of view. As badly as he needed a dragon, he wasn't willing to use Lilly for his goals. She meant too much to him now, and he wanted her help, but only if it was what she wanted. In the end, the only thing that mattered to Gersius was if Lilly was happy.

“He wants me to be happy?” Lilly asked with sad eyes.

“Of course he does,” Thayle insisted. “You have to try and understand how he feels. He can’t forgive himself for what happened to your wings, and he doesn’t believe you will either.”

“So he wants me to stay but says I should go home because staying isn't safe for me?” Lilly asked.

“That is exactly how he feels,” Thayle said and put a hand on Lilly’s knee. “I hate to say this, but he isn’t going to get over this fear unless you talk to him. He needs you to reassure him that things are going to be alright.”

Lilly sighed and stared into the water a moment before asking Thayle to send him back so she could talk to him alone. Thayle was delighted and rushed to tell Gersius that Lilly wanted to talk to him alone. She urged him to be gentle and let Lilly tell him what was on her mind. Above all else, he had to be the rock she had come to trust in. Lilly would likely run home to hide if he couldn't hold her hand through the storm. He questioned if this was a wise idea, but Thayle wouldn't let him back out. She was ready to talk, and he needed to be the man who always knew what to do. He walked to the back of the ship as Ayawa came to stand behind Thayle with a frown creasing her face.

“You're meddling again,” she said in an accusatory tone. “Why won't you let this die and spare him the pain?”

“This wasn't meant to die,” Thayle replied without looking back. “I swear on my faith I am going to meddle in this until Ulustrah herself orders me to stop.”

“His pain is on your head,” Ayawa said with a sigh. “I hope this doesn’t come back to bite you.”

Thayle watched as Gersius moved to Lilly’s side and sat beside her. She sincerely hoped Ayawa wasn’t right.

Lilly looked up with pain in her eyes at the man she felt such twisting conflict over. He sat beside her, and their eyes met before both of them turned to look at the water. Inside everything seemed to shift and churn, emotions she had no concept of, making it hard to think. The only familiar thing was the anger, but she did her best not to turn it on him. She wanted more than anything for him to put his arm around her back and say he would keep her safe, but instead, he said what she didn't want to hear.

“I am sorry,” he said and glanced her way.

Suddenly that anger had an outlet as Gersius assumed responsibility for her wings again. Lilly knew the Father Abbot was to blame. Thayle explained it a dozen times, but somehow his passive admission undid all that work. Before she knew what she was doing, her mouth opened in anger, and she spoke with venom.

“Stop saying you're sorry,” she hissed. “I keep trying to forget this pain, but it comes back every time you apologize. I wish you would just leave it alone and let me heal.”

“How do I help?” he asked in confusion.

“You help by listening to what I am about to say,” Lilly stammered without looking at him. “I forgive you. I know you didn't do this to me directly, and Thayle has tried to explain how you were used just as badly. Let's blame the Father Abbot and not each other.”

Gersius sighed and glanced her way to see a tear running down the gentle woman's cheek. For the first time in his life, he felt uncertain. Even when the hope of saving his people was lost, he knew what had to be done. He went on with the mission to die a hero, determined to face his fate like a man. But this pain wasn't his to suffer, and Lilly was so difficult to read. With a sigh, he admitted being uncertain and that he never wanted this to happen.

“I wish none of it had happened,” Lilly replied and looked his way. She felt the anger welling and tried to bite it back as she explained how she wished to be back in her cave, sleeping and dreaming about flying.

“I will never forgive myself for what happened to your wings,” Gersius said just as Thayle said he would.

Lilly took a few calming breaths as her gaze went back to the water. All she wanted was to be held like he did that first day when she was crying. Why was it so hard for him to see that? Why didn't he want to comfort this pain? Thayle said she needed to reassure him, but how did she do that? He felt so distant and disconnected now, and she didn't know how to reach him. In desperation, she decided to spell out her understanding of it, hoping it would help.

“You should forgive yourself,” she said while looking down. “Thayle has assured me you are not to blame. She tried to explain your human concepts of honor and duty, but I don't understand them. All I know is you were duty-bound to do what you did, and the Father Abbot used that to control you. You were only trying to do what was right, and he turned your efforts into my pain.”

“He betrayed everything I believed in,” Gersius replied.

“Which is why you don't need me to forgive you. If it helps, I will say I do, but Thayle says you need to forgive yourself,” Lilly insisted and looked at him with hope. “I am still going with you to Calathen.”

Gersius looked up dumbfounded and didn't say a word for a long moment. When he spoke, all he could do was question why she would still want to help. Lilly knew the answer was because he needed to go there, and she so badly wanted to stay with him. But she couldn't manage to put the words together, so she fell back on a simpler explanation.

“I made you a promise that first day we met in my valley. I promised to go with you to Calathen if you healed me.” She leaned close to stare into his eyes, hoping her next words would have the impact they needed. “You healed me as best you could, so I will go where you need me.”

“But you never promised to suffer for my quest,” he said and nearly reached up to touch her.

“Did you promise to suffer for me?” Lilly asked as she withdrew. “Was the promise to keep my name worth all that pain and misery? I saw what you looked like when they dragged you out to mock you before that crowd. I could smell the blood and burned skin as you suffered from wounds.”

“I knew there would be a price to pay,” Gersius replied. “I admit I had no idea it would be so terrible, but I was prepared to die to accomplish my goals.”

“Which is why you had the courage to enter my valley,” Lilly added before returning to the water. “Terrible things have happened to both of us, and one man is responsible for it all. He is the reason my wings are gone, and you had to endure all that pain. We both made our promises, and we both suffered for them.”

“But I can walk away from my suffering,” Gersius said with a strained voice. “You will carry yours for the rest of your life.”

Lilly looked away as fresh tears poured from her eyes. His words were true, and they stabbed to the core of her being. If only she had her wings back, maybe this would all be so much easier to do. She decided not to dwell on a false dream and instead turned her focus back to a growing concern.

“You have changed,” she said with a sniff. “You used to pray to your god every morning. You always knew where to go and what to say. You once told me that I had a fire a belly, but now I think that you do not.”

Gersius smiled at her attempt to use the analogy he once used to describe her. For the most part, she was right; he didn't have the same passion or motivation because he no longer had a purpose. His whole life was in service to a God he no longer wished to serve, and his mission to save the empire was over. He was on the run and hunted by assassins; what purpose was there now except survival?

“Do you have nothing to say?” Lilly asked.

“What you are describing is a lack of purpose,” Gersius replied. “I no longer know what the right thing to do is anymore. Because my previous decisions have hurt you, I question whether I have the ability to choose a good path. I was certain that taking you to Calathen was a noble and righteous path, but it has caused nothing but pain.”

“Maybe the pain is over now?” Lilly asked. “We could still go?”

“No,” Gersius said and shook his head. “That is the one thing I am sure of. If we attempt to go to Calathen, our steps will be bathed in blood, and the risk of suffering will be great.”

“So, you don’t know what to do?” Lilly pressed and glanced his way. “You are afraid?”

“I am terrified,” Gersius admitted. “My whole life is built on faith in the God Astikar. It has guided all my decisions and given me a sense of direction. I would never have gone on this quest to find you if I hadn't been so devoted to one purpose. But Astikar answered the call of wicked men who used his power to trap you and torture me. I can no longer see him as a just and noble god, and no matter how I try, my heart burns with anger for him. Without my faith, I have no guiding light. I don't know what to do, and I am afraid that any choice I make might bring more harm to you.”

“That’s why you told me to go home,” Lilly sighed. “You are afraid you will hurt me again.”

Gersius nodded as a tear fell from his own eyes. He explained how he couldn't bear to think about what they did to her. It was his sincere desire that she never be put in harm's way again. Lilly was suddenly moved as he spoke protectively, and the twisting returned. She folded her arms and rocked gently in an effort to clear her head. She had no idea what this feeling meant and even less understanding of what to do with it. Once again, all she could do was focus on him and try to understand what he was going through. His faith was his strength, and he was lost like a leaf blowing in the wind without it. She struggled to understand and realized that a moment like this had happened before. It was in a dark barn where he explained why he needed her, and his pain came pouring out. Lilly felt the twisting driving her on as she did something that, at the time, was hard to believe. She put her arm around him as he had done for her, hoping it would offer him comfort. She realized that this moment had come again and put her arm around him once more, hoping it would help.

“Why did you suffer for me?” she asked as they leaned into one another. “I am a dragon. Why would you, a man, be willing to suffer such terrible pain for me?”

“I promised never to reveal your name,” he replied and wiped at his eyes. “And I never break a promise. One day you will come to understand honor and realize how important it is to do what you say.”

“So you did all that just because you promised?” Lilly asked, hoping it was something more. Thayle made it sound like he had a great need of her affections, but this felt more like an obligation. She waited for his answer and wanted to scream when he nodded his head. Her arm came away as the twisting suddenly felt like rejection. With closed eyes, Lilly asked him to go back to the others so she could be alone. She listened to every step as he walked off, hoping he didn't know she was crying.

Later that day, the landing for Eastgate came into view, but not the city itself. Thayle explained that this was as far up the riverboats could travel, and they would have to walk the rest of the way. Lilly could see that the river became a series of choppy waterfalls, working their way down from a ledge high above. Thayle said the city was on the ridge, and they would have to take the stairs or the high road to get up.

The boat was maneuvered along a wooden pier and quickly tied off as they bid the captain farewell. He waved them off before barking to his crew to start unloading the cargo. Lilly walked beside Thayle as she explained the town they were now entering was called Riverside, but it was technically part of Eastgate. It was a dense town made of stone with wide lanes full of carts and wagons. Thayle explained that these were to help get cargo to and from the waterfront using the high road.

Tavis finally asked about the stairs and the road, so Thayle explained their options. The highroad was a long, gently sloping ramp that wound its way up the ledge. It was an easy trip but one that would take nearly an hour. The stairs were cut into the cliff and went directly to the top, but there were many steps, and people often found them tiring to climb. Ayawa suggested hiring a wagon to carry them up the high road, but Tavis shook his head. He offered to use his weave to make them lighter so the stairs would be easy to climb.

Gersius suggested they take the stairs, so Tavis set about making them lighter. Lilly found the sensation of being so light to be disturbing and began to hop to test how high she could go. The others noticed her playful moment and tried not to steal the first happiness she had shown in days. The stairs turned out to be a great flight of steps, wide enough for ten men to walk abreast. They were cut into the rock, creating a passage with steep walls that went right up. But, just as Tavis said, they were easy to negotiate, and in minutes the final steps passed by, and Lilly looked on in wonder.

Before her was a vast open plain of flat stone surrounded by towering mountains on all sides. A massive wall studded by square towers protected a city at the base of steep cliffs. The imposing structures reached into the sky like teeth and prickled with stone spikes at the corners. The city was hidden behind the impressive barrier, but some buildings rose high enough to be seen. These were primarily towers or great spires often decorated with flowing banners.

A broad roadway cut into the rock led straight to a massive gate on the far wall. To the left of the road, the land was irrigated into shallow pools where a plant Thayle called rice was grown. There were different plants on the other side, and Thayle recounted how her order had to work hard blessing the crops to get them to grow in such poor soils. Thankfully this city contained one of the largest temples to her order and was the home of its most prominent leader. There would be thirty or more active members, as well as dozens of acolytes training to become priests and priestesses.

“So all of this growth is because of your order?” Tavis asked.

“Not all of it,” Thayle said. “The rice grows well in this climate, and there are fields of cabbage in the east that need very little of our attention. We do most of our work inside the city where people wish to grow flowers that don’t survive well here. Many of the nobles pay us to maintain lavish gardens and private farms. There is even a rose festival once a year. We hold it in honor of the largest temple to our lady, the rose temple far to the west. It contains the largest mirror dedicated to our goddess and houses her sacred artifacts.”

“Why isn't the head of your order there?” Ayawa asked as it seemed strange he would be in a lesser temple.

“He isn't a vain man, and Eastgate is special to him,” Thayle replied. “Besides, he says his work here isn't done, and there was already a prime in the temples region.”

“A prime?” Lilly asked as the term meant nothing to her.

“It's the title we give our chosen leaders,” Thayle said with a glance at Lilly. “The whole land is divided into regions, and each one is headed by a prime. They, in turn, form the council of primes, and the most senior of their number is their head.”

“And that man is in this city?” Gersius asked.

“He is,” Thayle replied. “His name is Arlin, and he is a good man.”

Lilly thought of Gersius and wished he was holding her hand when Thayle said Arlin was a good man. She wanted to speak to him but found it difficult to start a conversation. Even looking at him now stirred touches of anger and made her wish he had never realized his role in her wings. With a sigh, she decided to distract herself and asked why this city had such massive walls. To her surprise, it was Gersius who answered her question.

“This city sits on one of the wealthiest trading routes to the far east. There are few passes through the mountains, and this is the most prominent of them. As such, it has been attacked many times by those seeking to claim its wealth and trade routes.”

“But why did they put those spikes on the walls and towers? Are they to keep away dragons?” Lilly asked as only a flying dragon would find them dangerous.

“Intimidation,” Gersius replied and glanced her way. “They don’t serve any true tactical purpose, but they help make the walls look dangerous. An invading army might turn back if they see so threatening a visage.”

It was the most civil conversation they'd had since the revelation on the road. Lilly wanted to keep the words flowing, but their eyes met, and suddenly her words were gone. Something inside twisted and turned, but she had no concept of what it meant and began to panic. Without another word, she looked away, earning a sigh from Thayle, who was carefully watching the exchange.

They walked for a good twenty minutes, the walls growing ever larger as they approached. The gates were wide enough for thirty men to walk side by side and stood open as twenty men stood to either side. Lilly was impressed by how tall the gate tower was and wondered if she could reach the ceiling in her dragon form. The men stared with curious expressions but nodded to Thayle when they recognized her Ulustrah robes. They were allowed to pass under the archway without a word as Tavis took notice of the fortifications.

“They take defense very seriously here,” he said and pointed to holes in the ceiling. He told the others these were most likely used to pour boiling oil, or worse, burning pitch onto would-be invaders.

“Sadly, that is what they are for,” Thayle agreed and looked around at the others. “The city has been attacked a dozen times since I started as a priestess. The largest attack came from the eastern sands by a rampaging prince. I was here for two of the sieges and witnessed firsthand how hard it is to break this cities walls.”

“If you don’t mind my asking, how did it end?” Tavis questioned as they passed into the street beyond the gates.

“They packed up and went home,” Thayle laughed. “The fools tried to starve us out, but you can't starve out a city full of the faithful of Ulustrah. When we work together, we can grow food from seed to harvest in minutes and quickly fortify the cities reserves.”

“Still, there are only a handful of you compared to the tens of thousands of ordinary people,” Ayawa pointed out. “You couldn’t possibly have fed that many, even with your blessings.”

Thayle nodded and explained that large invading armies are often detected days, if not weeks, in advance. If the prime suspects a threat, he will call in extra women from the surrounding lands, especially those in the path of the approaching army. These will be put to use blessing the fields outside the city to bring them to harvest before the army arrives. Then it's all collected and brought into the city before the gates are shut.

“So you stockpile food in advance,” Tavis surmised with a nod of understanding.

“Yes, but even so, the city being at the base of the mountains offers some additional advantages. There are terrace gardens built up the slope to provide additional food in times of need. Once the gates are shut, we are hard at work in those gardens, often turning over a full harvest every two or three days. It isn't enough to feed the whole city, but it slows the depletion of our resources and can drag a siege out for over a year.”

“And your enemy can't grow food so easily on the rocky plateau,” Gersius said as he understood the difficulty of logistics.

“But what if the enemy has priestesses of Ulustrah of his own?” Tavis asked.

“That has happened before,” Thayle admitted with a sad tone. “It's rare, but there have been instances where women believed a particular cause was just and lent their aid. Normally we stay out of conflicts between kingdoms, but a prime can choose to render aid if they see fit. However, sometimes a lesser priestess will lend her temples support despite the wishes of her prime. We even had an instance where one prime marched against another. It's difficult to understand when politics are at play, but matters of the heart often create strange alliances.”

“They do indeed,” Gersius agreed but questioned why Ulustrah would allow her servants to fight one another.

“It isn’t a question of allowing,” Thayle said with a shake of her head. “She is like all the other divines and does not deny the use of her power so long as the caller believes they are doing so with a pure heart.”

“But surely one side must be in the wrong,” Gersius pressed.

“From whose point of view?” Thayle asked. “What if one region is under a famine while another has abundant food. The region with abundant food charges too high a price, sending the stricken region into poverty as well as famine. Would you blame the women there for lending their aid when the stricken region decided to march on the abundant region to claim the food? Would you blame the women in the abundant region for defending the land and people they are tasked to protect?”

“Shouldn’t the primes have intervened and sent more women to aid against the famine?” Gersius asked.

“Unfortunately, our numbers are not as great as one might think,” Thayle lamented with a hint of pain in her tone. “We have a tendency to lose women to other purposes over time, and I would rather not talk about it. The primes do their best, and of course, they would scramble to relieve a famine-stricken area, but sometimes that leads to conflict anyway. We accidentally started a war by sending too many women into a particularly arid region. We didn't realize that several of the surrounding lands relied on the trade of foodstuffs to that region. By altering the balance of need, we disrupted the economy of the surrounding land and started a series of bloody wars.”

“The balance of power and politics can be a tricky thing,” Gersius said as he understood how easily the servants of Ulustrah could alter economies.

Lilly listened to it all but was more concerned by the city around her. It was alive with people going about their lives and occasionally watching the group pass. She caught more than one person staring with a curious expression and taking notice of her long blue hair. She was nervous about being around so many humans and, on reflex, reached for Thayle's hand. She was quickly rewarded with a firm clasp and a bright smile as the twisting returned to her stomach.

All around, there was activity as Thayle led them through the busy streets. People called out with wares to sell as smoke laden with the scent of cooked meats wafted through the air. One thing that captivated Lilly was the clothing worn by the women ranging from simple wraps to elaborate dresses. Some were covered in lace and ruffles, while others were simple but colorful. In fact, the wide range of colors dazzled her but not as much as their hair. Lilly had seen braids before, especially on Ayawa, whose hair was always braided. However, the women here wore braids held up with pins or tied with ribbon into intricate designs. Some even wore small hats, covered with feathers or fancy lace. A few had mysterious colors under their eyes and richly painted lips that made their faces stand out in the crowd. Lilly began to point and ask Thayle questioned about why they looked the way they did, but Thayle only told her she had a lot to learn about being a human woman.

Thayle pointed out some important places while giving a brief history of the city. She eventually took them to the widest road Lilly had ever seen. Thayle announced that this was the east road, and it ran straight through the city and out the mountain gate that the city took its name from. It was wide enough for seventy men to walk abreast and decorated by stone planters as large as a horse. These were filled with flowers and greenery that spilled over the sides in striking displays of color. Thayle said that her order took care of the planters as part of their service to the city. It helped soften the hard look of the gray stone quarried from the mountains and used to build everything.

While the street was much larger than the others, it seemed almost as crowded. Aside from the people, there were now wagons and carts laden with goods. They were pulled by teams of horses as they headed to and from the mountain gate on their way to unknown destinations. The south side of the road was composed of tall multi-story shops and grand houses that spoke of wealth. However, it was the north side where all the important buildings were. These stood at the base of the mountains, and some were built directly into the stone. There were natural canyons flattened into roads in several places with additional buildings built into the walls. The further they traveled, the grander the buildings became, rising up the cliff face a dozen layers or more and carved with fanciful designs. In one area, the cliff receded, and the city was built in steps with buildings on every level. Thayle called this the lord's district as it was where many of the local nobility kept private houses and gardens.

Lilly was amazed by the works crafted with human hands. She compared it to the holes dug by dragons and began to wonder if perhaps there was something a dragon could learn from men. This feeling grew as they entered the temple district, and the buildings suddenly became even more ornate and adorned with statues.

Thayle took them to a towering building cut with great care to detail into the mountain. The outer wall was dominated by tall windows and pillars etched with patterns that resembled vines. There were statues in arched alcoves of women holding stone bowls to the sky as if praising the unseen goddess. Every window had a box full of living plants that trailed down the wall in blankets of color. A small outer wall circled a garden dominated by a stone basin as wide as Lilly was tall. It contained water that looked almost metallic as it reflected the sky above with mirror precision. The rest of the yard contained more statues and gardens full of flowers Lilly had never seen before. They ascended a flight of steps to an open gate made of decorative iron bars and entered the yard as Lilly looked all about.

A single man in green robes, much like Thayle's, was walking along one of the garden beds. He sang a low song while sprinkling water from a silver bowl over the flowers to dramatic effect. Lilly watched the plants move and grow, bursting with new growth and vibrant flowers. She wanted to watch for a bit longer, but Thayle approached the man and addressed him.

“Blessings of Ulustrah on you,” she said with a bow of her head.

The man looked up, and his gaze swept over Thayle's green robe with golden vines. He smiled ever so slightly as if recognizing who she was.

“Blessing of Ulustrah on you and your companions,” he responded and set his silver bowl aside. He threw back the green hood allowing Lilly to finally see that he had not a single hair on his head. She thought the look was funny, but the man had kind eyes and a pleasant smile. He welcomed them to the temple of Ulustrah with a deep bowl, then asked how he might be of service. Thayle requested an audience with the prime and specified that she had come to make a request for aid.

“Of course, Priestess Thayle,” the man replied as his smile grew wider. “Please, come this way. I will take you to Prime Arlin.”

Thayle smiled that she had been recognized but was well aware that she was known to many in this temple. This was where she received the bulk of her training and forged some powerful friendships. However, it was also a place that harbored some bad memories, and she had hoped never to come back here. With no choice but to go on, she followed the man into the temple, the memories from years ago suddenly flooding back.

The doors were easily twelve feet high but perhaps only eight across. They were made of light-colored wood and banded in brass for support. Each one was carved with a large tree in whose branches was the head of a doe. It was one of the many symbols of Ulustrah but was only used on her largest temples. Inside was a vaulted chamber full of light and wonders of craftsmanship. The main worship hall was a rectangular area cut into the rock for over a hundred paces. The ceiling went all the way to the third floor, creating a voluminous space that echoed with song. The floor was made of white and green tiles, polished to perfection but worn from years of use. Six great stone pillars carved to resemble the trunks of trees reached to the ceiling above, flaring out in carefully carved branches. The ceiling around the branches were painstakingly painted to resemble a canopy of leaves with the open areas colored blue to resemble the sky.

The whole space was lit by the massive windows and magical balls of water that floated in pairs halfway up each pillar. They shimmered and glowed with a soft white light so that the entire room was bathed in what felt like sunlight.

There was a green run, woven to appear like the leaves of a tree and trimmed in golden braids. It ran down the center of the room, creating a division of space and drawing all eyes to the alter. To either side were pews made of an almost white wood. They were arranged in neat rows before the raised platform at the far end that contained the temple's altar.

The alter was made of pure white marble, lovingly carved to resemble a tree stump. It stood inside a shallow planter full of dense greenery common to the forest floor. Behind it, the wall curved away, forming a recessed pocket inside of which was a large silver bowl. Living roots and vines hung above the bowl from a hole high in the ceiling and dripped with water with a slow, methodical plop.

“A very impressive temple,” Gersius said as he took in the sight.

“I have always loved it here,” Thayle said with a mournful sigh. “I wish I could have stayed.”

There was a hint of pain in her final comment, but Lilly was too struck by the beauty around her to notice. She turned round in full circles, trying to take it all in and wishing she could have a cave this beautiful. Once again, she wondered why dragons never built things like this and was disheartened when they had to leave the room.

“This way, please,” the bald priest directed and took them down a hall to the left. They went down a short corridor into a small room with benches and a table. He asked them to wait a moment, then disappeared through a door on the other side, leaving them to their thoughts.

“Do you think your order will help?” Gersius asked as they sat on one of the benches.

“They have no reason to deny us,” Thayle responded but realized she had to qualify her statement. “Of course, we have no idea what they have heard about you or Whiteford. For all we know the Father Abbot has sent emissaries to try and poison the well.”

“And if they have?” Tavis asked with a concerned tone.

“Then I will vouch for Gersius's character,” Thayle said with confidence. “I am a priestess of Ulustrah, and my word will carry more weight. Besides, I am sure he will test your light, and the truth will be laid bare.”

“I suppose that is all we can hope for,” Gersius said with some hesitation.

“That doesn't fit stories I have heard about you,” Thayle said with concern. “Since when does Gersius, the champion of Astikar, rely on hope?”

“Since faith failed me,” he said and looked down.

Thayle felt pity for the wounded man and wished there was something she could do. He hadn't prayed to his god since before Whiteford, and the loss of that connection was destroying him. She was skilled in matters of love and relationships, but a conflict of faith was beyond her. She wished she could get Lilly to sit with him and looked to the dragon in hopes of getting her attention. Instead, she caught Ayawa glaring back while shaking her head. Not wanting to risk an argument, she let the matter go and did her best to comfort him herself. Minutes went by as they spoke quietly, discussing what they might do next. Then the door opened, and the priest returned to inform them the prime wished to see them now. He smiled and waved them through the door, blessing them one by one as they went by.

They went directly into a room full of living plants and glowing lights. It had windows on one wall and bookcases on another. There were paintings of women in green armor with metal plaques to remember their names. A single desk of polished oak sat in the rays of sunlight that poured through the window, and several couches of green rested near the center of the room. But, by far, the room's most interesting feature was the man who strode across the space, smiling with a warm expression.

He wore a dark green robe with silver bands on the cuffs and trim. There was a golden doe's head encased in a tree outline boldly woven into the chest. His face looked mature as a man who had seen many years in the sun, but his features were sharp and strong. He wore a short brown beard streaked with gray and immaculately trimmed. He had long hair with the same colors pouring to the center of his back. He arrived before the group to look them over one by one but paused when he got to Lilly. He leaned closer, squinting as his eyes searched the area above his head, then stepped back and turned to Thayle. He smiled wider and threw his arms open to welcome her home with a hug.

“Priestess Thayle, it is most wonderful to see you, he said in a firm voice.

“It is good to see you again, Prime Arlin,” Thayle replied

“Have you come back to reconsider my offer?” he asked as the hug came to an end.

“Your offer was most generous, but I regret I still can’t marry you,” Thayle replied with a smirk.

“Such a pity,” he said with a laugh and stepped back. “I suppose I will have to entertain whatever it is you have come to request. It is my only hope of winning your affection after all.”

“Don’t you have enough women to pick from?” Thayle asked as she shook her head at him with a crooked smile.

“Ah, but I am a picky man, and you are a rare flower. However, I am well aware that you and I are not on the same path. I just like to tease you whenever I can.”

“Well then, allow me to get on with it and introduce my friends,” Thayle said as he returned to looking over the group. Thayle went down the row, starting with Ayawa and Tavis, who Prime Arlin readily welcomed. Next, she came to Lilly, but all Prime Arlin did was stare. He looked to Thayle with a lost expression then pointed to the air over Lilly's head.

“I will explain it later,” Thayle sighed and moved to the man standing beside Lilly. Gersius looked tense, preparing for a hostile reaction as she introduced him. Prime Arlin's expression changed immediately from a warm greeting to cautious distrust. He took a moment to look Gersius over then turned to address Thayle with a completely different tone.

“So, you are involved in all this dragon business then?”

“I take it word has reached your ear,” Thayle said as her worst fears came true.

“Word?” Prime Arlin scoffed. “More like a hostile declaration. An armed party of twenty men entered the city not three days ago. They visited every temple, noble house, tavern, and inn looking for a man named Gersius. They called him the scourge of Whiteford and said he attacked the city with a dragon.” He paused to glance at Lilly as he said the word, his eyes once again looking above her head.

“What did these men look like?” Gersius dared to ask, though he feared to hear the answer.

“The bulk of them were light cavalry in simple chain but wearing the emblem of Astikar. They were led by two priests in heavy armor of an unusually dark color for your order. I am not familiar with what branch of your military they represent, but they had a red bird's head on their shoulder.”

“The raven guard,” Ayawa growled as the danger became clear.

“They may still be in the city,” Tavis added with a hint of tension. “For all we know, they witnessed our arrival.”

“Just keep calm,” Thayle urged and turned to the leader of her order. “Prime Arlin, I don’t know what was written in that letter, but you have to believe me when I tell you that it is all lies.”

“Lies?” Prime Arlin questioned as if shocked by the accusation. “They came to our temple not to ask but to tell us we would be helping them locate Gersius. They delivered a letter signed and sealed by the Father Abbot himself listing his crimes. I hate to say this, but they have named Gersius a traitor to Astikar and an enemy of all that is right and good.”

“It was a mistake coming here,” Gersius said as his tension boiled over. “We are not safe anywhere in the common lands.”

“Be at peace,” Prime Arlin said with a raised hand. “I only mention the letter to help you understand that I am aware of the current situation. However forceful his demands, the Father Abbot holds no sway here. Thayle has vouched for you, and I can see the truth in her light.”

“That aura sight is a handy thing,” Tavis said with a relieved sigh.

“I has its uses, especially when the truth of a matter is being clouded in lies,” Prime Arlin replied and paced across the room. “But since these are perilous times and the nature of the Father Abbots request was made with a veiled threat, let me take some precautions. Brother Augustus!”

The door burst open, and the bald man stood at attention and bowed with a warm, “Yes, my prime?”

“I have cause to believe the temple may be in danger. Therefore, I am calling the order of storms and requesting aid from nearby temples. Have the guard assembled and set to watch. I want eight in full armor present in the grand hall at all times. Be discreet, and keep the nature of their presence to yourself. I don't want rumors to spread and draw undue attention to the temple. Oh, and send words to the second company. I want Governess Alayse to report to me at once.”

“I will see to it at once, my prime,” the man said and hurried out of the room.

Thayle flinched at the mention of the woman’s name and turned to Prime Arlin with rising concern. “You don’t really think all this will be necessary?”

“We live in strange times, priestess Thayle. There is talk of war, betrayal, treason, and dragons.” Again he looked at Lilly but rolled his eyes with a prolonged sigh. “Oh, for the love of Ulustrah. Are you trying to keep it a secret? Or can we talk about it?”

Thayle laughed and came to his side as the two of them stared at Lilly. “We keep it a secret from everybody we can, but there is no point in keeping it from you.” She looked to Lilly with a smile and let her know that Prime Arlin could see the dragon’s head in her aura. He knew what she was.

“So, you're the dragon that has the priests of Astikar so upset,” Prime Arlin said with a smile returning to his face. “Forgive me for saying so, but I expected you to be bigger and with more scales.”

Lilly felt panicked by the situation and didn't like how the strange man was looking at her. She felt trapped and looked to Thayle for guidance, but she offered none. By instinct, she reached out and clutched at Gersius's hand, getting a reassuring squeeze in return.

“My name is Lilly,” she said, not sure what else to say.

“The priestess has already told me your name,” Prime Arlin said with a nod. “But perhaps you can tell me how you managed to rile the order of Astikar into such reckless behavior. It isn’t every day an entire priesthood hunts for a single man.”

His voice carried no hint of threat, but the question left Lilly unsure. She tried to explain that Gersius needed her help while glancing at him nervously, hoping he would save her from this situation.

“Forgive me,” Prime Arlin said as he noticed the nervous gesture. He stepped back to give her some space and then folded his hands with a warm smile. “I can see my question has unsettled you. That was not my intention. I had no desire to make you uncomfortable.”

Lilly was upset about the situation, and anger began to fill her stomach. She was sick of being afraid and adrift in the human world, never knowing what to do. She was also tired of relying on others for direction and telling her what to do. The anger boiled over, coming out in bitter words as she met Prime Arlin's gaze and answered him boldly.

“I am an ice dragon,” she said with her dual voice. “The vile order of Astikar hunts us for reasons we don’t understand. The story of how I met Gersius is long and painful. I grow tired of having to retell it to everyone who questions why I am here. All you need to know is I agreed to help him because he did all he could to help me. When we tried to complete his mission, the vile priests of Astikar attacked us. They did terrible things to me and even more horrible things to Gersius. They did all this because he was trying to save them and end some distant war. We were supposed to go to Calathen, but his wicked brothers won't allow it. They have done all they can to hunt us down and kill us at every turn.”

“I see,” Prime Arlin said with a rub at his chin. “So you were attempting to complete the prophecy of the dragon knight. You are certainly a brave soul to accompany him on so massive a task. But tell me, what happened at Whiteford?”

“We were butchered at Whiteford,” Lilly replied. “I don't want to tell you what they did, but in the end, they sentenced Gersius to death and me to a life of slavery. I managed to escape and rescue Gersius, but the vile priests tried to stop us. I killed many of them and trampled the people in my escape.”

“Lilly, you don’t have to tell him that,” Gersius tried to interrupt as Lilly’s voice grew cold and emotionless.

“No, Gersius!” Lilly shouted and turned on him. “Let them know what I did. I am not afraid of what they think of me. I am a dragon, and I am tired of trying to be like you. I have been trying for so long that I sometimes forget what I am.”

“I can see your ordeal has caused you a great deal of pain,” Prime Arlin said as he observed her aura. “But you have a strong spirit, and I see no reason to judge you for your actions. It sounds like the circumstances were forced on you, and you did what needed to be done to save a friend.”

“I had no choice,” Lilly replied, but Prime Arlin held up a hand to indicate she need say no more. He turned his gaze to Gersius and stepped close to look the tense man in the eyes.

“Tell me, Gersius. Did you attack Whiteford with this dragon?”

“No, I did not,” Gersius replied firmly. “I went to Whiteford because I was ordered to by the Father Abbot himself. I brought Lilly there in peace and went to great lengths to ensure no harm came to her or anyone else. I never for a moment harbored any ill intent for the people of the city or the order of Astikar.”

Prime Arlin nodded his head, satisfied by what he saw in the man's aura. He turned away, pacing the room to the desk before picking up a letter and crushing it in a fist.

“So the Father Abbot has lied to me and threatened my order,” Prime Arlin said as he cast the paper aside.

“This is why we came here,” Thayle said as she rushed to his side. “We need a place to rest and maybe some supplies. Gersius lost all of his equipment at Whiteford, so I was hoping you could offer him some armor and a good weapon.”

“Yes, your temple is too close to Whiteford. You would have been foolish to stay there,” Prime Arlin said as he began to pace. “But now I have to wonder if anyone took note of your arrival. Hopefully, nobody recognized them, but we have to worry that someone knows they are here.” He paused to consider his options then laid out his plans. He would use his status in the city to pull strings and help conceal their presence. Several noble houses were led by men and women devoted to Ulustrah, and they would readily lend aid. He could also use them as eyes and ears in the city to see if anyone was talking about Gersius. If necessary, he would request assistance from the local prince and have additional men on hand to protect the temple.

“Thank you, Prime Arlin,” Thayle said with great relief.

“I will do anything for the truth,” Prime Arlin replied. “Of course, I will arrange rooms and have arms master Goerig open the armory. We shall see if there is anything that will fit our errant knight.”

“I appreciate your kindness, Prime Arlin. But I hate to bring such danger to your temple,” Gersius said.

“You have brought the truth to my temple, and lady Ulustrah values the truth above all. It is the Father Abbot who is spreading lies, and I cannot stand for such disrespect. Be at peace. I will do all I can to protect you, but the next few days may be dangerous. The order of Astikar is focused on finding you and willing to threaten the other faiths to see their goals met. I don’t mind telling you that the letter offers a great reward to anyone who can lead them to the dragon.”

“Then there is something you should know,” Thayle said with a slight smile. “We have proof that they don’t know Lilly is the dragon. Nobody outside this room knows that dragons can take a human form, and we would very much like to keep it that way.”

“How fortunate,” Prime Arlin said with a nod. “Of course, we have to keep this secret at all costs. We will have to limit all contact with her and keep her away from the other priestesses. The less of our order that gets a good look at her aura, the better. If anyone should discover her secret, I will make them swear an oath before Ulustrah to keep it.”

“Thank you. That will take a lot off our minds,” Thayle said in appreciation.

“Well then,” Prime Arlin said as his smile grew wider. “I know exactly where to put you. The whole of the west wing is empty and isolated from the temple. There are more than enough rooms and a pleasant balcony to give you some air. Come, I will show you the way and ensure nobody comes near enough to steal a glance.”

He led them through the temple and down a long hall to a sturdy door. He threw it wide and beckoned them in before shutting the door behind them. The group stood in a wide hall built into the side of a natural fissure in the mountain. On one side was a stone railing separating the hall from the fissure that went all the way to the surface. Sunlight beamed down from the sky above, filling the space with an almost garden-like atmosphere. The other side was a stone wall with seven doors that concealed bedrooms. Prime Arlin told them to make use of all the rooms but not to allow Lilly or Gersius outside the hall.

“I will give a standing order that no one is to enter this wing without my permission,” he said as the group looked around.

“Thank you again,” Thayle said in relief. “You have no idea how much we appreciate this.”

“It is the least I can do,” he replied and glanced at Lilly and Gersius. “I will send for a table and some chairs, so you have a place to sit. I will also arrange for food, so you lack nothing to eat.” He paused and then locked Thayle with a firm gaze reminding her that she needed to keep Gersius and his dragon out of sight. Thayle nodded her understanding, and he said his goodbyes, leaving them alone with their thoughts.

“He is not happy we are here,” Gersius said once he was gone.

“Do you blame him?” Ayawa asked. “You heard what he said. The Father Abbot sent a veiled threat and may very well have spies in the city. Our being here puts his temple in danger.”

“It’s a miracle we weren’t seen coming in here,” Tavis added.

“How do we know we weren't seen?” Ayawa asked. “They could be watching the temple right now as they plan how to reach us.”

A sense of dread settled in as they considered the danger and wondered if this was a safe refuge after all.

2