1-22 Words spoken in anger
16 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She rode into the camp bearing a letter of grave importance for the governess commander of the second company. She knew nothing of the woman personally, but stories said she never backed down from a fight and had a fiery temper. So it was with some reservation she approached the command tent and flashed her seal of authority to get through the guards.

Inside she found three women in the green armor of Ulustrah locked in a discussion about some issue with the local authorities. She cleared her throat, causing them to notice her presence, but one, in particular, leveled a glaring stare. She stood nearly as tall as an average man with golden hair that fell about her shoulders in gentle curls. Her slight facial features hinted at gentleness and beauty, but the scowl she made erased that illusion. All three of the women folded arms as if annoyed by the intrusion, and the golden-haired woman demanded to know who she was.

“Priestess Jaleen from Eastgate. I have been sent to deliver you a message from Prime Arlin,” he replied and held out the letter.

The scowling woman snatched the letter and took only a moment to study the wax seal before breaking it open and scouring the contents. As she reached the bottom, her countenance darkened, the words seeming to cause her pain. The paper crinkled as she clutched it in a fist, waving in the face of Jaleen and demanding to know what the meaning of it was.

“Forgive me, Governess,” Jaleen said with a bow. “But I was only told to deliver it. I am aware of what it contained.”

“What did it contain?” one of the other women asked.

The golden-haired commander threw the letter on a table and extolled its dark contents.

“Prime Arlin has called the order of storms,” she said as the other two visibly flinched. “We are ordered to return to Eastgate with all haste to defend the temple!”

“Defend the temple?” the other woman repeated. “Defend them from what?”

“It doesn't say,” the golden-haired woman replied as she turned on the messenger. “You must know something more. What has happened that would provoke a war footing?”

Jaleen sighed as, in truth, she knew very little of what was going on. She explained that all she knew for sure was that a priestess by the name of Thayle arrived a day ago with some companions seeing shelter. They were immediately secluded in the west wing, and there are standing orders that no one is to so much as enter the west hall, let alone the wing. If these mysterious guests are seen outside the hall, they are not to be approached or spoken to. The entire temple was put on guard the moment Thayle arrived, and half the priestess are now under arms at all times. Extra guards have been called in from noble families, and the general public is now wary of approaching the temple.

The scowling woman stepped closer, her eyes narrow and searching as if Jaleen had just woven a fantastic like.

“I want to make sure I heard you correctly,” she said with some effort to calm her voice. “Priestess Thayle has returned to Eastgate?”

Jaleen nodded and confirmed that Thayle was one of the only people allowed into the west wing.

“You are dismissed. Get out of my sight,” the angry woman growled and turned to lean on the table. She took a few calming breaths as her captains waited nearby.

“Alayse, are you well?” one of them asked.

“No, I am not!” Alayse replied with clenched teeth.

“She must have brought something of grave importance with her,” the other offered.

Alayse nodded her head in agreement before turning to reply. “Of course she did. The hawk who likes to pretend to be field mouse has returned from her exile, which can only mean trouble is on her heels.”

“But the order of storms?” her captain protested. “That hasn’t been called in my lifetime.”

“Thayle has a knack for finding trouble,” Alayse sighed and looked up. “Order the camp broken and every woman ready to march within the hour. We are going to Eastgate.”

Gersius lay awake, staring at the empty bed on the other side of the room. He longed to see Lilly sleeping atop her pile of coins, the bond between them unbroken. As the hours ticked by, he struggled to do as Thayle suggested and let his mind rest, but he thought of Lilly constantly. He forced himself up in the morning, shaking off the few hours hes' managed to sleep. He found the others sitting at the table and talking but noticed that Lilly was absent. He tried to join the conversation, but as the morning wore on, Lilly's absence began to concern him.

Thayle stepped in and left for a few moments before returning with some good news. She had requested and received permission to take them to the temple's dining hall. They could drink to their heart's content and hopefully drown away a few sorrows. Lilly was not allowed out of the hall still, but then she was in her room, and Thayle encouraged them to let her be. Two hours later, they returned to discover Lilly was still shut in her room, and Thayle had finally had enough.

“You should try talking to her,” Thayle encouraged as she addressed Gersius. “She needs somebody to help her through this.”

“Then maybe you should be the one to talk to her,” Gersius suggested.

“I could, but trust me, you are the one she wants. Now go. Just give it a try,” Thayle urged.

“I think he should leave her be,” Ayawa countered. “The girl isn't ready to talk to him.”

Thayle shot Ayawa a heated glance then practically pushed Gersius along. He argued that they didn't have any privacy for a proper conversation, so Thayle told him to take Lilly outside the wing and into the hall. So long as they didn't stray far from the door, they would be perfectly alone. With a sigh, he nodded and ran fingers through his wild hair before going to Lilly's door.

“You’re meddling again,” Ayawa gripped when he was far enough away.

“I don't care,” Thayle replied as they watched him. “I know this wasn't meant to end this way, and I refuse to stop so long as there is a shred of hope.”

“And how is his wound supposed to heal if you keep reminding him of it?” Ayawa asked.

“If he runs from this, he will carry the wound for the rest of his life,” Thayle countered. “He needs to put this matter to rest one way or the other.”

“I hope you're right,” Ayawa said with a voice that said she didn't think that for one moment.

“I don’t have time for this argument,” Thayle groaned. “I am going to see Prime Arline and will be back in an hour. Do me a favor and make sure she doesn’t kill him before I get back.”

“If she wanted to kill him, I doubt any of us could prevent it,” Ayawa replied, but Thayle was already heading for the door. She turned back to watch as Gersius arrived before Lilly's room and gently knocked on the door.

Gersius held his breath, unsure what to expect from the woman inside. He assumed she was hiding from him and tensed for her to tell him to go away.

“Who is it?” she called through the door, causing him a moment of pause.

“It is me. I wanted to talk to you,” he replied.

Seconds seemed to drag on as he heard nothing from inside the room. Then slowly, the door opened, and Lilly stood before him wearing the old farmer's dress. Her hair ran over her shoulders and down her chest, giving her a look of innocent beauty. Her face was pouty, with eyes ringed in red to hint that she had recently been crying. Still, she looked him firmly in the eyes and asked what he wanted to talk about.

“Not here,” he replied and stepped aside. “Will you walk with me? I have permission to take you into the outer hall.”

Lilly nodded and stepped through the door, quietly standing at his side. On instinct, he reached for her hand only to have her recoil from his touch. It was a sign of the rift between them, and the reminder brought him pain. He swallowed it and led the way, taking her into the outer hall where they could talk alone.

“So, what did you want to talk about?” Lilly asked when they were outside.

“I wanted to talk about us,” he replied nervously. “Things have become complicated in ways I could not have anticipated. Thankfully we have been given a chance to be still and do some thinking.”

Lilly nodded along, agreeing with his sentiment, giving him a sense that this was the right way to proceed.

“I have to decide what to do now that so much has changed. In light of what my previous decisions have brought, I have been struggling with a great deal of doubt. Much of that doubt is over you, and what the right thing to do by you is.”

“You don’t’ want to hurt me,” Lilly answered as he nodded.

“I never wanted you to be hurt,” he sighed and had to pace a bit as his mind tried to piece together his thoughts. “My original plan was to take you to Calathen to reunite the empire and save the people.”

“By becoming the dragon knight,” Lilly said.

“That was my plan,” he replied.

Lilly looked confused a moment as she worked on an idea. She then turned and asked a strange question.

“Yesterday, you said you would petition the empire to pay me for my services,” she began and paused to continue putting the thought together. “But if you become the dragon knight, doesn't that make you the emperor?”

Gersius saw where her logic was going. If he was the emperor, why would he need to petition himself? The truth was he didn't want to be the emperor because that meant never settling and having his family. Instead, he would be locked in a constant struggle to maintain the empire and ensure the safety of its people. It would be an endless burden that would weigh on his shoulders until the peace of the grave. Still, he would carry that burden to save lives and if it meant staying by Lilly's side.

“I think I should be honest and admit I was not sure I would be the dragon knight,” he replied.

“But if you're not the dragon knight, then why do you need me?” she asked with a raised brow.

“Because I wanted to unite the kingdoms and reform the empire,” he said. “You have to understand I don't need to complete the prophecy to accomplish that. All I needed was a dragon who would help and be the symbol the people needed. Then the empire could be reformed, and I could lead the united armies against the Doan.”

“But you told me that whoever marches through the golden gate with me becomes the dragon knight. How can we go through the gates and you not become the dragon knight?” she asked in confusion.

Gersius felt a sudden wave of concern as Lilly's logic began to unfold. All this time, he had assured her that he would be the dragon knight. In truth, what he wanted was to lead the combined armies. His leaders could appoint a dragon knight to unite the empire. Then when the war was over, he and Lilly could both go home to live their lives. But as he looked into her eyes, he realized that feeling was changing, and he questioned his motives. Still, he had to answer her question, and he knew she wasn't going to like it.

“Lilly, I expected to be the dragon knight, but I wasn’t sure I would be the one who led you through the gates,” he said as gently as he could.

“What do you mean?” she balked.

“My goal was the lead the armies and end the war. I do not need to be the dragon knight to do that. Somebody else could do it and unite the empire so I could lead its armies,” he explained.

“But you’re the one with the dragon,” Lilly insisted. “It has to be you.”

“And it probably would have,” he agreed. “I am only saying there was a possibility it wouldn't have been. Once we got close to the city, my order would likely have decided to let me proceed or choose another to lead you.”

“No,” Lilly said as her hands curled into fists. “That doesn't make any sense, Gersius. You are the one who went out and found a dragon. You paid the price and brought me back, so you are the dragon knight.”

“Lilly, please,” he urged with hands raised to try and calm her. “I am only saying they might have chosen another.”

“They can choose whoever they want, and I will eat him!” she shouted. “I am your dragon! I made my promise to you and you alone! Could you honestly hand me over to somebody who did nothing to earn my trust?”

“The question is pointless,” Gersius replied with deep regret they were even talking about this. “My brothers have betrayed me, and I would never hand you over now.”

“But if they hadn’t betrayed you and they told you to hand me over, you would?” Lilly demanded.

“I would have no choice,” he replied as he looked into her angry eyes. “Lilly, I have a duty to my order. I have to obey.”

“I don't care about your order!” she shouted and began to stomp. “How could you ever think about handing me to another? Do I mean nothing to you? I suppose you would tell this impostor my true name.”

“Never,” Gersius growled as his anger started to flare. “That is also a matter of duty, and I made a vow never to reveal your name. I would ask you as a friend to go with whoever they choose, and tell them that you are free after a year and a day. But under no circumstances would I tell them your name. I will take that secret to my grave.”

A sense of betrayal washed over Lilly as she trembled in rage. It didn't matter that he would keep her name secret. The very fact that she meant so little to him that he would give her away made her want to bite him! She tried to say something in response, but her words were so filled with hate that she stormed back into the west wing and headed for her room.

“Lilly, wait!” he called, but she ignored his plea and slammed the door behind herself.

Gersius did the only thing that made sense and let her go, remaining in the outer hall until she was safely away.

“Is everything alright?” Tavis asked as Lilly went to storm by the table.

“No!” Lilly shouted and turned on him and Ayawa. “That fool said he would give me to another if his order told him he had to do it.”

“What are you talking about?” Ayawa asked.

“Gersius,” Lilly growled. “He said that his order might have wanted somebody else to be the dragon knight. He said they might have asked him to hand me over to somebody else. He said he would do it like I was nothing to him.”

Ayawa and Tavis exchanged concerned looks before Ayawa rose to address the angry dragon.

“First of all, his order has turned on him, so this is a moot point. Secondly, he said they might have asked him to do it, and I doubt they would have. Gersius was their champion. They had no reason to choose another man to be the dragon knight.”

“Then why did he say those things?” Lilly demanded.

“Because he was being honest with you,” Ayawa replied. “If for some reason, they chose another, he would have to do it.”

“No,” Lilly growled. “I choose who I follow, and I will not follow any other man! If he doesn't want me, I will go home.”

“I don't think Gersius meant to say he didn't want you,” Tavis interrupted. “He is only saying that he is bound by duty and faith to obey. I am sure he would be upset if they took you away from him.”

“Then he shouldn't let them take me! He should tell them I am his dragon, and nobody else can claim me!” Lilly argued as she shook with anger.

“Girl, you don't understand duty or the chain of command,” Ayawa countered, but Lilly turned away and stormed off. “You can't run from the truth,” Ayawa shouted. “Always remember he chose death when they demanded your name.”

Lilly paused halfway to her door, fists shaking as she considered those words. She looked back with red eyes and spoke with a conviction that sounded final.

“I hate him! I don’t know why I am still here!” she shouted and ran into her room, slamming the door.

“That looks bad,” Tavis sighed.

“Bad?” Ayawa laughed. “When I see that fool, I am going to kick him. What made him think telling her something like that was going to help?”

“It was the truth,” Tavis replied with a shrug.

“She isn’t ready for the truth,” Ayawa growled. “Thayle is taking a huge risk in keeping this alive.”

“Lilly is justifiably angry, but it will burn out in time,” Tavis suggested.

“You are as big a fool as Gersius if you think she is going to let go of that anger so easily,” Ayawa countered. “If you ask me, her anger is growing, and all we do is sit and watch it happen.”

“What choice do we have?” Tavis asked. “At least we are safe, and they have time to talk.”

“Our choice is we find Thayle because if you ask me, they are out of time. Lilly can't be allowed to stew in that anger any longer,” Ayawa suggested.

“You and I do have permission to leave,” Tavis said and adjusted his hat. “Let’s go find her.”

They left the room and were surprised to see no sign of Gersius in the hall. Ayawa briefly wondered where he had gotten off to but finding Thayle took precedence. They passed a few other women in their search and noticed how they moved away or averted their eyes. Not one of them would approach or so much as give them passing notice, making it difficult to ask questions.

“This is a fine state,” Ayawa grumbled as they entered the worship hall. “We can’t even ask if anyone has seen her.”

“I believe they have been told to stay away from us for our protection,” Tavis said as they headed for the temple doors.

“They all wear the same robes,” Ayawa sighed. “How are we going to pick her out?”

“Thayle has golden vines and flowers on her robes,” Tavis said as he remembered the odd difference. “I wonder if that means something??

“Hopefully, it means she will be easier to find,” Ayawa sighed but was relieved a moment later when they spotted Thayle standing just outside the doors and staring into the city. She was indeed in the green robes decorated with golden vines, but her hood was thrown back, her hair blowing in a gentle breeze.

“Why are you standing here?” Ayawa asked as they came up behind her.

“Why am I here?” Thayle asked in surprise. “What are you two doing here? You know it isn't safe to wander outside the wing.”

“You told us we could visit the city so long as our trips are short,” Ayawa countered. “Besides, we need to talk to you.”

“I am not in the mood for another argument,” Thayle countered as she studied Ayawa’s stern face and flaring aura.

“We aren’t here to argue,” Tavis said and took off his hat. “We wanted to talk to you about Lilly.”

“What about Lilly? I told you not to let her kill him,” Thayle said with aggravation rising in her voice.

“She has shut herself in her room again,” Ayawa quipped. “The fool told her he would have given her to another if his order demanded he do so.”

“What?” Thayle replied in confusion, so Tavis explained it in full detail, leaving Thayle with a hand on her face shaking her head.

“Why would he say something like that to her? Does the man not understand women at all?” Thayle groaned.

“She may have stayed, but she isn’t returning to him,” Tavis said.

“She is even angrier now than she was on the barge,” Ayawa added.

“She needs more time,” Thayle insisted and looked around the temple to be sure no one else was listening. “Lilly has two problems, the first of which is the pain of losing her wings. She understands it isn't his fault, but he constantly reminds her of it. The second issue I am not certain about. It's something that is deeply troubling her, but she can't or won't explain it.”

“Forgive me for saying this, but time may not be something they have,” Tavis said. “They are drifting apart, and I don't know if he can go on without her.”

“Tavis is right,” Ayawa added. “She is on the verge of leaving.”

“Why are you so concerned?” Thayle asked as she locked stares with Ayawa. “Didn’t you just accuse me of meddling in their relationship?”

Ayawa groaned as Thayle held her glare, challenging her to explain herself.

“As much as I don't approve of this relationship, I can see that he needs her,” Ayawa began and leaned against the door. “But a dragon and a man mixing is a bad omen.”

“Which you said was a disruption of the natural order,” Thayle added. “But that doesn't explain why you so strongly disapprove of this.”

“You want to know why I disapprove of dragons and humans mingling? You want to know why doing so is a danger to the natural order? Answer me a question first. What happened the last time the natural order was tampered with?”

“I have no idea what you are talking about,” Thayle replied.

“Then I will enlighten you,” Ayawa said and took a deep breath. “My people have ancient stories that tell the history of the world. It talks about how dragons and men mixed long ago, and the world burned because of it. All of the lands and cities we have now are shadows of an ancient glory that was wiped away almost overnight.”

“But these are just stories,” Thayle countered, but Tavis cut in and explained that Ayawa's people kept meticulous oral records, passing the stories down in exacting detail. It was considered shameful to embellish them and could lead to a tribe member being cast out.

“We stand in the ashes of what once was,” Ayawa continued. “Why do you think the lands are dotted with old ruins or roads that go nowhere? Why do you think nobody remembers who created these places or lived there? People don't even remember that great empires once covered the north all the way to the Caspian ice plains. Now we call those regions the northern wilds because they are overgrown with woods and filled with monsters. The great cities that once stood there are nothing but shattered ruins buried under dense growth. You can’t even find a map that shows where they once were, so complete was the destruction.”

“I have never heard of humans and dragons mixing before,” Thayle said as she studied Ayawa's aura and saw it pulsing with the truth. Whatever the origin of these legends, Ayawa believed they were true, and it was clouding her opinion of Lilly and Gersius.

“I don't know how the world could have forgotten such a tragedy,” Ayawa replied with the shake of her head. “But my people went to great lengths to remember it. I don't know how much you know about us, but we once built great cities and had a civilization that would rival anything that exists today. We farmed the land and raised traded in exotic woods and foodstuffs. We build roads and bridges of stone to link our society with the world around us.” She paused, and Tavis took her hand to steady her as she then recounted the rest. “All of it is gone, washed away in a tide of blood and destruction. I have personally seen some of the remains and walked through the broken rocks of a city twice the size of Eastgate. In a few places, you can find the old roads, but the land has swallowed most of them under thousands of years of growth.”

“I do know a little about your people,” Thayle said. “You aren’t very friendly to the other faiths, and I don’t recall ever hearing about you building cities,”

Ayawa looked out into the city as if trying to see a past that was just beyond the walls. “The world knows us as the southern tribes. They say we are a people of the wild, tribal and nomadic. We have a loose collection of nations made up of family groups, each with its own customs and history. We travel across the plains and forests, going all the way to the broken mesas in the east. They say we are an undeveloped people, with a violent culture, but we remember what we once were.”

“Through your stories?” Thayle asked, earning a nod from Ayawa.

“Those stories are our life, and Tavis is right; no one would dare alter them,” Ayawa replied. “They tell us of what we once were and the great heights that we achieved. We were once the heart of a spiritual order that worshiped the earth mother, seeking her guidance in all things. Our shaman could speak to the spirit of the land to guide our efforts and maintain a balance with nature. Our cities were in harmony with the land and filled with magical wonders. But all of that came to an end when the war began.”

“What war?” Thayle asked, enthralled by the story.

Ayawa looked to Thayle with a deep sadness in her eyes as her aura reflected the pain of remorse.

“The ware between men and dragons,” she said.

“Men and dragons fought a war?” Thayle asked and looked to Tavis for confirmation.

“She has told me the story many times,” he said and nodded his head. “I admit I find it hard to believe, but I have no reason to doubt her. Even my land talks about an empire that once existed and was destroyed. In its fall, much of our magic was lost, and we still haven't regained it.”

“Hmm,” Thayle said and rubbed at her chin. “I suppose even my homelands in the silver isles talks about a time when our land was one large continent. The stories say it was shattered into smaller islands by the divines.”

“You see, the past calls out to be remembered, and every land has a tale of past long lost,” Ayawa said and continued with her story. “My people say that at some point in the past, men and dragons began to work together. Initially, this was a boon, but at some point, our kinds began to mix, and this offended the earth mother. She put animosity between dragons and men, causing them to turn on one another. A great war erupted, and humans were slaughtered by the thousands as their cities burned to ash. The dragons suffered heavily, too, their rampages often ending in their deaths. The old empires were lost, some so heavily devastated that they remain abandoned to this day. Then the earth-mother cursed the land giving birth to the beasts and monsters that stalk the dark places. She drove dragon and human alike to the brink of extinction for their crime.”

“This can’t be true,” Thayle said with a shake of her head. “I know something must have happened in the past, but to punish the whole world?”

“Can you explain the loss of so much history?” Ayawa asked, and when Thayle shook her head, she moved on. “Our storytellers say that when the dust settled, not a single one of our cities still stood. Our people had been reduced so drastically that were not enough of us left to need one. We were a group of scattered families, lost in a land torn apart by a mistake. Our glories turned to ash.”

Thayle watched as Ayawa's aura flashed between pain and anger as she recounted the legends. She had a deep longing for what once was and a resolve to remember every detail. It reminded her of the old stories that her people once built structures called wind towers and sailed the blue skies.

“My people call this the time of shattering, and ever since those days, we have been nomadic. We wander in large tribes, constantly under attack from our neighbors and each other. We have never been able to reunite, and until we do, we can't begin to rebuild.”

“What united you before?” Thayle asked, thinking that this division was unnatural.

“Our spiritual culture did,” Ayawa answered. “The shaman ruled the land and ensured we lived in harmony with nature, but all of them were lost in the war. The process of becoming a shaman was lost with them, and now my people walk in ignorance. We no longer know how to talk to the Earthmother and, without her guidance, can't maintain our balance with the land. We are a shadow of what we once were, and all because of men and dragons mixing.”

“And yet you want me to do something about Lilly?” Thayle asked, unable to believe Ayawa would tolerate this after a story like that.

Ayawa looked in conflict, and her aura echoed the sentiment. She explained that she was afraid of what might happen if this continued but couldn't deny that Lilly once loved Gersius. She questioned how Lilly felt now but could see that Gersius needed her. It wasn't to go to Calathen or save the old empire. It was something far more personal. She admitted that his strength faded the moment Lilly took her heart away from him.

“For good or bad, Gersius needs her, and I think she needs him,” Tavis said in agreement. “We only want to see them happy again, like they were those two nights around the campfires.”

Thayle smiled at their kind word and wondered how Gersius had found such genuine friends. Despite their personal beliefs and fears, they wanted what was best for him. She tried to explain that he and Lilly were arguing because they wanted to reconnect. However, Lilly was still too hurt, and Gersius had given up. She insisted they needed a little more time, but Ayawa let her know what Lilly's final words were.

“She said she hated him and didn't know why she was still here,” Ayawa said.

Thayle didn't like that Lilly used the word hate to describe her feelings for Gersius. Obviously, this was getting out of hand and would quickly end in ruin if she didn't act.

“I will speak to Lilly and see if I can figure out what is bothering her,” Thayle said with a sigh. “Something deeper is tearing her apart, and it has nothing to do with her wings.”

“So, how will you find out?” Tavis asked.

“I don’t know,” Thayle admitted. “I don’t think Lilly understands it herself, but I won’t stop trying so long as they are here.”

“Let’s hope you find the cause before she leaves,” Ayawa said.

“Maybe that's a good idea,” Tavis said as he considered an option. “It might do them both some good to be apart for a day. If they can't talk to each other, it might allow them to heal a little.”

“You're right,” Thayle said with a smile. “I wonder if I could take Lilly into the city? She's so curious about things; I bet she would love to see the markets and squares.”

“Is it safe to take her out of the temple? She doesn't exactly blend in,” Ayawa pointed out.

“Not it isn’t safe at all,” Thayle replied. “But I bet I can arrange a disguise and an armed escort. Nobody knows who Lilly is, and they are all looking for a dragon anyway. I doubt anyone would be able to figure out who she was or what she was doing in the city.”

“It would probably do her some good,” Tavis agreed.

“Then I will ask Prime Arlin for permission and some help,” Thayle said. “In the meantime, keep Gersius away from Lilly. When I come to collect her, take him to the dining hall and keep him company. I am sure he could use a few drinks.”

“He’s not the only one,” Tavis said with a glance at Ayawa.

They parted and hurried about their plan, eager to put things into motion. It would give the two lovers some much-needed space, and a little excitement for Lilly might help soothe her pain. Hopefully, nothing would go wrong.

2