1-27 A binding of hearts
84 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gersius followed a strange man down a flight of stairs into the lower tunnels of the temple. He wasn't accustomed to seeing men of Ulustrha in armor and brandishing weapons, but this man was clearly a warrior. He wore the plate and chain of his order with a noble dignity and carried a long-handled ax at his side. He wasn't wearing a helm allowing Gersius to see his neatly trimmed beard that ringed his mouth. He had a calm, honest sort of expression, but his eyes betrayed the constant thinking of a warrior.

“Here is where we keep our armor,” he said and took Gersius to a sturdy door. He fished a key from his belt and unlocked it, throwing it wide before motioning him to go inside.

“I thank you,” Gersius said with a nod. “It is very gracious of your temple to equip me.”

“It is our pleasure,” the stranger replied as he squared his shoulders. “It isn’t often such a warrior comes to our temple. It will be refreshing to know our arms will be put to good use.”

“You know who I am then?” Gersius asked as the man nodded and informed him that he was sworn to secrecy. “Then I must thank you again. I appreciate the arms, but there is a great blessing in not needing to put such things to use.”

“Indeed, there is,” the man answered. “But men like you and I were made for battle. There is no shame in answering its call. Now, go and select whatever you need. I will wait by the stairs for you to return.”

Gersius entered a chamber hollowed from the rock of the mountain and lit by glowing balls of water. It was filled with racks that contained armor of a dizzying variety of sizes. Most of it appeared to be mail, but there were many suits of mixed mail and plate. He would choose from the mixed armor, opting for as much protection as possible. It would never be as protective as the armor the priests of Astikar wore, but it would offer a great deal more flexibility and movement. In the hands of a skilled swordsman like himself, that advantage in speed would be deadly. Of course, it was colored in the greens and blues of the order of Ulustrah, and a few elements bore emblems of her faith.

He began the arduous task of looking for armor that would fit him properly. Most of the equipment was sized for women, but one rack near the back contained suits for men. Unfortunately, armor was often handcrafted for an individual, and he had to try many pieces before he found some that fit. Eventually, he settled on a particular set, flexing his arms in fine mail as he tested the fit.

He looked around for boots but realized that the order of Ulustrah didn't wear plated grieves. He would have to settle for his sturdy boots, which would be more comfortable anyway. Gloves were more of a challenge as nearly all of them were too small for his hands. He finally found a pair large enough with a metal plate bolted to the back of the hand. His final task was to find a helm and settled on a simple conical design with a nose guard and slit at the chin.

“This will have to do,” he said as he put the helmet on and tested the fit. For the first time in days, he felt like a soldier again, protected in his armor and ready for battle. Almost on instinct, he went to embrace divine power but stopped as the memory of what that power had done haunted him. Instead, he returned to the hall and was directed to a room where he could look for a weapon.

This room was longer but a little more narrow and filled with weapons racks. Barrels of spears dominated one wall with neat piles of metal-capped clubs in the center. There were weapons of almost every kind, but it was clear this order preferred the club as they were almost everywhere. Gersius assumed it was because they didn't like to kill, but even a club could kill in the right hands. He picked through the racks of swords, looking for something with good heft and a firm grip. He wanted a sword that felt natural in hand and would flow in the dance of combat. He tested several by going through a few maneuvers but ultimately discarded them. He finally found a simple sword with a broad blade that felt right, and after a few quick swings, he knew this was the one.

With the weapon selected, he turned to leave but spotted something intriguing on his way past a table. It was a large dagger in a sheath of black leather, set back into the corner and almost buried under other blades. The pommel was wrapped in a silver cord, and a single blue stone decorated the guard that curled like horns. Curiosity caused him to collect the weapon and draw the blade, turning it over in the light to inspect the surface. With a look of surprise, he saw runes etched on the surface, their shape strikingly familiar. He quickly returned the weapon to its sheath and took it with him as he returned to the hallway.

The man who escorted him down was delighted to see he had found something that fit. Gersius complimented the armor's flexibility and then showed him the two weapons. The man wasn't surprised that he had chosen two and praised him on his picks. Gersius then decided to satisfy a measure of curiosity and ask why the order of Ulustrah was so well-armed.

The bearded man nodded as he understood the reason for the question. He admitted that most temples had barely any weapons beyond those needed for the immediate staff. However, this was a grand temple ruled by one of the primes and the home of one of Ulustrah's companies of soldiers. Thus they had an unusually large armory and were well equipped. He then lamented that the world was a dangerous place, and his order understood they needed to be able to defend themselves.

“Very few of your order have marched west to fight the Doan,” Gersius pointed out. “The people all along the western borders are in great danger.”

“I am sure few have,” the man replied with a sigh. “Ulustrah has an aversion to war, and her members do not readily engage in it. However, we might try to defend a temple and the people hiding inside if the Doan came. A pity, really,” he said, almost as if regretting how his order avoided conflict. “It has happened before, of course, but war and combat are not our way. If the Doan needed help growing trees in that barren land of theirs, I am sure we would march out in great numbers.”

“But you said earlier that you were made for battle,” Gersius reminded as the man led the way up the stairs.

“Aye, I am made for such things, but few like us join Ulustrah's ranks. The goddess calls to the tender-hearted and those gifted with a nurturing demeanor. She prefers to care for the world with the blessing of food and love, to bring people together, and avoid conflict. She calls a few strong men and women to carry the sword and defend her holdings and the families that cling to her heart. Quite a few of these strong warriors have been called back to the temple since the order of storms was given.”

Gersius nodded as they reached the top of the stairs and dared to ask what the order of storms meant. The bearded man explained that it was the same as declaring war and put the temple on high alert to repel a possible attack. Additional members were being called in from temples all over the region, and the second company was outside the city and ready to act. Many had gone below to trade their clubs in for swords, anticipating blood would soon be shed.

Gersius’s heart sank to know this danger had come because of him. He walked the rest of the way in silence, pondering if his being here was too great a risk. He didn't want to draw the order of Ulustrah into a wider conflict, especially with an order that prided itself on military might. They parted ways outside the door to the west wing, with his escort wishing him luck in his future battles. He walked into the hall with a heavy heart to find Tavis, Ayawa, and Thayle sitting at the table as they talked.

“Well, that is a vast improvement,” Thayle said when she saw him. “You look born to wear armor, and I like the color you chose.”

“I did not have any choice,” he said as he approached the table. “Your entire armory is painted like this.” He set the helm on the table and then remembered the strange dagger with its familiar runes. He looked around, hoping to spot Lilly, then realized she must still be in her room.

“Is something the matter?” Thayle asked when she noted the disappointment in his aura.

“I was just hoping Lilly would be around. I wanted her to look at something for me,” he replied.

“Then sit down and wait a moment. She should be ready soon,” Thayle said with a playful smile. The remark seemed to trigger the same effect on Tavis and Ayawa, who had to look away when they started to laugh.

“Is something going on?” Gersius asked as he noted the strange behavior. “Why are you laughing like children?”

“Well, look whose back,” Ayawa said in surprise at his biting remark. “I thought you planned to mope around for a few more days.”

“I was not moping,” he argued, but Tavis laughed and said he had never seen him so melancholy. Thayle agreed he had been in a foul mood, and Ayawa accused him of being somebody else. “I am not in the mood for games,” he said to silence their pointless assault.

“And the fire is back too,” Ayawa laughed. “Had I known all you needed was a sword and some armor, I would have gotten you some long ago. Where have you been hiding all this time?”

“I was not hiding. I simply needed time to think,” Gersius corrected and folded his arms as the others continued to smile. “I do not know what you three are playing at, and I do not care. I am going to talk to Lilly.”

“The priestess already told you that she is getting ready,” Ayawa stated.

“Ready for what?” Gersius asked as his patience wore thin. As if in answer to his question Lilly's door came open, and she stepped out, calling Thayle to say she was ready. Gersius was struck to see Lilly dressed like a princess with flowers woven into her braided hair. She wore a simple band on her head and Thayles bracelets on her arms, while the necklace he bought her hung above her breast. She trembled with hands planted to her sides, looking down as if afraid to see who was watching. Finally, she dared a glance, and her eyes went wide to see Gersius staring at her. A look of panic spread over her face, and she turned away as if about to run, but Thayle was faster.

“No, you don't!” Thayle cried and ran to Lilly's side. She took Lilly firmly by the hand and pulled her away from the door and inexorably closer to Gersius.

“Wait, I need more time,” Lilly begged as Thayle dragged her across the room.

“You don’t have any more time to think about this,” Thayle argued. “This works better anyways. Let’s get it done now before you talk yourself out of it.”

“Talk herself out of what?” Gersius asked as Thayle arrived to stand before him. “What is going on?”

“You will find out soon enough,” Thayle insisted and grabbed his hand as Tavis and Ayawa laughed profusely. “Now, come with me and no complaints. This is for your own good.”

Gersius had no choice but to go along as Thayle dragged them out of the hall and down a side corridor. He repeatedly tried to ask what they were doing or where they were going, but Thayle refused to answer. All she would tell him was that his questions would be answered when they got there, and he would just have to wait.

Lilly was a panic-stricken wreck as she tugged to try and free her wrist. She pleaded with Thayle to give her more time, insisting that she didn't know if she could do this. Thayle ignored her pleas and said that the choice had already been made, and Lilly needed to stop thinking about it and just get it over with. She finally arrived at a narrow stair cut into the rock and ordered them to start climbing.

Thayle made Lilly go first so she could drive the trembling dragon up and prevent her escape. Gersius followed just behind, still clueless as to what was going on. He tried to ask, but Thayle told him to be quiet and trust that this was all for the best.

Eventually, the stairs ended at an arched doorway that led onto a sunny ledge under a vast open sky. The left wall was a cascade of blue and white flowers, growing in steps to either side of a vast basin of water. To the right was a stone railing beyond which was a stunning view of Eastgate. Small planters were placed along the edge, filled with blue flowers so vivid Gersius would swear they had just been grown. Everything was clean and colorful, as if the whole place had been prepared just an hour ago.

Thayle pushed Lilly along and directed them to a small marble platform that rose from the center of the ledge. It was just big enough for three people to stand on, and she ordered them both to take their place at the center. Gersius stood next to Lilly, who looked like she might faint at any moment. She wobbled on her legs and had to step back several times as Thayle barked at her to stand still.

“Take her hand, so she has something to hold on to,” Thayle said.

“What are we doing here?” he asked without moving a muscle.

“Just take her hand,” Thayle insisted and glared at him, saying this was not up for debate.

Gersius did as he was told and reached for Lilly's hand. She quickly latched on to him, folding her fingers around his tightly as if desperate for his support. He was surprised at how eager she was to touch him and even more so at how badly she trembled.

“Now, we can begin,” Thayle said as her smile returned. “In the name of Ulustrah, Goddess of fertility and harvest. I bless you with her love; may it strengthen the bond you share for each other.”

Gersius felt his blood run cold as the sound of Tayle's prayer was far too familiar. Every faith had one like it, and he recognized the significance immediately.

“Wait a minute!” he barked and pointed his free hand at Thayle. “Are you trying to marry us?”

“No,” Thayle said as her smile spread. “That was just a blessing to prepare you two for what comes next.”

“And what does come next?” Gersius demanded as he began to wonder if he needed to run.

Thayle calmly took his free hand and rubbed it between her fingers, urging him to relax. She explained that Lilly had something very important to say to him and that he needed to understand. What they were about to do was very powerful and carried significant meaning, so he needed to be ready to act. She then released his hand and went to Lilly, who was trembling from head to toe. Thayle had to reach up and lift Lilly's chin so she could see her fearful eyes.

“It's time,” Thayle whispered as Lilly squeezed Gersius's hand in panic. “I will leave so you can do what you need to do. Just close your eyes and tell him what you want. It will all be over before you know it, and then you will get to dance.”

Gersius watched as Lilly's breath came out in staggered gasps. She trembled so badly that he wasn't sure if she was nodding or about to fall over. Thayle seemed to understand, and with a final wink, she headed for the stairwell and left them alone.

“Don’t either of you come down until it’s done!” she shouted from somewhere below.

“Until what is done?” Gersius asked as he looked at Lilly, trying to understand what was happening. “Lilly, do you know what she is talking about?”

Lilly muttered almost silently as her grip began to fail. She stumbled on words repeatedly trying to begin, but the trembling became nearly uncontrollable. Slowly she crumpled, coming to hands and knees as she finally whispered his name.

“Gersius,” she cried.

“What?” he replied in sincere concern for her well-being. He knelt beside her, placing a hand on her back to offer some support. “Lilly, I do not like how frightened you are. Please, tell me what is going on so I can help you.”

“I. I just want. I need,” she stammered, struggling to say the words that clutched her heart in fear.

“Lilly, you need to focus and breath,” Gersius urged as he gently rubbed her back. “Just clear your head and try to think of nothing but your breath. Go slowly and breathe deeply and let it wash away your fears.”

Lilly did as he instructed, taking deep breaths as her trembling body shook under his hand. Gersius was deeply concerned about the nature of this encounter. What could have Lilly so upset that she couldn’t even say it?

“Are you any better?” he asked when her breathing slowed.

“I am,” she replied and paused to lick her lips. “There is something I want to ask you, but I am afraid.”

“You have nothing to be afraid of,” Gersius said in as soft a voice as he could muster. “Lilly, I have been waiting for you to talk to me openly for days. I know we have spoken, but so much of it was in anger. So please, whatever you want to say to me, just say it. I promise I will understand.”

“You promise?” Lilly asked as she dared to glance his way.

“Of course I do,” he replied and smiled to help her feel relaxed. “Now, what did you want to ask?”

“I want you to bind me again,” she blurted, then lurched back and covered her mouth as if surprised by her own words. She looked at him with wide eyes, waiting in terrified shock for his answer.

“You? You want me to bind you again?” he repeated and stepped away as her words completely blindsided him. He paced a few steps as his mind raced, trying to make sense of it all, but all he could manage was to ask why.

“What do you mean why?” Lilly replied in a hurt tone. This was not the response Thayle said she would get. Thayle made it sound like he would bind her and be done with it, not argue about why he should do it. Now she was angry that he had once again not understood her feelings. She was growing sick of this game and tired of how hard it was to reach him. Slowly she gained control, rising to her feet as anger replaced fear. Her hands curled into fists as she struggled with the urge to punch him.

“Why would you ask for something like that?” Gersius said.

“Why would I ask?” Lilly growled as her voice grew louder. “Do you have any idea how hard that was for me? I am a dragon asking you to bind me. Why can’t you get that through your thick head?”

Now Gersius was angry as Lilly became insulting. He had done nothing but try to support and encourage her and didn't deserve her anger.

“Why would you want to be bound to me again after all that happened?” he demanded to know.

“I don’t care about what happened,” Lilly snapped as she looked away. “And it isn’t just about being bound.”

“Then what is it about?” Gersius demanded as his frustration mounted. “This has something to do with Thayle, doesn’t it? What crazy reason did you and Thayle come up with to want to be bound again?”

“Thayle had nothing to do with it!” Lilly shouted back. “All she did was help me understand what I wanted.”

“What you wanted?” Gersius questioned. “Are you telling me that after all the pain I caused you and the promises you made to kill me once you were free, you now want to be bound again?”

“Didn’t I just say that?” Lilly asked and stomped a few steps away to look over the city. “I hate it that you don’t understand!”

“What is it that I do not understand?” Gersius asked as he began to plan the words he was going to have with Thayle when this was over. Lilly looked his way with eyes full of rejection and anger. He could tell she was seething over this, but he couldn't understand why.

“Do you feel nothing for me?” Lilly asked out of the blue, her voice full of accusation.

“Feel something? What are you talking about?” Gersius asked, alarmed by the sudden change of direction.

“I am talking about us!” Lilly cried and marched to stand in his face. “I am talking about what we feel for each other!”

Gersius was well and truly perplexed as he noted her clenched fists and took a cautionary step back. For once, he was grateful to be wearing armor while talking with a woman and wondered if he could run to the stairwell before Lilly changed. However, he realized what Lilly was getting at, but how could this possibly be?

“Do you have nothing to say?” Lilly asked when his silence had on too long.

“You,” he began as he took her place as the one who was lost for words. “You feel something for me?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” Lilly shouted and threw her hands up.

“No, it is not,” Gersius replied as his anger came rushing back.

“How could you not see it?” Lilly barked. “I have been trying to get your attention for days!”

“You have done nothing but yell and scream at me for days,” he retorted.

“That was me trying to get your attention!” she insisted.

“Well, you have a strange way of doing it,” he countered as he couldn't believe where this was going.

“I am a dragon!” Lilly shouted as she pointed to herself. “I don’t know how you rodents go about chasing one another.”

Gersius went to shout back when a sudden thought came to mind. “Actually, human women do this pretty much the same way.”

“Then this is all your fault!” Lilly accused and poked him in the chest plate.

“Yes, exactly the same,” he said.

“Well?” Lilly asked and stared into his eyes.

“Well, what?” he replied, unsure of what she wanted.

“Why do you make me repeat myself all the time?” she roared. “I asked you if you feel anything for me!”

Gersius wanted to shout and tell her that she was wrong. His sense of duty and desire to protect her said she would be safer far away from him. He wanted to lie but decided to tell her the truth and let her deal with the consequences.

“Of course I do!” he shouted back. “I have felt something for you since the day I met you. I have struggled to keep you out of my mind and clear my head, but I cannot. When you sat with me by the fires, I knew it was wrong, but I couldn't help myself.”

“What was wrong about that?” Lilly asked in shock.

“What do you mean?” he asked right back as if the answer was obvious. “You are a dragon, and I am a man.”

“So that’s what is bothering you?” Lilly stammered as she shook her head.

“How could it not bother me?” he asked. “You reminded me a dozen times that you were not human and didn’t care for our ways.”

Lilly looked away in surprise as she recalled how many times she had done just that. She tried to think of a way to express how she felt now when her eyes settled on the basin and its mirror of water.

“Here,” she said and grabbed his arm, pulling him to the basin and pressing in tight. She made him lean over the water and pressed her face close to his so they could see their reflections looking back.

“What is this supposed to prove?” he asked.

“Just look and tell me if you remember this moment,” Lilly asked as he stared into the water. “Do you remember what you said to me?”

“I do,” he replied with a hint of shame.

“Good, now it's your turn to tell me what you see. Do you see a dragon or a human woman?” she asked.

He froze as her reflection flooded his mind. She had a pleading hopeful expression as those blue eyes danced with fire. Try as he might to see a dragon, all he could see was Lilly, the beautiful woman he had struggled not to fall in love with.

“What do you see?” she asked again as her cheek pressed against his.

“I see a woman,” he answered honestly and closed his eyes, unable to keep looking.

“Then why are you hiding from me?” Lilly asked as they leaned back. “Thayle said you wanted this.”

“Lilly, I do, but..” he struggled to speak, but she put a hand to his lips to silence him.

“Shhh, just be quiet and let me speak,” Lilly said as she grew tired of letting fear get in the way. Thayle and Ayawa were right, she was afraid to follow her heart, but now she couldn't turn back. Instead, she put her hands to the sides of his face so he couldn't look away as she dared to tell him just how she felt.

“Please, just for now, stop calling me that. I took that name because I was frightened and didn't want to be reminded that I was bound to you. I know when we are with others, I have to be Lilly, but we are alone, and I am no longer afraid. Now please, call me by my real name so I can relish that you know it.”

“Azurastra,” he said carefully. “I have always loved you and dreamed of telling you a hundred times. But I never dared to believe you would accept my affections, and I did not want you to feel threatened by the binding. I set my feelings aside because you were a dragon, and I never thought you could love me.”

“Why would I feel threatened?” she asked.

“Because I held the bind, and you might worry I would force my desires on you. I promised to treat you with dignity and respect, and I….”

“Never break a promise,” Lilly finished for him as she began to understand. It all started to make sense as she considered what he promised from the very beginning. Further, he demonstrated just how far he was willing to go to keep a promise when they arrived in Whiteford. She realized that the solution lay with her. She needed to give him permission.

“I understand how you feel,” she began as she reached up to take his hands. “In the beginning, I made it clear I was a dragon, and you were beneath me. But I don't feel that way anymore. So tell me how you feel, and I promise I won't refuse you.”

“You want me to love you?” he asked in shock as a dream he didn’t dare have came true.

Lilly smiled as tears began to well up. She nodded her answer, causing them to run down her cheeks in glistening trails. Gersius was stunned that this beautiful creature was openly asking him to love her. He struggled to think of the words when another more profound idea came to his heart.

“I want to love you,” he said slowly and took her hands. “But there is something we must do first. Please stand with me; I want to do this right.”

Lilly nodded her agreement as they stood and waited with terrible anxiety as he led her back to the marble platform.

“What are we doing?” she asked.

“What I should have done a long time ago,” he replied and rubbed at her hands. “I want to prove how strongly I feel about you and that I trust you with my life. This way, there will be no boundary or limitation between us.”

“How are you going to do that?” she whispered.

Gersius smiled as he looked deep into her eyes, feeling an absolute compulsion to love the woman before him. He wanted to make sure she understood just how committed to her he was and take away any fear she ever had from the bind.

“Listen carefully,” he began with a tender voice. “I want to share a secret with you. One that I trust you to know. My true name is Lorozrithel.”

Lilly’s head tipped to the side as her expression changed to one of absolute shock. He could see her struggling to understand what had just happened as he waited patiently for her to respond.

“But, you are a mortal,” she said and began to look around in confusion. “The secret of your true name is hidden from you. How could you possibly know it?”

“What you say is true, but do not forget I was a knight Captain of Astikar. When one attains such a rank, they must undergo a sacred rite and be approved by the god himself. It is a form of holy communion where one is overcome by the power of Astikar and blessed with increased power. In this moment of connection, we see and hear many things, one of which is the secret of our true name.”

“Do you honestly know your true name?” Lilly asked in disbelief.

“I do, and now so do you,” he replied and curled his fingers over hers. He knelt before her, looking up with a smile as he uttered his heart's deepest desire. “Now, bind me.”

Lilly shook her head, unable to believe what she was hearing. “You can't mean that,” she stammered. “You just can't! Why would you tell me to do this?”

“Because I want you to know that I trust and love you. I want you to bind my heart so I will always belong to you,” he replied.

“You want to belong to me?” Lilly whispered as her dragon nature to possess things was stirred by his offer.

He took her hand and placed it over his heart, asking if she wanted to own him.

“Yes!” she cried in excitement and began to tremble again. “I want you to be mine!”

“Then bind me, now and forever. Bind my heart to yours, and I will always be at your side,” he urged.

“You are sure you want this?” she asked as her voice began to strain.

“Lilly, I am already yours,” he said with a reassuring nod. “I am just offering the binding as the proof.”

She shook with mouth agape, unable to speak the words. She tried to put a hand to his head and begin the chant, but deep inside, something cried out against it.

“I. I can’t,” she said and wiped at her eyes. “You’re the one who needs my help to complete your prophecy. I want to bind you more than anything I have ever wanted, but the prophecy says you are meant to lead.”

“The prophecy says I will walk through the gate ahead of you,” he corrected. “It makes no mention of who is bound to who. I offer you this gift so you will never doubt my heart again. I trust you to keep my soul.”

Tears ran down Lilly's cheeks as she looked into the eyes of the man who loved her. She felt something twisting inside, a longing to have him and know he was hers. She would prefer to be the one bound to him, but if this was the way forward, she would claim him instead. She reached out to begin the incantation when a beautiful idea came to mind. She fell to her knees, kneeling before him, and leaned forward to press her lips to his. She had seen Tavis and Ayawa do it many times and hoped this would convey the proper affection.

“What are you doing?” Gersius asked as she leaned back to admire the shocked look on his face.

“Let's do it together,” she whispered. “I will bind you as you bind me. That way, there will be no restrictions or limitations between us. We will belong to each other, now and forever.”

He nodded and replied with a simple answer. “Together then.”

They bowed their heads and placed their hands before two voices called out in unison. They evoked a sacred and ancient power, weaving a chain of command around one another. The sky above reacted with dark clouds boiling out of the blue of a sunny day. Distant thunder began to roll as a sudden wind whipped at the secluded ledge. Together they pushed the binding forward, accidentally unlocking a secret hidden from gods and man. The temple began to shake as if trembling in fear as the moment of completion drew closer. They spoke the final words, completing the binding and triggering a magic that only works when two hearts bind as one.

It was over just as quickly as it had begun, and everything returned to calm. Lilly lifted her eyes to look into those of her keeper and dared a second kiss. Thayle was right, she needed to be bound to him again, but now it was something very different. As the kiss went on, she began to see images and thoughts as if his very mind was hers. There, on a garden ledge, they realized just how close they had become.


Thayle leaned over the railing, looking up the gorge at the sky as the dark clouds began to dissipate. A storm of sorts had blown up out of nowhere and seemed to have abated just as quickly.

“I don’t know how to explain it,” she said as she gave up.

“I swear I felt the ground shaking,” Tavis added. “But that thunder was too far away to cause that.”

“I felt it too,” Ayawa added and glanced to the sky. “I hope this isn’t a bad omen.”

“I am sure it has nothing to do with them,” Thayle said and walked to the table to get a glass of water. The wait was becoming maddening, and the longer it went on, the more unsure she became. Thus it was to some relief when the door opened, and they walked in. She was even more relieved to see smiles for a change and noted they walked hand in hand.

“Welcome back,” Tavis said with a broad smile. “I hope you resolved your differences.”

“Forget their differences,” Ayawa stated and turned her gaze on Thayle. “You can see their light. Tell us, did the fool manage to get it done?”

Thayle set her glass aside and approached the couple while scrutinizing their aura. She saw the familiar red chain, but it was very different and much brighter. Instead of running from Gersius to Lilly, it looped around them instead. There was a new light, a golden ball of radiant power nestled right where the two loops crossed. Thayle had never seen anything like this before and was sure it was absent from her training. She struggled to make sense of the display and turned to Lilly for some guidance. Lilly leaned into Gersius as he put his arm around her back and held her tight. She smiled at Thayle and laid her head on his shoulder, closing her eyes with a contented sigh.

“Well? What do you see?” Ayawa pressed.

“I don't know,” Thayle said as she tried to make sense of it. Why would the chain be a loop that tied them both? What could they have done that would create such a profound effect? Suddenly the truth dawned on her, and she looked to Gersius, who nodded in understanding.

“Go ahead,” he urged. “Tell them what you see.”

“They both did it,” Thayle said in shock.

“What do you mean they both did?” Ayawa asked.

Thayle turned around to smile as she started to comprehend the true immensity of what happened. “They are both bound, one to the other,” she said.

“They are both bound?” Tavis said as he and Ayawa shared a confused glance.

“Impossible,” Ayawa retorted and threw up a hand to wave Tavis off. “The old magic doesn’t work that way. One of them has to be the master.”

“It can’t be impossible because they have done it,” Thayle insisted as she practically bounced. “Ulustrah be praised! They are joined in a way no blessing or ceremony could ever hope to achieve!”

“You are very good at your job,” Tavis laughed as he tipped his hat back.

“I had no hand in this,” Thayle assured while turning back to Lilly and Gersius. “All I did was help them understand.”

“Where is the music? I want to dance,” Lilly asked as she opened her eyes and smiled.

“Of course,” Thayle said with a nod. “Prime Arlin was watching to see when you came down. I am sure he is aware, and they are on the way already.”

“Good,” Lilly replied and nestled into Gersius more closely. “I want to dance again.”

At that precise moment, Prime Arlin arrived at the head of five men in colorful clothes. Each carried a musical instrument and quickly moved to set up in the corner. Behind them came eight women carrying trays of foods as a stout cask full of wine. He instructed them to place the items on the table and then moved to greet Lilly and Gersius.

“I am honored to see you both as Ulustrah intended,” he said with a broad smile. “I must admit I was aware of your intentions and had a spy of sorts watching for when you came down. I wanted to help honor this occasion and thank you for bringing such a blessing to our temple.”

“Thayle told us you were watching,” Gersius said with a nod. “And we appreciate all you have done for us.”

Prime Arlin smiled, but his expression changed to one of wonder as he stared at something only he and Thayle could see. He turned to Thayle while pointing to the air before the lovers and asked what he was seeing.

“It’s the bind,” Thayle said as she joined his side.

“You said it would be a chain between them,” he replied and leaned over to stare at something. “And what is this light? This is nothing like what you described to me.”

“That’s because it is very different,” Thayle sighed as Lilly giggled and played with Gersius’s hand. “I am afraid they found a way to reach an even higher summit of beauty than I anticipated.”

Prime Arlin stood straight and turned to Thayle, asking what they could possibly have done that was more profound than Lilly's willing submission.

“Gersius has submitted to her as well,” Thayle explained. “They are both bound, each to the other.”

“Can that even be done?” Prime Arlin gasped as Thayle shrugged and pointed to the evidence. The two studied the light together a moment more before he had to agree there was no other conclusion. “This is a miracle blessed by the divines,” he muttered and turned to Thayle. “You are very good at your job.”

Lilly and Gersius laughed as he repeated Tavis's comment from a moment ago. Thayle protested it again, stating that she had no idea they would come together so completely.

“You underestimate yourself,” Prime Arlin said with a broad smile and clapped her shoulder. “You have shown over and over that you were right. Your place was serving the people, and the goddess herself must have guided your choice of temple.”

“Thank you,” Thayle said with a slight blush.

“Now then,” he said while turning to Lilly and Gersius. “Truly, I can see the love in your aura. Your dedication to one another is a great blessing, and I find it inspiring to see such love. Thank you for coming here and allowing us to share in this moment.”

Lilly blushed and had to look away as Gersius thanked him for sheltering them. He made it clear that he felt that they would never have gotten this far without a safe place to recover. He then pointed to Thayle and said she deserved all the credit because she never gave up even when he and Lilly did.”

“I did hardly anything,” Thayle insisted as she was struck by Gersius’s kind words.

“She refuses to take credit for anything she does,” Prime Arlin said with a shake of his head. “It has always been her way to credit the goddess and downplay her role. However, the proof flows around you like the ring of marriage, and I have to admit I have never seen such a thing. Truly this is a rare and momentous occasion, and I will see it celebrated with music and dancing.”

“I very much want to dance,” Lilly said excitedly and tapped on Gersius's armor. “Go and take this off. It's uncomfortable to lean on.”

“I guess I need to change,” Gersius replied with a nod to Prime Arlin, who bade him hurry and not keep the lady waiting. He went to his room and returned a few moments later dressed in his pants and shirt. Lilly came to his arms as he arrived, and the dancing began and continued for a dozen songs. The others danced for some of them, but Lilly didn't notice. All that filled her thoughts were images of him and a sense of his presence like never before. The bind was stronger now, and she could feel his love as if it was water to bathe in. She was utterly awash in its outpouring, and as the night went by, a desire grew.

They parted for a bit to sample the food, and Gersius poured her a drink from the cask. It turned out to be a dark red wine, and Lilly readily drank it up, proclaiming the flavor to be wonderful.

“Easy on the wine,” Gersius urged as he sipped his own cup. “It can make you sick if you drink too much.”

“I can’t get sick,” Lilly replied as she set her empty cup down. “I am a dragon, remember? I can eat poisonous foods and not feel a thing.”

“Wine is a little different than poison,” he insisted and set his cup aside. “And I have seen it have a profound effect on those new to drinking it.”

“Then I will get to have a new experience,” Lilly replied with a smile and took his hand. “I want more dancing.”

They returned to the flow, dancing as if they were the only two present in the room. They paused again to eat and drink as Lilly clung to his arm, basking in the sensation of his feelings. Prime Arlin stopped to bless them with Ulustrah's love and wished great happiness for their future. It was a magical moment as the problems faded away, and all that existed was him. She started into Gersius's eyes as they swayed around the room, wondering why she had ever resisted.

The sky was blanketed with stars when the party ended, and Lilly swayed in the pleasant throws of too much drink. She parted from Gersius with a kiss and then slipped away to her door to waive for Thayle's attention.

“Did you need something?” Thayle asked as he approached the tipsy dragon.

“I need your help with something,” Lilly said nervously as she watched Gersius’s door close. She motioned Thayle into her room and quickly shut the door so that they would be alone.

“Of course. What did you need?” Thayle asked.

Lilly struggled to clear her head and think her own thoughts. Something about the bind was drowning her in a river of thoughts flowing from him. It carried her own rationale away and replaced it with his, giving her a strong need to do something she had never thought of before. With a deep breath, she lowered her head and admitted she wanted to share his bed.

“Well, that was fast,” Thayle said with a smirk. “Even I expected it would take a week at least to change your mind.”

“Thayle!” Lilly cried in anguish. “That was very hard to admit. Must you embarrass me over it?”

“I’m sorry,” Thayle said and put a hand on Lilly’s shoulder to steady her. “But tell me, how much did you have to drink?”

“What does that have to do with anything?” Lilly asked.

“Wine has a tendency to make hard decisions easier,” Thayle laughed. “I have seen it change a woman’s mind in a single glass.”

“Gersius said I shouldn't drink too much because it would make me sick,” Lilly replied.

“Silly dragon,” Thayle laughed. “Under normal circumstances, I would suggest you wait until you're less influenced. However, considering what you did in the garden and how I just saw you dance with him, I suspect you really want to do this. The wine is only making it easier.”

“So you can tell me what to do?” Lilly asked.

Thayle nodded with a broad smile and leaned over to whisper in Lilly’s ear.

“That’s all I have to do?” Lilly asked, surprised that it was so simple.

“Trust me,” Thayle said with a giggle. “You do that, and Gersius will take care of the rest. Even he can't possibly miss that signal. But be ready, sweetheart. You are going to enjoy this in ways you never dreamed possible.”

“I’m nervous,” Lilly replied.

“Don't be,” Thayle urged. “This is the right path and will make your love stronger.”

Lilly nodded that she had understood and Thanked Thayle for all her help. She quickly reached out and embraced Thayle in a hug full of warmth and passion. “I will never forget what you did for us.”

“You are most welcome, sweetheart,” Thayle said as she savored the hug. When Lilly finally let her go, she gave her a knowing pat on the cheek and then left the room so Lilly could get ready.

Lilly waited a few minutes to allow the outer hall to clear. She was still nervous about what came next but desired to go forward. Without thinking about it, she took the first step, removing her jewelry and underclothes. Wearing nothing but the dress, she exited the room and forced herself to walk down the hall. Outside his door, she pressed a hand against the surface, feeling his presence even though she couldn't see him. The bind was so much more powerful, and she realized he knew she was there. With no reason to pretend otherwise, she opened the door and went in to see him waiting inside.

“Lilly?” he asked as his emotions flowed over the bind. She suddenly felt his joy and excitement to see her crashing against her solus like waves on a rocky shore. She almost faulted in the sudden rush but held her ground against the torrent.

“I would like to sleep in here tonight,” she said while blushing and struggling to make eye contact.

“Of course. The other bed is yours,” he replied and gestured to it.

Lilly's heart began to pound as she struggled to follow Thayle's second instruction. It was such a simple thing, but to even think it was terrifying.

“Is something the matter?” he asked when he noted the trembling.

She had to look away to find the courage, but slowly her hands began to move. She reached up and pulled the straps of her dress over her shoulders. She then put her arms down, allowing the dress to fall away and gather at her feet. Now she stood exposed just as Thayle instructed as a wave of joy flooded her from over the bind. She stared at the floor, waiting for him to take control, when strong hands curled about her arms.

“You are sure you want to do this?” he whispered in one ear.

She couldn’t speak but managed to nod her consent as her heart raced in the tension.

“Then, from now on, you will sleep in our bed,” he said and swept her up in his arms.

That night Lilly did indeed learn a new experience. She learned what it meant to make love.

The end of book 1

4