Chapter 39 – A New Face
92 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Checkmate,” Christine said with a smug look as she trapped her opponent's King in the corner of the board with her Queen.

“It seems I've lost,” the old man sitting opposite her said with a warm smile, no hint of bitterness in his voice. “You are very smart for someone your age, Your Highness.”

“Thank you for the compliment, General Pashar. Coming from a man like you, you're words mean much to me,” Christine said with a bright smile. Any chess game was a breeze for someone who had a brain like Christine's, but that didn't mean she no longer enjoyed beating other people at it. “Would you care for another game?”

“Please save me from further embarrassment, Your Highness. I don't want to lose five games straight in a single afternoon.”

“You're no fun,” Christine grumbled with a pout. She enjoyed winning against the old man, who was said to be the smartest tactician who ever lived in the kingdom. They were only rumors, but the old man's intellect showed itself during their chess games. Even Christine with her Authority had to turn a bit serious during their games.

“Is that any way to talk to the highest-ranking general in the kingdom?” a feminine voice suddenly said. The voice reverberated in the large opulent parlor reserved only for the most esteemed guests in the castle where Christine and the old man had been playing.

“Great, she's here again,” Christine grumbled as she crossed her arms and glared at the open window where a huge mass of vines started crawling inside the room. The vines intertwined with each other as they crawled along the floor, all the way to the small table where Christine and General Pashar had been playing chess.

The mass of vines began writhing and morphed into a body made of bark with long hair made out of vibrant leaves. The ‘skin’ on its face rippled as human features twisted into existence, displaying a beautiful feminine face. The woman opened her eyes, glittering with a bright emerald hue.

“Lady Kethra Palmer! It is a great honor to meet you here,” the old general immediately said as he stood from his seat and gave a formal bow.

“It is nice to see you still healthy and spry despite your age, Nilus,” Kethra replied as she looked him up and down with a neutral gaze. “Now if you'll excuse us, my wayward student here has already wasted enough time trying to escape her lessons.”

“At once, my Lady,” General Pashar said before quickly leaving the room, shooting a wry smile at Christine as he closed the door behind him. Christine knew it was revenge for all the times she beat him at chess and her pout grew deeper.

Since their first meeting during her fifth birthday, Christine had been studying under the Gardener's tutelage for a year. Unlike the usual lessons of the tutors that the Queen hired, Kethra's lessons had been focused more on developing Christine's Authority. Christine would have enjoyed learning more about her unusual power if not for Kethra's strict demeanor and ruthless way of teaching. As such, she had always tried to escape the Gardener's grueling lessons.

“I'm impressed, child,” Kethra began once the two of them were alone in the room. “I've known you and your tricks for a year already and yet you still manage to elude my grasp. Your abilities are growing stronger, although it is quite distressing that you use your rare power for things like escaping your lessons.”

“Why thank you,” Christine said with a sarcastic smile.

“That was not a compliment, Christine. Your behavior is upsetting.”

“I know. That's why I'm doing it.” Christine stuck out her tongue mockingly.

Kethra's face remained impassive as she stared at her student. “Are you done acting like a child?”

“I'm a child, stupid. Of course I'm going to act like one,” Christine said with a sniff.

“You know that isn't true,” Kethra replied. “But if that is what you want to believe, then I will leave you to it. Lessons are better learned the hard way.”

Christine snorted, but she couldn't help but feel a tinge of discomfort at the Ascendant's words. She decided to change the topic. “Are you going to keep on talking all day? You're wasting time.”

“The only time being wasted is yours. I have all the time in the world, little princess. I can sleep for a decade and I would have lost nothing. A decade for you would be enough time to lose your kingdom from an invasion or a revolution, yet you dally around playing games and avoiding your duty.”

“Oh yeah, I forgot you were a tree,” Christine muttered.

“I am not a tree,” Kethra said, her neutral expression breaking to display a hint of anger.

“Alright alright, let's get on with the lesson already,” Christine hurriedly said while looking nervously at her mentor's face. Being an annoying smartass was one thing, but angering Kethra was something Christine didn't want to experience. “Are we going for the usual training again?”

For the past few months, Kethra had been putting Christine through intense training sessions that pushed her Authority to the limits. Counting the total number of leaves in the garden within a minute, measuring the castle's dimensions to the thousandths with a single glance, memorizing each blade of grass that Kethra plucked randomly and recognizing it correctly if Kethra asked her to identify a specific one. Christine had endured all kinds of trials that would have brought a harsh punishment if she failed, and she triumphed over all of them with only her mind. The tasks were hard, but it was no match for Christine's mind, although she wished Kethra would stop it with her unreasonable training method.

Kethra eyed Christine blankly for a few seconds before answering. “We will not be doing the usual training for now. I've realized that doing the usual training consecutively without rest has resulted in you being more petulant and unruly.”

“It took you that long to realize that?!” Christine asked incredulously. “Anybody would act the same way as me when they're being forced to do something they don't want!”

“I am not gifted with a mind that could process things thousands of times faster than the normal person, so you'll have to cut me some slack,” Kethra replied, miffed.

“You don't need a powerful mind to realize that.”

“Anyway, our lesson today will be more conceptual in nature,” Kethra said, ignoring Christine. She sat down on the chair where General Pashar sat earlier and hovered her hand over the chess pieces. Tendrils of vines emerged from her fingertips and rearranged the chess pieces to their starting position. “Let's have a game, shall we?”

“Are you sure? I'm just gonna end up beating you,” Christine said without any smugness. She wasn't bragging, merely stating a fact that she knew to be true.

“Only if you use your Authority. For the duration of this game, I want you to cease using your power,” Kethra replied before moving one of her white pawns two spaces forward.

“Okay then,” Christine said before shutting off her Authority. The constant barrage of information that always entered her mind every second immediately ceased. Her mind felt like a theater where the orchestra abruptly stopped playing their instruments. It was suddenly quiet. “Wow, I forgot how it felt to think like a normal person again,” Christine muttered. When she was younger, she deactivated her Authority from time to time to feel like a normal person, but she slowly got used to her power over the years until she no longer bothered deactivating it.

“That is also a part of our lesson today,” Kethra said as Christine made her move. “Over the years of having your Authority, I'm sure you've already realized powerful we Ascendants are. Objectively speaking, we are one of the most powerful beings that could possibly exist in this world, given time.”

“I already knew that early on, Lady Kethra. All the books I've read so far about Ascendants tell me that we're the biggest fish in the sea,” Christine said. Her face was frowning in discomfort as she assessed the board. Turning off her Authority felt wrong. Instead of feeling at peace after a long time of constantly processing information around her like a computer, the ‘peace’ in her mind felt more like ‘emptiness.’

“Are you feeling alright?” Kethra asked Christine.

“I'm fine.”

“If you say so,” Kethra said as she captured Christine's knight with a pawn.

Dammit, how did I not see that coming?! Christine thought as she fought down the discomfort.

“But just because we are one of the most powerful beings in Thera doesn't mean we are without weaknesses,” Kethra said as she watched Christine squirm in her seat. “An impregnable fortress never falls from a direct attack. It only falls when it is attacked from within. Treachery from a trusted ally or starvation after months of being besieged. The walls of a fortress are strong, but the people within it are fragile.”

“Your point is?” Christine asked with annoyance as she tried to think of a way out of her predicament. Kethra had pinned her rook and her bishop, forcing her to save only one or the other.

“My point is that Ascendants can be killed as well, albeit not through ordinary means,” Kethra said as she watched Christine's frowning face turn calm as the Princess made her move confidently, before frowning in discomfort again. It was obvious that the princess had used her Authority for a fraction of a second, but Kethra remained silent. “With the power we possess, it is rare for an Ascendant to fall in battle. For all our ridiculous levels of strength, the foremost killer of Ascendants is ourselves.”

“What do you mean?” Christine asked as she started seeing her path to victory. Only a few moves left.

“Our Authorities come with a price, little princess,” Kethra said as she assessed the board. Her earlier advantages had disappeared as Christine dominated the board. She was losing, but Kethra showed no indication of dismay. “Take me for an example. I was once human, just like you. I ate, I drank, I defecated, I made love. I used to have all the flaws and intricacies of a human, but constantly using my power for years had slowly changed me. It started small. Darker and coarser skin. A fragrant, flowery smell despite not using any perfume. Thicker and more luscious hair. I foolishly attributed it to the natural developments of a woman. But when patches of my skin turned to bark and leaves started growing from my scalp, I knew I was changing.”

Christine was no longer looking at the board. There was only one move left before Kethra's King was checkmated, but Christine's attention was no longer in the game as her eyes stared hard into Kethra's with a fearful expression.

“By the time I realized that constantly using my Authority was turning me into something else, it was too late,” Kethra said as she looked outside the window with an unreadable expression. “My hair had fully turned into leaves, my skin into bark, my organs into green, fibrous flesh that flowed with sap. I was no longer the woman I once was.”

Christine gulped nervously and tried to keep her voice from shaking. “B-But it's just your outer appearance, right? You're still you.”

Kethra shifted her gaze back to Christine. “Turning into what I am now made me immortal, little princess. Centuries have already passed since my full transformation, and I cannot remember who I once was. The chances of me being the same Kethra and of me being an entirely different person are equal. But one thing remains clear: continue to use your Authority without pause and you'll someday end up into something else, little princess.”

“I know transforming into something else is quite bad, but how does that lead to our own doom?”

“The human mind is built for a human body, little princess. Humans are one of the most capable creatures when it comes to adaptation, but not all Ascendants can adapt to their transformations,” Kethra said as she looked at her wooden arms. “Authorities do not only affect the body but the mind as well. Most Ascendants can handle the urges, but not all. When they fail to adapt, their mind breaks down and they become nothing more than an uncontrollable force of nature.”

“T-Then I'll just stop using it then,” Christine stuttered. “If I knew this power had such costs, I would have stopped using it right away.”

“Would you?” Kethra asked with a tilt of her head. “I told you to cease using your Authority for this game, yet you disobeyed.”

“I-I didn't use it!”

“I could smell your lies from a mile away, Christine.”

“This is different! This is just a game!” Christine exclaimed, but as the seconds ticked by with her Authority inactive, a nagging urge inside her mind started to take root. I need to know… I need to know why the lamp flickers, why the sun shines, why the air is cool on my skin, why the creature in front of me lives and speaks…

Christine activated her Authority and a flood of information about everything she could sense washed over her mind. It brought her warmth and comfort from the cold void of ignorance. Knowing about everything her body could sense gave her a feeling of security. She sighed in relief.

“See what I mean?” Kethra said as she stared at Christine's relieved expression. “The game is not even finished and you already cannot resist the urges brought about by your Authority.”

This time, Christine no longer had any excuse. She felt a faint feeling of dread at what she would become if she let the urges of her Authority rule her mind. “What do I do?”

“The solution is simple, but it will be the most difficult trial you will ever experience,” Kethra said. “From now on, you are forbidden from using your Authority in any capacity unless I say so.”

“What?! That's impossible!” Christine shouted incredulously. She recalled the urges earlier, like insidious little voices whispering in her ear, and shook her head vehemently. “I can't do that!”

“Then that is unfortunate,” Kethra said nonchalantly as she stood up from her seat and started making her way to the window.

“Wait, you're not going to force me?” Christine asked dubiously. She remembered all the trials Kethra forced her through to train her Authority, and each time, her mentor never took no for an answer.

“If I could, I would have indeed forced you to do it, but your Authority is your own, little princess. There is literally no way I can force you to stop using it, so I leave the decision in your hands,” Kethra said as she stepped out of the window.

Christine sat alone in the parlor, shocked about everything she had learned. Her mind worked at maximum capacity as she processed everything and immediately came to a conclusion: she had to stay human. She had a lot of reasons as to why she came up with that decision, but it was in large part due to her hope that Brogen was reincarnated in this world somewhere as well. She couldn't face him if she turned into some kind of monster.

The chances of Brogen reincarnating in this world were infinitesimal. Her mind had brutally calculated the probability of that happening long ago and the results were disheartening. She was better off hoping for pigs to start raining from the sky. But despite it, Christine still hoped. Until she obtained concrete evidence that Brogen was truly dead, Christine would continue to hope until her skin wrinkled from age.

Her hope was what made her Awaken into an Ascendant and gave her the strength to face this alien world. Her hope was what gave her the willpower to succeed in Kethra's merciless trials. And now, her hope will give her the determination to stop herself from turning into something like Kethra, who had lost her identity and had forgotten who she used to be.

“For Brogen, I must do this,” Christine whispered to herself. With a deep breath, she deactivated her Authority.

The urges immediately began their whispers.

●●●

“And that's the second room finished,” I announced triumphantly as Mr. Marion finished hauling the last batch of rocks and debris from the newly dug room. My skin was dripping with sweat from the heat of my spellcasting, and my mind was a bit tired, but a smile still graced my face. In a span of a few days, we had finished digging two large rooms inside my cave, the beginnings of a huge underground complex I aim to build as my company headquarters.

Right after our battle with the blasted panther, my puppets and I immediately continued our task of expanding the cave. The conundrum of what to do with the captive goblins held us up for a few hours, but in the end, I decided to release them back to the forest. I couldn't bring myself to kill the childlike monsters, so I just freed them from their bonds and gave them a stern warning not to come back, although I was sure they didn't understand my words.

When we let them go, the goblins fled to the southeast, which meant that area was probably where the rest of them lived. If weak monsters like goblins controlled the area southeast of my home, then that meant I didn't have to worry too much about possible threats in that direction. That was where my puppets sighted the panther and where I assumed its home was, but I doubted it would stay there after the thrashing it just experienced several days ago, although I'll continue to be cautious of it.

The new rooms we dug in my cave took several days to complete, which was actually pretty fast. The rooms were as spacious as the largest warehouses in Wildpost, and since my cave was located at the bottom of a sheer cliff, we were able to make the ceiling as high as we wanted without having to worry about breaking over the surface.

My puppets' immense strength and endurance contributed to our fast progress, but the bulk of the effort was actually done on my part. I developed a new type of Wild spell built for the specific task of digging through hard rock, which did the job hundreds of times faster compared to my puppets manually digging through rock with their flimsy pickaxes.

Spell: Force Drill Type: Wild Magic Level: Third Circle Description: Creates a fast-rotating conical field of force with sharp ‘teeth’ jutting out from its surface. Important note: Useful for tunneling through hard rock, although it consumes a huge amount of mana to keep it working.

The Force Drill was a very powerful spell that could dig through rock as if it was butter, but unlike my other third-circle spells that only needed mana channeled into it at the beginning, the Force Drill required a constant stream of mana to function and took me far longer to cast it. The rotating feature of the spell gave it a lot of power when digging through rock, but it also made the spell more complicated and expensive. Because of this, the spell was only good for digging and not for fighting.

We did encounter some setbacks while we dug through the rocks, like parts of the ceiling collapsing and almost burying us with debris. Fortunately, my puppets were impossible to kill with blunt attacks and easily shrugged off the times when huge clumps of rocks fell on them. As for me, my Force Shields were enough to deflect falling debris.

“With that done, it's time for us to visit the village again,” I announced to my puppets as I ate lunch in the clearing. Mr. Marion had roasted an entire warg leg for me. It was a bit bland without seasonings, but it still tasted far better than most fares I've eaten.

What are we going to do in the village, Master? Taloress asked.

“A week has already passed after I sold Kane the first batch of clothes and today is the scheduled date for the second batch. If we're lucky, I might be able to increase my prices further depending on how much Kane sold my clothes for.” My eyes lit up with greed at the thought of earning hundreds of gold again for something so easy to do. I had already finished making the second batch yesterday, and instead of the hundred Mr. Kane and I agreed on, I managed to make an additional fifty!

“After that,” I continued, “I'll be asking around about how they make their clothes. There has to be somebody in the village who knows how to process raw materials into fabric the normal way. And once we learn how to make fabric, then we can start fitting our new rooms with the equipment we need.”

After quickly finishing my lunch and wrapping up the leftovers, we rode on the wagon and left for Wildpost while Spider stayed to guard the cave.

●●●

The hunters greeted me warmly as I led Clip and Clop through the village gates. I could sense the clothing of hundreds of people moving about the village with a spring in their gait and was glad to see that the villagers were cheerful, an indication that no monster attack had occurred recently.

When we arrived at the village center, I allowed Taloress to visit her friend Selise while Mr. Marion and I went straight to the Bitter Philter. I could already see Kane's wagon parked at the front, his bison-like beasts of burden munching on buckets filled with feed.

My brows knotted in confusion. Kane's wagon was right there, but the man himself was not in the vicinity. The only clothes I could detect nearby were two feminine sets of clothing inside Kath's shop. One was a long dress with an apron hanging on the front, which was probably Kath's, and the other was a simple but beautiful dress made of exquisite fabric, hidden beneath a nondescript cloak. I was sure nobody in the village owned expensive clothes like that, which meant it was an outsider.

I shook my head. Since when did I start calling people not from the village ‘outsiders?’ It's not like I'm a true member of Wildpost myself.

I checked Mr. Marion's body for any crease or dirt before nodding to myself in satisfaction. It was crucial that I always present myself fashionably.

Nobody here has the sense to appreciate the perfection you always embody in your ensemble, Master, Tedd said from within Mr. Marion's coat.

It doesn't matter, Tedd. People around here only value pragmatism. They do not bother with things like fashion and presentability, I said with a bit of disdain. I knew people led hard lives in the middle of a monster-infested forest and had no time for appearances, but I couldn't help thinking of them with contempt for their lack of appreciation for fashion. If I had my way with them, I'd strip them all of the rags they call clothes and dress them up with a proper attire that would shame even a king.

Confident that Mr. Marion's appearance was the best it could be, I entered the Bitter Philter.

“Good morning, Miss Kath. I hope the day finds you well—”

The words died in my mouth as my eyes landed on the other woman standing by the counter. Calling her pretty wouldn't be enough to justify the sheer beauty she possessed. She had long, luscious hair that fell down her back like a black curtain and shone under the light of the magic lanterns in the shop. Her face looked gentle and pure, accentuated by her round eyes and small smile. A beauty mark graced the corner of her left eye.

“Good morning to you too, Mr. Marion,” Kath replied with a smirk. “Are you going to stare at my guest all day or are you going to introduce yourself?”

The beautiful woman giggled cutely at me as I felt my cheeks burn in embarrassment. This is just a part of puberty! I told myself. It was true, although it didn't mean I liked it. Despite my true age, I felt like a love-struck teen who finally experienced his first crush. Get it together, Brogen! Just put on the Mr. Marion persona and act like a gentleman!

“Apologies, my fair lady. I didn't expect such a stunning beauty to greet my eyes the moment I entered the room,” I said as I bowed formally as if we were in a ball. “Witnessing your radiance reminded me of the coming spring, with how you look just like a blooming flower.”

The woman's giggles turned into full-blown laughter. Even the sound of it was tantalizing.

“The people here talk proudly of Mr. Marion and his exploits, but I didn't know he was a charmer as well.”

People talk proudly of me?

It is only fitting for them to do so after experiencing Master's blessings, Tedd muttered.

“It seems my reputation precedes me. I hope you've only heard good things. May I ask what brings you here to a remote village like Wildpost?”

“Ah, I see you haven't heard of the news yet,” Kath said. “My son had been recently promoted by the trading company he was working for. He is now a general manager of one of the largest businesses in Halros, and so he can no longer continue with his former job of delivering goods to our village.”

My face fell at the revelation. If Kane will no longer visit Wildpost, then that meant I'd have to personally go to Halros just to sell my products. Something I couldn't do while I was busy building my headquarters.

“I know what you're thinking, but you don't have to worry about your deal with my son, Mr. Marion,” Kath said as she gestured to the beautiful lady. “She will be replacing Kane's role in the village.”

“I will be glad to substitute for Mr. Kane regarding the deals you made with him, Mr. Marion,” the beautiful woman assured. “Whatever prices the two of you agreed upon will stay the same, unless you wished to renegotiate.”

I sighed in relief. “That's fine, then.” I offered a handshake to the beautiful lady. “Looking forward to working with you. By the way, I'm afraid I didn't quite catch your name.”

“Ah, I'm afraid I've forgotten basic courtesies. My name is Rella. I look forward to working with you as well, Mr. Marion,” the woman said with a large smile.

●●●

After a few minutes of small talk, Rella and I started our negotiations for the second batch of clothing I'd be selling her. I immediately laid down the fact that I wouldn't be giving any discounts this time. A ten percent discount for one hundred clothes is something I could still tolerate, but for a hundred and fifty? That would be too huge a loss.

I expected Rella to vehemently oppose it, but I was shocked when she easily surrendered after a token effort to make a counter-argument. Beautiful and cute she may be, she was not a merchant, and I couldn't help but feel a bit of disdain for her. I didn't take Kane to be such an idiot to make Rella his substitute. Just because the lady was beautiful didn't mean she'd win every negotiation with a man. I may be a bit smitten with her, but I didn't negotiate with my manhood.

“And the total would all add up to a thousand and eight hundred gold, Miss Rella,” I said evenly, making a conscious effort to keep the excitement from my voice. Not only did I remove the discount, I even managed to hike up the price of each piece of clothing to twelve gold from the original ten. Compared to the first transaction, my profits had doubled!

“I'll take it,” Rella said with her radiant smile. I struggled to keep myself from dancing in joy. Hah, Kane had sent a dimwit to substitute him!

“How would you like to take care of the balance, Miss Rella? I usually prefer monthly installments, but you can also pay me annually, although I'm afraid that would entail an interest—”

“Don't worry, Mr. Marion. I can pay you now in full,” Rella said confidently. “Let me just get the money.”

I stared at her dumbfoundedly as she left the store. Last I checked, Rella had no guards hanging around outside, which meant she made the trip to Wildpost with no security, all while carrying thousands of gold.

When Rella returned with a large sack that clinked as she walked, my mouth was still open from shock. “Here you go, Mr. Marion. One thousand and eight hundred gold.”

“A-Aren't you going to check the goods first?” I stuttered as I received the sack of gold from Rella. The sack was heavier than it looked, as proven by the small increase of Mr. Marion's mana expenditure when he retrieved the sack, yet Rella had carried it with one hand easily. My eyes narrowed. She's not just a simple woman.

“You flatter me with your trust, Miss Rella. I shall not disappoint you.”

I led her to my wagon and presented the three large crates that contained fifty pieces of clothing each. Kane didn't specify the type of clothes he wanted, so I just made a large variety consisting of women's dresses and nightgowns, as well as men's formal coats and breeches. When I showed Rella the clothes, her eyes lit up with wonder.

“That is an impressive collection, Mr. Marion.”

“You flatter me, Miss Rella,” I said humbly, but I was smiling from ear to ear. Of course it's impressive.

“Have you ever considered working for one of the large clothing companies in Halros?” Rella asked. “I'm sure your talent will be well-appreciated there.”

“It probably will be, but I like my freedom very much,” I replied as I started transporting the crates to Rella's wagon. “Working for a company, no matter how big or successful it is, would limit me.” Unless it's a company I own, of course.

“That's a shame,” Rella said, although she didn't seem so disappointed. I'm sure she already expected my refusal. “I hope we can continue to have a lucrative relationship from here on out, Mr. Marion. I'm looking forward to doing more business with you,” Rella said with a wink. “By the way, for the next batch of clothing, I'd like the order to consist mostly of men's clothing, Mr. Marion, and make it as practical as possible. I'd prefer if it was darker in color, too.”

“I shall take your request into mind, Miss Rella,” I said with a bow. Before Rella departed for Halros, I asked her whether she could deliver some equipment needed for textile production the next time she visited Wildpost. Thankfully, she had some idea about the equipment needed for mass-producing fabrics and offered to bring some the next time she visited.

I gave her five hundred gold that I told her to use freely to buy the equipment. I knew it was bad practice to do what I just did since nothing could stop Rella from just pocketing a portion of my gold without my knowing, but I didn't have a choice nor did I care too much about it. I couldn't leave the Wild Woods until I fully established my company headquarters, but it's not like it was that hard to earn the money. Even if Rella stole all of it, five hundred gold was only roughly worth fifty clothes made of monster materials. A pittance compared to the number of clothing I could make in a single day if I put my back into it.

As I watched Rella's wagon trundle off to the village gates, Tedd whispered to me. Do you have a crush on her, Master?

“Shut up.”

2