Chapter 5 Going Out
87 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Sorry to bother you, my friends and I noticed that you were here by yourself. And we were wondering if you would like to join us?" noticing the confused face that Kamara was giving her she quickly back-peddled "It's ok if you don't want to, we just thought maybe you would like to join!" she gave a bright smile to Kamara as he waited for his response.

Kamara looked at the woman and then looked over her shoulder at her friends. He noticed that two of them were smiling back at him in anticipation while one was talking on the phone. In truth he wanted to decline, he wasn't used to eating with people let alone strangers. And he felt that they were being a bit too welcoming, it felt too nice to be true.

If this was his last life he would have definitely politely declined the offer, it just was too risky to eat with random strangers, no matter how innocent it might seem.

But, this wasn't his last life, he wasn't the same person, and life here was different. So, after briefly thinking it over Kamara replied. "I would love to join you! My name is Kamara, but you can call me Kam. You? " he held out his hand as he replied.

"Oh, sorry. I'm Amelia, but most people call me Amy!" she then reached out her hand and shook his.

"Nice to meet you, Amy."

"Likewise Kam. Now for you to meet the rest of the group." she pulled Kam by the hands as she began to introduce the rest.

"This is Day, watch out for her she'll get you drunk and then get you to spill all your secrets." She jokingly said as she pointed towards a well-endowed, fairly tall Latino woman with brown eyes and curly brunette hair.

"That's not fair, now he's gonna have his guard up against me." Day said with a fake pout.

"Good" Amy matter of factly said

Day rolled her eyes and held out her hand " My actual name is Dayanara but most people just call me Day. And don't believe her bull, she's just mad she can't handle her drinks." She smiled at Kamara as she teased Amy.

"Kam. It's nice to meet you Day. And you don't have to worry about me I can handle my drinks well." Kam commented as they shook hands

"We'll see about that." She replied as she gave him a playful look.

"Don't get that Alcoholic started, she'll drink the whole city dry. Ok next is Berry, the resident sweetheart." Amy said pointing toward the last woman in the group. A middle eastern woman wearing a blue Abaya that fully covered her body leaving only her head uncovered. She has wide oval black eyes, thin lips formed into a small smile, and straight black hair that flowed over her left shoulder.

"That's a bit much Amy. But, like Amy said you may call me Berry. It is a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Kamara." Berry said with a light blush on her face from the compliment.

"The pleasure is all mine, Miss Berry," He said with a friendly smile. Kam didn't know if he should shake her hand or not, as he knew some cultures didn't allow contact between men and women. Given that Berry didn't extend her hands he figured it was best to not worry about it, lest he makes it awkward.

"And now onto our resident heart breaker-"

"Don't listen to her nonsense, I'm Deacon" The man held out his hand as he cut Amy off.

"It got better if you would've let me finish," Amy said with a small pout.

"Oh really, well then let's hear what you've got to say Amelia" Deacon sarcastically commented

Amy cleared her throat " Like I was saying before I was rudely interrupted. This our resident heartbreaker, womani-" again she was interrupted by Deacon, who promptly covered her mouth.

"Yeah, like I said. Don't listen to her nonsense" He once again held out his hand while his other covered her mouth.

"I've heard about Mr.Deacon. Or should I call him Mr.Hearbreaker" Kam joked as he shook hands with Deacon.

Deacon looked horrified at Kam's response while everyone else looked shocked at first but quickly started laughing. Surprisingly, it was Berry who was laughing the loudest of the three women. Though Kam was sure that if Amy didn't have her mouth covered she would win that contest easily, given how hard her shoulders were shaking while being held.

At the same time, everyone was laughing Kam got a good look at Deacon. He is a handsome dark-skinned man, with brown eyes, and short dyed blond hair. If Kam had to guess he would say the man was around the area of 5'4-5'6, but unlike Kam, he was well built. Even through his green sweatsuit, Kam could see the definition of his muscles. He didn't have much jewelry on, just two diamond-studded earrings, a nose piercing on his right nostril, and two gold rings on his right hand. Kam understood why Deacon could've gained the title of a heartbreaker, the dude was incredibly handsome and dressed well.

"See this is why I keep telling you to stop introducing me like that. Everyone we meet instantly thinks I'm a womanizer. You do realize how many women have rejected me because you keep telling everyone that? This city isn't as big as it seems, you know." Deacon said with a distraught look as he reprimanded the now free (but still laughing) Amy.

"It isn't my fault your reputation proceeds you, and besides he was only joking. Isn't that right Kam?" she looked towards him for reassurance.

Kam laughed a bit "Yea, It was all jokes. I only just got to the Aline, no way I could've heard about him."

Kam randomly decided to lie about being new to the city. There was no reason for it other than to give himself a fresh start. He couldn't necessarily tell people that he had been living the life of a hermit for the last eighteen years now, could he?

It was better to tell people that he was from out of town than to tell them the truth if they ever asked about his background. Plus it wasn't exactly a lie, he was just as new to the city as someone who just moved and he technically did just move. Just his move was a bit more, spiritual.

The group's eyes brightened as they heard what Kam said.

"Oh, you just moved here? How long have you been here? A couple of days a week? Have you been to any of the attractions? Ooo, did you go to Furrow Park? The art there is so beautiful that-" Amy started to berate him with questions but she was reigned in by Deacon stopped her once again.

"Relax Amy… but yea Kam how long have you been here?" he looked just as interested as Amy.

A bit surprised by their reactions Kam took a second to gather himself.

"Well I moved into my temp apartment yesterday, so today is my second day. I planned on exploring the city for the next couple of days while I'm in the downtown area still."

"Oh, so your super new." Day commented from the side

Kam nodded, "Yea, pretty much."

"Oh man, that's cool. I remember my first time coming to the Aline, it was an experience for sure." Deacon said as he had a look of reminiscence on his face.

"Yea it can be kind of challenging to move to a new city," Berry whispered.

"Well good thing you have us here. We'll be sure to make sure you get to know the city really well. As long as you are willing of course." declared Amy

The rest of the group looked at her with weird looks but eventually acquiesced, and declared their support.

"Well I have a few things to do before I want to explore, but how about- " he stopped mid-sentence as he noticed the hostess waiting for them to finish their conversation "Actually it looks like they're ready for us now. Why don't we finish talking while we eat."

"Yea let's do that, I'm hungry and I could use a drink" Berry commented

 

Kam checked his watch to make sure he had heard her right "But, it's six in the morning."

"Don't question it. Honestly, I'm surprised she waited this long." Deacon advised he patted Kam on the shoulders.

Kam just shrugged and wondered just what group of people he had just got himself involved with.

The group was seated at a table near a window to the street. It was a circular table, allowing for each of them to be involved in the group discussion.

During their breakfast, Kam was surprised by just how easygoing the group was. In just the few minutes he had known them they had been so welcoming that he felt as if they had been his lifelong friends. And as the lunch continued this feeling started to grow and he became so comfortable that he started teasing and joking with the others as they were doing to themselves.

Kamara also learned that the group had met each other pretty recently, within the last seven months. Apparently, they were all new to the city and joined an online group for new citizens. They met up together and started to explore and haven't split up since then. It just so happened that  Early Morning Eats was the first place they met up. So once a week they try to come here and eat together, just for the sentimental value. It had gotten to the point where many servers knew who they were and were very friendly with them.

By the time their breakfast ended an hour and a half had passed and the group had made plans to meet up at around six o'clock to show Kamara around some of the interesting places in the city. Deacon also learned of Kam's need for a haircut and clothes and recommended him a few places once he got the gist of Kam's clothing style and budget. Overall Kam was happy that he decided to go out this morning and was looking forward to later that day. But first, he had to get a cut, some clothes, and, if his items had arrived, he would set up his computer area.

Introduction to four major characters of the story. I hope I did a good job of showing off their personalities. Displaying characters' personalities is pretty hard. And as I go along I start to doubt myself and feel like all my characters have about as much personality as wet paper. Especially, Kamara, it's hard to make your mc have flaws but it's something that must be done. It just hurts.

Also, I hoped this felt natural and not too forced. The gist of what I was going for was the idea that you never know what you might find if you just leave your house one day.

5