The Library of Wisdom – 2
36 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After his conversation fell apart like a stack of cards, he put his key into his pocket and walked out of the library. He walked away from 'Sadistic Collector' under the eyes of the librarian's helpers and sat on a bench in the Town Square. He put his head in his hands and thought back to the earlier conversation with the librarian.

'I never thought that they were this expressive and... human-like.'

The fact that the NPCs retained their memories from past Moltimania's tests and are capable of behaving like real humans would've been big news for the researchers of the Moltimania. Sharing his interaction with the librarian would've gotten him some fame and, more importantly, money. However, he didn't have the mind to be fascinated or excited over this piece of news.

'What do I do now?'

Due to the mandated education, numerous generations of students entering the Moltimania treated the librarian and his friends terribly over decades. Since the Library Aspect is largely considered to be useless, he must've been spared from most of the abuse. However, this doesn't change the fact that the Military Academy gave him an egregious experience. And then a student comes by his library, demands for a better library from the start, and asks him if something was wrong.

'...Yeah, I can understand why he yelled out his frustrations at me.'

In his mind, he can sympathize with the librarian. Fortuna was not kind to him; the nobles and their lackeys treated commoners like himself as pariahs, the teachers were only there to shove knowledge and techniques down their throats without elucidating anything, and his fellow classmates were only interested in venting their stress incurred from their situation onto each other.

'If it weren't for my preparations, I would've been marked as an easy target by the bullies.'

However this is where the similarities between himself and the librarian ended. While he had to fend for himself every step of the way, the librarian had friends he could confide in. Even if he had to watch the trash do their best to make his friends' lives miserable, at least they had each other to consult and help out. He had a place where he could rest his weary heart and mind. Alternis didn't have that. Thus, his heart had to harden itself and suppress his own emotions.

He wondered, "If I keep going like this, will I lose my emotions?"

...Well, even if he had, he'll still be able to experience schadenfreude when he witnesses the misery of his enemies. Speaking of which...

He lifted his head and saw a very welcoming sight. A certain fat boy named Timmy was arguing with one of the blacksmiths over something. He focused his hearing on the conversation and heard, "What do you mean I have to create 10 common-grade nails!?"

"As I said before, if ya want da Blacksmith Aspect, ya need ta start creating 10 common-grade nails and move onto da next task."

"I don't care about your stupid nails! Give me an easier task! HURRY! UP! Or I will make you experience the worst torture you've ever seen!"

He tried to push down and beat the blacksmith, but the blacksmith's vocation required significant strength, vitality, and dexterity. What would the result be when a Tier 0, pubescent teenage boy attempts to push down a blacksmithing expert? The answer came when the blacksmith raised his hand, slapped down the boy, and called for the guards. The comical squeal the boy let out the moment he was hit nearly made Alternis laugh out loud. However, Timmy bounced off the ground from the impact, squealing like a pig the entire time. Witnessing this comical sight, the blacksmith snorted in derision.

"I didn't know your people liked ta raise pigs as their children."

At last, Alternis couldn't prevent himself from laughing loudly anymore. This whole scenario made him feel joy and allowed him to de-stress from his situation. His laughter attracted the attention of nearby students and locals, including the piggy brat.

"Wh-what's so funny!?"

"You're pathetic squealing, piglet."

"Sh-shut up!"

"Even if I do, will it really make the others regard you seriously?" He uttered this statement while pointing at their nearby colleagues. That's when the piglet realized that Altneris wasn't the only one laughing.

"Look, look! This kid has snot and tears all over his face!"

"You can't forget the squealing! I never knew we had a pig as our classmate!"

"Hey, why don't we use him for football? He's quite bouncy!"

"""Hahahahahahahahaha!"""

Timmy's little face blushed a bright red, just like his beloved sunflower, and yelled, "I-I'M GONNA KILL YOU ALL-!"

A team of three guards in odd-looking armor came in. Their armor were a mix of clothing and metal, something completely different from the full metal armor used by Fortuna City's guards. One of the guards ran over to the blacksmith and the others ran over to the squealing snot-boy. The guard questioned the blacksmith, "Is that red piglet on the ground the one causing trouble?"

"Yes, sir. This pathetic, writhing worm threatened to torture and kill not only me, but everyone else in the surroundings."

"Alright! Time to take the piggy to the slaughterhouse, boys!"

The two guards surrounding the piglet restrained him by using odd metal-type restraints on his wrists. Then the both of them started to drag the piglet somewhere by his legs.

"Let go of me you idiots! Don't you all know me!? I'm Mr. Pedago's honorable follower! Release me or face my honorable sir's wrath!"

The guards ignored him and dragged him away from the Town Square.

This whole affair bought nothing but joy and laughter to Alternis. However, soon he thought back to the issue he had at hand. How can he prove to the librarian that he was different from the other trash? He looked down at the ground and tried to think up some feasible ideas. While he was absorbed in his thoughts, he heard footsteps coming towards him from the front. He looked up and saw the blacksmith sitting down on the bench next to himself.

"What's got you looking so concerned?"

Normally, he would just ignore him and dive back into his thoughts. However, he knew that social interactions was not his forte. The likelihood of him thinking up a good plan was low. He needed some outside opinions.

"I don't know how to connect with the librarian."

The blacksmith was surprised to hear this.

'Why would this lad attempt this?'

To clear up his confusion, he asked, "...Why try? Aren't you kids in a hurry to get all of the unique skills?"

"It's because I want to give the Moltimania a real shot."

"What do ya mean?"

"...When I was first transported into this test, I heard some interesting things. 'Connect with the locals of your chosen professions. Complete their Unique Quests with their help. Moltimania will help you as much as you invest.' It helped to solidify my determination to go against my academy's teachings and try something different. If getting help from you guys is what will help me get far in my life, then I'd like to give it a try."

By the time Alternis was done explaining, the blacksmith was shocked. There was actually still people who didn't want to abuse the locals! After calming himself down, he wanted to continue talking with this young man.

"...I see. So that's why you didn't join in with the others."

"...Wait, you were watching me?"

Alternis was evidently unsettled and was slowly inching himself away from the blacksmith.

"NOT LIKE THAT!!! ...I meant that it was easy to notice people who didn't mistreat ourselves. Far more people would rather persecute ourselves instead of just finish all of their tasks legitimately."

The atmosphere became depressed and somber as they both reminisce their past. To get rid of this atmosphere, Alternis decides to ask for help, "Can you help me reconcile with the librarian?"

The blacksmith contemplated on his request. After what felt like forever, the blacksmith finally replied, "It won't be easy, but I can give ya a chance. You'll have ta show him that you're willing to do what it takes ta get the job done."

"I'll do whatever it takes to get his help. If I have to beg him in the most unsightly manner possible, I'll do it!"

"...You probably shouldn't, young man. Now, I'll go talk to him first. Come inside the library a little later, alright?"

"...Thank you very much. It's a lot more help than I hoped for."

"...Well, it'd be a shame if someone who genuinely wanted to do us folk right had no choice but to be scummy to us, right?"

With that last statement, the blacksmith walked through the doors of the 'Sadistic Collector'.

1