Chapter 6 – Lessons start!
279 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After an early breakfast, Duke Albert and Doran were sitting in the study, drinking tea made by the servants. Lord Albert looked amused by his son's test results yesterday. He sipped his tea from his white ceramic cup.

 

As for why they're sitting here. It was kind of a tradition that Duke Albert and Doran did even before he learned about the complex identity. He had arranged a talk time, like a lesson, in order to learn about his son's ideas and views and to teach him about the world. And these conversations took place after every breakfast.

 

He took a big sip of his tea, and chose today's topic of conversation.

 

“Well, should the Duchy declare its independence? Or should it remain attached to the kingdom?”

 

Doran realized that his father was weighing himself. This question should have been thought through and answered.

 

“I think it's best if we take our fate into our own hands. But it's kind of hard for me to talk about it." said.

 

Lord Albert asked curiously.

 

"Why"

 

“How are we in terms of army versus kingdom? Can we resist a sudden attack? Or how much these mages and Cultivators can change the course of war. There is so much I don't know.”

 

Lord Albert thought that his son was right and should give some information about it, and he began to speak.

 

“Although militarily we are not equal to the kingdom, we can easily defend the pass. The probability of a sudden attack is very low. The spies I've deployed regularly report on the army's movements. As for Mages and Cultivators… A high-level mage or cultivator can completely turn the tide of war. “

 

“Does the Kingdom of Leon have a 7-tier ?” ' asked Doran. He didn't know much about layers, but he knew one thing. A layer of difference between you and your enemy meant direct death.

 

“Yes, 2 people”

"Then we'll have to wait until you or Maverick are tier 7 before planning anything"

 

“I am already layer 7.” said Lord Albert casually.

 

Doran was stunned by his father's random statement.

 

"But yesterday... Maverick didn't know."

 

Lord Albert straightened up in his seat and began to speak in a serious tone.

 

“Doran, don't forget this. Power comes from hidden. Never let your enemies and sometimes even your friends know everything about your powers.”

 

Doran began to think seriously about what his father had said.

 

Lord Albert continued to speak to ease the solemn atmosphere a little.

 

“Also, I don't think Maverick is far from being tier 7. So what would you do in these conditions?”

 

After Doran got the second shock, he gathered himself and started to think about his answer.

 

“Even if we can respond militarily, the war will inflict great loss on Vartica. Better to declare independence when the Kingdom is in chaos or unable to attack us. So wait for the opportunity.”

 

Lord Albert liked the answer. A smile appeared on his face.

 

“That's enough for today, don't be late for your first lesson with Maverick. You can leave.”

 

After Doran said goodbye to his father, he left the room.

 

Lord Albert got up from his seat and came to the window of the room. He liked to look out the window and think. He was deep in thought. Finally, his mouth opened and he muttered a few sentences.

 

“Or you create an opportunity”

 

-------------

 

After Doran left his Father's study, he began to walk the corridors of the castle. The building where Maverick was staying was one of the most remote corners of the castle. And it took about 5 minutes of walking to get there. He rushed out of the main building. He walked down the keystone paved road to the building that Maverick used as both his home and workspace.

 

Usually, no one came to this building in the castle. Most people were afraid of Maverick and would stay away from him.

 

When Doran came to the door of the building, he pushed it open. It was not a sight like the one he had seen yesterday. But that didn't mean that the mess of books, devices, and scrolls had disappeared completely. Only the room had become walkable.

 

Doran walked through the Room. The room did not contain any walls other than the building's bearing elements. This added to the chaos of the room. The rays of light filtering through the windows created a magical atmosphere. He passed books and strange-looking devices. And it arrived where they found the maverick yesterday. Maverick stood in the same place again, as if examining something on the table in front of him. Doran looked at Maverick.

 

Maverick was a man in his 40s But look like early 30s. His black hair came down to his shoulders. He was wearing a long dark blue robe with gold embroideries on the sides. It was obvious that he hadn't washed for several days. His hair was tangled and signs of insomnia could be seen in his eyes.

 

“Aren't you going to come closer? young master,” he said without looking up from the table.

 

"How did you know I was here?"

 

Maverick looked up from the table and looked at Doran.

 

“It is the most basic rule of being a Mage. Always pay attention to the environment. Otherwise, a dagger from the dark could be the end of even the mightiest mage.”

 

"What are you doing Mr.Maverick?" said Doran. On the table stood a crystalline red stone.

 

Maverick motioned for Doran to approach.

 

“This stone is a special stone used in the construction of the “Red Castle”. Mana attacks do almost no damage. I was looking for the reason.”

 

“Did you find anything?”

 

“Its structure acts as an anti-mana, kind of like black iron, but also completely different.”

 

“Black iron? What is that?"

 

"A type of metal that restricts mages from using mana"

Maverick hesitated, thinking he had strayed topic.

 

“These are not important for now. Let's move on to our first lesson first."

 

Maverick started walking, motioning for him to follow. they passed through the piles of books and other stuff in the room and came to the very back.

 

Here stood a Table and a blackboard. After signaling for Doran to sit down, Maverick spoke slowly.

 

“Young master Doran, let's start our first lesson then.”

11