Chapter XXXVI—Companions
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter XXXVI—Companions

“Now that Ogai has saved me,” Shinjiro insisted, “I am effectively his hostage.”

“What was I supposed to do—let you die?” Rōkura shot back.

They were in Lord Asher’s sitting room and the curtains were opened, letting in a lot of midday light. It was bright and beautiful out. The sky was blue and the clouds were fluffy-white, bellying the nature of the atmosphere within the chamber.

“Hai!” he said, turning. His hand rested on his sword hilt and his eyes were dark and bruised.

“You look like the hells, man,” said Sir Withersbee. “Perhaps you ought to—“

“I will not,” Shinjiro said.

Hans sat in a char opposite Lord Asher who was across from him in his own seat. Sir Withersbee stood next to the door with stuff shoulders and an attentive air.

Rōkura stood the middle of the room shaking her head. She wanted to snarl, to lash out at Shinjiro. Why was he so angry right now?

“You owe him.”

“Hai,” she said with a nod.

He sighed deeply. “My life for that of another’s.”

“To be fair,” Hans said, pushing up his glasses, “this is Ogai-sama playing nice.”

“He is right,” said Asher. “I know from personal experience.”

“Were you once one of his children?” Rōkura asked of Asher.

“No… but I was involved with, some of his dealings.” He glanced up toward Hans, but then flicked his gaze away quickly.

“It was a personal favor to myself,” offered Hans. “Lord Asher and I go back a long ways, as I have previous told you.”

Rōkura nodded. Glancing over at Shinjiro, she took his hand and he looked at her with surprise in his eyes. “You need to lay down. You look awful.”

Bringing his gaze back up to look through the windows, he said, “I am fine.”

He was a strong man, in body and in mind, but damn was he also stubborn. “At least sit down, you fool.”

Shinjiro cut a glance toward her, and for a second a dangerous air came over his features. Then they softened. “Many samurai would demand a duel for less.”

“And you would lose.”

He sniffed then with both amusement and clear disdain. “Indeed.” He sighed heavily. “Very well.”

She took him to the large chair near the windows and he sat down. Rōkura found her way to the sofa across from Lord Asher on the other side.

“Well,” sighed Hans as he he had just finished a long day of work. “Now that we have that settled. There’s something we all need to understand. “Rōkura was dead.”

Shinjiro moved to speak, but Hans lifted a finger. “Ah-ah! I am still speaking, my friend.”

Shinjiro sighed. “Then please continue.”

Rōkura smiled as she heard him mutter the word “windbag.”

Hans glanced toward Shinjiro. “You were dead. You—and you. Dead. Ogai-sama brought you both back to life, sent you to new worlds to begin anew. This is the second time I am having to remind you of this. We are his children—whether you like it or not.”

“This is the first time I have heard this,” Shinjiro said.

Hans raised an eyebrow. “Rōkura and I may have been along the first time, but that is not the point. Ogai-sama will not be trifled with. You don’t like it, you can… what? Get yourself killed in some duel for honor? Ha! He may just raise you back to torment you and anyone else you care about—so that’s off the table!”

There was a heavy silence that pervaded the room.

“If you thought you could skirt through life being a ‘good person’”—he snorted—“that’s all over now. Perhaps after you have served Ogai-sama long enough at to his satisfaction that he no longer asks you to do things for him… If you wish to make amends for your past deeds, then that is up to you. But right now we do as our patron deity commands.”

“Well,” said Lord Asher. “Lucky me, then, because I—“

“That includes you, Lord Asher.”

“Wait—what?!”

Sir Withersbee cleared his throat as if something had gotten lodged inside it.

“That is right,” Hans said.

“Now wait just a moment—“ began Asher as he stood up.

“No!” Hans said.

“Hans!”

“Silence! Ogai-sama has commanded it!”

Asher paused, then lowered himself back down where he sat heavily. He curled his fists. “Tch!”

“I am sorry,” Hans said. “But in lieu of Rōkura’s Persistent Bad Luck and your… excellent luck to say the least, he has decided that you will now be joined with our party, with or without your say. I tried to get him to see reason.” Hans made a futile gesture. “But you know Ogai-sama…”

What have we done? Rōkura looked on at Lord Asher and his faithful servant Sir Withersbee with sympathy and not a little regret. She wanted to speak, to apologize, but now was not the time. Lord Asher had his fists clenched and his eyes trained down at the rugs.

Hans let the heavy silence sink in.

Perhaps he could not escape who he was—which was to say that he was in fact, a lying piece of horse dung. I’m sorry, old friend. But we need you.

No one else in the room even suspected Hans of lying.

At least… not yet.

Lord Asher sighed heavily, nodding. “Now that is some really rotten luck.” He smiled, glanced up at Rōkura. “I wonder how our luck will play together?”

She looked at him, unable to say anything.

It wasn’t so bad. Lord Asher was no shining example of a spotless soul, and that’s how he had viewed himself long before he fell into thinks with Hans Bellefeuille. There’s just nothing else for it. We might as well attack this thing with gusto!

He stood up and put a smile on his face.

“What is this cheeriness, man?” asked Hans.

Asher straightened his jacket. “My old life has called back to me.” He sucked in a sharp breath through his nose. “And I will respond, with all the perspicacity of my past experiences.” He glanced down at Hans and strode up to him.

Hans hesitated, but when Asher thrust out his hand, he was baffled. He stood up.

“Partners, old partner?”

Rōkura gasped, her surprise forcing her eyes wide as she glanced to Shinjiro who raised an eyebrow.

Hans stood, then accepted his friend’s hand. “Aye, old friend.”

“Hmph!” sniffed Asher with bemusement. “This is actually kind of exciting.”

Rōkura stood up. “What?!”

“Ah, I have to say, the old times have called to me. I’m missed them, and dreaded them these past ten years, but now that they are upon me”—he spread his arms and in the sun light streaming into the middle of the room, he whirled on deft feet—“there is no longer anything holding me back.” He made a fist.

Then his eyes wandered over to Sir Withersbee.

The servant swallowed with apprehension, but there was determination in his eyes. If his lord Asher was called back to that, life, well then…

“Sir Withersbee,” said Asher. “I am sorry—but you are dismissed.”

“What?!” he barked through his mustache. “My lord?”

“I do not want to drag you into all this once again, my loyal friend.”

“Now wait just a minute, my lord—“

“No, no. It is done. I am sorry, Sir Withersbee, but I will not have you.” He turned away from the old butler.

“How dare you!” Sir Withersbee barked.

Asher frowned. “How dare me? How dare you, sir! I am Lord Asher Boone and I will not—“

“If you think you can get rid of me that easily, my lord, then you are mistaken!” He strode around the couch. “I have followed you since you were a small child. I served your father. I have done things I am both proud of, and horrified by for both you and your father, and if you believe you can simply dismiss me now after all that SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU BELIEVE YOU ARE SAVING ME FROM SOME—“

“Now, now,” laughed Asher, “settle down, Sir Withersbee. I was only kidding around.”

Sir Withersbee growled, but he seemed to simmer down by degrees while eryone else watched with wide eyes. Rōkura’s heart was hammering in her chest. For a moment, she thought Sit Withersbee might attack Asher.

“I was just testing you, my friend.” He turned to Sir Withersbee and took him by the shoulders. “You have been, and are… much much more than a loyal servant. You have been my loyal companion.”

They regarded each other, and Sir Withersbee sniffed. Asher laughed softly, and embraced him. Sir Withersbee patted him on the back. “Don’t you ever try that again, my lord.”

“Never again, my friend. Now join us.”

He pulled away and thrust out his hand.

Sir Withersbee glanced at all of them, then he looked down at Asher’s hand. He seemed a bit discomposed for a moment, but he took it and shook.

In truth, he had never shaken his lord’s hand before, his or his fathers. Now he was more than a servant, a loyal trusted man. He truly was a friend to Lord Boone—the luckiest dog who ever lived.

Hans chuckled. “I am… I have to say I am quite shocked.”

Asher smiled upon them all. “You have no idea what you have just brought to your party, my friends.”

“I have an idea,” said Hans.

“Indeed,” said Asher. “Now, Sir Withersbee!”

“My lord?”

“Invite everyone I know for a ball this weekend.”

“Everyone?”

“All my friends and acquaintances, new and old. Now is a time for planning and a celebration. Well, hop to it, man.”

Withersbee smiled under his mustache. “Yes, my lord.” He bowed and stepped out of the chamber immediately.

“Wait!” said Rōkura. “What about Chinatsu and Kezia?”

Rōkura stood and then so did Shinjiro.

“Ah,” said Hans. “The Soulless Night. I am sorry, Rōkura. I know Sir Alaric was on your list, but he just so happened to be on Ogai-sama’s as well. For now, he wants us to target other figures first before we get to…”

“To mine.”

He nodded stoically. “Yes.”

She made a fist. “Tch!”

Shinjiro put a hand on her shoulder. “Patience,” he said. “Revenge is like a sword. It waits, kept safe in a box, it never dulls over time. They can wait.”

“I can’t.”

“I am afraid you will have to, my dear.” said Asher. “All right!” he added excitedly to the room. “Let’s plan a party and an assassination!”

That hung in the air for a moment.

Thanks for reading!

0