1. My Prologue: Holmer Aldnoa’s Soliloquy I
1.7k 4 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Helena, Lixue and Holmer

 

Present Day

In the bustling area of Freedom City, a group of law enforcement officers are in pursuit of a robber. Their whistles lack sufficient strength to compel him to halt. He hurries toward the adjacent lane, sprinting at his maximum speed into the cramped space. Afterwards, he employs his parkour abilities to outwit the individuals chasing him. 

He jumps side by side on the walls to evade them. It is truly remarkable how fast and nimble he is. 

He runs, rolling up and down the huge black trash bin in an effort to evade the police. 

"Stop where you are! Don't move! I told you not to move. Pay attention to me, you damn lawbreaker!" exclaims the enraged police officer, pointing his stun gun. Nevertheless, the robber has already disappeared from their view. "Argh, damn it! Locate him!"

Without their awareness, the robber is concealed behind the wall. While they alter their direction, he throws his own bag on the other side. Then, he quietly climbs up on the fence and jumps over it.

'Fools. See ya around, losers,' he picks it up and carries it on his back.  

His pursuers take left turn, thus granting the fugitive an opportunity to flee.

The robber declares with a maniacal laugh, "Hahaha. So effortless. I don't care about any of you. This 20 million USD now belongs to me. All mine!"

'Oh, I'm so lucky tonight. This money is enough to follow my dreams. I'm rich now. Fucking rich! If I invest it properly, I'll become the next millionaire of the United Realm of Pacific. I am the protagonist of this series. They call me a criminal, making me infamous in the neighborhood. Honestly, it is a best career -that everyone like me- loves the most in this corrupt city. You can call me however you want. But I swear, forget everything the authorities named me. I have a family name. A birth name. Let me introduce myself, folks. Remember it into your heart. My name is - Goaagh,' the robber's face is stunned to see a bright light hits him directly. He rolls over the roof up and down of the vehicle before his body drops down on the ground. 

His shattered body bleeds out -coloring the floor around him with red. 

For closing remarks, his amazing story comes to an unfortunate end. He dies in an car accident. Truly a poor ending.

'Oh no, so anyways,' should I say? Naah, let's forget about this man. 

"Holy crap, what on earth happened?" I carefully exit my car with a worried face. I check the front first as I tried to unravel the cause: what kind of big object did I hit earlier. The hood of the car is total wretched, and I am frightened to find some trace of blood with a  size of a human shape on it. As I check around, I feel petrified to find a corpse on the floor behind the trunk. Both of my hands presses together on my head in shock. I crouch on the rough surface and apologize, "Forgive me. Forgive me. Forgive me, man! Holy shit, what on earth did you do Holmer? This is nuts. Really nuts. Ah shit, I didn't mean to, man. It is an accident. An accident. What on earth you're thinking when you suddenly jump in front of my car, huh? Are you out of your fuckin' mind? If you want to die, just die alone. Don't involve me, pal."

I bite my lower lips in frustration.

"Not this again. Not again. I swear this is gettin' out of hand. I did it again!" I am horrified really. But I find something odd when I examine his physical appearance. My mood improves a little when I recognize his face. "Wait a sec, isn't he on the headlines earlier? He is one of the top 10 notorious robber in this district. According his profile, he is ranked as top 5 or 6, I suppose. But is he really that guy in that picture? Look at him now, he is unrecognizable in one glance. Oh crap, I don't know if I am real lucky or unlucky at this moment. But it'll never changed anything that... I screw up once again," I scratch my head in resentful look.

Criminals are human beings who is convicted of a crime. They are infamous in every unorthodox activities worldwide. 

There are a various type of criminals: the ordinary red party and the hitmen group.

The 'ordinary red party' are composed of the bandits, robbers, rapists and other jobs that commit a constant unreasonable strives around the city. On the hand, the 'hitmen group' are made up of assassins blessed with extraordinary powers that ordinary people doesn't possess. They are bunch of infamous killers that values honor, quality, and valor. Most of them are forming a secret organization known as a 'clan' in order to lure out the authorities and keep hidden from the surface. 

Although they are bad people, they are still human being that's possessed a special rights once they are caught directly by the authorities. The special right is none other than the 'human rights'. The 'Commission of Human Rights' or also 'CHR' in short is an international institution that overseers the lives of humanity indiscriminately. They are considered as the 'protector of humanity' against the tyranny of evil within.

Continuing on, let me introduce myself first. 

My name is Holmer Aldnoa. My family calls me 'Hol' in short.

My first name comes from two different Tagalog root words: the word 'Hol' which means 'empty', 'zero' and 'gone', whilst the word 'Mer' means 'head' and 'top'. 

The origin of my birth name is hilarious.

Thirty-five years ago, my father was summoned in the office to register me after my birth in the hospital. When all of the sudden, a random citizen shouts a 'Hol!' and his acquaintance replied 'Mer!' These random words popped out inside his head first. Instead of using the word that my parents agreed upon, he merged it into one single word, 'Holmer' and he absentmindedly scribbled it down in my birth certificate.

Bruh! It was already too late when he realized his mistake. But he apologized afterward.

Now then, let's forget about the origin of my name. Let's proceed to the next one: my profile.

First off, who the fuck am I? Good question. I'm just an ordinary public servant of this city. A regular guy who got coercibly enlisted as a hunter! It was the fault of that student of mine - the pink-haired woman who dragged an innocent civilian like me into this job.

I tried my best to fail the job, but no matter how much effort that I did to get kick out, I was always rewarded sincerely by the country. I even got promoted as a new Captain by that director this morning. 

'Good grief' I sigh. 

But let's move on to the next question.

So what's my story? Nothing special. My background story is impressionably plain, dull, and generic ever since. It doesn't sound interesting to share. Unlike now, it is still the same even though I become a world government special agent known as a 'hunter'.

The 'hunters' are a secret, risky, and deadly profession that no ordinary people are allowed to join without passing the right requirements for the job. Only the prodigies born with talents are permitted individuals to become certified agents. The United Nation will send them in difficult missions or quests. The rewards are promising prestige, piety, and treasures. The notable hunters shall also receive a special remark in their category as one of the 'shadow heroes' of the world. Earning them a new second name based on their achievements. 

Honestly, this kind of job is out of this world. You'll have to explore the world - facing a lot of dangerous, life threatening and difficult quests.

I even received my second name, but it doesn't matter. My second nickname is not interesting to hear, lol.

But I'll be honest with you all. I'm just a regular human being. I don't possess any talent or whatever they accused me beforehand. I don't really know where the source of their basis to verify and support their claims. 

So basically, what did I do before I become a hunter?

After I graduated with a degree of BSBA Major in Financial and Management Accounting, I signed a contract with an manufacturing company as an 'accountant'. However, Great recession hits the international trading market that led for me -a regular employee below the bottom of the food chain- to lost my job. 

I remain unemployed for more than five years. The large crowd of young competitions made it difficult for me to get hired.

That was from the past. Now it is different. I am now a proud member of society -working as an OFW in this country, folks!

Once I return to my country, I'll definitely converted all of my US dollars to our currency. Our currency is weak, so I'll become a billionaire instantly. 

Man, I want to retire. I saved a lot of money in my bank account, albeit not enough to build a manufacturing company. I firmly believe in a motto that no employees become rich. Rich people becomes rich because they invest and build business. And I want to become the next billionaire at a young age! I want to build my own business Empire like the characters in the movie too!

In spite of that, something is pulling me back in this job. I tried several times to resign for my incompetence, but the director is always found a loophole to salvage my reputation. I'd appreciate her efforts, but I don't remember asking for it.

Whenever I paid a visit at her office, she will always sit on my lap. She would wrap her arms around my neck like a cat: that some of the staffs are teasing us that we're in relationship. If only they know her real intention, it was just a test. A test of loyalty and dignity, she said. It was part of their culture to sit down on the lap of their poor and incompetent hunter. The only way to reduce my negative fortune is to let her do what she pleased on me. 

At first I refused to follow her tradition, but she was persistent and stubborn to push herself on me. I am glad that she told me that she had a boyfriend. It is giving me off a sense of relief. 

I am not dense or stupid to believe it, but I swear to God, that culture is one of the strangest thing I've ever heard. If it happened in our country, I'll sue her of 'sexual harassment'. Hopefully, her lover will correct her when they got married. 

But she is considered as a hero, so I shouldn't judge her method. I know she dislikes me. I can feel the pressure of her anger whenever she embraces me. In my conclusion, she deserves her position because she is very considerate and approachable superior. A woman who would saved her subordinate from danger by embracing the burden. 

She is so beautiful, adorable and cute. Her scarlet long hair that is travels down on her shoulder and rests on her waist looks so enticing.  

Hopefully, her gentle personality is real because I am worried that she detests this tradition of burying her face on between my chest and smelling my scents in tenderly care. 

Honestly, she never ceases to amaze me in uncomfortable way. 

That director is a respectful, wonderful, and great leader -a role model with a big heart. Dreaming that young, rich and beautiful boss to fall in love with me is a fantasy the least that would happen, lol. That's only happening in the novel and movies.

Man, how many people have I killed from the past five years? Ever since I joined this organization, I killed a lot. A lot! I already lost count how many of these pitiful people die. For some reason, no matter how much I confessed the truth that I was untalented agent. No one really bought it. 

Sometimes they took it as a joke. What is wrong with them?

Apart from that question, the UN and CHR marked me as a 'troublemaker', a shadow hero who is competent and terrifying hunter of the world. An anti-hero agent who'll make no haste to disobey the law of man -regardless of the consequences- to achieve total victory.

For God's sake, I am a law-abiding man who obediently follows the rule of every countries. I'm not a heartless murderer that the other party keep throwing at me. All of it are lies. Lies, so I can live here forever.

You know what, people? They even included some bullshits as of follows: a powerful country bumpkin with a charming voice, a cunning actor who always smile at the demise of his enemies and even his allies, and last but not the least, a scumbag instructor who possessed a charming feature that attracts a lot of young women including his apprentices. 

For an introvert like me, I hadn't laid a girl. You know why? Because I was born in this world without a girlfriend ever since.

Man, I want to die. But I don't want to die. Sigh... I'm contradicting myself again.

I want to go back in time and fix this. Oh, God. Why am I here? Just to suffer? Let this grieving man retire!

I miss my parents and my hometown -the sweet aroma of the Philippine culture!

Honeslty speaking, I am always ready to mingle and form a relationship with opposite sex. I want to marry a pure Filipina instead of beautiful ladies who are living here. Yeah, these women are smart, adorable and cool, but they are scary as shit!

....

Five Years Ago

Back then, the social activities was the event that I wanted to do the least. Not because I dislike it, but I only possessed a poor social skills, attractive looks, and indecisiveness. I can interact with them but in limited time. 

I feel awkward whenever I talk with other people. But not every time I faint like a wimp, I can spent an hour talking the topics that I take interest -making the others lost interest.

In our generation, women are more fond to form a deep relationship with an assertive man who can provide their needs. Adding to my woes, I don't have a high salary to support and provide a family. I couldn't even save some spares to repay my parents for their selfless sacrifice.

It's every child's dream to make their parent's happy too. Or am I alone? 

After I reached my 29th birthday, they sometimes teased me to find a date. But honestly, I had no time for it because of my current position in this position. 

'If I entered in a deep relationship, will my partner accept who I am? Will she stayed with me once she learns her loving partner is just a nobody? What should I do if I accidentally impregnant her? I don't have the funds to pay the bills of the hospital. What if I lost my job and failed to provide their needs? I don't want to start anew and destroy it in the end,' these words kept reminding me that the world was not a wonderful place to live in. I should always take responsibility when I am making a decision rationally. 'I want to do it with my money. Because I am a man. The man provides everything for his family.'

I know it is funny for the others, but in our country, it is difficult to find a decent job with high salary. 

When I lost my job, I quickly search for another one. I had a bills to pay, so I shall.

Thankfully, I found a vacant job thru social media. The job interview is set at the local branch company in Makati City, Manila. It is a US Tech company that could be found in the center peak of its main district.

I passed their basic test, the strict interviews, and their evaluation. The result was very positive before I went home.

Later on, I received a white envelope that contained a golden ticket (VIP), a recommendation letter with a seal, and my personal passport.

Tears of joy overwhelmed me. That feeling of achieving your goals was undeniably satisfying. 

'Finally, I can work abroad! I am an OFW now! Booyah!' 

I jumped so high shamelessly. That I didn't notice that I peed my pants out of joy. Thankfully, I was inside the bathroom when that happened. It would bring another shame if someone discovered it. But who cares!

I couldn't believe I will have a chance to fly for United States of America.

It is always the Filipino's dream to work over there. Not because we love the country, but because it has a high Gross Nominal Income (GNI) per capita, lol. Who would even be happy about that large money? Only an idiot won't grab that opportunity!

Of course, 'money' is the main reason for this journey! Money and its diversified food culture! Once I have the money, I can do everything that I wished for: providing the basic needs, necessities, and other things for my parents and saving enough funds for my future marriage!

Pathetic, isn't it? You can drop my story if you feel disappointed. I don't really care.

I'm a regular human being too. I have needs and ambition in life like the others.

Building a business empire is one of them. My kingdom is my present -a gift from their ancestor. Because it is always stuck inside my head that being an employee is an insubstantial career: a legacy your family won't ever received. Unlike the business, it will continue and pass to your descendants: a legacy they'll inherit for eternity.

Returning back to where we left untouched in the United States' topic, this country was the place that listed in my bucket list. I couldn't hide my excitement when I shared the good news to my family. I was so conceited in front of them. I even claimed my victory against my two elder siblings, who only traveled the famous local cities like Baguio City and Vigan domestically. 

Foremost, my mother was overwhelmed in worry upon hearing the news. She's really against the idea of letting me to work abroad. But eventually, her worries faded away when my father explained our situation as his show of support.

'Life here in this country was difficult. Let our son venture in the world. He will learn to become independent,' he assured.

"Hol, I don't know what life awaits you there, but as your father, you should remember a few things to keep in mind. The world is a dangerous place. Not everyone can be trusted. Not everyone is friendly like us. I don't know what kind of culture they have. But study it. Keep your eyes peeled in your surroundings. Don't let your guard down. Remember it. Stick it inside your head. We will give our full support. Whatever shit you wanted to do. You have our blessings. Take care of yourself. When everything goes south, remember we are here for you. But before you move out, here's the number of your mother's bank account. Don't forget to send us some funds, okay? Of course, it should be in US dollars, son! I will believe in your strength once you become a full-pledged or regular employee of that company. Break a leg, Hol," my father embraced me and handed over my luggage. 

His first speech was heartwarming, but the last part gave me a little pressure.

"Take care of yourself, son," my mother sniffed her nose as she sent me off. 

"Pa, I don't know if I should be sad or play dumb upon hearing it. But don't worry. Your son will bring you 1% of my money. T, t, thank you very much, Papa!" 

"Stupid, send us 30% of your salary! Due to inflation, the US dollar is higher than the Philippine peso today!" 

"O-o-of course, I will. When I set foot in that place, I'll send the cut from my pay check into your account, dad, mom!" 

'Pa, Ma, I am not your retiring fund. But I don't mind at all. You are my heroes. Your sacrifice is not in vain. As your youngest son, I will work hard to achieve my goals. I swear to God. I will make you two proud. I will become the greatest Customer Service Employee! America is a safe place and this plane is the start of my first journey toward my future!' I declared.

"Hijack!"

"Freeze, nobody move!"

——C'mon, give me a break, will ya? Did you just hear what I just declared inside my head, fuckers? Oh, my goodness. Fuck my life!

22