Chapter 5
32 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 5

Year 163 – Summer – Quartus Mensis –39th day

Avem, Town of House Valmai, land of the Vale

In the largest valley of the Oluja river was located the fifth largest town of the Union. Born of two bridges as a trading post, Avem became known for its access to the hard oaks of the Velika Forest north of the valley. Ruled by House Valmai, the Vale had, by decree of Bona-Fide, jurisdiction over the Tree-Fall Village, Rust-Fell Mine, Oluja Borough, and the Fresh-Bay Village.

In the middle of the Vale, the Oluja River was split in half, surrounding a large isle on which the town of Avem sat. Aside from the main castle, large wooden walls hugged the isle. Hundreds of houses occupied the town, and a hundred more homesteads were located around the river shore. North of the river, in a land-locked parcel vast of about a mile, was the dock, the militia’s training ground, two workshops, and a lumber mill. In front of both bridges, a large fort made of wood had been built, and two large palisades had been assembled in an arc surrounding both the land-locked parcels to the north and the south of Avem. A few tens of acres of farmlands were covering the northern shore, and hundreds more were covering the southern fertile lands of the Vale.

Vatra exited the forest and joined the road. She was hungry and tired. Her last provision had been consumed in the morning. Following the cleared path, she saw the town from afar as the falling sun brightened the sky. Ahead of her, peasants were clearing the northern farmland by the hundreds. Many more were disassembling the homesteads outside the northern wall.

This view . . . Finally . . .

An hour passed before she arrived near the northern gate. Two guards sat on their chairs and played with dice on an old wooden table at the entrance. They didn’t seem to care about the girl until she reached them.

Guard 1 –“Woah there, stranger. Stop moving.”

The two guards blocked the entrance.

Guard 2 –“Hey! She looks just like Fan!”

Guard 1 –“Where’s your master, slave?”

Vatra –“I’m no slave! I’m just as free as you!”

Guard 2 –“Woah, she can talk like us.”

Guard 1 –“Well, her master must have taught her well.”

Vatra –“I’m no slave! I’m a blacksmith. I am the apprentice of Harald of Tree-Fall Village.”

Guard 1 –“Who’s that?”

Guard 2 –“I think I know him.”

Guard 1 –“You know him? You don’t know the blacksmiths of Avem, but you know him?”

Guard 2 –“Well . . . no . . . but I’ve heard of him. He made like 40 wheels last year.”

Vatra –“I made half of those wheels.”

The two guards frowned at her, and one of them laughed.

Vatra –“See? You remember? I was with him when we brought the wheels here.”

Guard 2 –“She really thinks we are stupid.”

Vatra –“It’s not a lie! It’s the truth!”

Guard 1 –“If you’re his apprentice, why isn’t he there?”

Vatra –“He died . . . They all died. The Kalator killed everyone. I’m the only survivor. I came here to seek help, not to be accused of some misdeed I haven’t committed.”

Guard 2 –“Hold on, hold on! You said the Kalator?”

Guard 1 –“It’s barely been three days since the refugees from Rust-Fell Mine arrived.”

Guard 2 –“It would mean they attacked both Tree-Fall and Rust-Fell at the same time.”

Guard 1 –“That’s bad news. We must tell Lord Valmai. Girl, what’s your name?

Vatra –“I’m Vatra, and I’m not a slave!”

Guard 1 –“For now, I’ll believe you. Follow me. We’ll give you something to eat.”

Guard 2 –“Don’t try to run away from our game of Prika.”

Guard 1 –“As if I’d let you win that easily. I’ll inform Marco, and I’ll be back right away.”

Vatra followed him in silence. Many residents were working and seemed worn out. A quarter-hour later, they walked through the bridge and arrived at the little fort connected to the northern drawbridge. The guard relayed the information to his superior before returning to his post. The lieutenant surveyed Vatra from her feet to her face and extended his hand.

Lieutenant –“Welcome to Avem. I’m Marco. So, you’re not a slave, I take it?”

Vatra –“No.”

Lieutenant Marco–“It’s fine; I believe you. Henryk told me you’re called Vatra. Is that correct?”

Vatra –“Yeah.”

Lieutenant Marco –“Alright, follow me, I’ll lead you to the inn where you’ll be able to eat.”

Inside the fort, a dark alley led to the drawbridge. The wood was old, yet still in good shape. Once they entered the town, Vatra’s sight changed. The town was filthy and crowded. From across the land between the Frey and the Vale, survivors had come to seek refuge. The town felt more like a pit of despair than the ray of hope she was seeking. Guards patrolled the road as if they were already under siege. Some were from House Valmai and others from House Krain of the Frey.

On the main street, a big stew was being rationed to the citizens. Waiting in line were kids, the wounded, and elders. The refugees were everywhere, yet a dark silence shrouded the air. The lieutenant led Vatra to the inn, where he yelled to the innkeeper from across the window.

Lieutenant Marco –“WE GOT ONE MORE REFUGEE!”

Marco –“Alright, you can go inside. Adam, the innkeeper, will give you a proper meal. After that one, you’ll have to do the line like the others. We are all rationed to pass through the winter. I’m sorry for our poor hospitality. Rest well, little girl.”

The guard left for the castle in the middle of town. Vatra was still looking at the mess lying around before entering the inn.

How many of them are they? Did the Kalator raid them all?

Adam–“Don’t be afraid; you’re safe here! You can come!”

Vatra returned to reality and approached Adam.

Vatra –“Sorry, I was stunned by the crowd . . .”

Adam–“Oh, a slave.”

Vatra –“No. I’m not!”

Adam–“Oh, really? I’m sorry, then; it’s just cause I’ve got one who looks like you.”

Vatra –“Or so I’ve heard. I suppose she’s called Fan?”

Adam–“Oh, so you know her?”

Vatra –“Not really.”

Adam–“She’s working right now, but I’m sure she’d love meeting someone like her. I mean, you’re not a slave, but you know, you’re from the East.”

Vatra –“Is that so . . .”

Adam–“Anyway, you’re in luck cause no other refugees came today. You’ll have the whole inn for yourself. Well, aside from the drunk man over here, but don’t worry. He’s not a bad guy.”

The man –“I’m not drunk yet!”

Vatra turned her head and saw the old man. He looked like a giant. Even while sitting on a bench, he was taller than her. He had a disturbing hole instead of his left eye, which was embellished by a scar running from the bottom of his jaw all the way to the top of his head, passing through his missing eye. The man only had a couple of teeth remaining, and two of his left fingers were missing. Despite enduring many violent battles, he was smiling.

Is he senile or something?

Vatra sat at a table far from the man and waited before the innkeeper placed what looked like stew in front of her.

Potato, potato, and potato . . .

The tall man –“Ahh, c’mon Adam! I can smell it from here. That’s the exact meal you’re giving to the refugees. Isn’t she supposed to have a better one since it’s her first meal in town?”

Adam–“There are more potatoes than in the regular batch. Besides, I can’t waste meat on common folk anymore. We need it for the fighters like you, Morgan. Order from the lord!”

Vatra –“Again, those who can’t fight have the few remains of their needs taken away . . .”

Adam –“Those potatoes are a gift you didn’t have to fight for.”

Vatra –“And what about the taxes we paid to House Valmai? What happened to the protection we were entitled to?”

Adam –“I’m sorry for the people of Tree-Fall Village, the Frey, and the Rust-Fell Mine. But I follow orders, and if we want to still have these lands once this rebellion is over, we’ll need soldiers. Men are willing to risk their lives for us so that those like you and me won’t have to fight.”

Vatra –“So if I fight, I’ll get to eat meat?”

The innkeeper giggled until he realised she was serious.

Adam –“I’m talking about the soldiers of the House Valmai and the House Krain. Anyway, unless I’m misunderstanding, you’re here in our town eating our food and being held under our protection, so I wouldn’t complain too much if I were in your place.”

Vatra –“Complain? I’m asking to join the rank of those who will fight for this town.”

Adam –“Why would you risk your life when you don’t have to?”

Vatra –“Because if I don’t fend for what I care for, then it will be taken away again and again and again by the hands of thieves claiming the name of their gods or their ancestors or whatever nonsensical lies to justify taking away the few things I hold dear.”

Adam –“I understand your sorrow.”

Vatra –“You think? They stepped on the face of the man who freed me from slavery and raised me. He could have used me like cattle, yet he chose to raise me like his daughter. I couldn’t even give him a burial for the gods to allow him into the afterworld. He will lie in the obscurity like a dead rat, rotting away until a swarm of insects feasts on his corpse. If you think I lack the determination to avenge him and the many kind souls of Tree-Fall, you’re dead wrong. You might be a coward, but I ain’t one. Now, tell me, how do I become a Valmai’s soldier or one from that other house you mentioned?”

The tall man –“You need to enter the militia first, and after six months of training, if you’re good enough, you can enter the Valmai’s army under the Eagle of Vale. Want to do it?”

Vatra –“Six months? The Kalator razed and burned Tree-Fall! They killed my family, and they’ll be there within three to five days, if not less.”

The tall man –“Even if it’s true, we don’t want soldiers who aren’t trained to fight. It would be a hindrance.”

Vatra –“I can fight! I’ve trained for a decade, and I want to kill these bastards more than any of you! I want to fight back. I won’t let the Kalator tarnish their names and get away with it. I’ve run away too many times already. This time, I’ll fight back!”

The tall man –“I can bring you to the Eagle. If you show him what you’ve got, he might accept you. It would be less boring than listening to Adam’s nonsense!”

Adam –“Do as you please, Morgan.”

Morgan –“So, what do you say?”

Vatra –“I would be honoured. When are we leaving?”

Morgan –“Once you finish your plate, I’ll bring you there.”

Vatra quickly finished her meal. When Morgan stood up, he appeared even more gigantic than what he had previously looked like.

What is that monster? He’s like seven feet tall.

Morgan walked to the doorway and lowered his head to pass under the frame before heading to the castle. Vatra followed in silence.

Morgan –“There’s a war council at the moment, but don’t worry. If you let me talk, they’ll listen.”

Vatra –“Are you a general?”

Morgan –“Let’s say I’ve earned a certain reputation that won’t leave them indifferent.”

Both entered through the castle gate and arrived at the town hall where a war council was currently being held.

Lord Valmai –“I know I’m asking a lot, but–”

Lord Krain –“A LOT? YOU’RE NOT ASKING A LOT! YOU’RE DEMANDING EVERYTHING!”

In a long creak, the door opened, dragging the attention of the council. The giant frame of Morgan was standing in the way with Vatra at his side.

Aside from Lord Krain of the Frey and Lord Valmai of the Vale, among the crowd were two war generals, a priest, and a scribe of House Valmai. Next to Lord Valmai stood the Eagle of Vale.

Lord Valmai –“What is the matter, Morgan?”

Morgan –“That girl wants to join the army.”

Lord Valmai –“Right, and why are you disrupting our council for that?”

House Krain’s general –“Lord Valmai, your soldiers are way too undisciplined . . .”

The Eagle –“General Thorkel, with all the respect you deserve, those soldiers are the main line of defence standing up to the Kalator’s rebellion, so show them a little more respect. As for Morgan, his behaviours aren’t constraint by the same authority. I’m sure you’ve heard of the Bear of Vale.”

General Thorkel –“I have.”

Lord Krain –“More like the drunken hole of Avem. We don’t see him patrol the Vale much, do we?”

The Eagle –“Lord Krain, should I remind you that you are a guest in our town?”

Scribe of House Valmai –“Should I note?”

Lord Valmai –“Don’t for now. Well, Morgan . . . This really isn’t the time to bring this up.”

Lord Krain –“You know what? I think it’s the best moment for it since you’re about to use my people as a meat shield!”

Lord Valmai –“I never said that!”

Lord Krain –“Oh, please. You and I both know what the militia is for in the time of war. I wasn’t born of the last rain. I’ve got 200 footmen ready to fight, yet you want to conscript my subjects. Would you do the same with your own? You could start with her!”

Lord Valmai stayed in a gloomy silence. Vatra walked in front of the giant.

Vatra –“My village, the Tree-Fall Village, has been raided by the Kalator. For all I know, I’m the only survivor. We paid taxes every year, but no soldiers of Avem came to defend us. I’ve trained my whole life to fight, and I’m a blacksmith. I don’t want to waste my potential in the militia. I’ve already killed four of them back in Tree-Fall. I want to be a soldier, so I can kill as many of these bastards as I can!”

The Eagle –“I’ll stop you right there! We already have blacksmiths. Adding another might be more useful, I’ll give you that, but I don’t want someone who’s not disciplined in my army. Morgan’s the only exception. If you want to join the militia, you can, and we won’t use you as a meat shield, like some lord seems to believe.”

High priest of Avem –“I couldn’t agree more on that! Now please, if you would let us continue our conversation, it would be much appreciated. We need to settle a few things.”

Vatra –“What did Morgan do to earn that right?”

Lord Valmai –“Morgan earned himself the title of the Bear of Vale because of his prowess in battle. But I think you knew all that just by looking at him, didn’t you?”

Lord Krain –“So, if she can beat him, she can join?”

Lord Valmai –“I don’t intend to have Morgan brutalise a girl for your enjoyment, Bilfrith Krain!”

Vatra –“I’ll do it!”

Lord Krain –“See? She wants to! Isn’t that great? We’ll get to see a vision of what will happen to my people once you conscript them!”

Lord Valmai –“Ethen, can you fight her instead? I don’t think Morgan can hold back against her.”

Morgan –“I don’t think so either, but I like her spirit!”

The Eagle –“Fine, I’ll do it.”

Ethen went into another room and returned with a rack of wooden training swords. He tossed them on the ground and looked at the girl.

Vatra –“I’m Vatra.”

Ethen –“I don’t care; let’s do it quickly. We have way more important things to do.”

Morgan –“Ah, c’mon! Don’t be such a cunt! No matter how long you talk it out, in the end, you can’t make any decisions until our scout sees from where they are coming from.”

General Thorkel –“I’ve seen them and I’ve fought them, and taking it lightly will result in many deaths. We have limited time and resources. Waiting for them to come before making a decision is like waiting for the wolves to chase your sheep before helping them.”

Ethen –“I don’t want to take too much time either, so we’ll add a rule. You see that hourglass on the wall? Morgan will turn it upside down, and if you manage to hit me once before it runs out of sand, I’ll let you join. If you don’t, you’ll join the militia! Pick your weapon!”

I’ll make you eat your words!

Vatra took a sword in each hand while her opponent only grabbed one. Morgan turned the hourglass upside down. As the first grain of sand fell, Vatra ran toward Ethen and thrust her blade. Ethen deflected the hit and struck her exposed shoulder, pushing her to the ground.

Ethen –“Is that how you killed four Kalator? Or were you lying?”

Vatra got up and leapt forward, aiming both her swords at his legs and shoulder. Holding his sword with both hands, Ethen swung it in a half-circle, cleaving both her blades away. Exposed and dragged in a motion, Vatra tried to use her newly gained velocity. She rotated on herself to strike again, but in doing so, she exposed her back and Ethen kicked her on the waist. Impaired in her motion, Vatra stumbled to the ground.

How can he read my movements so quickly! Shit! I’ll have to make him lower his guard . . .

Vatra rose back up with an idea in mind. She stepped forward and feinted a thrust with her left sword, adding no weight to her strike. As Ethen deflected it, she crouched and stepped in, keeping the edge of her blade against his. She slashed her second sword toward Ethen’s leg. As he took a step back to dodge, Vatra advanced again, but as her blade slashed the air, Ethen grabbed her wrist. Without giving her the time to strike, he pulled Vatra toward him and struck her guts with his knee before throwing her to the ground. Gasping in and out of focus, Vatra slowly rose again.

Damn it, he’s really strong . . .

Ethen –“Good! Good! Not enough, but good!”

Vatra breathed heavily. She rushed toward him and leapt in the last few feet to strike him with her whole body weight, but Ethen sidestepped her blow and struck her legs as she was landing, making her stumble to the ground. He took a few steps back while looking at the hourglass.

Ethen –“You’re running out of time . . .”

Vatra raised her head and saw he was right. She didn’t have the time to reach him anymore. She got back up and took her right sword like a spear, holding the handle between her right fingers and the guard over her palm. Taking a deep breath as her blood boiled, she shifted her left foot forward and threw her sword like a javelin. Taken by surprise, Ethen tried to push the incoming projectile on his side, but the edge of the sword scratched his left shoulder before the hourglass ran out of sand.

Morgan –“Ahahah, your face is priceless, Ethen!”

General Thorkel –“That wasn’t a hit; the practice sword only grazed his left shoulder. In a real fight, the armours alone would have been enough to stop that.”

The Eagle of Vale seemed upset and confused as he looked back to his lord, hoping to find an issue with the worsening situation. Lord Valmai took the attention of the fighters by applauding them.

Lord Valmai –“We rarely see such a good fight, especially at this time of the year. I will admit that I am always in need of good fighters, but I do not intend to let someone who’s not used to fighting in formation join the rank of my army. That being said, a hit is still a hit. I’ll place you under Ethen’s watch until the Kalator arrives. Once they do, he will decide if you join our rank or stay in the militia.”

A small grin crept onto Vatra’s face as she caught her breath.

Ethen – “In that case, I want to see you tomorrow at sunrise on the training ground. If you’re not there when I arrive, I’ll consider you retracted from your request.”

Vatra –“Understood . . . Umm . . . If I may ask, will I get to eat meat during the training?”

Ethen –“I’ll think about it. Now, could both of you leave us? We’ve lost enough time already.”

Both Vatra and Morgan exited the town hall, closing the door behind them.

Lord Valmai –“Do you believe her? The only survivor of Tree-Fall? Tree-Fall is surrounded by woods. The only clear path is the road leading here. She could be a spy for all I know, and she looks like she’s from the East. A slave would never be allowed to learn sword fighting.”

Ethen –“Marco said she mentioned the wheels we commissioned from Tree-Fall last year. She didn’t lie about that part. Besides, Rust-Fell retreated because House Krain alerted them. Tree-Fall might be surrounded by woods, but that also makes it easier to surround without being seen. Maybe we should have expected them to take it. Maybe we should send an emissary to Oluja Borough before they attack it as well.”

Lord Krain –“Have you seen many blacksmiths confident with a blade? Her story doesn’t make sense. Five days without food ration is a lot.”

Lord Valmai –“She could have found some apples on the way, but it is indeed suspicious. As for Oluja Borough, they have access to plenty of fish. We don’t. If they come here, we’ll starve even faster. They are about a twelve days’ walk from here. It is unlikely they will become a target. We can always reach them by ship if the Kalator moves east.”

High priest of Avem –“I don’t want to insult any of you, but from what I’ve understood, we need more soldiers, and that’s precisely the reason why Lord Krain was upset earlier.”

Lord Krain –“Lord Strahlend could bring his own. He has 800 men stationed in Rock Eden.”

High priest of Avem –“That’s not my point. We already sent a bird to Lord Strahlend. I’m talking about this girl. She looks like a slave, but she speaks our tongue as if it were her own. She might be a spy, but she could be a good person in the wrong place at the wrong time. Since Ethen will train her, he might as well try to tail her and see what she seeks. Didn’t Ethen used to be a spy himself?”

Ethen –“I wasn’t a spy; I tailed thieves to arrest them, not for information.”

High priest of Avem –“Close enough. As for Oluja Borough, they could join the militia, too. The Kalator has the largest army in the Union. We’re not talking hundreds here, but thousands.”

Lord Valmai –“I need Ethen to be present on our next council as well. I can’t have him tail her.”

Lord Krain –“There’s no point in the next council until we receive the answers from Rock Eden.”

Lord Valmai –“We need a stronger militia.”

Lord Krain –“I won’t conscript my people. You already made it so that only the fighters get to eat properly. I won’t force a mother and father to lose their child on the battlefield. They already went through too much for this. Humans aren’t sheep, Rulfus Valmai. I’ll make my people do any work that will help, but they won’t be fighting on the front line.”

Lord Valmai –“Then let’s hope the gods will support us! I just can’t see us winning without being ready to lose it all. They are over 3,000, and if we count our people who don’t take arms, we have barely 2,500.”

Lord Krain –“You have close to 300 soldiers stationed in the city. And you also have a militia of close to 200 more. I have around 200 remaining soldiers, and my militia has close to 50 men. If the reinforcement of Rock Eden comes in time, we will be close to a thousand soldiers inside a fortified city. They can’t take it so easily. Wasn’t it you who told me in the past that a single man in a fort could hold against five? The real threat isn’t their army, but their witch, and we’ll need arrows to take her out, not a line of meat shields.”

Scribe of House Valmai –“We still have yet to receive their answers. Rock Eden isn’t known for its generosity. Nothing tells us their reinforcements will be numerous.”

Lord Valmai –“In that case, I want every man and woman who aren’t fighting to dig a ditch around the northern wall. Build a shorter wall around the northern fort with a second ditch to protect it. Every layer of defence we can build will give us more time to hold until winter.”

Lord Krain –“Once all the homestead north of your wall is demolished, my people will begin working on it. As of now, I’ll be taking my leave.”

On their way back to the inn, Vatra and the giant were talking.

Vatra –“Why did you break the rules for me?”

Morgan –“Boredom! There isn’t much to do in this town aside from eating and drinking.”

Vatra –“I thought the town was full of merchants and travellers.”

Morgan –“It is during the early summer, but once they sell their goods, they leave for their homeland. The rest of the year, the town is like a pig den, wading in its own dirt.”

Vatra –“You wouldn’t be bored if you’d entertain yourself.”

Morgan –“With what?”

Vatra –“I used to train every day, and when my swords were too damaged, I’d forge them anew.”

As the words came out of her mouth, the images of her happy days with Harald came back. She froze and forgot to breathe for a few seconds.

Morgan –“Are you alright?”

Suddenly, she inhaled and rubbed her eyes.

Vatra –“I’m sorry, I’ll . . . I need to be alone for now. I’ll see you later.”

Morgan –“Alright! See you.”

Vatra branched off from their path and kept walking. Sorrow and despair locked into her mind. In the safety of this town, a dark shadow had made a home within her heart. Afraid of her own thoughts, she ran across the town until the high pulse of her heart obscured her thoughts. She ended up in the residence area. Many roofs and shacks had been installed between the houses, turning the street into a cramped and narrow labyrinth of shelters.

Vatra –“This world is trash.”

Man –“Couldn’t agree more!”

The girl turned around to witness the man in question. He had lost a leg and was sitting on a crate.

The crippled man –“I got trampled by a horse. I used to be a soldier long ago, but now I’m just a burden. How did you get yours?”

Vatra –“Mine?”

The crippled man –“The scar on your arm!”

Vatra –“I took a gamble and lost, but now it helps me remember the lack of forgiveness in our world. It forces me to remember to fight for my hopes because no one else will.”

The crippled man –“Fighting is meaningless. No matter what we do, our destiny is written at our birth. The son of a sire or a lord will have a great life. The son of a lumberjack will most likely end up in the army and die on the battlefield before reaching 20. If you intend to fight, you’ll be part of these sons of a lumberjack.”

Vatra –“I was the daughter of a soldier, and a blacksmith raised me.”

The crippled man –“Same crap! Fighting will only bring you sadness and regret. You’ll end up haunted by those you killed and forgetting those you lost.”

Vatra –“I’d say it’s the other way around, and even if the odds are low, if you stop trying, what do you have left?”

The crippled man –“Your life. The joy of seeing the sun rise to see another day. There will always be people worse off than you and better off than you. Appreciate what you have while you still can.”

Vatra –“And what about those at the rock bottom of our world? Those who lost everything? What’s beneath them?”

The crippled man –“The dead! Six feet underground. You should be happy that you’re breathing and you look healthy. It’s not a given for everyone.”

As if I needed more depressing thoughts …

The girl walked away from the man and headed toward the temple of the town in the hope of finding some peace and quiet.

The crippled man –“Don’t forget, young one, nothing’s worth dying for!”

Made of stone and cement, the temple stood as tall as three houses. The door was large and full of fresco. A few gods surrounded a man. Showing him their back, the gods were surrounded by the shape of other entities. Once she arrived, Vatra pushed the door open and entered. The altars of each god were decorated with lit candles as the rest of the large area remained in the dark.

Eight gods? I only recognise three of them . . .

Vatra moved toward the altar of Ignis, God of fire. A pot of dry leaves sat on its side. She took a handful and placed it on the altar. Using the candle, she turned the debris ablaze. Its warmth made the girl loosen her stress as she gazed toward it. The fire shape-shifted as the leaves turned into ashes. Tears began to growth from within her and sprung to her eyes. She took some more leaves and lit them on fire to dry her sadness away in the heat of the dancing flame. Her eyes were losing focus. Her mind grew tired. In a slow motion, she fell asleep on the altar, alone with her silent tears.

 

0