Chapter 10
20 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 10

Year 163 – Summer – Quartus Mensis – 40th day

Avem, Town of House Valmai, land of the Vale

 

The priest had been gone for a while. In front of the crackling fire, Vatra was wrapping her arms around both of her legs while clutching her amber necklace with her right hand.

Vatra – “Sometimes I envy you. That wild spirit of yours that no shadow can break.”

The sizzle grew louder as the flames consumed the branches.

Vatra – “Don’t be scared. I’ll take care of you.”

She poked at the firewood with another dry twig to readjust the flames.

Vatra – “Did you know my name means fire? I’m just like you. Weak and scared. But I don’t have that will of yours. I wish I did, but sometimes I just want to cry . . . I must be strong. I own them that much . . .”

She dropped the twig in the fire and rested her chin on her knees. After a few more hours, the first light of a rising sun burst through the open window. The fire was still alive when Vatra left the temple for the training grounds. It was an open field near the north gate. Two houses surrounded the field, along with an enclosure filled with sheep. When Vatra arrived, the sheep were already active.

Vatra – “Seems so easy to live as a sheep.”

Sheep – “Baaaaaaa.”

Vatra – “Or you could be complaining all the time. It’s also an option, I guess.”

The door of a nearby building opened, and the Eagle of Vale walked out with a bag.

Ethen – “Ah, you’re here! Great! It won’t be long. Just wait a moment, will you?”

Ethen filled three large wooden vats with grain and hay. Some sheep stopped talking, attracted by their meal. The Eagle of Vale went inside the house and returned with two long wooden sticks, two wooden swords, two shields, and a crossbow with some bolt.

The greatest fighter of Vale feeding some sheep . . .

Ethen – “Alright, now I’m with you!”

Vatra – “Are all these sheep yours?”

Ethen – “No, they are the sheep of Avem. I don’t take care of them; I just give them something to eat in the morning since I always wake up early. Anyway, before the training, I’ll have to ask you a couple of questions.”

Vatra – “I’m listening.”

The man took the crossbow and faced a hay target 20 yards away. He placed his foot at the tip of the crossbow, took a lever, and locked it into its end. Using the lever, he pulled back the string and armed the crossbow. He took a bolt and armed the crossbow before aiming at the target.

Vatra – “So, I’m learning to shoot with a crossbow first?”

Ethen – “I don’t like to waste time, so I’ll get straight to the point.”

The man turned around and aimed toward Vatra.

Ethen – “If you move or try to escape, I’ll shoot.”

What? Wait . . . Did he just . . .

Ethen – “We have reasons to believe you are a Kalator spy. So, you’ll have to answer my questions before I decide what we will end up doing with you.”

Vatra was confused and afraid.

Ethen – “Don’t look at me like that. I’m following orders. The faster you help me clear your case, the faster you can join us. How did a free Eastern girl get to the West?”

Realising there was no way out of this, she complied.

Vatra – “I came after the war, 10 years ago.”

Ethen – “Were you a slave?”

Vatra – “Yes.”

Ethen – “How did you become free?

Vatra – “I was bought here, by a blacksmith named Harald who lost his family during the war. He raised me as his child, not as a slave.”

Ethen – “And he taught you how to fight?”

Vatra – “I learned by myself.”

Ethen – “Is there anyone who can confirm what you’re claiming?”

Vatra didn’t respond.

Ethen – “Is there?”

Vatra – “They are all dead.”

Lost in despair, she gazed at him with empty eyes, holding her breath.

So, this is it . . . The fate of my miserable life.

Noticing her despair, he lowered the crossbow and looked her in the eyes.

Ethen – “Listen. I’m hoping you are clear and I’ll try to help you prove it, but I’ll need your cooperation for that.”

Vatra – “Why?”

Ethen – “I told you. I’m following orders. We will be under siege in a matter of days. We can’t afford to take any risks.”

Vatra – “Not that! Why are you hoping to help me? You didn’t even know of my existence a day ago. Me, a former slave! Whom everyone believes to still be a slave! From a country that was at war with yours. I bet you don’t even remember my name.”

Ethen – “That’s not true. I remember it. It’s. . .Varra?”

Vatra – “It’s Vatra. Why don’t you just kill me here? It would be the best for everyone, wouldn’t it? You’d be certain there’d be no spy. And if you were wrong, who gives a shit? It’s not like I have family left. I’m just a stupid girl from the other side of the world.”

The man inhaled slowly and scratched his head.

Ethen – “It’s a feeling. You remind me of someone I used to know. I probably shouldn’t help you, but I’ll try. So, if you end up proving me wrong, I’ll be the first to cut your throat.”

A person he once knew? Might be my sole way out . . .

Ethen – “If you were a slave here, it means there must be archives of it. Follow me and don’t try to run.”

The man raised his crossbow again and aimed toward her.

Vatra – “Is there a problem?”

Ethen – “Well, just in case. Walk in front. I’ll tell you where to walk.”

Vatra – “I don’t know the way.”

Ethen – “I’ll tell you.”

While listening to his direction, Vatra led Ethen toward the east side of town.

Vatra – “Who was she?”

Ethen – “Who?”

Vatra – “The girl I remind you of.”

Ethen – “I never said it was a girl.”

Vatra – “Let’s be fair. I probably don’t remind you of a man.”

Ethen – “Keep walking.”

Vatra – “Was she your lover?”

Ethen – “It’s in that building. Knock on the door.”

Vatra knocked twice.

Vatra – “If we don’t find the archives from 10 years ago, what’s going to happen to me?”

The man applied a stronger grip to his crossbow.

Ethen – “Before we enter, I just realised that you still have your sword. Could you drop it on the ground?”

She unattached her belt and let the scabbard and the sword fall.

Vatra – “Here. Happy?”

Ethen picked it up and waited. The door opened, and a large man in a wool tunic greeted them with dumbfounded eyes. It was the scribe from the council the day before.

Ethen – “Commissary Marcus, I need you to help me with the archives.”

Commissary Marcus – “I think I get what’s going on, but as you can probably tell, I was eating breakfast with my wife and two sons. So, if you don’t mind, I’ll go back to it. You can wait inside; there’s a chair over there.”

The man smiled, showing his teeth under his fat cheeks. Vatra and Ethen entered. Vatra sat in a chair while Ethen stayed on his feet with his crossbow in hand.

The wife – “Oh, it’s Ethen! Do you want some tea?”

Ethen – “With all due respect, I must refuse. As you can see, I’m on duty right now.”

The fat man sat back at the table and ate some bread. The two kids were examining the guard’s crossbow and the girl next to him.

Marcus – “Is she a prisoner?”

Ethen – “That’s still to be determined.”

Marcus – “Why do you need my help? What do you seek in the archives?”

Ethen – “I would like to see the archives of the slave markets from 10 years ago.”

Marcus –“You think she was sold here?”

Ethen – “I don’t know yet, but it could prove that she’s innocent.”

Marcus – “I guess I can search for it, but are you sure it was exactly 10 years ago?”

Vatra – “It was during the summer.”

Marcus finished his plate and walked inside another room that was filled with books. After a moment, he returned, juggling six books in his arms, and placed them on a desk. He dragged a chair toward the table before sitting down and lighting up a candle. The man took a polished stone of quartz and sliced it on each word as he was reading.

Vatra (in a whisper)– “Umm, Ethen?”

Ethen– “Yes?”

Vatra – “What is he doing?”

Ethen – “He’s reading.”

Vatra – “I know, I mean why is he rubbing a stone on the book?”

Marcus – “It’s called a reading stone. Come, I’ll show you.”

Vatra looked at Ethen with merciful eyes. Ethen rolled his eyes and gave her a sign of approval. Vatra then slowly approached the side of the commissary.

Marcus – “If you look from right above the stone, you’ll see the letters in a bigger size. As we age, our vision slowly rusts like the steel of your blade, but these stones are quite useful, I must say.”

Wow, that’s crazy.

Vatra – “Do you really store the inventory of every trader who passes through here?”

Ethen – “You know how to read?”

Vatra – “A little. Harald taught me how to read the query of Avem. I’m not good, but I could read the wheel query of last year as well as the ship pieces required the year before.”

Marcus – “Harald?”

Vatra – “The blacksmith of Tree-Fall.”

Marcus – “If she’s lying, she’s well-informed.”

Ethen – “Well, since you can read, go back to your chair.”

Vatra sat on her chair again and waited.

Marcus – “Alright, there it is, the slaves who were registered as sold. Now, don’t get too much hope. From what I can see, time left its mark on the paper. Most of these names are completely unreadable. What’s your name?”

Vatra – “Vatra.”

Ethen – “No, your name before that one.”

Vatra looked at the two of them, speechless, as she realised she had no name in mind.

Ethen – “Is there a problem?

Vatra – “I don’t remember it . . .”

Ethen – “Is there any way to find it?”

Vatra – “You won’t believe me then . . .”

Marcus – “I can try to find it with the descriptions. Let’s see . . . There were 341slaves registered during the Tertius Mensis and the Quartus Mensis. How old were you?”

Vatra – “Seven!”

Marcus – “Hum . . . So . . . There were 37 children with unknown ages, and 22 of them were girls.”

Marcus examined Vatra and looked back at his book.

Marcus – “Out of the 22 girls, 13 had black hair and 11 of those had brown eyes. The rest of our information is only about the price they were sold for.”

Ethen – “So we have 11 potential names and no way to determine which one could be hers?”

Marcus – “Exactly.”

Vatra – “Wait, no! That’s wrong! I don’t think most of them had a burnt arm.”

Marcus – “While that is true, it’s not written here.”

Vatra – “I know I’m one of them.”

Marcus – “I can tell you the 11 names and try to find which one you are.”

Ethen – “No. She isn’t in the clear yet. I need her to remember her name before that.”

My name before that? How come have I forgotten this? I dream of them every couple of days. I remember it so clearly, and yet, their faces have disappeared. Their names and even my own . . .

Vatra – “Wait, wouldn’t a slave with a burnt arm be sold at a lower price than usual?”

Marcus – “In theory, but since it’s always a matter of negotiation, it can depend. I suppose three of them have particularly lower selling prices than the others.”

Ethen – “It still doesn’t prove that any of them are you.”

Vatra closed her eyes and placed her left hand on her forehead while thinking.

Ethen – “This can’t last forever. Marcus, can you point me to the three names in the book?”

Marcus – “I’ll mark them with my quill. Here, here and there.”

Vatra – “Wait, I have to remember, or it won’t have any value.”

Ethen – “So . . . These names are–”

Vatra – “Give me more time!”

Ethen – “Jué Wàng.”

Vatra – “Wait!”

Ethen looked at her. Her eyes were growing blurry from tears.

Ethen – “Nira Asha.”

He looked at her again and saw a tear trickle down her face.

Ethen – “Yas Yayis.”

I’m worthless . . .

The man looked at her again and saw her crying in silence.

Ethen – “Do any of these names tell you something?”

Vatra – “No.”

Ethen – “Good.”

Vatra raised her head and looked at him with a mix of despair and anger in her eyes.

Ethen – “These were the names of women registered above the age of 20. I was testing your honesty. A spy would have most likely lied.”

The girl’s misty eyes were suddenly filled with hope.

Vatra – “So . . . I might . . . still be on that list?”

Ethen – “It is possible. I’ll tell you the three names Marcus marked. If you remember one of them, I’ll believe you.”

C’mon, Vatra, you can do it! Just remember.

Ethen – “Amal Aasha.”

The girl shook her head from right to left.

Ethen – “Xī Wàng.”

The girl raised her head while thinking and suddenly giggled.

Ethen – “Was that your name?”

Vatra – “Well, it’s not my name, but I probably said that multiple times back then.”

Ethen – “What do you mean?”

Vatra – “Xīwàng means hope.”

Ethen – “And what if it is your name?”

Vatra – “It could be . . . I don’t remember. My past before my new life with Harald is blurry. I don’t remember faces or names. Just events and feelings . . .”

Marcus – “She doesn’t look like a spy to me.”

Ethen – “I hope I won’t regret this . . . Alright, you’re clear for now, Vatra Xīwàng.”

The girl smiled while tears streamed down her cheeks. She breathed irregularly until she calmed herself.

Ethen – “Well, after all that stress, I suppose I’ll bring you to eat something, and we’ll start in the afternoon.”

Marcus – “Are you going to the council today?”

Ethen – “Yeah, I’ll be there, but I’ll leave earlier today.”

Marcus – “See you there then!”

Ethen shook his hand and left the house, followed by Vatra, who gave a shy smile to the family. Ethen returned the sword back to Vatra as they walked toward an enormous building near the inn, which was south of the training ground.

Vatra – “What happened to the girl you knew in the past?”

Ethen – “She died.”

Vatra – “I get the feel.’’

Arriving on the site, they could already hear loud voices. When Ethen and Vatra crossed the entrance, Ethen shouted.

Ethen – “SOLDIERRRRS!”

Close to 300 men instantly stood from their chairs and placed their hands on their hearts while standing still. Two of them were still talking and followed the rest of the group a short moment later.

Ethen – “STEEN! KLAUS! ON THE BATTLEFIELD, YOU’D BE DEAD. BOTH OF YOU. FIFTY CROUCH JUMPS! NOW!”

Steen and Klaus – “FOR THE EAGLE!”

Both followed Ethen’s instructions.

Vatra – “They seem quite docile.”

Ethen – “You’ll end up like them soon enough. At war, discipline prevails above all else.”

Should I really take this path?

Ethen – “REST!”

The soldiers returned to their meals.

Ethen – “Come, I’ll present you to Marco. He’s the second-in-command in the army. If you have any problems, you go talk to him; his job is to solve them.”

Vatra followed until they reached a table near a corner. Four soldiers were sitting around it. As Ethen arrived, the four stood up.

Ethen – “Marco, I have a new soldier, so I’ll leave her in your care for now. I’ll be back for today’s training in half an hour.”

Marco – “YES, MY EAGLE!”

Ethen left the area to attend to another duty.

Marco – “I think we met yesterday. I’m sorry, but I have forgotten your name since. Was it Vara or something?”

Vatra – “Ehh, I’m Vatra. Vatra Xīwàng.”

One of the soldiers glared at her.

The soldier – “You’re from the East, aren’t you?”

Vatra – “I am.”

The soldier – “Why do you want to join the enemy of your people?”

Marco – “Derfel, if she joins, it means she’s got the Eagle’s approval.”

Derfel – “I’ll have my own mind even if that slave doesn’t answer.”

Vatra – “My homeland is Tree-Fall Village. Every bright memory I have comes from there.”

Derfel – “I don’t buy it.”

A blonde girl – “Shut up, Derfel! You don’t befriend people by being bitter towards them.”

Derfel – “Don’t you dare talk about friendship to me!”

The man left the table.

Marco – “Well, that was Derfel; he’s the best scout we have. Try not to mind his character; he’s lost more than most of us.”

Vatra – “It’s fine. I can relate.”

Marco – “The silent guy in the back is Judec, the third in command.”

Judec – “Hi.”

The blonde girl – “And I’m Maelly!”

Marco – “Maelly is one of our field healers; she’s been on many battlefields with us, and she’s good company sometimes.”

Maelly – “What does that mean?”

Marco – “Well, she’s good company.”

Vatra – “Is there a problem?”

Marco – “Family problems, don’t pay too much attention to it. You’ll get to know most of us in time, but try to follow orders for now. In a battle, that’s what might keep you alive.”

Maelly – “Almost sounds like you’ve been in one!”

Marco – “That’s no way to talk to a superior.”

Maelly – “Sorry . . .”

Marco – “So, Vatra, I’ve never seen you fight, so would you mind answering a few questions.”

Vatra – “Can’t be worse than what Ethen asked me.”

Marco – “About that, you’ll have to call him the Eagle from now on. Discipline is everything here.”

Vatra – “Understood.”

Marco – “Have you ever fought multiple opponents?”

Vatra – “Yeah.”

Marco – “What was it like?”

Vatra – “Humans were a mess and the wolves a nightmare.”

Marco – “Well, I guess you already get what it means to have discipline. Relying on your ally is a question of trust, and unless you’re a mind-reader, you’ll have to discipline yourself.”

Vatra – “I will!”

Marco – “Good, then I’ll be straight with you. Every soldier here is your ally. Not your friend, nor your enemy, but your ally. Even if you don’t like them or if they don’t like you, when you are on duty, you aren’t a person anymore. You are a soldier. You are part of one body, and the mind of this structure is built on order and hierarchy. No conflicts are allowed. If you feel like anybody has a problem with you or someone else, you must inform me so that I can deal with it. Understood?”

Vatra – “Understood.”

Marco – “How’s your endurance?”

Vatra – “I think it’s good.”

Marco – “Great, cause you’ll need it! Now, go eat something and either join us now or in the afternoon. It’s your first day, so it’s up to you.”

 

 

 

0