Chapter 29
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 29

Year 163 – Summer – Quartus Mensis – 43rd day

Avem, town of House Valmai, land of the Vale

 

When the Eastern girl woke up in her cell, she noticed a bowl with two potatoes waiting in front of her. How long had she slept? The old candle was still burning, but it seemed way shorter than it used to be. Vatra walked over to the potatoes and picked them up to alleviate her hunger.

Vatra – “Are you still going to ignore me?”

She waited for a moment, yet only the echo of her own voice answered her call. Vatra examined the enclosure of her jail to find the other prisoner, but it was so dark she could barely see within the other cells. The wooden door then creaked open. The slim shade of the daylight entered through it and illuminated part of the jail from the top of the stairs.

Vatra tried to see the person in the other cells, but they were all empty. Taken by confusion, she looked again into the many cells and noticed Ethen coming down the stairs with a large bag. Vatra looked at him and forced herself to smile.

Ethen – “Did you sleep?”

Vatra – “A little, I think.”

Ethen – “I brought you a couple of things until I find a better solution. Here’s a blanket for the night, a bucket for your personal business, a practice sword, another candle to see with, and a little bag with food and water.”

Vatra – “Thank you, Ethen.”

Ethen moved the initial candle closer to her jail and looked around, disappointed.

Ethen – “I’ll come back every morning to bring you food and maybe some other things. Be sure to keep up with training!”

Vatra – “Yes, my Eagle.”

The Valmai general then left Vatra to the same dry silence as earlier. Using the candle to improve her eyesight, Vatra realised she was truly alone.

Was it my imagination? There’s no way . . . I know I heard it.

She laid down the candles inside the bowl and surveyed the bag.

Some dry meat, a large waterskin, and more potatoes.

Vatra – “Could have been worse.”

 

 

0