Chapter 71
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 71

Year 163 – Fall – Sextus Mensis – 22nd day

Year 724 – Yarahma – 24th day

Location, unknown

 

His neck was stiff, and his arm felt numb. When he opened his eyes, a large oil lamp was emitting a warm light. The room had wooden walls, floor and roof, all of the same type of wood.

Where am I? How long have I slept?

Ethen was sleeping on his arm. He moved on his back and felt tingling as he regained sensation over his arm. His wound had disappeared. His leg was fine and felt stronger than before. Seeking answers, Ethen looked around him.

The large oil lamp was attached to both the floor and the ceiling. It was locked in place and had two layers of glass to stop any waves in the oil from spilling outside the lamp. His bed was locked against the wall, just as the desk was on the other side of the room. No windows were letting any light in, but the sound of creaking wood caught his attention.

Am I on a ship?

Ethen got up and walked into the room. Its luxury was ludicrous. Paintings were hanging on the walls and above the desk, and a large silver glass with sides that were trimmed like flowers was hooked to the wall. Ethen walked toward the glass and fell on his back as he witnessed his own reflection.

What is . . . How? This must be a dream.

Ethen pinched himself in vain while looking at himself in the mirror, confused. He slowly passed his fingers on his face and lips. Not only had his wound closed, but he also seemed younger, much younger than before. He seemed nearly a decade younger.

At that moment, the door to the room opened, revealing the man who had bought him to send him to his death. He was escorted by three guards.

Haratim – “You’re awake!”

Ethen – “What did you do to me?”

Haratim – “I saved your life! Well . . . Considering I’m the one who sent you into that pit, I suppose ‘spared’ would be a more adequate wording.”

Ethen – “Why do I look younger?”

Haratim – “Because you are. A gift, for which most would sell their own friends.”

Ethen – “What does that mean?”

Haratim pulled a kitchen knife and threw it on the bed.

Haratim – “Take it and see for yourself.”

Ethen grabbed the knife and looked back at the trader.

Haratim – “You remember my tiger, Archenar, don’t you?”

Ethen was looking at the blade doubtfully.

Haratim – “If I wanted you dead, I would have left you in that pit.”

Ethen inhaled and exhaled before pressing the blade on his hand. He sliced the knife and opened his skin. Blood was flowing from within his hand when a dark smoke emerged from his wound. In a brief instant, his wound closed itself under Ethen’s confused sight.

Ethen – “What have I become?”

Haratim – “You are still you, but you now carry a strength worthy of many souls.”

Ethen – “Why? Why save me? Why not let me die like the rest of them?”

Haratim – “Because brave men are like diamonds buried in the mud. Now, tell me your name, you who doesn’t fear death.”

Ethen – “I’m Ethen. The rest has lost its meaning.”

Haratim – “I’m Haratim El-Salik, and I welcome you aboard my ship. Come with me, we have much to talk about.”

The trader saluted him and left to join the upper deck. A short moment later, Ethen walked up the stairs, escorted by the guards. When he reached the deck, a strong gust of wind nearly pushed him on his back, but one of the guards supported him.

How can a calm day be so windy?

Reaching the upper deck, Ethen froze, mesmerised by the sight. It wasn’t the sea, but the winds and clouds awaiting him.

The creaking of the wood, the wind . . . It all makes sense now, but how?

The ship was hovering above the clouds. The sight was like a painting, the light of the sun was bright. It was submerging the ship in an aura of sunlight. It was as if they were in the realm of the gods. As if they were going to see an angel sitting on their side. Flocks of birds were flying near their ship as if the ship was part of their formation. As if the ship was alive.

Large sails had been deployed on each side of the boat like they were wings. A giant structure with a curved shape seeming to be made of thick leather was hovering above the upper deck. It was holding the ship with large ropes. On its side, three sails were aligned to redirect the wind and push the ship forward.

Ethen – “How?”

Haratim – “You’ve never seen one of our ships, have you?”

Ethen – “Not from this close. I heard they could fly, but I thought it would be some kind of magic. But not a bunch of sails, and what is that thing above us? Is it enchanted?”

Haratim – “Enchanted? Ahahahahah. You see the furnace over there?”

Ethen – “I do.”

Haratim – “Warm air is lighter than cold air. So, we warm the air inside this large balloon to pull our ship off the ground.”

Ethen – “How did you find that?”

Haratim – “I’m not sure they do that in the Union, but since it’s a pretty common thing in the East, you might have seen some.”

Ethen – “If the East had flying ships, I would have known for sure.”

Haratim – “I don’t mean the ship. When someone dies in the East, they get a small bag of thin paper and attach a tiny candle to it. By lighting the candle, the air in the bag warms up, and the bag flies to the sky. When the candle burns out, the paper bag burns as well. We use a similar method, although not exactly the same.”

Ethen – “I see . . .”

Haratim – “So, Ethen, tell me, is there something you wish to have in this world?”

Ethen looked at him, perplexed.

Haratim – “Girls, men, children, food and spirits, or perhaps glory? If you follow me, I’ll provide you with anything you wish for. It is within my power, but for that, I’ll need you to work for me, heart and soul.”

Ethen – “I . . .”

Haratim – “Yes?”

Ethen – “I don’t think you can offer me what I seek.”

Haratim – “I cannot bring the dead back to life. Not yet, but I can surely find you a reason to live until the day such miracles fall within my reach.”

Ethen – “I have one, but I don’t know where she is.”

Haratim – “Oh! I see . . . Then how about this? If you join my crew and serve me well, I’ll find her for you, wherever she might be.”

Ethen – “How could you do that?”

Haratim – “Don’t underestimate me. All I need is a name, and I’ll find her. It might take a year or two, but be sure that I’ll find her. The world isn’t as vast as it seems.”

Ethen – “ . . . She’s called Vatra, Vatra Xīwàng!”

Haratim smiled.

Haratim – “I knew we could find a common ground. We’ll find her. Does she have any descriptive characteristics that could help us?”

Ethen – “She’s from the far East. I think she’s from the Nar Empire, and her right arm is burned all the way to her elbow. She’s about five-and-a-half feet high and has dark hair reaching halfway down her neck. Last time I saw her, she was in the Union. I think she went to Rock Eden, but I’m not sure.”

Haratim – “We are currently heading to my personal storage area in our territory. Once we arrive, I’ll deposit some crates. Then, we’ll go back to Bona-Fide, where we’ll meet with a friend of mine who might be able to help us find her.”

Ethen – “How far is it from here?”

Haratim – “We are about half a moon away from the storage area, and it should take about two-and-a-half moons to reach Bona-Fide. Which means about two months in the Union calendar.”

Ethen – “So, you’ll move to the Union right away for me?”

Haratim – “No, I’ll move to Bona-Fide. I have a new product to sell, and I seek clients. The Union’s trade with the Celestial Traders is under the control of my friend and mentor, Suhaib El-Mourad. I’ll go meet him and provide him with the same product that you had the luxury to use. Then, I will ask him to help us find that Vatra of yours.”

Ethen – “If it can help me find her, you’ll have my allegiance.”

Haratim – “Then, welcome among us once more. You’ll find that I reward well those who serve me. Besides, I must say it is pleasant to speak the tongue of the Union once again.”

Ethen – “When did you learn it?”

Haratim – “I learned it as a slave. It was the tongue of my mother, although I was not raised within the Union.”

Ethen – “And where were you raised?”

Haratim – “In a land far beyond the endless sea. In a far crueller, yet just land of Aleateka, land of all the Celestial Traders.”

Ethen – “Do you often go back to your homeland?”

Haratim – “About once a year. In fact, we might head there once we have sold the rest of my elixir.”

Ethen – “I’ve been wondering for a while now.”

Haratim – “About what?”

Ethen – “How long have I slept?”

Haratim – “About 10 days, I think. Although we woke you up multiple time to force-feed you. You had lost a lot of blood, and you needed to stabilise before drinking that potion.”

Ethen – “That potion?”

Haratim – “The reason you feel stronger and younger is a potion that values near 200 times its weight in gold.”

Ethen – “So the effect is temporary?”

Haratim – “Yes and no. Each time you’ll get injured, the healing will be slower than the previous injury, and eventually, it will be nearly as slow as a normal human being. But it isn’t all. You are truly younger. As for your age, the time of your death from old age will be delayed by nearly a decade of what it should have been.”

Ethen – “I see . . .”

Haratim – “Oh, and while we are talking about your sleep, that cabin you were in is my favourite servant’s private cabin. So, since you are back on foot, you’ll sleep with the other crew members so that she can have her room back. I hope you won’t find any disagreement toward that.”

Ethen – “I don’t really mind.”

Haratim – “Good! Besides, you’ll still have a bed. You’ll just not be alone in your room anymore.”

Ethen – “Since I’m a crewmember now, what am I expected to do?”

Haratim – “For now, nothing. Try not to be disliked by the rest of my crew. Most of them don’t speak your tongue, so either try to learn theirs or let them do their own thing. I’ll give you a more precise task once we’ll have reached our destination.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

0