Chapter 79
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 79

Year 163 – Fall – Sextus Mensis – 34th day

Fort Wind-River, eastern side of the Ponterona’s territory

 

A light snow was falling inside the fort. Eight squared formations of a hundred men were aligned in the courtyard of Fort Wind-River, wearing gambesons, mail hauberks and coifs, side swords, spears, round shields, large backpacks, and tan surcoats with the closed hand of the Union stitched in. In front of them were eight Centumherus wearing red surcoats and horse crest helmets.

They were awaiting instruction in a silence only interrupted by the footsteps of a man fiercely walking on the freezing wood of his gallery. On his fourteenth step, he stopped and stared at the recruits. They were exhausted from their journey, and some of them were freezing. 

Bilfrith Krain – “I am Sir Bilfrith Krain, vassal of Lord Nikolas Strahlend of Rock Eden, and I will be in charge of this army. For some of you, I will be a model, and for others, I will be a nightmare. But know that no matter how you see me, within three months, I’ll turn you all from the wolf cubs that you are into a fully grown wolf pack, ready to hunt down the Kalator! Commander Fernando Montes will show you your cantonment. Once it is done, I expect the eight Centumherus to join me in the great chamber.”

The cantonment was an underground mine filled with beds, and only a few fireplaces with chimneys leading to the upper wall were lighting the area. It was warm, but the air felt heavy. The roof was low, and while the many stone support had held for decades, an uneasy feeling filled the newcomers’ minds.

Commander Fernando Montes – “Don’t worry about the structure; it was built to hold a siege during winter. If you feel anxious, you can always sleep in the snow, but I can’t assure you’ll pass the night.”

Once the soldiers had stored their equipment, the eight Centumherus left to the great chamber located above ground. When they finally arrived, Bilfrith Krain was sitting on a chair, eating a plentiful meal.

The eight Centumherus looked at each other, unsure of what to do.

Bilfrith Krain – “What are you so afraid of? Come on, sit.”

As they sat on the many chairs in silence, Bilfrith spoke again.

Bilfrith Krain – “Oh, and tell me your names as you are sitting, we’ll do two birds with one stone.”

Centumherus 1 – “Sigert.”

Centumherus 2 – “Esben.”

Centumherus 3 – “Kasper.”

Centumherus 4 – “Eric.”

Centumherus 5 – “Aleksandar.”

Centumherus 6 – “Jonathan.”

Centumherus 7 – “Daniel.”

Centumherus 8 – “Edvard.”

Bilfrith Krain – “What training have your men endured?”

Sigert – “Spear formation, sword fighting, running, and various types of physical endurance.”

Bilfrith Krain – “And how long can they last fighting?”

Sigert – “I’m not sure, sir.”

Bilfrith Krain – “You don’t know?”

Daniel – “Long enough.”

Bilfrith Krain – “Long enough? Daniel, was it?”

Daniel – “Yes, Commander.”

Bilfrith Krain – “Have you ever been on a battlefield?”

Daniel – “None that were not for training, Commander.”

Bilfrith Krain – “Then let me tell you how it usually goes. If the terrain is at your advantage and your numbers are superior and your army is more well-equipped and trained than your opponent, if your army has better logistics and coordination, and if your army is physically stronger, then, and only then, it will go as planned and your men will have the stamina for a long enough time. But when even one of these elements isn’t aligned, the odds may change. The most important thing as a Centumherus isn’t to be brave and strong, but to know when your men will reach their limits. You all need to remember that you can fight another day, but if you try to run when your men are too tired to fight, they will also be too tired to run.”

Sigert – “Running away? To let the enemy ravage our citizens?”

Bilfrith Krain – “Tell me, Sigert, if you were to stay and die, what would happen?”

Sigert didn’t reply.

Bilfrith Krain – “Brave men die young, wise men stay alive and wait for opportunities. The late lord of Avem was proud and brave. He now lies six feet underground, if he even got buried, that is. I have no intention of sharing his fate, but I do have the intention of taking back the Vale and the Frey from the Kalator’s hand. For that, I’ll need each of you to know your men’s limits.”

Sigert – “If it will keep them alive, I’ll do what you ask, sir.”

Bilfrith Krain – “Tomorrow, I want your men to train until they are too tired to keep going. I want you to bring me the twenty most resilient ones. I want to know those who don’t stop when all the others do.”

The eight Centumherus nodded.

 

 

 

 


Author's note: Tome 1 and 2 available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09LMGZV39

0