14. Companions Have Sick-Days Too
28 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aurélie and Étienne’s outing in the pouring rain had its consequences the next evening after the pair returned to the chateau. Aurélie woke up feeling exhausted and drained, her nose bright red and sneezes echoing in her bed chambers. Amelie looked at the companion in pity as she placed a cold cloth over her forehead. 

My, my. You really caught something. What on earth did you do?

Aurélie coughed and pulled the covers up to her eyes, trying to hide her blushed cheeks. “I feel awful. I rarely get sick.”

I think you have a fever as well. Best stay in bed for this evening. I can let Étienne and the Duke know that you will not be able to work for the next few days? Amelie suggested, standing up from her chair, that she had placed next to the bed. 

Aurélie shook her head. “That will not be necessary. I am sure both are too busy for my company.”

As you wish. Amelie wrote, bowing her head. I will be back later with some broth from the kitchens. If you need anything, ring the bell and either me or one of the other maids will come running. Get some rest!

Aurélie nodded and watched her maid leave the room. As soon as the bedroom doors were closed the companion groaned, burying herself under the covers. Why did she have to get sick? While it was unusual for her to get this ill, it had been a long time since she was around fellow humans and several years behind in building up her immune system. Pushing the covers back off her Aurélie weakly leaned towards a glass of water that Amelie had left for her. With slightly shaking hands she managed to gulp down a few mouthfuls of water. While she was annoyed for getting sick, at least she had an excuse not to go walking around the chateau. Her intimacy with Étienne had left her quite sore. She was thankful that Amelie never questioned the increase in blood stained cloths that she had been presenting several days prior to when she needed them. Lying back down Aurélie closed her eyes, hoping to sleep away whatever she had managed to catch at the festival, butterflies still rising to her stomach and core whenever she thought back to the church. 

***

A sharp knock ripped Aurélie out of her sleep. She stumbled over to the double doors, managing to put on a robe in her haze and wincing with each step. As she opened the doors she noticed Étienne standing in the doorway. 

“Ah there you are. I need your help in the library. Meet me there once you are dressed.” 

Étienne gave her no time to respond before he spun on his heels and walked down the hall again. Aurélie was about to yell after him when she noticed Matthieu pull Étienne to the side and began discussing something with him. Aurélie placed her head against the door and groaned, before walking back into her room. She slowly made her way to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. Her nose was still pink— nothing that a bit of powder could fix— and her eyes were slightly bloodshot. Perhaps she could blame lack of sleep on the state of her eyes. After what felt like forever, Aurélie was dressed and ready to meet Étienne. She had weakly managed to put her hair in simple braids and pinned them into a bun at the base of her skull. After fumbling with the Dubois pin for several seconds she gave up and left the pin next to the wash basin. Looking in the mirror once more Aurélie nodded. While she still looked tired, her makeup had managed to cover up the fact that she was unwell. 

“You’ve got this. It will just be a few simple letters,” Aurélie whispered to her reflection. She pushed herself away from the basin and began walking out of the room and down the hallways. Several of the staff bowed their heads to her when she passed them, and Aurélie prayed that Amelie did not catch her out of bed. 

She would never read the end of it if she did. 

Étienne was already seated at the table in the library, paying no attention to Aurélie when she knocked on the doors and invited herself in. Even though the fireplace was lit, the young companion still felt cold. She walked over and sat down opposite Étienne, waiting for him to give her a job. After several minutes had passed in complete silence, she cleared her throat. 

“Is there anything I can help you with?” 

Étienne looked up from the letter he was reading. “Not really. I just wanted your company.” 

Aurélie looked at him in surprise, before leaning back into her chair. The world was starting to spin and she silently cursed at herself for tying her corset so tightly. After focusing on her breathing and shifting slightly, she felt better and the room stopped spinning. She watched Étienne read his letters, picking up a few from the stack next to him. When he did not stop her she read them, quickly growing bored. They were letters regarding the state of the chateau and future projects. A few letters were from several vampire communities across Europe, keeping both Duke Saint-Clair and his son updated on what was happening. It seemed that most of the correspondence mentioned Duke Delacroix’s ball that was planning to go ahead at the end of June.

“Have the invitations for Duke Delacroix’s event been sent yet?” Aurélie asked, looking up at Étienne. He placed down the letter he was reading and shifted towards her. 

“They should be somewhere in this stack. There is one addressed to you as well,” he said, beginning to look through the pile. After a few seconds he pulled out an envelope, sliding it across to Aurélie. As she picked it up he watched her, noticing the dark circles under her eyes. Confused he scanned her face, realising that something was off. She seemed more tired than usual, her shoulder slightly hunched. Her eyes were narrowed and red, and she was dressed unusually warm for the library. Even her hands seemed to be shaking slightly as she held the letter he had given her. 

After a while Aurélie looked up and smiled. “It is kind of the Duke to invite me as well, considering what happened during your father’s dinner. When will we be leaving for Transylvania?”

“Around a week or two before the event,” Étienne answered, looking at her with caution. “Care to take a stroll with me around the grounds?” 

The exhaustion that washed over her at the thought of having to walk around the entire chateau grounds did not go unnoticed by Étienne, and he purposefully jumped up and held out his arm towards his companion. Her grip was weak when she stood up, and he began leading her out of the library while keeping a watchful eye on her. Aurélie stopped walking as they reached the end of the hall, swaying. Étienne held out his arm and caught his companion as she began sinking to the ground, breathing heavily. He placed a hand against her forehead and clicked his tongue. 

“And when were you going to tell me that you are ill?” he softly scolded, after Aurélie opened her eyes again. 

“I was hoping that all I would have to do is read through letters,” she said, guilty, looking up at him. “Perhaps this is God’s punishment for what we did in his church earlier.”

Étienne scoffed and shook his head. “Perhaps we should have been warmer and dryer. My apologies.”

Aurélie watched him as he bowed his head slightly. He was very close to her, his dark blue eyes peering into her pale ones. He still kept a firm grip on her upper body, preventing her from fully crashing to the ground. 

“Can you stand?” he asked after a while, ignoring the gradual rise of his heartbeat.

Aurele nodded and managed to get back onto her feet with his help. Étienne refused to remove his grip as he began guiding her up the stairs, making sure that she would not fall again with each step that they took. Once they reached the top he gave her several moments to catch her breath, before continuing to lead her to her room. Once inside, he ordered her to get into bed. He waited politely in the room while Aurélie went into the bathroom to change into her nightgown. Once she had climbed into bed and pulled the covers up, he pulled up the chair that Amelie was sitting in earlier. 

“What are you doing?” Aurélie asked, watching him. She still felt extremely cold, even with the covers pulled up to her chin. 

“Watching over you. Where is Amelie?” 

Aurélie shrugged. “She said something about coming back later with food.”

Étienne shook his head and leaned back in the chair, crossing his arms. “Are you cold?”

Aurélie nodded. 

“You should not cover up yourself that much when you have a fever. It is quite warm in here already.”

Aurélie folded the covers down to her chest. Étienne noticed the locket he had given her, the gemstone at the centre glimmering. Aurélie followed his gaze and smiled. 

“Thank you again for your gift. It is very special to me.” 

Étienne cleared his throat and shifted his gaze. “It is nothing. Get some rest. I will look after you until Amelie gets back.”

Aurélie nodded her head and closed her eyes, too nervous to fall asleep. She heard Étienne get up at some point, returning with the washcloth that Amelie had given her earlier. He carefully placed it on her forehead. Aurélie sighed in content as the wet washcloth began cooling her down slightly. 

Étienne watched carefully as his companion began drifting off to sleep, her breaths deeper and slower as the minutes passed by. Once he was sure that she was fast asleep he got up and walked over to her bookshelf, pulling out one of the many books. It was a book on Greek mythology, one that he had never seen before. Not picking his companion for the mythology type he shrugged and opened it, turning to the first chapter. He softly began reading out the passages, careful not to wake up Aurélie. She shifted several times in her sleep, turning to her side and facing him. Her expression was soft as she continued to sleep. He smiled at her and continued reading. 

Étienne stopped reading when Amelie walked into the room, holding a bowl of broth and several new washcloths. She squeaked in surprise as she noticed Étienne, quickly bowing her head. The maid walked to the opposite side of the bed and placed down the items she was carrying, pulling her slate from under her arm. 

Why are you in here?

Étienne shrugged. “She is ill. I thought it be best if someone were to watch over her while you were out.”

Amelie narrowed her eyes and walked over to the bathroom, noticing Aurelie’s uniform folded next to the washbasin. She returned into the room, holding up her slate. 

Did she go out?

Étienne scratched the back of his head, sighing. “I did not realise she was ill until after I had called her into the library and read through some letters.”

He flinched as Amelie walked over to him and smacked him across the arm with her slate. He jumped up from the chair and held up his arms. 

“I am sorry. I would have not called on her if I had known and paid better attention. She is resting now.”

Amelie shook her head and sighed, hastily scribbling on her slate again. You really are something else. Forcing my poor Aurélie to go out and work when she is so ill. Shame on you.

“I really would not have asked for her to join me, had I known earlier. I will leave her in your good hands,” Étienne said, hurrying towards the door. “Call me if she gets any worse.”

Amelie nodded and watched as he left, sitting down in his spot and watching Aurélie. She shook her head and replaced the washcloth once Aurélie turned back to face the ceiling. 

***

After two days Aurélie was back to full health, earning the scolding of her lifetime from Amelie. She patiently sat through half and hour of Amelie’s scribbling, nodding and apologising where appropriate. She promised that she would not work next time she was sick, handing her maid a piece of her leftover cake that Pierre had brought her, as a peace offering. It briefly caused Amelie to stop writing, yet she still glared at Aurélie as she ate her slice. The companion stifled a giggle and resorted to sitting by the window, letting the morning sun shine on her face. She turned to Amelie after remembering the invitation to Duke Delacroix’s estate. 

“Oh, before I forget. I will be accompanying Étienne to Transylvania. I will need your help picking out outfits and packing.”

Amelie dropped her fork and jumped up, rushing over the Aurélie. After several seconds she pushed her slate forward, giving Aurélie barely any time to read. 

When will you be leaving? For how long? Will Étienne be with you the entire time?

Aurélie looked up at Amelie from the slate, confused by her maid’s sudden change in demeanour. The young woman in front of her looked worried, one hand firmly on her slate and the other balling up the side of her skirt. 

“I do not know for how long. It is quite the journey so I assumed we would be staying there for a while. Is something the matter?”

Amelie quickly shook her head and smiled, letting go of her skirt. My apologies. I did not mean to startle you. I will ensure that you have everything you need for your journey. 

With that Amelie turned and began to hurry out of the room. Aurélie could faintly make out a list that was being hastily scribbled on the slate. She watched in confusion, shrugging her shoulder after a while and turning back to the sunlight that streamed through the window. 

1