19. A Friendly Face
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aurélie braced herself for an extra few days of spending her time cooped up in her room. She spent majority of the evening that Étienne left to go out on the hunting trip staring out of the windows, admiring the constellations that were visible. She could make out faint lights from surrounding villages and wondered how many humans stumbled across the Duke’s castle, and just how many vampires were residents in the villages. From her knowledge and experience they were able to blend in with the general population quite seamlessly. She shuddered thinking about what would happen if one were to find out what the Duke and his staff actually were. The history books did not spare any details in regards to uprisings and suspicions. 

Aurélie sighed and leaned against her open window, admiring the stars. Just as her mind began to wander where Étienne was and what he was hunting, a loud knock ripped her from her daydream. Straightening out her skirts and tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear, she walked over and opened the door. Daniela was standing in front of her, a mild look of annoyance on her face. 

Before Aurélie could open her mouth the maid looked up and began to speak. 

“There is someone waiting for you in the drawing room.”

“Is the Duke allowing me to see this person that has requested my presence?” Aurélie asked, mildly annoyed. 

Daniela nodded and began walking, giving Aurélie little time to put on a cardigan and follow her. The hallways were quiet as usual, with the occasional staff member walking by. As they approached closer to the drawing room, Aurélie began to wonder who called upon her. The head of blond hair that popped up from the sofa caused her to smile. 

“My lady, what a pleasure that you were able to join me this evening,” Oliver called out, rushing over to the doorway and bowing before Aurélie. As he did, she noticed the dark circle underneath his eyes. His face was much paler than usual and his usual immaculately kept hair was messy and sticking up at the back. He swiftly took her hand and planted a kiss on it, before standing up straight again and grinning at the companion in front of him. Aurélie noticed the  small scratches on his neck and several leaves stuck on the navy coat he was wearing. Oliver turned to Daniela who was still standing next to them, the maid looking as if she was lost in thought. 

“You may leave us now,” he sternly told her, Daniela rushing away from the pair after a quick curtsey.  

“I did not know that you were arriving this evening,” Aurélie said after her maid had left the room, smiling up at the vampire in front of her, while trying to avert her gaze from the bruises on the side of his cheek. “Duke Delacroix is away on a hunting trip with both Duke Saint-Clair and Étienne.”

“I am aware. As soon as we were settled in my father accompanied them. I politely declined the offer.” Oliver smiled. 

“Why? Do you not like going out on hunting trips?”

Oliver shook his head. “I am quite exhausted from the journey and was excited to see you again. Your presence is worth more than any prize animal I would be able to bring home,” he said, bumping his shoulder gently into hers. Aurélie blushed and shook her head. 

“You are quite well versed in flattery. How was your journey? You look a little disheveled, if I may be so rude.”

“You could never be rude. It was rather quite interesting, I must say.”

“How so?”

Oliver guided Aurélie to the sofa, beckoning for her to sit. He let himself fall next to her, brushing away one of the many leaves that were stuck to his coat. “For one, I was not expecting to get ambushed a few miles from the castle.”

Aurélie quickly sat up and looked at Oliver with wide eyes. Her heart began racing and she grabbed his hands. Images of the men that had surrounded their carriage, hearts being ripped out by Saint-Clair’s men, flooding her memory. “You were ambushed as well?”

It was Oliver’s turn to stare down at the companion. “Whatever do you mean?”

“Not too long after we crossed the border our carriage was attacked and Duke Saint-Clair was injured. He said something about rebels being the cause of the attack,” Aurélie revealed. “Are you alright?”

“I am fine. Just scratched up a little, as you can see. We were able to defend ourselves and made quick work of the ambushers. How odd,” he said, narrowing his eyes. “Did you bring up the ambush with Duke Delacroix?”

Aurélie shook her head and let out a small sigh. “I have been confined to my room ever since we have arrived here. I am sure Duke Saint-Clair or even Étienne would have mentioned something during our stay.”

“Never mind the attack— what do you mean you have been confined?” Oliver asked, shifting sideways on the sofa so that he was facing the companion. 

“I am only allowed to go out of my room if I am with Étienne. The Duke ordered it and I have been too afraid to go against his orders unless the sun is out,” she said, lowering her voice. 

Oliver scoffed and leaned against the backrest of the sofa. “And Saint-Clair has let that slide?” 

“I have barely seen him. The Duke’s daughter prefers his company over anyone else’s.”

“I have not had the pleasure of meeting her, so I am unable to make any judgements,” Oliver said. “I hear that she can be quite clingy to those she likes.”

Aurélie shrugged and twirled her thumbs, looking down. “I have only seen her once.”

“I still cannot believe that the Duke has said something like that. Has he forgotten the status that you hold?”

“He is of a higher status than I am.”

“Yes but you are the companion of a prince.”

“That is just a formal title for all children of the Grand Dukes. It does not change the fact that I am a mere companion. Besides, you are all below him too.”

Oliver merely shrugged and stared at the grandfather clock in the corner of the room. He took a deep breath and let go of the bottom of his coat, which he had no recollection of gripping so tightly. The companion next to him had a sad smile on her face, something that made his blood boil. He could not come to terms with the fact that the woman next to him always needed to endure poor mannerisms from those higher than her. While he had never experienced what it was like to be in the company of his own companion, he was stunned that they were treated so lowly. 

“Being human does not help either. The role of a companion has always been reserved for vampires. I am surprised that Duke Saint-Clair and Étienne were willing to tarnish their reputation, having me amongst them,” Aurélie softly said, wrapping her arms around herself. 

Oliver placed his hand on her arm, squeezing it. “That is quite enough of that. We cannot have you doubting yourself.” 

“It is hard not to. I constantly feel like I will disappoint or be the laughing stock if I make a mistake.”

“You will not be laughed at. I am sure Étienne would beat up anyone that did.”

Aurélie laughed and shook her head. “That sounds like something he could possibly do. He has a tendency to act first and then think later.”

“That he certainly does.” Oliver winced as he brushed his hand across his cheek, coming into contact with the bruise that was steadily turning more blue. Aurélie stood up and excused herself after noticing the state he was in, ordering Oliver to stay seated. She hunted down one of the staff members rushing around the castle, asking them for a cold cloth. After several minutes she was seated back down next to her patient, ordering him to keep the cloth pressed to his face. 

“How many were there?” she asked, drying her hands on her skirt and watching as Oliver obediently kept the cloth pressed against his face. 

Oliver shrugged, thinking back to the attack. Figures dressed in cloaks occupied his mind, none of them having any distinguishing features or indication as to where they came from or who they were. Their numbers blurred in his head. “I do not know. It hall happened so quickly. They were definitely vampires, though.”

Aurélie nodded, thinking back to when Duke Saint-Clair pulled back the hoods of their attackers, revealing the sharp fangs that protruded from their lips. “So were ours.” 

“Duke Delacroix must be notified, if he has not been already. I have no doubts that he would want to know if vampire groups are beginning to attack those of higher blood.”

“Duke Delacroix terrifies me. I do not wish to know how he would react,” Aurélie whispered, shivering as she thought back to what Amelie had told her. She had felt uneasy ever since stepping foot inside the castle, thinking of the fear and pain that her maid had to endure. If there was an uprising of vampire groups threatening to attack and kill anyone of a higher status, she did not want to stay here any longer, and certainly not in someone’s castle that treated their guests and staff so poorly. In her eyes, the Duke did not seem to care what happened to her. 

“I do not think there is a soul alive who thinks otherwise,” Oliver said, pulling Aurélie from her thoughts. “He is certainly not to be messed with. Which makes this entire throne business harder.”

“Will the Dukes come to a decision soon?” 

“I would not be surprised if this ball that Delacroix is hosting is the deciding factor. There will be several important members present and each of them will have a leader in mind.”

Aurélie sighed. “I honestly have no idea who will take the throne. It all seems so poorly managed.”

“That is because it is very much poorly organised. King Renauld’s death was unexpected and he did not have an heir secured before his passing. The throne is up for anyone to take, really. Unless someone magically presented themselves as actual heir,” Oliver said, standing up for a brief moment and stretching. He looked around himself cautiously before suddenly kneeling in front of Aurélie, his face close to hers. The cloth was placed down next to him, slowly beginning to soak the fabric of the sofa underneath it. 

“Watch your step and make sure to look after Étienne. The walls in this place have eyes and ears. I would not be surprised if the ambush both our families faced were done by Delacroix to prevent my father or Étienne’s father from taking the throne.”

Aurélie was surprised at Oliver’s sudden change of demeanour, peering down into his determined eyes. 

“Do you think he would actually do something like that? Would that not be seen as treason by all three nations?”

“It definitely would. But if the people that attacked us were from here, I do not think they would care if it was treason or not. Duke Delacroix is powerful, and this country has the oldest community of vampires,” Oliver told her. “Did Étienne say when he will be back for his hunting trip?”

Aurélie shrugged. “I assumed he would be back before sunrise— if they did not plan on staying somewhere overnight.”

Oliver nodded. “The three of us must meet once he comes back. We have to make sure that what happened was only a coincidence, and not some elaborate attempt on our lives. May I call upon both you and Étienne before the ball in a few nights?”

“Of course you may. Only if you hold that cloth back onto your bruise,” Aurélie said, picking up the soaked fabric and handing it back to Oliver. The vampire smiled and nodded, clearing his throat and sitting back down next to her, following the companion’s orders. 

***

The sound of a gunshot echoed around the forest, followed by applause from several men. 

“Excellent shot. I did not know that you were so skilled with weaponry,” Duke Delacroix said as he watched a bird plummet from the purple sky in front of him. He pulled on the reigns of his stallion, trying to gain control over the startled beast that had begun to buck slightly. 

Étienne lowered his hunting rifle, shrugging. He watched as his father and Duke Linnington rode over to the fallen bird, jumping off their horses and inspecting the creature. Several of Duke Delacroix’s men also rode over, leaving Étienne and the Duke standing side-by-side. 

“I do hope you have settled in nicely at my estate. Have you made any plans to pass your time before the ball?” Duke Delacroix asked, turning towards Étienne and handing him back his gloves. 

“I have planned for Aurélie to accompany me around the castle and surrounding areas, while she will be free to roam your castle as she pleases on days that I cannot be accompanied,” Étienne said, pulling up his gloves and opening and closing his fists. 

The Duke’s eyes narrowed. “I will think about your request.”

“Oh it was not a request, your grace,” Étienne said, turning his head towards the Duke and picking up the reigns that he had lain over his lap. “The disgrace you have shown towards my companion has not gone unnoticed. She is part of the Saint-Clair family and will be treated with the same respect that is shown towards me and my father. She will be moved to a room closer to mine that is appropriately furnished and decorated.”

“Do not order me around, boy,” the Duke said with gritted teeth. 

“Or what? Aurelie’s wellbeing is my concern, not yours,” Étienne informed, nodding his head at Duke Linnington, who held up the creature he had shot down. “If you will excuse me now, I do believe the sun is starting to rise rather rapidly.”

Étienne pulled on the reigns and guided his horse to turn around, tipping his hat towards Duke Delacroix. “I will be retiring early for the morning. I hope that my requests will be carried out within the next few days. Good-day to you.” Étienne smiled, as he began to make his way back to the castle through the forest. 

He could feel the Duke’s angry gaze burning holes into his back, causing Étienne to break out into an even wider grin.  

 

 

1