29. Home
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Aurélie woke up, she noticed that the space next to her was empty. Sitting up and blinking a few times to fully wake up, she realised that the curtains were drawn back and that the sun was setting. She took a moment to recognise her surroundings, the events of the previous evening quickly rushing to her. Still feeling exhausted, Aurélie swung her legs over the bed, swaying slightly as she stood up. The door to the bathroom opened, revealing Étienne as he stepped back into the room, fully dressed.

“Good, you are awake. I was about to wake you up myself,” he greeted her, giving her a smile and running a hand through his hair. “We should hurry. I expect that my father will be knocking on our door soon to continue our journey home.”

Home. They were still days away but Aurélie already felt a sense of joy wash over her as she imagined her room and Amelie. The peaceful gardens and the cozy library and living spaces. What she wouldn’t give to already be back at the chateau and forget all about the events that happened the evening prior.

“I should not take long,” Aurélie said, picking out her Dubois uniform and walking over to the bathroom. Étienne stepped to the side to let her pass, gently closing the door behind her.

In less than twenty minutes, the travelling group was packed and seated in the carriages they had travelled with the night before. The innkeeper was given another small pouch filled with coins, generously taking it and bowing to Duke Saint-Clair as he left.

The Duke decided to sit in a separate carriage with several of his men to discuss important matters, leaving Aurélie and Étienne in a carriage by themselves. The pair spent the day’s journey discussing what had happened and what exactly Aurélie had found in Delacroix’s office. She omitted the part about the dagger, not yet sure how she would explain the exact copy she had resting above their heads. When the pair was not discussing what had happened or what was awaiting for them back in France, they silently watched the dark countryside pass by or make light conversation. Aurélie learnt a lot about Étienne’s childhood and his mother. She was surprised to hear how similar Étienne was to his mother. It seemed that both were mischievous and both had a similar temper. Her death was a surprise to everyone, having happened rather suddenly and with no explanation what drove her to end her life. When recalling having found his mother in the gardens with a silver dagger in her heart, Étienne stopped the conversation and stared outside. He let Aurélie take his hand into her’s, giving him time to either continue his story or leave it. To the companion’s surprise, he continued on, talking about the funeral and how most of the important figureheads from Europe were present— including Delacroix.

Aurélie thanked him for sharing his story, appreciating the fact that he was comfortable enough to recall such a terrible event in her presence. She enjoyed spending the time they had alone together, thankful that his stories made time go by a little faster.

The journey back to France was long. As soon as the group had left the borders of Hungary, they resumed the usual route and regularly swapped out horses so that the ride back home would go a little faster. They still had to spend several nights in the same inns and hotels they had stayed in when they made their way to Delacroix’s castle, as they continued to transversed the European countryside.

As soon as they had crossed the border into France, Aurélie let out a sigh of relief. They had one last stop before they would pass into the more remote region of the country, where chateau Saint-Clair rested. The place that they stayed at was small but lavish. Duke Saint-Clair and Étienne were met by a tall dark man that shouted in glee as they stepped past the threshold, his arms wide as he embraced the Duke.

Everyone was rushed inside and rooms were being prepared for the travelling group. The owner of the inn was named Jerome, a vampire that was over four hundred years old. Aurélie learned from him that he had managed to build up this place and provide a safe haven for those who were running away from the revolution. Endless tunnels and rooms ran underneath the inn, some connecting to houses and churches from the nearby village. The companion politely declined his invitation for her and Étienne to have a brief tour, not really in the mood to spend half a day underground. She felt exhausted and was ready to fall into whatever bed was given to her.

As they had been doing for the entire trip, Aurélie and Étienne once again decided to share a room. At first it felt strange having to share the same space with someone but Aurélie soon grew accustomed to having Étienne beside her when she woke up. The pair was too tired to talk much and after a quick dinner, both fell asleep as soon as their heads hit the pillows.

Étienne woke up to Aurélie retching in the bathroom. He slid out of bed and threw open the bathroom door, his eyes widening as he saw his companion sitting on the floor, her face in a bucket. Gently stepping over to her and kneeling down next to her, Étienne ran his hand up and down Aurélie’s back. He twisted her hair closer to her head with his other hand, mindful of any loose strands.

“There, do you feel better?” Étienne asked once Aurélie was done, watching as she groaned and leaned back against the bathtub behind them.

“I do not know why I suddenly feel so ill. We have been barely gone for two months but I have already lost my tolerance for the French cuisine. How awful!”

Étienne chuckled and shook his head. “It is not uncommon for people to get sick while travelling. You probably just caught something in one of the previous towns we stopped to rest at,” he tried to reassured her, giving her a small smile. “Can I bring you anything? Jerome might have some food in the kitchens.”

Aurélie’s stomach twisted once again at the thought of food. She quickly shook her head, wiping the sweat off her forehead. “I think I will just rest for now. Perhaps a good day’s sleep is all I need. I am exhausted beyond belief.”

Étienne watched as Aurélie stood up, gripping the corner of the basin next to her. He followed closely behind her as she made her way to the bed, falling into it. She let Étienne pull the covers over her, tucking her in securely. He promised to clean up the mess that she had left behind, extinguishing the candles that were lit around the room. By the time that Étienne had returned to the room, his companion was already fast asleep. He slid back into the bed next to her, resting one hand gently against her forehead. She felt warmer than usual. Letting out a sigh of concern, Étienne produced a washcloth, dipping it in cold water and secured it onto her forehead. While Aurélie slept, Étienne kept watch over her, allowing himself only a few hours of sporadic rest.

By the time that they were leaving to go to the chateau, Aurélie was feeling much better. She was up and about as usual, rushing around to pack their things. Her sudden burst of energy did not keep Étienne away from watching her closely during the last leg of their journey. She was still pale and thinner than usual, uneasiness and concern clouding his mind. He made a mental note to request a human doctor to look at her once they were back home and settled.

Both Aurélie and Étienne had their faces glued to the windows of the carriage as they approached the chateau. Still a while away, they could already make out the staff that were eagerly waiting for their return. Amelie and Matthieu were standing at the front of the crowd, waving eagerly as the group approached. Duke Saint-Clair stepped out of the carriage first, shaking hands with Matthieu and several other staff members, while Étienne helped Aurélie gather her skirts.

The first thing Aurélie saw as she stepped out of the carriage was a flash of red hair before she was enveloped. Laughing in joy and ready to almost burst into tears, the companion held Amelie tight. Her maid stepped back and held Aurélie’s face between her hands, concern washing over her face as she began to examine the companion. A slate was held up not too long after.

What did they do to you?

“Nothing. I am just exhausted and have not been feeling myself since before we left the castle,” Aurélie said, watching as Amelie erased what was written on her slate and quickly wrote something new.

Let me get you ready and then you can rest for as long as you need to. 

Amelie turned to Étienne, who had managed to slip past them and was engaged in conversation with several of the staff, loudly tapping against her slate to get his attention and pointing to it once she did. You better let her rest!

Étienne grinned and shook his head. “It is good to see you as well, Amelie. I trust that she will be well looked after in your care. I will drop by to check on her later.”

Amelie nodded in approval, grabbing Aurélie by the hand and pulling her towards the steps of the chateau, giving her no time to gather her things or make polite conversation with the staff that had so diligently looked after her before she had left. The companion did not protest as she was pulled along the corridors and up into her bedroom. When the doors swung open, Aurélie did start to cry. Her room was neat and welcoming, the familiar navy colours of the Saint-Clair family decorating the large room. The companion leaned against the wall, waves of emotion flooding over her. The journey, the ambush, the castle, Delacroix and his guests, Clara and the events at the ball all washed over her. She was finally home and with people that she knew would look after her.

I have already drawn up a bath for you. Let me know when you are ready to have it.

Aurélie smiled at her maid and gave her another hug, wiping away the tears that had trailed down her cheeks. “I have really missed you.”

Amelie let out a small sigh and ran her hands up and down the companion’s back, giving her a tight squeeze. She pulled back and smiled at Aurélie, briefly resting a hand on her cheek.

You will have to tell me what happened. We were all surprised when we got the Duke’s letter a couple of days ago urging us to prepare the chateau for your arrival.

Aurélie nodded, making her way into the bathroom. Undressing herself and sinking down into the tub, breathing a sigh of relief as the warm water and familiar scent of lavender greeted her, she began telling Amelie everything that had happened as the maid sat down on the edge of the tub, listening intently while folding towels and washcloths.

By the time that Aurélie was dressed in more comfortable clothes and finished her story, her luggage had been brought up and was in the process of being unpacked by Amelie. The companion’s eyes landed on the bag that contained her personal belongings, a breath of relief escaping her lips as she noticed that it was still unopened. Walking over and picking it up, Aurélie smiled at Amelie and told her that she would unpack the rest herself. Written protests filled the slate that the maid carried around, urging Aurélie to lay down and rest. It took several minutes of convincing and reassuring that Aurélie’s things would not run away if they weren’t unpacked for the evening, Amelie eventually giving in and making sure that the companion was comfortable. With a good-night written on the slate followed by, ring the bell if you need me at any time during the night, Amelie gently closed the door behind her as she left the room.

Aurélie lay comfortably in her bed, the familiar scent welcoming her as she stared up at the ceiling. It was quiet in the room. The birds outside informed her that the sun was beginning to rise. Aurélie felt exhaustion wash over her as the minutes ticked by and the light that escaped through the gaps of the curtains filled parts of her room. The space next to her felt empty. She had gotten used to sharing a room and a bed with Étienne for over half the month that they had taken to get back to the chateau. She wondered if he felt the same, lying in his bed and staring up at the similar ceiling she had. Turning on her side and letting out a long sigh, Aurélie closed her eyes and drifted off into a deep sleep, her exhaustion given her little time to pine for the young master. 

1