Chapter 1: The beginning of a hero’s journey!
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 1

The beginning of a hero's journey!

Appearing in front of me is a gigantic sword, peeking over me who is 5’10 or 177.8 cm. Its pommel was a unique square shape with a ruby embedded in the middle of it.

 

 The grip of the sword was long, long enough for me to grip it with two hands and still have extra room for me to move up and down.

 

Its rectangle shaped guard was curving upwards and resting at the same angle as the blade with a small gap in the middle where it was held by a solid black block.

 

And the blade…It was magical looking. Connected to the guard by an arrow-tip shaped rain-guard. It was a glowing, almost divine looking blade which made up most of the length of the sword. Its edges were completely hidden except for two fading rectangles at the sides of the blade and running alongside the edge, a series of unknown but somehow understandable text.

 

The background of the sword was almost as magnificent as the sword itself. A beautiful bright blue sky, a large, gigantic floating castle sat atop a floating island surrounded by broken pieces of floating earth.

 

That’s when I – Erin – realized that I was in another world.

 

Just as my mind began to drift away from the beautiful scene in front of me, a voice snapped me out. “Hey! Hey! You there!”

 

“H-HUH!? Huh?” Darting my head around I tried to find the source of the voice, then I realized that the voice was coming from within my head.

 

“Look in front!” I turn towards the sword “Yes! That’s me, the one talking to you!”

 

“Y-Your talking?!”

 

“Yes! Phew…Finally, someone who can hear me…” For a moment there, I thought I saw the sword visibly shrink.

 

“W-Who are you?”

 

“That’s what I should be asking you! You suddenly appeared out of nowhere in front of me!”

 

“U-Uh. I-I’m Erin? Now you answer!”

 

“Hmph! Fine! I am the Great Hero of this continent; «Hero Knight Adrian»!”

 

“Great hero?! Wow! How can a sword be a great hero?”

 

“HMPH! FOOL! I used to be human, but after my death by the hands of the demon king, I was sealed inside this sword! Hah! He died right afterwards though!”

“D-Demon king? Was he strong?”

 

“Strong would be an understatement, he was a complete monster! In fact, his original title was «The one with the largest mana well»”

 

“Wow! That means you who defeated him must also be a monster too right!?”

 

“Hmph! I like smart kids like you! Here’s a deal, pick me up and I’ll help you become the greatest hero in the entire w-“

 

“No.”

 

“W-What!? D-Do you know who I am? D-Don’t fuck with me kid! I’m the great hero!”

 

“W-Well…You’re a talking sword that’s promising great power in exchange for using it so..”

 

“I-…Good point kid, But I promise you that I’m no demonic sword! I mean look at my figure!”

 

“Hmm…Well you do look really angelic.”

 

“That’s right and looking at you, I don’t think that you can protect yourself! If you pick me up, not only will I teach you my skills, I can also serve as a weapon for you!”

 

“Ah…Fine, I’ll pick you up!” Convinced, I walked over to the sword and held it by its handle, I readied my arms and legs and began pulling it out of the ground. Surprisingly, the sword was really light compared to how large it was.

 

“Light huh? Haha! This is one of my skills as a sword, I’m able to change my weight and density freely which means that I can even be heavier than a dragon if I wanted to!”

 

Suddenly, the sword vibrated in my hands “Oh? Looks like you aren’t strong enough to wield my full power! I’ll have to seal the rest of my power” The sword began slowly losing its shine and started shifting and twisting its metal until it looked like an undecorated black-metal great sword.

 

“Well…What can I do to get stronger?”

 

“Hm…You could try to become an adventurer? Taking quests can both help you improve your skills AND earn you money. Plus, if you get famous enough, you can get hired by kingdoms.”

 

“Ah okay, where can I sign up?”

 

“Uh...There should be a town west of here.”

“Speaking of which, where is here?”

“Ah? Oh, the floating castle there is the «Sword Temple». Apparently, they built this place like a few hundred years ago to honor me. I think that they scattered my swords all over the continent and if you gather them all, you would be able to access my hidden legacy…”

 

“What!? Why didn’t you tell me this!?”

“W-Well, you wouldn’t need any sword but me, so I didn’t see any reason to tell you! Plus, my soul was fragmented and placed in each of my swords, so my mental faculties aren’t working that well.”

 

“And also, you said that they built this place a few hundred years ago?! How old are you!?”

 

“HAH?? ITS RUDE TO ASK A WOMAN HER AGE Y’KNOW??”

 

“WHAT?? YOU’RE A WOMAN??”

 

“I-I MEAN NO, BUT- “

 

“THEN IT DOESN’T APPLY TO YOUU”

 

“OUUCH! STOP HITTING ME YOU FOOOOL!!!”

 

§ § §

 

After the brief argument I had with Adrian, I began on my journey through the forest. Surprisingly, I wasn’t attacked by wolves or bears or bandits every minute. It was mostly silent except for a few animals and screeching here and there.

 

I think the huge sword I was waving around helped though.

 

Suddenly, I heard Adrian’s voice. “Hey, stop. I think I felt something over there.”, He suddenly shifted the weight of the sword towards my right.

 

Turning towards where he directed, I began to investigate and after a few minutes of walking, I saw the thing he felt.

 

Or rather, I felt it. Immediately, my body reacted and pushed the sword in front of me right before a devastating strike smashed into me.

 

I felt my body slide back with me somehow not falling on my ass in the process, peeking out from behind my sword I saw, first the slow rising smoke from the front face of my sword and second, the thing that attacked me.

There, I saw the figure of a floating skeletal figure draped in dark robes, a disgustingly vile staff made from rotted wood and an evil and menacing looking sword which reminded me of a scorpion.

 

“Haha! You see that, boy? That’s a lich, looks like he’s being controlled by one of my swords!”

 

“W-What?! Isn’t a lich like a dangerous monster!? Isn’t it supposed to be an end-game boss!?”

 

“Eh? End…Game boss? Well, I don’t know what that is, but you’re correct. Liches are pretty dangerous monsters, like A-ranked or something…But since you have me, it’ll be nothing!”

 

Suddenly from the sword, a figure came out. It was a handsome man, blonde hair with an ethereal figure. He was dressed in armor and with the same sword as me in hand.

 

“Just follow me movements and you’ll be fine.”

 

The man who I assume to be Adrian, went down, and dashed towards the lich. Then, in one swift stroke he swung his sword in an arc towards the lich, cutting it in half.

 

Going down myself, I followed his movements and dashed towards the lich, swinging my sword towards it in a not-so-smooth arc. The lich raised its sword and my sword which suddenly increased in weight, slammed into it, sending the lich flying and smashing into multiple trees.

 

Then Adrian’s ghost ran towards the lich and jumped up, smashing its sword into its body.

 

I followed him and using all my might, jumped up and swung my sword down. The lift raised its staff, and my sword struck the air in front of it instead.

 

“«Barrier magic»? Huh? Foolish! Just continue swinging at it!”

 

Following his orders I swung my sword at the barrier, striking it again and again. I heard a cracking noise and suddenly, my sword went through and down towards the lich. That’s when the lich opened his mouth and whispered unintelligible words.

 

I feel a sharp pain in my chest as I’m knocked back from the lich. Looking down, I see a blue ghost-like hand slammed into my chest. It promptly faded after it finished punching me back.

 

“Tsk, this is why I hate mages. Firstly, their unpredictable; versatility is a mage’s spellbook”

 

The lich stands up, raising its staff again and murmuring a few words. As he finishes, a small army skeletons wearing and wielding steel rise from the ground which turned into a black gooey substance which smell made me feel weak.

 

He raised his sword and pointed it towards me, the skeletons following his order and charging at me.

 

I responded by following Adrian’s moves, by swinging my sword.

 

“Plus, they don’t have to be near you to attack you. Mages are smart, they won’t face you face to face”

 

I continued swinging my sword in a frenzy, my body somehow being able to keep up with Adrian.

 

“But of course, there are ways for even swordsmen like us to deal with mages”

 

I bent down, swinging my sword in a circle. The skeletons lower half being completely decimated and using this chance, I lift my sword and smashed it into the ground.

 

I watched as the lich raised its staff and created a huge fireball. I stopped in my tracks and lifted my sword up, expecting a strike. The lich paused and then I felt a sword slash right into my back. I knelt in pain; my eyes started tearing up. It was a burning pain which throbbed.

Then, I felt the fireball’s explosion. I flew back and slammed into a tree, my sword still in my hand and placed right in front of me. My back felt even worse now, it was overpowering, and I had barely enough energy to hold my sword up.

 

The lich slowly surrounded me with his army and came right in front of me with its sword raised.

 

“Mages like him are cocky, they lived too long without having to trouble themselves with a powerful opponent…That’s why, they always fall to such trickery”

 

My body was suddenly filled with immense energy and in one swift stroke, I cut the lich in half. Everything looked like it was slow motion and looking at the lich’s skull as he slowly fell to the ground, I smiled.

 

It was the face of utter shock.

 

I lifted my arm and smashed it down into its head, destroying its skull. Finally, the battle has ended.

 

As I began to fade away, the view of the lich’s skeleton army crumbling into dust in my eyes, I heard Adrian’s voice.

 

“Remember this, Erin. When dealing with mages, hide your actual capabilities and when they eventually let down their guard, kill them in an instant strike.”

 

I fell asleep.

 

Thank you for reading this chapter! I hope that you enjoyed it!

0