3. Don’t Touch
44 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mor is beyond pissed. This blasted forest just keeps going. All the dirt that she had washed off earlier is already back! Stomping through the tall grass and bushes she finally, FINALLY, made it to a road. The road was dirt with two thin indents. Short grass stubbornly grew in-between the marks while mud and dust settled at the bottom. Trees where half heartedly cleared on either side to make it somewhat visible.

With a sigh Mor looked at the dirt path and then back at the underbrush she had been fighting for the past couple of hours. It had become more and more obvious that when the Coventina said go east she didn’t mean that the ocean was just over a hill. Only that the ocean was east from here. The burning sun and dry air were doing little for her mood as she set off down the road heading in what she thinks is South. The wrong direction but at least it would be easier then the untamed wilderness she had been traversing before. If she can make it to a town then she can ask for better directions then 'Go east.'

The road twisted and turned its way through the dense forest saving her from having to push through the plants. However in exchange she had to stomp through mud. As the hours passed with no change in scenery Mor got fed up and sat down against a tree. She leaned her head back and watched the sun slowly dip below the horizon. Red, orange, and purple stained the sky letting the world know that the day was coming to an end.

Her stomach growled in protest to the fact that she haven’t eaten anything all day. Mor lazily glanced around to check if there was something edible in the area but soon gave up. She could live for five days without food, no problem. It had just became a habit to eat everyday. Plus she was a bit too lazy to hunt down food after the day she has had. Watching the sun dip below the trees Mor waited in vague anticipation for what would happen next.

For the last couple of miles she has been stalked by things hiding in the woods. They have made no move to take action even though Mor has left clear openings while she walked. Making no indication that she knew they were there. Hopefully the cover of darkness will bring them some confidence. In the mean time she could use a rest. There was no point in continuing the trek in the dark. Plus whatever was foolish enough to hunt her was sure to make a nice meal. Mor sat waiting against the tree eyes closed ears trained to the slightest noise.

Time passed slowly as she sat doing nothing. Buzzing sounded in her ears as misquotes emerged from where ever they hid during the day. The little buggers determined to feed on the closest warm body. Her eyebrows furrowed as one landed on her. Mor waited for just the right moment. There! Quickly she slammed her hand down on her leg killing the pest. While it did nothing in the grand scheme of things it was still satisfying.

Mor opened her eyes and stood up, brushed as much grass off as she could. If the things following her weren't going to come out so be it. They can stay hidden as long as they like and she'll just ignore them. Waiting in the dark for the stalker to emerge was annoying. Especially when she could be continuing her trek to where ever this road leads.

A tall human looking man emerged from the forest blocking her path. So her stalker finally appears. His dark blue eye swept across her form with a scummy smile. Misplaced confidence oozing from his every poor as he stepped forward. Mor knew the type. Kind of hard not to when you work as a mercenary going from battle field to battlefield. Her gaze harshened watching and reading his every move. Slowly he held up his hands in a obvious sign of surrender. His smile dropped when she didn't react to his sign of submissions. “ምን, ልጃገረድ አጠራጣሪ መሆኑ ነው?”

Mor frowned but otherwise made no sign she heard him. What language is that. She don’t understand anything. She did not want to learn a new language!

“እኔም አንድ ጥያቄ እጠይቃችኋለሁ ጊዜ መልስልኝ!” He yelled face going red in anger. Not that Mor knew what he said, but it was absolutely hideous to look at. Oi, your going to pop a vain. She thought in disgust. Well that might be fun to see. She has never actually seen someone do that before. Disgust changing to reluctant fascination. She knew theoretically it was possible to do.

His anger grew as Mor didn't respond. At his shout more men came out from the cover of the woods. Obviously having barked some kind of order. Did that mean he was the leader of is little band? One of the men made his way up to the leader trying to calm him down with marginal success. How disappointing. It looked like she was not going to see the legendary vein pop after all.

She watched the new men as he comforted the first one. What a great example of camaraderie. How annoying. Deciding that she has had enough of this charade she walking around the men and their stupidly affectionate show. At least that was the plan.

As she passed by the group one of the men grabbed her arm. His grip tightening trying to pull her back. Obviously unhappy that their target was leaving. Key word being trying. Mor grabbed his wrist and broke it. No one and she mean No One touches her! She glared at the man as he cried out in pain and squirmed on the ground like the insect he is.

“ሄይ!” The others shouted in alarm. Pulling out their weapons and pointed them at her. Like that would save the worm on the ground. He is dead. Mor kicked the man hard, sending him flying into a man behind him. Unfortunately the sword missed and only lightly injured his arm. Mor tisked. Lucky man.

The others shouted at her in their strange rough language and started charged. Mor rolled her neck making it pop. “Let the games begin.” She whispered a vicious smile gracing her lips. Hello convenient anger management dummies!

5