Chapter 5 – Cut the first threads
400 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***(Renian's POV)***

The blood from the self-inflicted wound on my lip ran down his chin and then a drop fell onto the clean white tablecloth. My stomach is in turmoil, my abdominal muscles contract and my gaze is fixed on the three women in front of me, ready to catch their every single movement. Joetta opened her eyes slightly more, showing concern. My sister was dissatisfied, probably for not seeing the reaction she expected. My mother's eyebrow twitched when she saw how my blood had stained the tablecloth.

Although I will not give in kept me lucid, my body struggled to resist and for a moment my balance failed, making me unbalanced.

«Forgive my rudeness, Master Flinne.» Sidrie stated, using a napkin to wipe away the trickle of blood

That was just an excuse to allow me to lean on her momentarily. Sidrie knows my reactions or rather, how my body reacts when it suffers trauma, illness, or similar and does everything to support me. But there is a small detail every time she offers herself as support for my weakened body. Ugh. I feel a certain softness at the back of my head. Yep, my head always ends up resting on her breast.

Seeing us, I noticed how Joetta's worried gaze became sharp. Grimacing slightly, she turned and took another sip of tea.

«As expected of a commoner servant.» my sister stated slightly bored «Succinct, rude and she doesn't know what it means to stay in her place.»

At the statement, the servants present began to chuckle in a low tone. Probably because it was intentional, Sidrie’s maid’s dress is slightly different from the one usually worn. Her skirt is slightly shorter allowing her feet to be shown, while her chest area is exposed allowing outsiders to see her skin and the size of her breasts accentuated by the dress. To top it off, she doesn't wear any kind of coif.

I felt Sidrie’s grip get slightly stronger but I touched her hand. Her eyes fell on me and I shook my head slightly. Thank you for allowing me to respond.

«Could you explain to me the point of your statement, sister?»

«You're really stupid.» she stated slightly annoyed «She's not polite and she can barely do anything decent from what I know. I don't know what was going through the mind of the person who hired her.»

«Are you judging our mother's choice and authority?»

As soon as I asked that question, her eyes widened as she stared at me and I could see a shiver go up her spine.

As intelligent and a genius as she is, she forgets certain things, and when she does it's easy to fight back. But I admit, this is the first time I’m arguing.

«With what absurd logic can you-»

«The lady of the villa and wife of the owner of the house has the authority to hire, manage, train, and fire the staff, as well as being responsible for them. However, there are conditions to be respected when it comes to dismissal, but stating that you "didn't know what was going through the mind of the person who hired her" is synonymous with "Who's the idiot who hired such a person".» I stated and then turned towards the servants who had giggled «And laughing at the jokes of she or he who is brave enough to challenge the authority of the landlady, in the case of the servants, is a sufficient reason for an on-the-spot dismissal without any letter of recommendation.»

Everyone present looked at me in surprise, and the servants in particular were frightened, as they kept moving their eyes between me and my mother. She placed the cup on the table, took the napkin, and elegantly wiped her lips.

«I am surprised. I didn't think you knew things like that.»

«I owe it to the books left to gather dust in the attic where I live, Mother.» I stated turning towards her with a forced smile «Domestic Management by Baroness Loane Heussaff and Domestic Authority and Discipline by Viscountess Maelle Le Hir are old texts, but still relevant today as they represent the main guides for the home management of the Waralian noble families. I am surprised how my esteemed sister was unaware of the basics for a Warall noblewoman.»

«I beg you pardon?!» my sister exclaimed, standing up suddenly and slamming her hands on the table

«Given how you reacted, it seems I'm right.» I started smiling mockingly «If I may, mother, I would question her tutor as to why my esteemed sister had not been formed in this subject.»

I saw a vein swell on my sister's forehead as her face turned red from the humiliation she just suffered. My mother looked at me with a neutral expression, but there was a certain surprise and amusement in her eyes. Honestly, I wanted to laugh at that moment, but given my abdominal pain, I think I might have started vomiting shortly thereafter.

«Ahem. I apologize if I interrupt your conversation.» Joetta stated, clearing her throat «But because of the trip, I feel tired. I hope it won't be a problem if I retire to the room you kindly offered me.»

«Of course. There's no problem.» my mother stated, smiling

«Thank you.» she thanked her, getting up and then turning towards me and holding out her hand. «Can I ask you to come with me?»

I looked at my mother. She nodded her head in agreement.

«It will be a real pleasure.» I stated, moving to her side and offering her my arm

With a smile, she rose from her chair and leaned on my arm. We began to walk towards the building but before leaving the barceau, we turned towards my mother and my sister and once again paid our respects with a bow.

Sidrie and Joetta's maid followed us at a suitable distance, so that if we were to discuss particular matters the maids could not hear us. However, neither of us was saying a word at this moment.

Joetta keeps moving her gaze between me and what might be coming in front of us. I, on the other hand, am doing everything I can to not grind my teeth from the pain in my stomach. I don't know what these bitches made me drink, but the pain is becoming unbearable. But it's not just stomach pain. I feel slightly hot and my body doesn't stop sweating either.

«Are you okay, Renian?» she asked in a worried tone

I shouldn't be any more surprised by her behavior by now, but I just can't get used to it. At each of our meetings, she is always complicit in my sister's bullying, demonstrating a certain amusement at these acts despite there also hidden hints of concern. But when it's just the two of us, she changes completely, becoming attentive and sometimes even very clingy, almost as if she's afraid of separating me from her. I'm not stupid enough to not recognize these signs, but at the same time, I can't even think that this is her true personality. Tomorrow I am officially an adult. I'll start with you.

«I'm surprised how every time you have the guts to ask me a question like that.» I stated, feeling how Joetta's grip had become firmer. «How do you think I am?»

«I don't know, otherwise I wouldn't have asked you.» she stated in a low tone, almost as if she didn't want to say it

Tsk. You're shy and cowardly like few, you brat. «I'm asking because you know exactly how I feel.» I stated, shifting my gaze to her «And I'm not just referring to the shit I drank just now.»

At the strong, cold, and unrefined tone of my words, she turned with surprised and then immediately frightened eyes. Like the coward that she is, she immediately looks away.

«Ahem. That's no way to talk to a girl.» she stated clearing her voice and looking directly ahead. «Though less so with your fiancé.»

«Fiancé?» I asked indignantly, stopping «By what right can you say that? How dare you call yourself my fiancé when you have only used me as a puppet ready to be thrown away, together with my sister? But above all, what makes you think that I consider you that way?»

I saw a shiver run down her spine before her face snapped up in my direction. Her lips trembled slightly, while her face had gone pale. Oops. I need to calm down a bit. I thought, noticing out of the corner of my eye how Sidre and the other waitress were looking at me in fear.

«Y-you're not?» Joetta asked, recovering slightly from the bloodlust I had involuntarily released «Where did this come from? You know well-»

«I don't know what goes through our parents' minds.» I stated, moving away from her. «But I certainly have no intention of accepting my engagement with a coward like you.»

«C-coward?!»

«What is it? Does the truth hurt you?» I asked her «You have always participated in my sister's harassment, only to apologize when it's just the two of us. This is the behavior of a coward who does not possess even an ounce of remorse for what she has done.»

«This is not true. I am sincerely sorry for what I did to you.»

«You don't even know where sincerity lies.» I stated harshly «If you felt remorse, you would have taken my side or at least, you would have stopped my sister from doing those tasteless pranks, but you never did.»

I looked at Sidrie and nodded at her. She understood and came closer to me.

«From here you should be able to find your way to your room.»

«W-wait!»

I took a couple of steps, but I felt the sleeve of my jacket being pulled. Turning around, I saw Joetta's face close to tears. No, some had already formed in her eyes. They looked at me pleadingly, almost as if she were a desperate puppy. Yes, the same look as an abandoned puppy.

«I beg you. Forgive me. I'm sincerely sorry for everything, but I can't. I can't oppose her. Give me one last chance. Stay with me... I don't want-»

I freed myself from her grip with a swift movement of my arm. The pain in my stomach was gone at that moment. My anger and resentment continued to grow, but despite this, I still managed to control them.

«You have had too many opportunities to redeem yourself» I stated coldly «You have had many opportunities to prevent such events. Every time, you spit on it. Do you think I can believe your words?»

Without giving her another second of my time I turned and headed quickly towards the attic. I felt nothing, everything was silent around me as my anger kept me focused only on what was in front of me. In less than no time, I had arrived in the attic and stopped in front of the entrance door to my room. Before I couldn't feel anything anymore, but now my abdomen hurt more than before, my body feels heavy, my vision is blurry, my head feels like it's exploding and my balance is failing. Shit.

«Sidrie.»

«Yes, Master Renian?»

«I rely on you.»

I had time to make that statement before I felt myself falling heavily. My body and face once again became acquainted with the dusty but cool floor of the attic.

«Master Renian?!»

Sidrie's cry full of concern and surprise was the last thing I heard before losing consciousness.


If you want to read the original story, click here. If you like the story and want to give your support, put a "Like" on the Facebook Page of the novel.

13