Chapter 6 – The Duke
405 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***(Sidrie’s POV)***

They went too far this time. If they didn't want him to be there tomorrow, it was already his intention not to come. Sigh. Why does Master Renian always fall for it on purpose? As I was thinking these thoughts, my feet took me to a particular room.

After the argument between my master and his fiancé, Master Renian collapsed in front of his bedroom door, causing me to have a stroke. After leaving him in bed and providing first aid, I am sure that Master Renian would have wanted to inform his father of his absence at the birthday party held tomorrow. But illness or not, he would have done it anyway.

I stopped in front of a door guarded by an armed guard. He looked at me, but despite the closed helmet, I could feel his gaze always falling on my breasts. Now I don't pay attention to it, but every time I get the instinct to hit whoever does it in their private parts. Taking a step forward, I knocked on the door.

No one answered, but a short time later it was opened and an elderly man stood in front of me, dressed in a black tailcoat, with very short gray hair for old age, thin and sharp brown eyes with a hard expression.

«What brings you to knock on the door of Master Flinne's study, Sidrie?»

Gweltazig Abgrall is the butler of House Flinne and has been the Duke's personal servant since before he inherited the title. Despite his sharp look, he is an open-minded and tolerant person, strict but fair. There is no servant inside this villa who does not respect him as a person and for his role.

«Lord Abgrall, I must inform the Duke of the condition of his son, my master.»

«Is it urgent or can it wait?»

«I'm sorry, Lord Abgral, but I'm not in a position to judge whether it is or isn't at the moment.»

«Hmm.» he murmured, rubbing his chin «You can come in, but you can't speak until you are spoken to.»

«Thank you, Lord Abgrall»

I know perfectly well that for a parent, the health and well-being of their child is a priority, but unfortunately, the world is as big as it is varied and this also applies to Duke Iwen Flinne. In himself, he is not a terrible father as he is affectionate and present with his family but the same cannot be said for my little master. Before my arrival, Iwen Flinne also behaved this way with my little master, but around the age of seven, he also moved away from Renian, isolating him and finally forgetting about his presence with a few exceptions. Despite his disinterest, every month he asks me for a report on his son.

Iwen Flinne is bent over his desk, intent on completing a document and Gweltazig has just stood next to him, waiting. The study is huge, with windows and bookcases on the sides while in the center of the room, there are a pair of leather sofas and between them, a small table embellished with golden decorations, with a crystal ashtray on top of which there is still a cigar with ash. Iwen Flinne is a middle-aged man who is slightly overweight but despite the extra fat, his face is lean, his hair is the light gray typical of the house and his eyes are brown.

I moved in front of the desk and despite the presence of luxurious and comfortable chairs, I remained motionless in front of him, waiting to be spoken to. I don't know how long it was, but I felt the need to leave out of boredom. It was at that moment that Iwen put down his pen.

«Why did you request an audience?» he asked with a nod

At the sign, Gweltazig approached with an elaborate dark wooden box. He opened the lid, revealing an interior padded with a red fabric on which there is a pedestal where there is a figurine of a stork ready to take flight, the heraldic animal of the house. It is the ducal mold. If placed next to the signature of the Duke in the office, the sheet on which it was placed takes on an absolute value.

«It concerns your son, Master Flinne.»

«If you're here, it's obvious that it's about my son.» he stated, taking the seal «So, cut it short and speak. I'm busy.» he finished by pressing the mold onto the sheet

«As you like.» I stated, lowering my head slightly, bowing «Just a short time ago, after returning from the tea party held by your wife, Master Renian Flinne passed out in front of his bedroom door. I'm afraid it's poisoning or some plant with debilitating effects on the body.»

While I was explaining his son's situation to him, Iwen Flinne folded the document and put it in an envelope, poured some sealing wax on it, and then pressed the newly poured wax on it with the ring on his right hand with the heraldry of the family. Despite his determined movements, I saw him flinch for a moment when I told him the cause.

«So, what's your point?» he asked, handing the envelope to Gweltazig and waving for him to leave

«Due to this indisposition, I doubt your son will be able to attend tomorrow's birthday and consequently the coming of age ceremony»

He remained silent, staring at me blankly. When we heard the door close, a few seconds later Iwen took a deep breath.

«He drank on purpose, didn't he?»

«Yes, my lord.» I stated decisively «He had realized that the contents of his cup were not tea. But despite everything, he drank anyway.»

«Until the end, that boy has no intention of coming out of his self-imposed isolation, huh?»

More than a question, his statement was a statement and a simple positive nod of my head was enough to confirm its truthfulness. Ilwen leaned back in his chair and began massaging the bridge of his nose.

Not worrying about Master Renian is an act. It would be more correct to say that Iwen Flinne wants to indulge her son's desire for isolation even if he cannot understand the reason.

«He deceives others with his inconclusive and listless behavior, he tolerates the bullying of his sister, the indifference of his mother and her brothers, without ever caring about the gossip about him.» he stated in a tired tone «I played along but after 7 years, I still can't understand his behavior.»

«However, there is a change in his behavior.»

My statement momentarily stopped the Duke. He slowly placed his gaze on me, serious and interested.

That was enough to make me understand that I had to continue and so I did: I told him how he humiliated his sister with his knowledge and how he harshly reprimanded his fiancé Joetta for her cowardice. It may not seem like it, but we elves have good hearing.

«... once in front of his bedroom door, he lost consciousness.»

Iwen Flinne remained silent throughout the story, never interrupting me and looking me straight in the eyes. He closed his eyes in reflection and then took a deep breath.

«I understand.» he calmly stated «Now you can go. Tomorrow I will ask the Bishop to perform the ceremony in his room.»

«And what about his health, my lord?»

«I'm sure there's no need to bother a member of the Genetricis order.» he stated, picking up a new document again «In the end, you're the one who takes care of him.»

A moment later the office door opened again and Lord Gweltazig returned. I see, he put the mask back on. If he hadn't put it back, he would surely have ordered me to contact secretly a member of the order.

***(Joetta’s POV)***

The night is illuminated by hundreds of stars, without clouds to cover them and the moonlight allows you to see in the dark even without the use of torches. Music, laughter, the smell of succulent dishes, and the constant chatter of people surround me. In this ballroom so full of life to celebrate the birthday of my friend Malotta, I am at her side intent on conversing with other girls we know. These topics are not of great importance, as they are based on fashions, rumors, and gossip.

I smiled and now and then I made statements but my thoughts were elsewhere. Now and then I moved my gaze around me, in the hope of seeing him, in the hope that he would come closer to me and ask for my hand to dance or go somewhere else entirely. But he wasn't there.

«Lady Joetta, I see you are distracted.» one of the girls stated «Is something wrong?»

«No, it's nothing» I stated, recovering

«You can take a break if you want.» Malotta stated slightly worried

«I'm fine.»

The conversation resumed, but my thoughts returned to him, Renian. After yesterday I never saw him again. He does not leave his room, while his personal maid claims that he is unwell and he cannot receive any visitors.

I wanted to talk to him and understand what pushed him to make those statements. Those statements are full of anger and at the same time irrefutable. Having him tell me to my face what I am, that I am a coward, hurt me. I have always considered myself shy, I can't express what I feel in the best way and this also happened with Renian. He made me think. Why did I behave that way towards him? Why did I never help him? Why did I never take his side, despite our relationship? I couldn't find answers to any of these.

Suddenly, the crystalline sound of a glass being tapped with a cutlery attracted my attention and that of everyone present.

«Ladies and gentlemen, I thank you for your participation in my daughter Malotta's birthday» Duke Iwen Flinne began to speak «Seeing your satisfied expressions, I am pleased since this evening is to your liking. But now is the time. Malotta.»

Being called, Malotta approached her father. Next to the Duke, there is a middle-aged man, his face still gives a youthful impression, a hard expression, and clear expressionless eyes. He wears a white tunic and a dark blue cope on his shoulders finely decorated with gold embroidery while a miter sits on his head. A bishop of the Vesticordia order.

The Flinnes have always been a powerful and very influential family. This family has always produced important political figures, such as the current assistant to the Prime Minister and its successor Ewen Flinne, the eldest son. O Brivel Flinne, second son and now educated in foreign customs as a future ambassador. Ancestors of this lineage also held important military and clerical roles, so it is not strange to encounter politically and religiously powerful figures at their banquets, parties, or ceremonies.

Malotta knelt in front of the Bishop, clasping her hands in a sign of prayer. The Bishop placed his fingers on her forehead and began to recite a prayer

«Oh our lady Aphrodite, on this day hear my plea and show the way to this faithful young soul, so that you may show her destiny.»

Malotta was surrounded by a blinding golden light and after a few minutes, she dissipated. She stood up. A beautiful smile on her face.

«Daughter, you are being guided.»

«Yes, father. Watch and rejoice. No... »she began and then turned towards those present «let all of you be witnesses.»

At that statement, she held out her hands, and a golden rectangle with writing inside appeared in front of her.

Name: Malotta Flinne Age: 14
Level: 7 Job: -
Race: Human
Strength: 11 Resistance: 12 Agility: 10
Intelligence: 13 Wisdom: 10 Charm: 15
Passive Skill Level
- Horsemanship 4
- Etiquette 5
Active Skill Level
- Swordsmanship 3
- Archery 4
- Water Magic 4
- Earth Magic 3
- Fire Magic 4
Unique Skill Level
- Intuitive Learning
-

His status was visible to everyone, confirming what they all knew. Malotta is a genius and everyone started clapping, myself included. But despite this roar of applause and admiration, a thought occurred to me. And Renian?


If you want to read the original story, click here. If you like the story and want to give your support, put a "Like" on the Facebook Page of the novel.

11