Chapter 7 – Letter
440 5 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***(Renian’s Pov)***

I still have some stomach discomfort. Not like yesterday's cramps, but I'm certainly not fully recovered.

«Master Renian, you should stay in bed if you want to recover fully and quickly.»

«I know Sidrie, but these letters can't wait for my full recovery.»

Sidrie didn't insist any further. Dressed in a long nightgown and a blanket over my shoulders to protect me from the air that penetrates the cracks in the ceiling, I am bent over the table, intent on writing four letters necessary for my purpose. Except for the introduction and recipient, they are mostly the same. Now and then I would take my eyes off the draft and flip through the various books in front of me. They are legislative and history books, one more up-to-date than the other. Through Sidrie's help, I was able to obtain some of these from the family library or archives that are accessible to noble families. I couldn't make any mistakes, everything had to be unassailable.

Suddenly I heard a roar of applause coming from below, making me stop momentarily the hand with the inkwell and resume immediately after.

«What happened?» Sidrie asked in a slightly surprised tone

«If I had to speculate…» I began, never taking my eyes off the paper «the guests must have seen my sister's status.»

«Her status? But isn't it risky?»

Sidrie's question is legitimate since she is of common origins. Simply put, status is the equivalent of a person's identity card, which also lists numerical values and skills possessed by the individual. You can show it to other people, but in the eyes of a commoner, it is equivalent to releasing information about possible weaknesses or secrets.

«For aristocratic society, showing your newly received status is not obligatory but it certainly affects your future. An individual whose status screams "genius" will have the opportunity to attract the attention of other noble houses, obtaining the basis for greater influence, and at the same time, they will compete to have ties with the person or family.»

«So, is it to ensure a good match?»

«As far as high-ranking noble houses are concerned, it is the main reason.» I stated, putting the letter I had just finished aside. «In the case of minor noble houses, it can also act as a way to attract the attention of more important houses and hope to receive enough to be able to get a job. It is also a way to go job hunting after completing your studies at the academy. Ultimately, everyone chooses to show it, regardless of how normal or brilliant it is.»

«What if a person decides not to show it?»

«There is no precedent so I don't have an answer for you.» I stated, scratching my temple while rereading a shelved letter. «But if I have to make an assumption, that person will most likely not be looked upon favorably and will certainly encounter greater difficulties in finding marriage partners or jobs.»

«I understand.»

Even though I wasn't looking at her, I could imagine her expression of concern for me. After all, the low tone used in the statement was very talkative. Anyway, she has nothing to worry about for me. She is just my maid, she is neither my mother nor my best friend.

Some time passed after our conversation and the silence created was interrupted only by my inkwell and the sound of flipping paper. By the time I finished writing the last letter, I heard footsteps approaching my bedroom door. Looking up, I noticed that Sidrie had noticed it too. The sound of footsteps stopped

«Open the door.» I stated without even waiting for the knock on the door

At the door, there was my father dressed in sumptuous clothes rich in golden embroidery and embellished with gems, together with a high-ranking religious person seeing the wealth flaunted by the clothes. So you haven't forgotten about me, huh?

***(Ilwen’s POV)***

My son looked at us with indifference. No, he seemed almost amused to see me here. Almost as if he was certain I wouldn't come.

He is wearing a nightgown and a blanket over his shoulders, indicating that he has not fully recovered from the substance he ingested the day before. His complexion is pale, highlighting the dark circles under his eyes caused by the insomnia from which he often suffers. Each time he is both a source of concern... and pride.

As much as he suffers without ever taking revenge, he has a will never seen in a child of his age, despite being isolated he knows how to speak with respect and clarity. Listening to Sidre's reports, I got a clear idea about Renian: he has much more character and potential than his older brothers and probably, even than me. My greatest desire is to see that potential blossom, to see what greatness he can aspire to. But alas, he is the block to that bright future.

While Sidrie bowed with grace and devotion at our arrival, Renian stood up showing slight fatigue. He knelt, hiding his expression beneath his gray hair, except for a jet-black quiff. The same hair color as her grandmother. I thought nostalgically.

«Father, your Eminence, I am grateful and surprised by your visit.» he greeted in a calm tone «If I had known, I would have made sure to make this room more suitable for hosting people of your rank.»

«There is no need for all this haste, young Renian. My name is Saig Quiniou, of the Vesticordia order.» His Eminence introduced himself with a light smile «Unfortunately, you couldn't make it to your and your sister's birthday celebration.»

«Thank you for your concern, but as you can see from my state, I have not completely recovered from my ailment.»

My gaze moved to the table where he was sitting just now: there were numerous and voluminous tomes, all open, preventing me from seeing the cover. Given the sheets in front of each tome, it was clear how he had been doing some research until recently. However, the subject of such research is unknown to me.

His Eminence approached Renian until he was a few steps away from him. No one moved in the meantime,

«I understand.» he stated in a sympathetic tone placing his hand on my son's head «Oh our lady Aphrodite, on this day hear my plea and show the way to this faithful young soul, so that you can show his destiny.»

The prayer offered to the guardian deity of the world, used to awaken the status of his protected races, fulfilled his duty but was different. While Malotta had been enveloped in a blinding light, Renian's is milder and more modest.

I noticed one thing, when his Eminence pronounced the name of the divine, a shiver ran down my spine. A powerful bloodlust spread for a moment, and the source seemed to be my son. It must have been my imagination. I thought.

The light dissipated. Renian looked up slightly and after a few minutes, he smiled very tired but at the same time ironically amused.

He tried to get up but struggling a little, Sidrie rushed to his side to help him.

«You are now officially an adult. I will pray that you may fully recover from your ailments.» the Bishop stated solemnly

«Thank you, Excellency.»

Without saying another word, the Bishop turned his back on my son to leave the room

«I am grateful for the opportunity to be invited to this evening. It was a pleasure for me to be able to hold the ceremony for your descendants.»

«I'm happy to know that. It was an honor for me to have you as a guest.»

After a handshake, the Bishop left the room and only me, Sidrie, and my son remained.

«Renian. Happy Birthday-»

Looking back at him, I noticed how he had moved closer to me. He handed me a letter, leaving me perplexed and interrupting my birthday wishes for him. His gaze was fixed in my eyes. A resolute and ardent look like never before.

«Father. Thank you for coming this far to wish me a happy birthday.» he began in a formal tone «But as much as I understand it is not the right method and at the same time the most inappropriate moment, I would like you to grant me an audience in two days.»

I was caught completely off guard. That formal, adult tone made me uncomfortable for a minute, but I recovered the next moment, accepting the yellowed letter.

«For what reason?»

«It has to do with the future of the family and above all, its wellbeing.» he stated taking a few steps back «Inside that envelope, there is written the topic I wish to discuss and the reasons why it would be wise to accept my proposal.»

«I understand.» I stated after a sigh «I will read the letter. For now, I wish you a happy birthday and a speedy recovery.»

«Thank you, Father.»

Seeing him make that bow made me wonder how this could be a normal conversation between the two of us. Between father and son. This is the first time he has started a conversation with me, but his formal tone reminds me of how coldly I was forced to treat him.

Since he began to play the incapable his mother, my wife, immediately began to treat him with sufficiency and disinterest. After all, as they say in the cold and hard Evrineian Empire, «The weak and the incapable are just chains for the others.» As Princess of that empire, she was able to bring that philosophy into this house too. I couldn’t resist, or rather I didn’t think it would be useful. I'm a terrible father.

I closed the door behind me, taking one last look inside the room, noticing how Sidrie was accompanying a weakened Renian to the bed. With the door completely closed, I sighed.

There was still some activity in the hallways I passed. The servants were carrying on with the tidying up work, while the members of my family or our guest had certainly retreated to their rooms. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see some members of the servants bowing in front of me, but a simple wave of my hand was enough to dismiss them.

My eyes are focused on the envelope entrusted to me by my son. Yellowed and made with cheap paper and yet, the addressee had been written impeccably and visible despite the gray ink. I turned it over and there was no seal to keep it closed. I opened it and began reading the letter. As I read more and more, I felt increasingly weak and at the same time petrified. The reasons, as solid as the trunk of an oak tree, pushed me to reject them with greater force, to oppose his proposal, until I reached the last lines.

"...for the reasons listed above, based on what is expressed in articles 391 and 465-bis of the Noble Legislative Code, it is possible for me to request and obtain emancipation and voluntary renunciation of the inheritance of titles and assets due to me. Furthermore, appealing to sentence no. 4605 of 38/6/127 of the Era of Salvation issued by the Royal Supreme Court, I wish to renounce the name Flinne, cut off any ties with the Ducal Family, and become a commoner."

«…...What?!»


If you want to read the original story, click here. If you like the story and want to give your support, put a "Like" on the Facebook Page of the novel.

11