Chapter 8 – Audience and departure
382 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hi guys.

As you may have noticed, I changed the title of the work again. But this is final.

That said, enjoy!

***(Renian's POV)***

There were a few occasions when I took out my best dress and was elegant. By elegant I mean wearing the least worn and used dress among those in my wardrobe. This is another flaw of being treated like the disgrace of the family, as I am provided with the bare minimum or in any case fourth, third, or secondhand things in the rarest cases.

I straightened the sleeves of my blue jacket and knocked on the door of my father's office.

«Come in.» I heard after a few seconds

«Sidrie. You stay here.»

At my command, Sidrie bowed her head and took a few steps back. Without hesitation, I entered.

Usually, my father is always sitting behind the desk busy compiling documents or reviewing reports necessary for the management of the family assets or the territory entrusted to the family by the first King of the Waral Holy Kingdom.

Holy...

There is nothing holy in a kingdom dedicated to that deceiving, narcissistic whore. Just hearing her name causes me incalculable fury.

However, this time my father is sitting on one of the sofas, smoking a cigar and staring at what appears to be my letter. Knowing him, he doesn't read things a minute before a meeting, but his fixed eyes showed a certain surprise and above all concern. Raising that same look he gestured towards the sofa in front of him. Without hesitation, I sat down.

A few minutes passed but no one said a word. Finally, my father, Ilwen, placed the letter on the table between the sofas, smoked his cigar, and looked me directly in the eye.

«I see you've done your research.» he stated «How long have you been preparing?»

«Does it matter?» I asked disinterestedly

«No. It doesn't.» he confirmed after a long pause «But certainly, one thing matters at the moment. What's the reason for your act?» he asked, taking another drag

«Act?»

«Do you think I wouldn't have noticed how you were playing the useless person?» he exhaled, expressing himself in an annoyed tone «You don’t sell me out like you did with the rest of the family and your fiancé.»

«I'm surprised.» I stated sincerely «So you were holding the game.»

«I am your father. I played the game for seven years, and now I’ve got this.» he stated touching the written letter with his index finger «What you ask for, could have been obtained even without playing the part of an idiot.»

Being my father has nothing to do with it. I thought slightly disappointed. If you mean something with that statement, then you wouldn't have let me do as I wanted. You would have tried to understand and come to my aid.

«I highly doubt it, Father.»

«For what reason?»

«If I had demonstrated my true potential, the entire Flinne family would have countless reasons to keep me within these walls, proposing me for who knows what political or administrative office» I sighed «By acting useless I managed to find all the excuses and approvals to leave. My status first and foremost. See for yourself.»

Name: Renian Flinne Age: 14
Level: 3 Job: -
Race: Human
Strength: 6 Resistance: 9 Agility: 7
Intelligence: 20 Wisdom: 16 Charm: 7
Passive Skill Level
- Resistance to altered states (Fear) 2
- Resistance to altered states (Pain) 3
- Resistance to altered states (Disease) 2
- Adamantine Will -
Active Skill Level
- Swordsmanship 1

«What the-? I've never seen values like that.»

«Exactly.» I stated in a calm tone «I doubt anyone has ever seen such a… disappointing status.»

Such a status is unprecedented. Usually, all living beings in this world have a numerical value of 10, and depending on race, lifestyle, and mental strength these values can be greater than the base figure. The same goes for skills.

Given my status, this reflects my weak body due to constant bullying, illnesses, and "corrected" food with who knows what substances. Aside from that, Intelligence and Wisdom are pretty high. Could it be due to being reincarnated?

«This status would give me reasons to keep you in the house, you know?»

«Using an excuse like "He can't leave because he has a fragile body" has little credibility. After all, I only need to take off my shirt to show just a part of what happened to me.» I stated calmly «Besides, my testimony would be enough.»

«You would only prove that you were beaten.» he stated, putting out his cigar «It's not uncommon to get injured during training»

«You didn't understand the main point of my statement, isn’t that right, father?»

«Main point?»

«Would a legal process within the Flinne house go unnoticed? Would it go unnoticed, as one of the sons of the proud sixth Princess Tasya Smirnov Evrineian? »

There is no need to answer this question. My mother, my uncles, my grandparents, and all the people of the Evrinean Empire despise the weak.

The empire is a place whose life is harsh and ruthless, where at the basis of life only one thing is taught: the weak are eaten by the strong. Although considered civilized and followers of the same religious faith as the Warhall Holy Kingdom, they all boast martial discipline and hunting prowess second to none.

«Why are you talking about a legal process?» he asked

«Oh! Didn't I tell you?» I stated feigning surprise «Your letter is not the only letter I have written. Yesterday, letters were also sent to the Curia and the Royal Court of Justice.»

«You did what?!» he jumped up

«Inside there is a detailed description of my request, with references and legislative precedents, including a list of witnesses in favor of accepting my request.» I stated with composure «So, even if you opposed the trial, the witnesses I chose would not be on your side and would push for my expulsion.»

I saw my father clench his fist tightly and then relax it. With a saddened expression and a deep sigh, he sat down again.

«And your Fiancé? Do you want to end your relationship with her?»

«I do not have any problem. Given her behavior and even before the announcement, I never thought of her as such. I suppose that the Marquis will also have nothing to say after reading the contents of the letter sent to him too.» I stated calmly. «Honestly, I don't care if your ties with the Colegers will be lost.»

« Wait, did you send him a letter too? And what do you mean by that last statement?» he asked surprised

«There is an account of all Joetta's actions against me. Honestly, I would be curious to know how the discussion with his daughter will go.» I stated sarcastically «However, my engagement with Joetta Coleger served to further strengthen the royal faction, but it’s strong enough to spare the support of House Coleger.»

For some reason unknown to me, my father looked at me with a surprised expression, and shortly after he began rubbing his temples, sighing again. What kind of reaction is it? Did I misunderstand the real purpose of my engagement with Joetta? While I was asking myself these questions, I heard him mutter something

«Did you say anything, father?»

«No.» he stated in a tired tone. «Going back to the main topic, is there no way to change your mind?»

Has the cigar clouded your mind? «It was my intention for 7 years.» I confirmed after a pause «Even if I hadn't sent those letters, do you think I'm having second thoughts right now?»

«No. I don't think so… when are you going to leave the house?»

«Tomorrow morning at dawn.» I stated with certainty «I have no intention of saying goodbye to the other members of the family and I don't think it's necessary to warn them. As I told you, I would only be doing you a favor by leaving.»

«I understand.»

My father's eyes were filled with sadness and remorse. How to blame him? I've been a father too and I know what this conversation means for a parent who truly cares for their children: you've never considered me, why should you care now?

The discussion ends here

«Ok. With your permission, I would go and get ready.»

I expected to be stopped for the presumption with which I ended our discussion, but it didn't happen. My father sat still, lost in thought.

*****

It was still dark when I opened my eyes, but instinctively I knew dawn was near.

I didn't worry much about how I left this attic, the place I've lived in for the past 6 years. I have no emotional connection with this room and the things inside it. Well, maybe the books but since they don't belong to me I can't take them with me.

I wore simple-looking and comfortable clothes, I put a dirty knife on my belt with the edge of the blade and couldn't even cut a piece of cheese. This is the most I can afford.

I closed the door behind me making sure not to make any noise and my steps towards the exit of this mansion were light and silent. No one was wandering its corridors at this time… or so I thought.

In front of the exit, I found my father in a bathrobe and nightgown.

«Greetings, father.»

«Renian.»

After that answer, silence fell again, no one spoke again. Not knowing why he was there, I walked past him, ignoring his presence.

«If I had treated you differently.» he began once passed «If I had given you the attention and care you deserved, could this have been avoided?»

His question stopped me. You want those kinds of answers before I go, huh? Well, as I have been a father myself, I will answer you truthfully.

«Probably not.» I stated without turning «It would have only made my decision more difficult.»

«I understand.» he sighed tiredly «So, you would have given up everything anyway, huh?»

«Yes.»

«I want to ask you Renian: do you resent me? In your eyes, what kind of father am I?»

«You have no reason to ask these questions.» I stated turning towards him «I have no reason to hate you or feel any resentment. Believe me, you are a good father. After all, in your way, you were watching me.»

Although my statement may have an unpleasant double meaning, Ilwen Flinne has proven to be a loving and understanding father, intent on guiding his children as best as possible and passing on virtues such as honor, duty, and loyalty to them without ever hindering their growth. Even now I can see it: his eyes weren't visible at first but I could see them now, slightly red from tears.

«However, you lack severity and courage. Sometimes, a father must impose himself for the good of his children, and go against his wife if he believes it is necessary. Only if that imposition has failed, then you must let your child go and have faith that he will learn from his mistake.»

«You sound just like a parent.» he stated chuckling ironically «Here.»

He handed me a cloth bag and a short sword.

The bag isn't very big, but it has some weight. When I looked inside there was a gold coin and probably about twenty silver coins. Where did he hide them?

«This is my parting gift Renian.» he stated with a tired smile «It's not much, but it's the best I can do at the moment.»

It was an instinct, something hidden inside me made me move. That drop of affection from "Renian" towards his father. I hugged him, leaving Ilwen momentarily petrified, but he also later returned the hug. I know for a fact that if I had opposed it I might have regretted it. After all, he is still his father. Even if Renian was "dead" before I woke up, the affection towards his family is not. Ultimately, in the eyes of "Renian" you are a good father.

«Good luck son. I will pray that fate will bring us together again.»

«Thank you… dad.»

Dad. It is the first and perhaps the last time I say it in this life.

As the door closed behind me, I noticed out of the corner of my eye Ilwen Flinne standing still and observing me with affection. He stayed to see his son leave the family home to live his life.

«Maybe we could have gotten along in my previous life.» I whispered in amusement as my steps took me out of the gates of this mansion and tears streamed down my eyes.


If you want to read the original story, click here. If you like the story and want to give your support, put a "Like" on the Facebook Page of the novel.

8