Chapter 9 – Call
427 6 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***(Arzhel’s POV)***

«This is the proof of mission accomplishment.» I stated offering a wooden tablet «I remind you to return it with the applicant's stamp once the work is completed.»

«As always, Arzhel.» stated the adventurer in front of me, also taking my hand as well as the tablet «Maybe, later I'll pick you up to have a drink together.»

«Next!» I called to get rid of this scoundrel

He was pushed by a group of adventurers, but although he showed an annoyed expression he couldn't start a fight within the guild, not without risking suspension.

It is no coincidence that the job of receptionist is well paid. Most of the employees are men and women, young and good-looking. It turned out that the adventurers showed greater commitment and dedication in carrying out the missions, as they were eager to return to the reception desk as soon as possible and hit on the employee they had a crush on. Many of these love stories are not uncommon and it is mainly high rank adventurers who take a receptionist as their spouse.

Unfortunately, there are also some like the one just liquidated, famous for having the reproductive apparatus instead of the head, or for having a bad reputation in society.

The pay is good so I can handle… hm? In front of me, there is now a boy who wears simple clothes, over them a leather armor, and at his side, he holds a short sword, while the hood of his cloak is raised. I can't see his face or hair very well, but he's a teenager and his blue eyes are surrounded by dark circles.

«Oh, Renian.» I greeted him with a polite smile «How can I help you?»

«I would like a mission suited to my rank, please.»

«Rank E, correct? One moment...» I consulted the mission book, where copies of the daily missions are transcribed, including those already accepted. «Let's see. If you want there is a request for a babysitter.»

«Could you tell me the position, how many hours it is for, and the salary?»

«In the temple-run slum orphanage, east district. It will be for 8 hours and the pay is 60 Aureus.»

«Perfect, I'll take it.»

«Certainly.» I stated, transcribing some details on a wooden tablet «The appointment is in an hour.»

«Thank you. Have a good day.» he greeted, turning around

Sigh… if only all adventurers were like that boy. I did Renian's recording last week and, just like today, he kept his hood up then too. At first, he didn't give me a good impression but he proved to be incredibly polite and respectful, he asks for essential information about the missions and then leaves unless he needs some more information. Usually, when a receptionist like me starts to speak informally to an adventurer, they think they have a chance, but he has always kept a professional tone. But I'm 20 years old. When he talks to me so formally, it makes me feel old. Siiigh.

***(Renian’s POV)***

The slums. The worst place a citizen of the capital can live. A disaster place, full of shacks, abandoned buildings, drug addicts, alcoholics, criminals, and above all the poor. Security leaves something to be desired unlike the commoner and noble districts, but what can you expect from this place? Nobody looks in this corner of the city and only that whore's priests peeks in now and then. After all, there are temples here too, and since the inhabitants of this world are aware of Aphrodite's existence, the criminals have no intention of risking her wrath. As a result, temples and orphanages are the only safe places in this place full of desperation.

«Thanks again for your help.» stated the elderly nun, putting the stamp of the orphanage on the guild's tablet. «You’re the only one who accepts our missions, Renian, and you’re good with children.»

«Don't worry sister. Looking after children is not a problem» I stated as I received the tablet

«Fufufu. I understand.» the old nun giggled «But it's getting late. Do you want to stay here for the night?» she asked with a worried expression

The sun is now setting «If it's not too much trouble then I'll gladly accept.»

«No problem at all. With all the help you offer us, it's the minimum.»

At night, the slums are even more dangerous and treacherous than during the day. Moreover, as much as I annoy the whore of Aphrodite, buildings blessed in her honor and those who live there have no fault and are certainly purer than her and the corrupt scum of the middle-high clergy. But even so, I can't afford to let my guard down. After all, there is never an end to the worst and I speak from experience.

*****

«Haah!» I screamed, jerking awake

I was gasping, and my heart beat wildly and almost exploded as I held the dagger in my hand. With my hand, I wipe the sweat from my forehead. Shit. I cursed in thought as I saw the accusatory faces of my subordinates again as they tried to strangle me. I'll never get used to it-

«Renian…»

I heard myself called. This female voice called me in the distance. But it wasn't a... sound...

«Renian… Renian…»

I heard my name ringing in my head. I heard this female voice for the first time in... years. It was familiar, very familiar.

«Renian… Renian… Renian…»

I stood up and feeling the coolness of the floor under my feet, I moved towards the direction where I instinctively knew that voice was coming from. If I were to listen to logic, I would ignore this female voice. Maybe it's an illusion created by my tired mind deprived of good rest. But my instinct advised me to follow her. No, he forced it on me.

I opened the door of the cell lent to me by the sisters of the orphanage. There was nothing. There was no corridor, there were no doors, furniture, or lights. Absolute black.

What the…?

Despite the amazement, my feet did not stop. I could feel something under the soles of my feet, but there was no sensation of falling and at the same time I felt neither cold nor hot. My senses were as if they were non-existent. I didn't feel anything.

Suddenly two braziers lit up. The flames are white, with some hue of blue. The intense light forced me to put my hand in front of my eyes. A shriveled, dry hand, full of wrinkles and dark spots. A tingling in my chin forced me to touch it. I had a beard and the skin underneath it and my face felt dry and wrinkled.

«Renian… Renian… Renian…»

Other braziers lit up, forming a path. I continued toward the direction the voice came from. The further I advanced, the more tired I felt, the more my muscles ached, my back felt like it would break at any moment and my knee joints would give way. Symptoms that are as familiar as they are annoying and indicate advanced age.

«Renian… *******… *******…»

The voice began to pronounce another name. But I couldn't hear it. No, it is more correct to say that I couldn't understand it, almost as if that name were a language completely unknown to me but unconsciously, I knew it belonged to me.

After passing the last brazier, I found myself in front of a staircase at the top of which there is a Hellenic temple, built with white stone, whose tympanum is enriched with high reliefs representing scenes of battles and daily life. In the center of it, a woman with a solemn pose, with a spear in her hand and a shield placed on the ground at her side.

Next, my gaze fell on a statue located halfway up the staircase. On a dark-veined marble pedestal carved from the same stone material, a winged woman dressed in a white full-skirted dress with gold embroidery and wing-like hair accessories offers a laurel crown in the direction I come from.

«Nike?» I asked in a hoarse voice

As soon as I pronounced the name of the Goddess of Victory, the statue lit up and the marble crumbled, leaving room for a pale complexion, dark blue hair, white feathered wings, and a soft dress. The pupilless eyes now housed two purple irises full of life.

«******… or maybe I should say Renian, right?» she spoke looking at me from the pedestal

«Lay Nike, it's a pleasure to see you again after a long time.» I greeted, kneeling down

I heard the sound of flapping wings and then the touch of shoes hitting the floor.

«Long time, huh?» she asked «It could be like this for you, but I've been watching over you for 14 years. And look up too. After the conversation between you and Mistress Athena, it seems strange to me to be treated with all this respect.»

I did as I was ordered. Nike was very different in size compared to the first time. She now towered over me and her amethyst gaze looked at me with seriousness and composure.

«The first time, I didn't have full control of my emotions. I won't deny that I was rude. If the divine Athena were awake I would ask for her forgiveness.»

«I'm sure she heard you.» she stated, turning towards the temple with a worried expression

«Can I ask a question?»

«Ask away.»

«Where are we?»

«This is the divine domain of mistress Athena, her inviolable abode and resting place, to which no one can enter without her consent.» she began to answer «Since you already have her consent to access, I have summoned you.»

«Summoned?»

«I must give you the gifts prepared by my lady» she stated solemnly, delicately holding the laurel crown «I must give you your “true” status.»


If you want to read the original story, click here. If you like the story and want to give your support, put a "Like" on the Facebook Page of the novel.

7