Chapter 10 – Metamorphosis
86 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hi guys, Emperor93 here!
As I’m sure the long-time readers of this novel will notice, I’ve taken the drastic and at the same time difficult decision to delete all the chapters following this one.
The reason is quite simple: the story is practically being rewritten, so leaving the old chapters would only confuse new readers who might be interested in the story. After all, we are a curious breed and despite the advice, I doubt that anyone has not passed it.😂
Moreover, by doing so, the system will stop putting this work in "Hiatus" so that others can add to the reading.
Thank you for your attention.


***(Renian’s POV)***

Two words echoed in my head: true status. To be honest, I thought that was my current status.

I remember how Athena asked me to mention Nike's name when the time was right. But I didn't think I would have to call her to receive the gifts. Of course, I tried calling her when I was in hidden places or the inn room, but I never received an answer. I even improvised prayers, but having never been a person of faith, I didn't know where to turn. Anyway, I gave up on it almost immediately because it made me feel stupid.

«So that's why she wanted me to contact you.»

«Exactly.» stated Nike dissatisfied «I thought you would call me immediately after you depart from that lineage of traitors.»

«I tried.» I stated sighing «But you never answered.»

«I couldn't answer you! You were not on any ground blessed to my mistress.»

«And how do you think I could have known? I had not been informed of the method.»

«Ah! Indeed...»

«I told you he didn't know anything about it, Nike.»

I heard a flapping of wings and shortly after, a bird landed on Nike's shoulder. It has stocky shapes, a wide and flattened head without the ear tufts typical of the owl, yellow eyes, and long legs partially covered with bristles. The upper part is grey-brown stained with white while the lower part is predominantly white, stained with brown.

«An owl?»

«I am Fi, familiar of mistress Athena.» the male voice was broadcast directly into my head «My mistress has instructed me to assist Nike in the delivery of your gifts.»

With that statement, Nike took a deep breath and approached me with confident steps. Various undefined humanoid figures began to appear on the steps, almost as if they were witnesses to an investiture. No, this is an investiture...

Nike was now a step away from me and held the laurel crown in both hands. Instinctively, I knelt. My gaze was fixed on the divinity's feet, certain that I had to keep my gaze low so as not to break the solemnity that had been created. I felt something being placed on my head and judging by the sensation, it must have been the crown.

My old, shriveled body shone with light and no matter how little I could keep them open, I could see my skin tightening and rejuvenating. The pains imposed by old age disappeared and I felt as if my body... as if the muscles and bones of this body were continually expanding.

«With this, you have officially received all the gifts prepared by mistress Athena» Fi stated «But even if your spirit has adapted to your status, your earthly body still has not.»

«I understand.» I stated, standing up

«The moment your earthly body becomes accustomed to your true status will be when you open it for the first time.» continued Fi «And it will most likely be a long and painful process so I advise you to carefully choose the place where you open it for the first time»

«Thanks for all you have done.»

«Two more things before you leave us. Nike.»

«Yeah Yeah, I know.»

in a slightly annoyed tone, Nike cupped my face and then kissed me on the forehead. I felt something light up inside my body.

«Now you also have my Divine Blessing.» Nike stated, separating from me «Thank mistress Athena for asking me to give it to you.»

«Absolutely.» I stated, bowing my head in the direction of the temple

«Finally there is this...»

*****

For once I felt refreshed. I don't remember when was the last time I slept so well.

The sun had already risen and the children were already happily running around the courtyard and seeing me they asked me to stay and play with them. The elderly nun accompanied me to the exit together with some followers, wishing me a good day and hoping for my assistance in the future.

I will never get used to the difference in mood between the orphanage and the slums, as well as when there is a transition between the slums and the commoner district. I can never understand how an inhabitant can distinguish the beginning of the slums and the beginning of the commoner district. It's not just the ruined buildings, the acts of violence and crime perpetrated in broad daylight that make you understand this. It's a simple instinct. After all, as I said, it's a matter of mood. Something unconscious and instinctive can give you this certainty.

The commoner district, on the other hand, bursts with life. No kind of eerie atmosphere can grip your survival instincts. Its inhabitants walk carefree and know not to fear crime too much. The city guard patrols these streets, always ready to spot a crime and catch the culprit. In those same streets, itinerant or local merchants behind stalls shout and try to advertise their goods, trying to attract passers-by.

Yet, in many streets and branches hidden in front of this portrait of cheerful carefreeness, the slums begin, expand, or retreat. Phrases like “Stop him!”, “They robbed me!” or “Catch that thief!” it is not difficult to hear and four times out of five the culprits are always the inhabitants of the slums, desperate to the point of risking the pillory or being beaten by the guards during the chase.

Happy carefreeness... this utopia doesn't exist.

Having entered the guild, I went to the reception desk and handed the tablet with the orphanage stamp on it to the receptionist Arzhel, and then received my fee: 60 Aureus. It may seem like a nice sum of money, but in an inn in the commoner district, you can only pay for two nights without meals.

It's true. I have the money given to me by my father but I prefer not to use it unless it is an unavoidable emergency. I could deposit them in the Guild Chests since they also offer a similar service to the banks in my old world, but for now, I prefer to keep them on hand. There is no particular reason I had no reason not to do it, but somehow I didn't find it something to do in this period.

Maybe I instinctively knew about this… change? Hmph, what the fuck am I thinking? I'm not a seer, but despite having lived for 14 years with the name Renian Flinne I didn't feel it was mine. A feeling I also felt when I gave my details to Arzhel when I joined the Adventurers' Guild.

Returning to the inn, I paid the manager enough money to stay for another three days, excluding meals.

?!

In front of my room, I perceived a look. A presence. I turned around but didn't see anything so I didn't pay attention. After all, I'm not the only one staying in this place.

I made sure to lock the door and after taking off my cloak, I sat down on the bed and took a deep breath

Status Open

At first, the usual status appeared in front of me, with numerical values and abilities to indicate my uselessness, but subsequently, this table was overlaid by a red window with "error" written on it. Meanwhile, a synthetic voice began to speak

[Status currently shown invalid!]

[Status, update in progress...]

[Update failed. Physical and genetic characteristics are incorrect.]

[Initialization of physical-genetic alteration to support Status updates]

[0%]

Every fiber, muscle, nerve, and bone in my body, I felt it tear apart. An excruciating pain attacked me like never before, making me bend over and fall to the ground.

[3%]

The mere contact between my skin and the coolness of the floor was intolerable. It seemed like eons had passed. The pain continued to spread. The sensation of feeling my body tearing itself apart continued. I wanted to scream but just breathing was agonizing. Finally, I passed out.

[15%]

I woke up. The pain showed no signs of abating. With difficulty, I managed to open my eyes. To my horror, I watched as my blood lay on the floor as my arm continued to shed skin and expand, exposing the muscle fibers underneath, only to be immediately covered by skin. The awareness of what was happening caused me to faint again.

[50%]

My body no longer ached like before, but it felt warm. My brain felt like it was going to explode at any moment.

[80%]

I couldn't think straight. My senses were clouded and my head continued to hurt. But despite this, I felt a soft sensation under my back while something cool was on my forehead.

[100%]

[Physical-genetic alteration completed.]

[Status update in progress...]

I widened my eyes. Above me, the wooden ceiling of the inn, noticing the rings in the wood planks and the small patches of mold growing. My breathing is labored, but powerful.

How did I get on the bed?

When that pain started to kick in, I clearly remember falling to the ground. So it seems like a fair question considering how I'm lying in bed now. I stood up so I could sit down and a damp rag fell in front of me, leaving me perplexed.

The room must have been full of blood but there was no trace. But aside from that, I noticed other changes. My vision improved, I could smell mold, wood, and food coming from downstairs, and my hearing became finer.

I heard my bedroom door open. I turned around, tense as a violin string. After all, I'm sure I locked the door.


If you want to read the original story, click here. If you like the story and want to give your support, put a "Like" on the Facebook Page of the novel.

2