Chapter 12- Know yourself…
95 5 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***(Renian's POV)***

While I waited for Sidrie to return, I began to take a look at the new status Athena had created for me. Asking the two brother titans to create for the pinnacle of human evolution… I honestly didn't know what to think. The mere description of my race makes me understand how Athena can now be certain of our reunion upon her awakening. Or at least, how she can be sure to rest her eyes on me and my decisions and understand whether she made a mistake in trusting me or not. After all, 5,000 years is not exactly a short time but above all, they are heavy.

If I get surprised just because of this, who knows how I'll end up in the end. I had much more to look at regarding my new status. After all, as an ancient strategist once said “If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the outcome of a hundred battles.”

I sat down on one of the two chairs placed in front of the room table and after a deep breath, I began to examine some of the skills whose effect I could not understand. All I had to do was think about the skill to get a description and its effect

Epimetheus' Magnum Opus

The role of modeling the living beings destined to inhabit the world fell to the titan Epimetheus. When the request was made to him by Athena, he didn't think twice about agreeing and decided to create what he defined as his Magna Opera, succeeding in his intent.

This skill brings together the following:
Adamantine Stomach: You can ingest and digest anything;
Adamantine Mind: grants the abilities Hyper-fast Thinking, Perfect Memory, and Intuitive Learning;
Improved Heavy Bone Weave: +20 Resistance.Gain Resistance to Sharp and Blunt Blows;
Improved Heavy Muscle Weave: +20 strength and +15 Agility;
Dark Vision;
Superior Cicatrization;
Improved Respiratory System;
Enhanced Senses;
Immunity to altered states (Poison and Disease).

Prometheus' Pride

Brother of Epimetheus, Prometheus had the task of giving a talent to every living being shaped by his brother. Having been able to work on it in the past, he was able to create a talent capable of encompassing the best of all the others and allowing the body commissioned by Athena to be defined as the "Apex of Human Evolution".

Each time you level up, all your stats (except Charisma) will increase by 2 points, however, you do not receive any stat bonuses granted by jobs.

Make sense. I thought as I read the effects of the two unique racial abilities. My body is practically immune to death from natural causes such as death or poisoning, but given the enormous potential of this body, it is fair that it does not receive bonuses from jobs.

Simply put, Jobs are classes created to allow civilized races to obtain bonus points and to face the monsters and challenges inhabiting the world more easily. The “Job” section appears on my status. But given the limitations and my skills, can I benefit from learning new jobs?

Jobs not only give a bonus to stats but also job-related skills. But aside from magical abilities, I have most of the combat skills at a considerable level and a couple that seem like the evolved version of the basic ones. There's no point in dwelling on it. I'll have to do some testing. Now…

Hard to Die

***** ******* was an excellent soldier and a commander capable of making cold and immediate decisions. However, his incredible determination and refusal to die on the battlefield allowed him to endure severe wounds, and always managed to return even from the most dangerous missions.

After you suffer a lethal or potentially lethal wound, it does not kill you and you become immune to any damage for the next 10s. With each activation, the chance of it activating is reduced by 10%, down to a minimum chance of 1%.

Victorus aut Mortis

The Homo Sapiens Ultima are living beings capable of excelling in any art they are taught, also making them formidable and fearsome opponents in battle. Thanks to their body and a strong sense of duty, not even death would dare take their soul right away.

Even though you are clinically dead, you manage to remain conscious and fight effectively for the next 3 minutes. If within the first 60 seconds, your body has not suffered irreparable damage or serious amputation, you gain the skill Rapid Regeneration. If your body is completely regenerated, you return to life at the end of the 3 minutes.

I was surprised. I could never have imagined bringing such a… skill with me from my previous life. I mean, what is described is true, I have suffered serious injuries more than once but it is always thanks to the medical staff that I managed to survive. I never thought it was a talent I was born with. Talent or not, I now know that I can die from violent causes or old age. A pseudo-immortality in short.

All other abilities speak for themselves so there is no need to understand their effect. Even the blessings of the two deities don't interest me that much. Most likely, they were given to me to keep an eye on me. However, this...

Grim Vote of Resentment

Damned be the proud, foolish enough to attract your wrath. Mercy will not be granted to those who owe you tribute, everything has a price. Fury will guide your actions, pain and tiredness will not stop you. Until the grudge is settled, no rest or warmth will bring you relief.

When the owner of the ability confronts someone who has become the target of his grudge, this skill activates. Based on the resentment felt, one of the following effects is activated:
• ???????
• ???????
• ???????
• ???????
• ???????
• ???????

The description left me petrified. It was not a simple description of the origin of this skill, but a vow whose strong words completely justify the title of the skill. But description aside, what is worrying are the effects listed: all of them are with interrogative points. What does it mean? Hm?

At that moment I heard a knock on the door

«Master Renian, I have returned.»

«Come in, Sidrie.» I stated closing the status

I hadn't paid much attention to it before, but Sidrie was dressed in light, more revealing dresses than the maid clothes I was used to seeing on her. At her hips she carries short swords and around her neck he keeps a dark scarf whose tip turns bright red.

«In case you forgot, I am no longer a noble and you are not my maid.» I stated, getting up from the chair «Also, doesn't it sound strange to define “master” as someone much younger than you?»

«Never mention a woman’s age. It's taboo.» she stated making a childish expression «And it ran away from me out of habit.»

«Huh-huh.» my gaze turned towards the bags she was holding in her hand at that moment «I imagine there are my clothes in one, but in the other?» I asked, pointing to them

«it's a surprise~»

I raised my eyebrow slightly, not very convinced, but took the bag and turned my back to Sidrie.

The clothes provided are simple peasant clothes, comfortable and light linen garments, suitable for the heat of this season including trousers and a shirt.

Turning around, I noticed two wooden cups on the table with a presumably green liquid inside, the smell of which was aromatic, fresh, with slightly minty and woody facets. Absinthe?

«What is that?»

«Now that you are an adult, I thought we could toast your maturity with this typical drink from my homeland.» she stated smiling «I stumbled upon this bottle while I was looking for clothes. I thought, why not?»

I admit, I was surprised by her initiative. Indeed, the only thing done on my birthday was to write those letters. As I approached the table, I noticed how my sense of smell had improved exponentially: the smell of the liqueur became stronger and stronger, but when I sat in front of the glass I seemed to be able to smell the various ingredients used for the liqueur. Hm? But this…

«Congratulations on your coming of age, Renian.» Sidrie toasted, raising her glass

Lifting the side of my lip slightly to hint at a smile, I took a sip of the liquor. My palate immediately separated each type of flavor. Anise, fennel, notes of artemisia, and the typical bitterness of the plant from which this drink takes its name. But there was something else. I didn't imagine it then.

«Sidrie.» I called her, putting down the glass. «Why, did you serve me a liqueur laced with poison?»


If you want to read the original story, click here. If you like the story and want to give your support, put a "Like" on the Facebook Page of the novel.

2