Chapter 14 – Vow
107 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***(Sidrie's POV)***

«So, you wrote this contract to prevent me from completing the current one?»

«Yes.» he stated confidently «Despite everything, you will still kill me.»

Today is a day full of doubts and surprises. For starters, Renian was able to knock me unconscious as if nothing had happened. All I needed to do was think about it, and the pain on my side came to life. Pain aside, his body is very different from the original one: in addition to being taller, his muscles are defined, powerful, and agile as if he had been training his whole life and the aura around him was completely different, more mature, and mysterious. Of course, there are other changes too, but this is the most immediate.

Returning to the present, I was slightly disappointed by Renian's magical contract: a pact that prevents me from killing him and accepting further contracts aimed at harming him. But the next statement made my shoulders slump. Are you serious? I wondered, looking at him with pity

«Sigh! Before you tell me by what method you would like to “die”...» I began with a sigh «could you tell me how you managed to understand my true identity as an assassin?»

«I didn't know.» he stated «When you entered the service of my family, I had already noticed that your musculature, bearing and endurance were not those of a normal person dedicated to serving as a waitress. Honestly, it was the contract that revealed your identity to me.»

«You are a pervert for sure.» I stated, adding a drop of humor to it

Renian crossed his arms and raised his right eyebrow slightly, looking at me like an idiot, but he said nothing.

I know I played that joke a moment ago, but when he explained his original suspicions to me, it was natural for me to be a little disgusted. After all, it's not exactly pleasant to have your eyes examined every nook and cranny of your body.

«Ahem! Anyway, is this why you tried to keep your distance when I was your maid?»

«That wasn't the reason.» he stated in a calm tone «I never trusted the people around me, not then or now.»

«Nobody's, huh?» I asked, looking down

His statement was like a blow to my feelings. A pang in my heart came without warning and with a strong sense of disappointment.

It was a strange reaction for me. I am an assassin, a weapon of those who can afford my services. Feelings are useless and a hindrance to my work so I was trained to repress them and to recite the reactions dictated by those feelings. I have never really expressed my emotions in my entire life.

The same wasn't much different when my current employer hired me. Infiltrate myself as a commoner's servant, keep an eye on the person known as the "Disgrace of the Flinne" and when necessary or by order of my employer, kill him and deliver proof of the murder.

I expected him to be a fat, arrogant brat like most of the nobles I worked for, but Renian was a surprise. Intelligent, humble, and despite his tendency to be taciturn, an excellent interlocutor. A person capable of making you believe that he is a useless person, and then showing you his genius as soon as you observe his way of living and how he perfectly acts. But at the same time, you can notice his loneliness, his search for it, and the symptoms resulting from a burden on the soul, pushing you to pity him.

I noticed it. I noticed how his person is far from useless. Interacting with him, talking and discussing every day was fun, frustrating, and a source of pride. I was wondering. Does this mean having a younger brother? No. It's more correct, Is this what it feels like to grow up with a sibling? Making buried feelings, satisfactions, and worries resurface, or at least so I thought.

This revelation of his is as sudden as it is painful, but at the same time logical: he wanted to sever every bridge with the past, so his feelings and affections would only be an obstacle. He could end up like I was. In that dark world that without wanting to, he pulled me out. But what is he running away from?

«Do you still have any ink to write?»

«I used my blood.» he stated, raising his eyebrow again «But yes, I still have some. Why are you interested?»

«I want to apply a clause to your contract.» I stated, looking up and staring into his eyes. «If you don't accept it, then you might as well kill me.»

«...What is it?» he asked expressionlessly

«You must accept my vow of loyalty, take me into your service, and allow me to follow you to the end of my days.» I declared seriously

Such a request carries enormous weight, especially if uttered by an assassin.

Referred to in the world of assassins as the “Shadow Vow,” it is magically binding known and utterable by any assassin when they believe they have found their master. Its pronunciation is a more unique than a rare event, as the number of murderers who have carried it out can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Renian remained expressionless, but his eyes could not hide the surprise while the tapping of his finger on his arm showed his agitation. He closed his eyes and breathed in, probably to calm himself, remaining still and thoughtful for a few minutes.

«Specifically, what does this condition involve?»

«I will be the shadow that will protect you wherever you go, you can employ me whenever and wherever you want, entrust me with the elimination of targets and I will not be able to reveal any type of personal information unless you say otherwise.»

«It sound like slavery for me.»

«True. It can be seen that way, but it's my choice. Look at it from this point too...» I began, leaning on the table, «your knowledge of the popular world is very limited if not almost non-existent.»

Renian listened to my explanation without interrupting me, but in his eyes, there was a strong opposition to the idea given how this could seem like slavery. Better to reassure him...

«As at the villa, this contract will make me your servant, but it will not deprive me of my will.»

There was still hesitation, but he was thoughtful, intent on carefully weighing the pros and cons of accepting my vote, but at the same time you could see his opposition to the idea of traveling with someone. It wasn't an adversity towards me specifically, but something else more intimate.

«All right.» he stated after long

Those two words made me happy. But Renian's expression had not changed, in fact, there was still a part of him reluctant to accept, but despite this, he took a wooden stiletto, a vial containing what seemed to be his blood, and began to write my condition on the contract. Finally, he dipped his right thumb in what little blood remained and left the fingerprint at the end of the document.

He handed it to me, giving me a chance to read it again and I nodded with satisfaction as the contract had been amended.

«I would need my hands free to sign.» I stated, holding up my tied hands

«Certainly.»

Taking a knife in his hand, he walked over and took my hands. But instead of cutting the ropes, I felt the edge of the blade on my thumb, making me gasp.

«Hey!»

«Don't whine and sign.» he stated walking away «Then I will free you.»

«You are too much cautious!»

He replied remaining silent. Although frustrated, I should have expected it given how he doesn't trust anyone. I pressed the wound on my thumb so my right index finger could get dirty and then applied my fingerprint to the document, causing it to glow momentarily. I felt something tighten my heart. It's an annoying feeling, but it's proof of how the pact has had an effect.

«Here you are. The contract has been concluded.» I stated slightly annoyed «Now can you free me?»

Nodding, he cut the ropes. Well, now it's time for the vow.

Getting up, I walked a few steps away from him and took his left hand. Renian didn't make any resistance as the magical contract has officially begun. I took a deep breath and knelt in front of him

«I, Sidrie, assassin belonging to the Dark Guild of Assassins, offer you my unquestioned loyalty and services. I will be your shield against the shadows that threaten you and your blade hidden in the darkness ready to fall on your enemies. Until the end of my days, I will be your support, your servant, and… your family. I swear this and so it will be until my flesh rots and my blood dries up.»

As I said my vow, I could feel the mana within me flowing violently, flowing into Renian's hand and beginning to bind us. Dark chains of mana had been generated on our hands and the meeting point between the two was on his ring finger.

«I accept your vote Sidrie, assassin of the Dark Guild of Assassins.»

The meeting point on the ring finger shone slightly brighter and I kissed exactly at that point, definitively sealing the vow. The chains disappeared.

«I am now officially your subordinate.» I stated, standing up smiling «What are your first orders, lord.»

«I've already said it.» he stated after sighing «Help me die.»


If you want to read the original story, click here. If you like the story and want to give your support, put a "Like" on the Facebook Page of the novel.

2