Chapter 3
41 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The night settled around me and I could barely see anything. I wasn’t feeling tired, most likely because the fear I felt at the realization that this most likely wasn't a dream turned most of the blood in my veins into pure adrenaline. My heart was hammering like crazy, sweat was starting to collect on my back even though I was quite cold since I was still bare ass naked next to a fucking river in the middle of the night in some kind of new world! I needed to calm down, panic never produces beneficial outcomes, on the contrary, it seems fuck things up 9 out of 10 times. What wouldn’t I give for the comforting weight of my S&W Model 27, heck I would at least like to have my razor. Sadly, all I have is a fucking stick that would most likely fall apart on the first hit. Taking deep, slow breaths I managed to quell the rising panic and allowed it to settle into a slowly simmering background fear that I could manage. Without any real options before I decided to keep on going down the river. There was no way I was heading deeper into the forest, and I was sure as hell not going to fall asleep.

After what felt like an eternity of creeping along the river in the darkness, I noticed something in the distance. It was light that flickered a little almost like a fire would, that at once got my absolute undivided attention. Crouching closer to the ground I started creeping closer to the light source without making a single noise. After I got close enough, I could see two people. One was lying next to the fire, the other was sitting with his back to the river staring into the forest. Now, this was a situation I knew how to handle. Kill them both, and take their stuff, that would be a step in the right direction.

I settled into a low crouch just out of their camp where light couldn’t reach and started to wait in ambush for my prey to make the last mistake of their life. After a while the guy keeping watch stirred and slowly got up, after looking around he started heading towards the edge of his camp into the forest. He stood next to a tree and started unbuckling his pants then crouched down. At his point he was as good as dead for me, slowly without making a single sound I started approaching my victim. When I stood right behind him, I placed my right hand below his mouth and left on the back of his neck and with all the strength I had in my body I twisted, the satisfying crack that came from his vertebrae snapping, the comforting weight of a dead body in my arms started to soothe my fears. From the moment I stood behind until I held his corpse in my arms it only took a little more than a second. I must admit that my new body was really strong I'm not sure if I could have twisted someone's neck this easily before.

I laid the corpse on the ground and took a small hunting knife from his belt. Silently I crept to the still sleeping person next to the fire. From up close I could see that it was a woman. Without making a sound, I slowly placed the blade of the knife right below her ear applied pressure and quickly sliced across her entire neck until I reached the other ear. Blood started gushing out from the wound and her eyes shot open giving me one last look of terror before the light of life faded from them.

This turned out to be a pretty easy hunt. When the woman was dead, I dragged the corpse of her partner back to the fire and started going through their stuff. They had 3 knives, two small hunting knives and one larger one, almost like a cleaver. From the dulled edge I guess they used it as a hatchet. Next, I managed to assemble myself somewhat of an outfit, pants, and shirt from the man because the woman was much shorter than me, and also her clothes were soaked in blood, cutting someone's throat tends to have that effect, still, I took her underwear cause the man had shit smeared in his and I preferred blood to shit. Other useful items in their camp were a couple of bundles of pelts some food and a couple of bows as well as 2 pouches that held some coins. They probably were hunters trying to earn some money in the fur trade.

I wasn’t good with a bow I never needed to learn how to use it was a weapon that only savages with no culture still used and it also was extremely impractical in the streets of London. So I decided to leave the bows with their owners. I hope they were too poor to afford good firearms and this wasn’t some land of savages that could only use bows and sticks.

Both of my victims lay naked in the dim light of the fire. After closer inspection, I noticed small glimmering rocks set near their eyes I thought they were piercings but when I tried to take them off, I discovered that they were fused with the skin. Closer inspection revealed similar stones running down from their shoulders toward their hands, these were also completely fused with the skin. Interesting, I had no clue what they were, some weird tattoo or strange jewelry. I guess it wasn’t much stranger than having blueish skin. I decided that it would be best to collect my loot and keep moving. I wasn’t too keen on trying to sleep next to bloody corpses and hope that no predators would come out of the forest for a late-night snack.

After a short rest, I started walking again, I must admit that the bloodlust got the better of me I should have kept the woman alive and tried to get some information from her. Though I doubt that would have been easy since I doubt that people here will speak English. Well, no use fretting over spilled milk, or in this case blood, what's done is done. The rest of the night continued without any incidents as I continued my journey down the river, I planned to find some kind of passage across it be it a bridge or a shallow spot that connected two paths. If I managed to find a place like that it could lead me to a bigger road, and roads led to towns and cities.

Even if I was in a completely different world with different people and different laws and rules, I was 100 percent certain that banditry, stealing, and killing existed in those towns and cities that was a fundamental law of the universe, and I had no doubts in my mind that I could make a decent living according to this law. And as the dawn of the two suns brought the morning light, in the distance I finally noticed a contour of a bridge.

2