4: Language
780 6 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I’m sure you all remember what it was like to learn your first language, even if just a little bit. Back in elementary school I remember the little cartoon videos they would show to get us to learn the alphabet, and I admit I took it for granted back then, because damn that would’ve been simpler than having to do what I’m doing right now. 

Imagine this: a one year old girl in her room with little hands and a feather quill creating a chart that compares English lettering to Common (which after an awkward question to mom, I figured out was actually the right word). Overall it wasn’t that bad, it has the same amount of letters as English along with the same phonetics, I simply just had to learn what letter I know corresponds to what letter I don’t. Easy as far as isekai languages go. By the end of the day I was using my chart to read the books that mom had already read for me, and by tomorrow I was sure that I wouldn’t even need that much. 

Still though, the fairy tales in this world gave some great background on the kind of world I’m living in. Back in the days of old, the 5 deities, the Goddess of humanity, God of Demons (the same one that put me in my old body and shipped my soul off to Earth), God of Elves, Goddess of dwarves (who had an adorable little art depiction where she looked quite childlike), and the Northern deity. The Northern deity being of special mention, because it seemingly has no intelligence or form and instead reigns a continent of monsters, being seemingly the gatekeeper of global catastrophe. Without its control, monsters would escape the northern continent, then spread like a disease of chaos across the rest of the world, with no one, not even the other deities, able to stop them. I gulped at the thought of it. Was this the threat I would have to face in 17 years? Would it be something worse? 

Needless to say I started to take my self education a little more seriously after that little reading session. 

I heard my mom call for me from the other room, “Aria dear, it’s time for dinner!” 

“Coming mom!” God I’m glad I don’t have to eat baby mush anymore. Eugh. I placed my alphabet chart into the little desk and dresser my parents had in my room for me. My room itself was pretty nice, with dim lighting from a gas lamp, or at least something that seemed like a gas lamp, but might be powered by something else, I’d have to look into that. I admit it was weird spending my life surrounded by hard wood and stone instead of the drywall and carpets that I was used to in my old home as a kid, but a part of me loved it. There was space on the wall opposite my window for what I hope might eventually become a bookshelf. I wasn’t much of a reader in my past life, but I want to change that in this one. Well, I have to change that, because knowledge is a powerful tool, and I need every single one I can get. I grinned to myself. This is the sweet life, every day has a fantasy vibe! 

My stomach grumbled in protest of my meandering so I opened my door out to the common area of the house, where mom had already set up our plates at the low table. We sat on the floor rather in chairs, which I didn’t mind since I like sitting in all kinds of awkward positions that are uncomfortable in chairs, much to mom’s lament. 

Speaking of mom… “So glad you could join us Aria!” Oh no, she has the sarcastic mom voice again. “How many times do I have to tell you the food’s going to get cold if you wait around too long!” 

“A lot, apparently, sorry…” 

She laughed, and I looked up at her in confusion. “You’re fine kiddo, we just don’t like to start eating until we’re all together. Come on, come sit with us.” I joined her and dad at the kitchen table. I smile at him and he responds with an enthusiastic nod. 

“Alright Aria, do you remember the prayer we taught you?” Considering I was an atheist on Earth, I had some… uncomfortable feelings around the idea of praying, but now that I know that there actually is a Goddess up there who is not only watching me but gave me a chance to live in this body, one that feels so utterly right to exist in, I don’t mind it as much anymore. I nodded to mom and we all put our hands together.

“We thank our Goddess for today’s meal, humbly ask her for continued health, and strength to pursue our dreams.” We say in unison. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m happy to be with this family, or that “I’ve found religion,” or if simply praying to the Goddess gives some kind of buff to your mental attitude, but I found myself smiling like an idiot after the prayer. 

“Okay you two, let’s eat!” Dad says to us both, and we dig in. Our farm doesn’t have many animals, but sometimes dad goes out and hunts game. Tonight we were eating baked potatoes with this world’s equivalent to venison. Or just… venison. I don’t really know how wildlife works here. But if it looks like deer, tastes like deer, it might as well be deer, right? 

I don’t mean to brag, but mom is a pretty legendary cook. She makes baby food taste good. I don’t know how she does it, but I’m not complaining! The meat is juicy and flavorful as hell, and not nearly tough enough to be hard on my young teeth, and I thank the Goddess that this world has potatoes. I take them for granted too much, but god- I mean- Goddess, I’d die without them. 

Early life goes by in a flash, kids, don’t take it for granted. Before I knew it I turned 2… again. How does my mental age even work anymore? Am I still 19? Am I technically 21? I don’t feel 21 or 19, but I certainly don’t feel like a two year old either. I suppose the best way to think about it for now is that I’m a 2 year old with the memories of a past life, rather than a 19/21 year old in a 2 year old body. Considering that old life didn’t really feel like a life anyway, I’m ok with that deal. Especially because I’m not planning on dying anytime soon. I love being myself too much. Does that sound egotistical? Ah, nevermind, focus woman. Girl? Young lady? Damnit!

Well, whatever age I am now, the last year went by way too fast. I’m proficient in reading and writing in Common now, even though I’ve kept that secret from my parents so that they don’t faint from that little fact. I can’t give away that I have memories of a past life. Not yet at least. I do want to tell them about it one day though, I don’t want to just throw away all those memories, no matter how painful they are…. But now isn’t the time. I have a new goal for this year: to raid dad’s library and figure out as much as I can about this world before I become old enough that all my free time is taken away by both eventual school and helping out on the farm once my body is big enough.



51