13: The Outside World
372 2 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few months after my fifth birthday, as the early spring sun shone through my window, I was awoken by dad.

“Hey Little Song, how do you feel about going to town with me today?”

I shot up out of my bed. “Hell yeah! But also, why bring me along today?”

“Well you’re old enough now I think you’re ready for a taste of what it’s like outside home, and poor Blaze has been expecting you to come along any time now.”

“Well, we best not keep him waiting then!”

“We’ll have breakfast with your mom and then head out in about an hour. And we’ll be back sometime in the afternoon or evening. One of my old friends actually let me know by letter that they’ll be in town today, if you’d like to meet them?”

“‘Old friends?’ As in your old adventuring party from school?”

“Same one.”

“I’d love to! Who are they?”

“Juniper, hell of a mace user. They always were the front of our parties. They’re also agender, prefer they/them pronouns.”

“Kinda not cool to out someone dad!” It was true, outing someone was pretty dangerous back on Earth in some circumstances. With some people it could be helpful to know before you meet them but with others it could be deeply troubling. Especially if you were stealth in your daily life, or have a shitty family, etc, etc. 

“Is it? They always let people know right away and so I got into the habit of introducing them with their pronouns.”

“Well, if they’re cool with it then I guess it’s ok.” The thought of being outed in my old life… terrifying what my old dad could’ve done to me. What any bigot could’ve done. “Well, anyway, I’d love to meet them!”

“Sounds good! Come on, let’s go eat,” Dad said.

***

 

Soon enough we ate and loaded up the cart, and dad I sat in the front together. The rolling hills of the countryside were beautiful, and all I’d ever known in this life. It smells like spring out here… I wonder what the town will be like? Bustling? Quiet? Will it be more modern than I expect? Intrigue and curiosity fumed through me.

“Aria, you gotta sit still. I’d really like for you not to fall off the wagon kiddo,” Dad said. He was right, I couldn’t sit straight for a second. Though considering nothing about me is straight I suppose it’s on brand. Gosh these gay jokes will be funnier when I’m not a child anymore I swear. I pet Blaze’s back a little then will myself to sit still. Thanks buddy, you calm me down. 

“Alright, I’m good to go now dad.”

“We’re off then!”

Dad grabbed the reins and started our short journey towards the town. I want to say it was interesting, or the adventure of a lifetime, but really if you’ve ever been to the Midwestern United States before, you’ll know exactly what I saw. Farmland and hills. That’s it. At least it’s not hot yet, summer is still a few months out from now. 

Eventually, we came to a canyon, and the look on dad’s face became one of worry. 

“What’s wrong dad?”

“Aria, there’s supposed to be a bridge in front of us. It crosses the canyon.”

“Oh. Oh that’s not good.” 

“That’s a nice way to put it.” 

We got closer to the canyon and eventually found that the cobblestone bridge that was supposed to be there was mostly gone, and what remained was the base on the cliff sides, cracked and broken. 

“Ok, well I know another route, but it’ll take us another hour to get to the town and come back, which means it could be pretty late by the time we get home.”

“Wait dad, don’t be so hasty. I think I have an idea.”

“What could you possibly do to get us across the bridge with our carriage?”

“Spellsword magic.”

“How would making weapons help us he-”

“You don’t just have to make weapons with it, you know.”

“Are you sure? This could be dangerous and you’re still pretty young, your mana reserves might not be big enough to make a strong bridge, and even if they are you could pass out.”

“I won’t know my potential unless I step out of my comfort zone. Do you trust me?”

“With my life. You’re my daughter after all. If you think you can do this, then I believe in you.”

“Okay.”

“So what’s the plan?”

“Simple, I’m going to replace the cobblestone bridge with one made of pure mana, easy.”

“And then we just… cross?”

“Yup.”

“Sounds good to me!”

We inched up to the edge of the bridge, and I summoned all my mana from deep inside me. Feeling the power course through my veins and out my fingertips. It’s the kind of feeling that makes you think you can do anything. I imagine what the bridge might have looked like before it fell, strong and stone, and replaced that image with one of light. Suddenly in front of us was a bridge of golden light, as if it were a passage to somewhere ethereal and holy. Keeping our passage together racked my body with growing fatigue.

“Hurry dad, I can’t hold this long!”

“Got it!” He cracked the reins and blaze sped onto the bridge. Oh hell yeah! It’s strong enough to hold all of that weight at once. I did that. We made it to the other end, and just as our back wheels got across, I released the spell. Holy shit I’m tired. I feel like I just ran a marathon after staying up all night. 

“That was amazing Aria!”

“It felt amazing! But it was also very tiring, so if you don’t mind I’m going to go nap in the back.”

“Sounds good, I’ll wake you up when we make it to town.”

“Thanks dad.”

***

 

“Aria. Aria, wake up. We’re here.”

“Hmm? What’d you say dad?”

“We’re here sleepyhead.”

I got up and peeked my head out of the front of the carriage, and any tiredness I still felt was melted away by wonder. A small, but busy town, with buildings made of wood and stone like they were straight out of a fantasy. Shop stands out selling all kinds of food and drink, the smells of which combined in my nose in a way that brought back memories of the few times I went to my state’s yearly fair. And there were just so many people! I’ve barely met anyone besides my parents in my 5 years of this life. Mostly humans, but the occasional appearance of an elf or dwarf, and the rare occurrence of a demon person. Demons, unlike their god would suggest, are often decent people. Some good, some bad. Even if their general reputation was tarnished by that god of theirs. At least that’s what I’ve read about them. 

“Alright little song, we’re going to go meet up with Juniper outside one of our favorite bars, and then I’ll probably let you two hang out and walk around while I handle errands.”

“Are you sure you want to do errands alone?”

“Yeah, I actually prefer shopping alone, I’m pretty bad at focusing on mental tasks when there are people with me.”

“You have no idea how relatable that is dad.”

“Like father, like daughter!”



36