Ch. 23 – A wise man submits to circumstances
145 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sun Lotus City

Ding Shuren's sudden announcement has rocked the hearts of gu masters in the city. Ambition and curiosity have drawn them forward, and a sizable crowd was gathering in the city square to find out more about the circumstances.

"City Lord, tell us! Where is the cultivation board?"

"What are the rewards?"

"How many primeval stones do we get?"

These were the recurring questions of the people who showed up before the city hall.

Their muffled and overlapping voices from the outside filled the rooms inside with an illegible cacophony.

Ding Shuren and company were inside, still working out the specifics in a hurry.

"The amount is final! We will reward those who advance more generously." - Ding Shuren concluded their haphazard assembly.

His advisors thought the rewards were too much. How could their city's economy sustain this new expense? But voicing their disagreement was in vain, Ding Shuren was resolute in this matter.

Not knowing about the matters regarding Bao Xu Lian, they even questioned in their mind if this was the same pragmatic city lord they knew.

"Good. Now set up the ranking and reward boards outside. I'll hold my speech in the meanwhile." - Ding Shuren instructed his subordinates.

Next, he stepped outside onto his balcony and sized up the crowd blow him.

The space was filled with people, even the adjacent streets were starting to get crowded.

As the mass discovered his presence they started cheering and shouting at the city lord.

They only quieted down as Ding Shuren started to address them.

He explained the rules of the cultivation board and how the benefits will be distributed.

In the meanwhile, two officers exited the building's aged and sizable doors.

"Give space!" - One of them commanded.

The crowd reclined back inch by inch with difficulty until there was ample place freed up.

The officers released two gu worms at this moment. The two gu each turned into a massive slab of finely chiseled stone. They were reaching up to the heights where Ding Shuren was speaking from.

The two stone boards were rectangle-shaped and dark grey in color. The smooth front sides were lined with rough edges like they were a slice taken from a mountain.

A line of characters appeared at the top of them:

"Cultivation ranking"

"Cultivation rewards"

Line by line the slates were filled with information. The ranking board was filled with names, but their order was arbitrary, so far nobody had any progress. Everyone had a zero beside their names.

Meanwhile, the rewards board had many items listed, each requiring a certain number of points in exchange.

The people were looking left and right not sure which one they should focus on for now.

"That gu costs a hundred points. Is that a lot?"

"How long will it take me to break through? I have to increase my ranking."

The people were in a ruckus, trying to take in all the information.

Suddenly the ranking board changed. A name jumped to the top, its points were shown two hundred and fifty in value.

"Look, so many points! Someone just advanced at this moment."

"Two hundred and fifty? Is this a small realm or a big realm?"

More and more people saw this scene, and a singular thought has taken root in their minds.

"I need to hurry back and cultivate."

Everyone wanted to claim the rare and precious gu worms on offer. Once they were gone so would be their opportunity as well.

The crowd dispersed even faster than it has assembled.

Half an hour later the square was empty except for a few lingering individuals who missed the event and came to check the two newly erected boards.

Ding Shuren was satisfied with the event. His uneasiness was diminished. He also enjoyed the silence that replaced the crowd's previous buzzing.

* * * * *

Bao Zhi was on his way back when the city lord made his announcement. A flow of people soon came in the opposite direction he wanted to go.

Bao Zhi stopped for a moment to think things through.

"A merit board with rewards? What is going on?"

"This would be a method to employ at times of war or a catastrophe. Yet there is peace and no unrest. Very strange..."

"But this is in line with the city lord's behavior at the auction hall. It is not him who's pulling the strings. The immortals are most likely planning something."

"I need to find out all I can."

Thinking of this, he turned around to follow the crowd.

When he arrived at the city center, it was filled to two-thirds already by the questioning people.

As the reward and ranking boards were revealed, Bao Zhi quickly scrutinized them.

"The exchange rates are too generous. So many primeval stones will be handed out." - He calculated internally.

Then the ranking board changed. The two hundred and fifty points showed up from nothing!

"So much? This is really bad!" - Bao Zhi was shocked.

Even if this was given to someone who advanced from peak stage to initial stage, a big realm, it was too much.

Why would the higher-ups hand out resources so recklessly?

Bao Zhi felt like the situation was similar to a peasant fattening his pigs before butchering them.

"A man-made calamity is approaching. Maybe a neighboring city will attack? Or a horde of wildlife?" - He frowned. Even if he knew something was up. As his current self, as a single person, he was powerless in front of events arranged by immortals.

He accepted this situation calmly. If it was outside of his control, what mattered was how he reacted to it.

Bao Zhi was among the first people who decided to leave the square immediately.

Back at his house, he found Jin Ju cultivating with renewed diligence.

"Jin Ju, you have heard the announcement as well. A huge change is about to happen, it holds ample opportunities for those who can grasp it." - He explained.

"You know something by any chance?" - Jin Ju inquired.

"Yes, I've checked out the specifics. Have you refined the Unprocessed Jade gu already?"

"Mm. Just finished refining it yesterday. I plan to use it by the end of the week. Why do you ask?"

"Use it right away. The Relic gu as well."

"I thought I should use the Relic gu to go from rank one upper stage to peak stage. To save the most eff-"

"Things have changed now. If you can cultivate now a minor realm you can claim rewards from the cultivation board. You can exchange those points for another rank one Relic gu or other rewards."

Jin Ju's eyes shined as he heard this.

Bao Zhi did not want to tell Jin Ju about his conjecture, it would only place an unnecessary burden on him.

"Jin Ju, listen to me. Use the Relic gu as soon as possible. The cultivator who holds the most Relic gu has the biggest advantage in this contest. I believe the price of Relic gu has already skyrocketed. That is if there are still any left for sale."

"..."

"Remember, speed is the most important at this moment. Being first is the best. As a rank one initial stage gu master, you should be able to advance easily."

"But what about you?"

"Don't worry about me, I have another plan for myself. But for that, I need to get some gu worms." - Bao Zhi said.

Jin Ju nodded.

He sat down and focused on his aperture. There was the Relic gu, floating on his sea of initial stage jade green primeval essence. He started activating the Relic gu.

An unfamiliar but comfortable feeling washed over his body. He felt like he cultivated months in the span of minutes. This feeling was addictive.

Despite this feeling, Jin Ju couldn't help but think that he was wasting the Relic gu. He estimated that he would reach the middle stage by himself in a few weeks. Maybe even faster if he used the Unprocessed Jade gu and raised his aptitude.

"I hope this is worth it."

The Relic gu's effects were slow but tangible.

Jin Ju's cultivation increased in a span of half an hour, reaching rank one middle stage directly!

"My aperture has increased a rank! It started producing a new kind of essence." - Jin Ju exclaimed in shock as he inspected his tiny amount of pale green primeval essence.

It was denser than jade green primeval essence, it sank to the bottom.

A rank one gu master's essence was called green copper primeval essence in general. According to the gu master's small realm, it was subdivided into jade green, pale green, dark green, and black green.

In the meanwhile, Bao Zhi left and headed to the market to buy some gu worms. To cultivate his fake aperture to rank two a rank two Carve Wood gu and a rank two gu master would be needed. Short of that he could only think of other ways to strengthen himself.

* * * * *

Zhao family's mansion

Patriarch Zhao was pacing up and down in his study. The city lord's speech was audible to everyone, he was notified as well.

"Send for Min'er." - He called to a servant.

His grandson presented himself shortly.

"Are you looking for me, grandpa?"

"Come, I have some matters to discuss." - Patriarch closed his door and turned around to face his grandson he doted on.

"Is it about the cultivation board?" - Zhao Min guessed internally. He felt like his cultivation was about to be put under even more scrutiny.

The patriarch sighed.

"Listen to this old man's teaching. This is the tiny wisdom he has grasped in his life." - He humbly introduced.

"The wise man strives for no purpose;"

"He does not attempt to shine."

"He cherishes what is within him;"

"He does not value what is without."

"The best thing is like water."

"Water gives life to the ten thousand things and does not strive."

"Water is the softest thing, yet it can penetrate mountains and earth."

"In dwelling, live close to the ground."

"In thinking, keep to the simple."

"In conflict, be fair and generous."

"In governing, don't try to control."

"In work, do what you enjoy."

"In family life, be completely present."

"When you are content to be simply yourself"

"and don't compare or compete,"

"everybody will respect you."

"Fill your bowl to the brim"

"and it will spill."

"Keep sharpening your knife"

"and it will dull."

"Therefore the sage is sharp but not cutting,"

"Pointed but not piercing,"

"Straightforward but not unrestrained,"

"Bright but not blinding."

"In the world, there are things that are soft and yielding,"

"But they are also at the cutting edge of the world."

"None can escape being cut..."

The patriarch finished his recital and sighed again.

"The matter of fact is... I have not much longer to live."

"I know this might be too sudden for you. I wished it could be otherwise..."

"Grandpa..." - Zhao Min was fighting back tears. His grandpa was his most beloved family member. The patriarch has doted on him since his young age.

"Listen, my grandson, I know you don't like cultivating. But our family's future depends on you now."

"On the surface, I will enter secluded cultivation. I already made my arrangements."

"While your father is still unaware, you have to become the new family head. As soon as he finds out, he will scheme against you. Don't tell your mother either, she will try to use you to gain authority."

Zhao Min had a concerned face as he gulped, imagining an unfortunate scenario.

"I am a useless father, I couldn't nurture the next generation properly... I am a sinner of the family."

"But I won't be a worthless grandfather!" - Patriarch Zhao's absent gaze landed directly on Zhao Min.

Only now did Zhao Min notice his grandfather's sobbing as tears rolled down his face.

"Zhao Min, can you bear this heavy burden?" - He reached out, with a trembling hand and held Zhao Min.

"Can you fulfill this old man's dying wish and wash away my regret?"

Zhao Min was wordless, but his damp and quivering eyes revealed his answer.

"I- I will do my best." - He forced out the words. He wasn't even sure himself if he truly meant it or not. But he knew, he could not bear to disregard his grandfather's last wish.

"I truly have a good grandson. I am thankful for the heavens." - Patriarch Zhao embraced Zhao Min for the last time.

* * * * *

5