Ch. 39 – Fake becomes real
134 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Xu Lian Blessed Land

"How do I increase my combat strength?"

This was the question currently on Bao Xu Lian's mind. His upcoming ninth earthly calamity put great pressure on him.

The reason was not the earthly calamity itself but the upcoming heavenly tribulation ten years after that. He had confidence in passing the earthly calamity. He already had eight of them behind him. But if the losses were too big this time, the heavenly calamity could be disastrous.

Many immortals feared this downward spiral. The calamities and tribulations came unceasingly with increased strength. If the cultivator could not keep up and their losses outweighed their gains, it would spell their doom.

Bao Xu Lian injected his will into the brain melon plantation to ponder on the issue.

He did not waste time and thoughts started to fly and collide rapidly inside the green void space as he deduced.

"The best would be if I had an immortal gu. The effect of immortal gu would make the calamity trivial. I could even create immortal killer moves with it. But refining an immortal gu is not feasible. I don't have the time or resources for it." - He thought.

It wasn't a coincidence most of the rank six immortals had no matching rank six immortal gu. Immortal gu were unique and hard to obtain.

"Creating new killer moves is also out of the question. What moves my inheritance contains is already something my current self can't surpass. Creating new ones would be wasted effort."

This was a good problem to have. But he wasn't satisfied, he wanted to go above and beyond!

Suddenly a flash of inspiration hit him!

"I should create a gu house!"

"Even if it's not an immortal gu house, the advantages are numerous. A gu house combines movement, defense and offense into one. It is also easier to use than killer moves."

In a killer move the user had to activate each gu by themselves, while in a gu house the gu were integrated into a single entity, a formation. It reduced the complexity and activation time.

Bao Xu Lian continued deducing.

An endless stream of novel ideas flooded his mind. Piece by piece a rank five gu house materialized before his mind's eye.

It seemed like a flash to him, but he was deducing for a whole week before he reached his limits.

"I shall name this creation Eight Layered Leaf Nest!"

His tattered will left the brain melon with a satisfied expression and quickly returned to his main body.

"Hah! What a nice gu house. Formation path is not so hard after all."

"Now all I need is to source the gu worms and assemble them."

Bao Xu Lian summarized the results and produced a list of the required gu worms, most of them were rank five gu.

* * * * *

Ancestral Grotto, Great Root Manor

Bao Lang Chao sat at his desk. His expression was alternating between calm and troubled.

The matter on his mind was how he should deal with Bao Xu Lian.

It was revealed to him that Bao Xu Lian killed his half brother to snatch his inheritance and become an immortal. This matter could be swept under the rug, he would even gain a hold over Bao Xu Lian.

The only problem was that Bao Xu Lian recently came under suspicion as the spy of Wen clan. If Bao Xu Lian was thoroughly investigated, Lang Chun's death could also be uncovered. Even just the wrongful accusations of his son could undermine his authority.

If this matter got exposed it would be something his political opponents could exploit.

Bao Lang Chao could not let that happen!

If he lost his position as the grotto lord, he would not likely ever reclaim it.

Right at this moment he noticed some movement at the passage of the immortal Hole Earth gu that connected to the Lingering Mountains Grotto.

This spot was the only exit and entrance to the grotto, it was heavily monitored.

He checked on the details and found out it was Bao Xu Lian who has just passed through.

"An opportunity!" - Bao Lang Chao exclaimed in his mind.

He got up and summoned Bao Yijun right away.

* * * * *

Xu Lian Blessed Land

Bao Zhi cultivated calmly in his tree form. His root system kept expanding further and further.

They were already in range of the core areas of the blessed land.

Bao Zhi noticed a change in the flora at a particular location.

"Oh, he planted the brain melons already. This is a good time to start refining then."

Bao Zhi concentrated on that area. His roots connected and intertwined the plantation.

"In you go!" - He called out softly and Bao Xu Lian's will was sucked into the brain melon.

"The opportunity is here. I will take ownership of the rank five Man Triumphing Heaven gu in one go!"

While Bao Xu Lian's will was trapped in the brain melon, Bao Zhi released a trace of Verdant Heart Seed's immortal gu aura.

The difference between mortal and immortal was like heaven and earth. The will of the rank five gu was intimidated into submission by the immortal aura.

Bao Zhi acted quickly and activated his refinement method before the gu would realize his trick and try to resist.

He multi tasked and started to refine.

A week has passed in a blink of an eye.

Bao Zhi observed Bao Xu Lian's will.

It was about to dissipate so Bao Zhi let it out to report back.

Not much later a new will returned and entered the brain melons to deduce again.

"Good, good. He already values the broom as his own! Haha. It can't be helped, deducing results is a stimulating feeling."

Bao Zhi continued his refinement. It was already in the final stages.

Success!

The Man Triumphing Heaven gu was successfully refined by him.

He checked the gu and didn't find any faults with it.

He started to instill his essence to activate the gu.

It had to be said there was no shortcut here, the gu was rank five but he only had rank one essence.

But he had a lot of it!

He placed the Man Triumphing Heaven Gu in the center of his fake aperture and let it absorb the essence. Like a bottomless pit it started to suck his aperture dry of the essence. The Primeval Rafflesia gu house could not produce essence fast enough to keep up.

Time has passed.

Bao Zhi inspected the expanding brain melon plantation time and time again.

Bao Xu Lian's thoughts caught his attention this time.

"So he's planning for the calamity. That's good. There's no harm in lending you a helping hand. It is better if I don't have to intervene and reveal myself during the calamity." - He thought to himself.

Bao Zhi decided to interfere in the deduction. He injected his own thoughts and disguised them among Bao Xu Lian's.

* * * * *

Ancestral Grotto

Bao Xu Lian returned from the Lingering Mountains Grotto.

"This Wen Yun is quite talented. She could refine all the gu I asked for really quickly." - Bao Xu Lian was in a good mood.

He started to assemble the Eight Layered Leaf Nest gu house piece by piece in his immortal aperture.

The process was simple and natural. Bao Zhi has taken special care to create this gu house to be not difficult to use.

He headed to return to his station and cultivate in peace.

But a voice transmission arrived.

"Attention! A traitor has infiltrated our ranks. Immediately come and apprehend the culprit at the immortal treasury." - Arrived the voice transmission from the grotto lord.

Bao Xu Lian quickly arrived at the immortal treasury. He looked around.

The surroundings were peaceful and quiet.

"Am I late? No. There is no commotion, the traitor is still inside. Should I wait?" - Bao Xu Lian gulped, but ultimately decided to enter.

He didn't have fantasies of single-handedly solving the situation, as he was the youngest immortal in the clan.

"Even just holding them up would be a merit and help is also on the way." - He thought and entered cautiously.

But even inside, he was surprised to find that he was alone there.

"What's going on?"

Suddenly the gates shut close behind him and two figures emerged.

"Stop right there, traitor!"

Bao Xu Lian turned around in confusion.

"Where?" - He couldn't sense anyone else.

"There's no point in further pretending, Xu Lian. You have betrayed the Bao Clan. Obediently surrender yourself now!" - Said the voice of the grotto lord.

"W-what? I don't understand. What did I do? I would never harm the clan!" - Bao Xu Lian looked at Bao Lang Chao with confusion.

"Don't deny it. You leaked the secrets and plans of Bao Clan! You have just returned from Wen clan and slipped inside the immortal treasury. The facts are as clear as day." - Bao Yijun explained coldly.

Bao Xu Lian trembled like a candle in a storm.

"Impossible! Father, it was you, who summoned me here! I have no other reason to be here!" - He shouted in indignance.

The other immortals arrived at this moment.

A faint smile appeared on Bao Lang Chao for a moment. He sent the same message to everyone indeed, but he notified Xu Lian in advance.

"What's going on? Where's the traitor?" - Asked the third supreme elder, Bao Chi Ping.

Bao Lang Chao pointed at Bao Xu Lian: "Ungrateful descendant. From this day, I disown you, you are no son of mine. With my authority as the supreme elder of Bao clan, I, Bao Lang Chao expel you from the clan. Surrender and accept your punishment!"

Bao Lang Chao had an aggrieved but stern expression. He wiped his tears with his hand.

The immortals narrowed their eyes and blocked the entrance.

"So the traitor was him all along. Who would have guessed!"

"Clan leader is truely resolute."

"I am not the traitor. You are framing me!" - Bao Xu Lian shouted with a trembling voice.

"You don't have to deny it. We can search your immortal aperture for proof." - Bao Chi Ping said coldly.

"N-no! This is unjust, I am not the traitor!" - Bao Xu Lian shouted.

"It's no use. Your crimes are unforgivable. You will be executed!" - Bao Chi Ping said as he started to attack.

Bao Xu Lian panicked and tried to dodge.

"Clan leader, elders, I am not the traitor!" - He shouted.

But nobody cared to listen to him.

"Traitors must be destroyed!"

"This is the will of the clan!"

Bao Xu Lian was struggling to dodge. One of the moves hit him and severed his arm.

"Ahh! I speak, I confess everything. Please spare my life!" - He fell on his knees and begged.

The attacks ceased and then the immortals encirceld him with disdainful looks.

Bao Xu Lian hurriedly sent multiple wills into his aperture. One of them entered the brain melon and started deducing, his other wills were assembling the Eight Layered Leaf Nest as quickly as they could.

Bao Xu Lian was at his wits end, he could only delay and hope for a breaktrgough.

Minutes were passing like days. Bao Xu Lian was under immense mental pressure as he tried his best.

"Just a little bit more." - He thought to himself.

Bao Lang Chao had an ugly expression as he listened to the confession. He wanted put an end to the matter as soon as he could.

"We've heard enough. What are your last words?"

"I... I just want everyone to know..." - He paused for a moment.

"YOU CAN EAT SHIT!" - Bao Xu Lian quickly retireved the gu house from his aperture and entered it.

The Eight Layered Leaf Nest broke through the treasury walls and flew away like a green arrow.

The immortals were shocked. They quickly chased after it.

They hurled long range attacks at the fleeing gu house.

Bao Xu Lian tried his best to dodge left and right, but half the attacks still landed.

When an attack landed one or two layers of the outer shell of leaves turned from green to yellow then brown as they absorbed the attack. The withered leaves revealed another layer of green below it.

Bao Xu Lian was getting thrown around inside the gu house as the powerful attacks rocked it. He instilled his immortal essence furiously into the gu house.

He was in a sorry state.

As marvelous as this gu house was, it had no chance to hold out against immortal level attacks for an extended time. The layers were falling off one after another. Their replenishment could not keep up, the walls were wearing thinner and thinner.

"Almost there!"

Bao Lang Chao noticed the direction, he quickly guessed where Bao Xu Lian headed.

"Close the passage now!" - He shouted.

But nobody was manning the passage, he had summoned everyone to himself.

Bao Xu Lian slipped through the Hole Earth gu passage just in time before it closed.

"He escaped."

"What a good method. This gu house isn't in our clan's inheritance."

"Wen clan didn't send him unprepared it seems."

Bao Lang Chao cursed in his mind. Now that Bao Xu Lian was backed into a corner, he would naturally ally with Wen clan.

* * * * *

5