Chapter 1: Astral Gates
43 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Humanity is strong. We can always go against the odds.

 

However, what if the odds are too much?

 

Will we be able to go against it?

 

Or should we learn to live with it?

 

***

 

The year was 2050.

 

Grey cracks started appearing around the world.

 

Be it airports.

Be it movie theatres.

Or even your office loos.

 

They opened at places we least expected and swallowed those unfortunate enough to be there. After finishing their succulent meal, they hovered around ominously as if admiring their work of art.

 

Of course, humanity won't bend down to these extraterrestrial cracks. Hence, we threw everything we got at them.

 

Be it bullets or weapons.

Be it rockets or our latest technologies.

 

Governments around the world tried everything. Humanity tried everything. Well, everything apart from nukes, of course, as no one wanted to nuke their city.

 

We even tried to send a volunteer team towards the hole; like before, it swallowed everyone.

 

Everything came up empty.

 

As if mocking us for even trying in the first place, the cracks soon stopped hovering and froze mid-air, halting their absorption of the surrounding area. As if inviting everyone to attempt to decipher them.

 

Scientists were scared initially. However, they soon learnt something about these floating cracks of death.

 

They have two different stages, Active and Dormant. 

 

In Active mode, they will expand and absorb everything in their path.

 

Whilst in Dormant mode, they will fix their position and stop their expansion.

 

It was a crucial breakthrough. Everyone was hopeful that these cracks would be resolved soon.

 

***

 

Two more years passed, humanity learnt how to live with these strange space cracks.

 

We learnt how to calculate their arrival. Apart from the occasionally irregular gates, we managed to predict 99% cracks worldwide.

 

People would evacuate predicted places before hands. The gate then would only destroy some private properties. After a while, people could move back to their location after the gates turned dormant.

 

Humanity made advances in our cracks research.

 

***

 

Another two years passed, cracks slowly became a cultural phenomenon. People dreamed about what could be on the other side.

 

They coined the term ‘Astral Gates’ to describe these fantastic extraterrestrial doorways.

 

They could be filled with superhumans flying on swords.

They could be filled with magicians controlling the very elements of nature.

They could be filled with beautiful humanoids waiting for man’s colonisation.

 

Our creativity went rampant. Stories, books and novels were released en masse.

 

***

 

That naivety changed in 2060.

 

Dormant gates showed movement once more. However, people didn’t panic; they were curious.

 

Could this be humanity's first interaction with the other side?

Could I go down in history as the first person to meet aliens?

Will their greeting gifts be elixirs of immortality?

 

These thoughts filled their minds.

 

However, nothing came out. 

 

The gates just fizzled and slowly decreased their size. They slowly shrank as if they weren’t there in the first place.

 

Although some were disappointed, many were happy that they could reclaim their lost lands previously occupied by the gates.

 

However, that happiness didn’t last long. As the gates were about to disappear, they imploded.

 

Their explosion created a giant shock wave, instantly vaporising everything around their immediate perimeter.

 

Smaller gates cleared blocks whilst sizable gates vapourised an entire district.

 

Humanity woke up. On that day, we learnt of the last stage of the gate. The scientist called it Diffusion mode, the most dangerous and unpredictable mode. 

 

We realised that these gates were not cultural phenomena but ticking time bombs. 

 

***

 

“Mum, must you go?” A young boy asked his mum.

 

“It’s ok little Alex. We will be gone for only a bit. Okie?” she softly ruffled his blonde hair. “We will be back by the end of the week. So don’t worry so much.”

 

“But what if you meet those gates!” Alex protested whilst giving her the puppy eyes.

 

“So cute! But no, we have to go. This investment is of utmost importance,” she looked at his cute purple eyes and pinched his cheeks.

 

“Take good care of your little brother, alright!” An older male voice ordered nearby.

 

“Ye! Ye! Will do, pops.” A young adult voice nonchalantly replied.

 

“Young Cillian!” She reprimanded him. “You better listen to your father. Oh right! Before I forget, you better find yourself a job, or I’ll get one for you. You can’t be bumming at home all day. You’re 22 already.”

 

“Yes, mum!” Cillian put down his phone and replied to her.

 

“Alright, kids, we are leaving now,” she came over and kissed little Alex on the head.

 

“Have a safe trip!” Cillian and Alex replied.

 

***

 

“Brother, mum is not replying to me anymore!” Alex asked his brother.

 

“For god sake, Alexander! Go and watch Utube or something! She is probably queuing to get off the train,” annoyed Cillian replied.

 

“Fine!” Alexander went to turn on the television.

 

As Alexander was about to link his Utube to the television, an announcement escaped. “Breaking News! A Surprised Gate has appeared at Kings Cross.”

 

Both Alexander and Cillian put down their phones and looked at the television.

 

“The Surprised Gate materialised at the railway platform and swallowed up the arriving train. All 505 passengers and crew members were lost.” the reporter continued.

 

“How long is our parents’ trip?” Cillian anxiously asked.

 

Alexander flipped through his photo.

 

“3 hours and 18 minutes.”

 

Both of them looked at the large grandfather clock.

 

“They have been gone for 3 hours and 50 minutes.”

 

“Go and check which platform our parents’ train is at!” Cillian stressed.

 

Alexander hopped back on his phone.

 

“Platform 2”

 

“Our hearts go out to those whose family member was on train inbound for platform 2,” the reporter replied in sadness.

 

*Ring*

 

*Beep*

 

Their phones kept going off.

 

They stared at each other, not daring to pick up the phone.

 

Alexander limped toward Cillian, his face filled with snot and tears. Cillian immediately hugged the child. The child wailed and asked, “Brother, what should we do now?”

 

“It’s fine. As long as I am here, I’ll protect you,” Cillian replied with a melancholy voice. However, as the patriarch now, he reined in his tears. 

 

He stroked Alexander's hair, and the child cried whilst holding on to him. Cillian murmured, “As long as I am here, I will protect you.”

 

Their phone continued ringing in the distance.

 

***

 

Four years passed with much hardship.

 

“Thank you for coming to our show today, Mr Eliot,” the show host put out his hand for a handshake.

 

“Hahaha! It’s my pleasure,” Mr Eliot laughed and shook the host's hand with confidence.

 

“Hahaha!” the host put on a fake laugh. “If you don’t know who Mr Eliot is, let me give you a quick recap. Mr Eliot is the CEO of Eliot Industries, one of the fastest-growing companies. No! It’s the fastest-growing company in the world. The father of Astral-capable ships, Astral stabilisation device, …”

 

“Oh please, John! Don’t say it like that; I’m embarrassed!” Mr Eliot replied with a thick face, not looking embarrassed at all.

 

“Ahem!” Being knocked off guard by Mr Eliot, the host instantly changed the topic. “Anyway, could we ask you a few questions?”

 

“Of course, isn’t that why we are here?” Mr Eliot laughed, teasing the poor host.

 

“Ahem! Of course,” The host tried his best to act normal. “We heard you made Eliot Industries after your parents passed away due to a Surprise Gate incident.”

 

“Yes, that is correct, John,” Mr Eliot's tone changed to a serious tone. “I was like most of the kids my age. Daydreaming of venturing beyond the Astral Gate and discovering what was on the other side.”

 

Mr Eliot stood up and continued, “However, my parents taught me a valuable lesson.”

 

He pointed his hand forward, “That these gates are nothing but time bombs.”

 

Mr Eliot then moved his hand to tap his heart, “That is why I set out to ensure that these gate accidents won’t happen to anyone ever again. No more child will lose their parents over the unpredictability of these extraterrestrial gates.”

 

After making his speech, he sat down. His expression turned joyful once more.

 

“Ah! Thank you for your passionate speech,” the host clapped in earnest. “Anyway, next question. You have earned 1 billion alone.”

 

Before the host could finish his sentence, Mr Eliot cut in, “Ah! Thank you for your reminder, John. We. No. I and my wife have decided to create the Eliot Foundation to provide jobs, education, food and housing to those who have lost their loved ones due to the Astral Gates.”

 

“You have a wife?” the host was surprised. After all, Mr Eliot was the UK's biggest playboy and one of the richest available bachelors. Everyone and their sister would love to be with him. Rumour said that many tried, yet no one managed to tie this stallion down yet. Until now.

 

“Oh ya! She is technically my boss after all,” Mr Eliot smiled. 

 

Eliot Industries was Mr Eliot's brainchild. However, he only held 49% of the company. The actual owner never revealed their face.

 

“Alright, thank you for having me on the show. The boss needs me back now!” Mr Eliot quickly took the host’s hand and shook it.

 

Everyone was still stunned by his announcement to stop him from leaving the studio.

1