Chapter 21: By The Cave of Oblivion
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Regardless, it was time to check the levels he received. Alexander uttered softly, “Interface!”

 

_ _ _

 

[Name]: ???

 

[Species]: Ælf [Culture]: Neasdocs-Ælf

 

[Renown]: 50

[Level]: 2(0/200)

 

[Stats]: 11.9(10.9) Strength, 16.8(15.8) Agility, 12 Charm, 7(6) Endurance,  16.8(15.8) Stamina, 8 Intelligence, 3 Mana, 0 Faith 

 

[Traits]: Children of Neasdocs

 

[Affinity]: Normal Fate, Minor Single-handed Weapon

 

[Attainment]: Inspect

[Free points]: 12

 

_ _ _

 

‘Chibi Cillian wasn’t joking about the penalty for death.’

 

‘They did take the unused 50 EXP away.’

 

‘Dying in late game is going to suck.’

 

However, the increase in the intensity of the soundtrack quickly paused Alexander's internal dialogue.

 

*BUM* *BUM* *BUM*

 

Alexander looked around to see what was going on.

 

Right as the music signalled, Anlaf grabbed tight onto Alexander before activating Shadow Escape, dodging a giant shadowy claw aiming for them.

 

The claw missed, sliced cleanly through the stalagmites behind them and imprinted deep in the cavern wall.

 

Anlaf materialised a few metres away and retaliated by firing a few Shadow Lances. Before, using Shadow Escape to relocate, dodging more incoming Shadow Claws.

 

On the Anlaf’s shoulder, Alexander witnessed the strangest fight of his life. Silent strokes of inks constantly exchanged through the beautifully lit cavern. They zapped across the large cavern for a second before dissipating, altering anything in their wake without making a single sound.

 

Under the rustle of alien plants and the drumming of the soundtrack, the tranquil fight progressed, marring a large part of the picturesque scenery.

 

However, the battle remained inconclusive.

 

Eventually, Anlaf stopped his Shadow Escape and stood still in a battle posture.

 

A group of panther-like creatures lurked out from the dept of the cavern where bioluminescence light didn't shine and no fauna grown. Their furs were dark and smooth, blending into the cavern shade. Their soundless agile movements weaved through their environment like spectres in the night.

 

Their bodies reflect so little light that Alexander had to wait for them to move closer to a garden of bioluminescence plants to see them. The only noticeable features that Alexander could observe were their lack of eyes and large fin-like ears.

 

Although they were the attackers, after exchanging attacks with Anlaf, they were extremely wary of the skeleton. However, as both sides were exceptionally familiar with underground combat, neither side took any damage. 

 

The group faced their head towards Anlaf before flapping their fin-like ears, signalling a truce before disappearing into the dark. 

 

Alexander attempted to inspect them.

 

_ _ _

 

[Name]: Adult Panthershutt

 

[Description]: Lurks deep within the caves and caverns of ??? forest are the Panthershutt. They are adept in stealth combat. ???

 

[Species]: Panthershutt

 

[Level]: ??(???)

 

[Stats]: ??(??) Strength, ??(??) Agility, ??(??) Charm, ??(??) Endurance, ??(??) Intelligence,  ??(??) Mana

 

[Traits]: ???, ???

 

[Affinity]: Shadow

 

[Attainment]: Umbramancy

 

_ _ _

 

Looking at their [Stats], Alexander glanced back at their battlefield. Deep cut and penetration imprinted across the cavern wall, cleanly vapourising through anything on their way with surgical precision. 

 

Alexander gulped, thanking Cillian for not forcing him to fight a fully powered Anlaf before the training montage.

 

Speaking about Anlaf, Alexander noticed Anaf was rapidly moving through the cavern. He turned his head upwards to see what was going on.

 

Finally, Alexander noticed they were chasing after the group of Panthershutts.

 

‘Is the skeleton mad for them for using ambush tactics?’ Confused about its strange behaviour, Alexander tried thinking of a possible explanation.

 

***

 

Through the aggressive deployment of Shadow Escape, the distance between the two groups shrank rapidly. 

 

As Anlaf caught up with the Panthershutt, it didn’t attack them. It overtook them instead.

 

Alexander finally realised why they called the truce.

 

Their fight had attracted something worse.

 

As if right on queue, stalactites on the cavern ceiling began to rumble. And as the disturbance spread, stalactites started raining down on them.

 

*Boom* *Boom* *Boom*

 

As if it had experienced this before, the failing rocks were no match for Anlaf's mechanical and precise movement. Using Shadow Escape to dodge large stalactites and Shadow Lances to destroy minor obstacles, Anlaf handled the situation beautifully.

 

Alexander, the observer, was completely safe from any incoming debris, let alone falling stalactite. Although, the large about of dirt in the air did itch his nose.

 

*ACHOO*

 

A bit behind the charging skeleton was a group of Panthershutts. Unlike Anlaf, they focused on teamwork to get through this situation. With coordinated attacks, they shattered incoming obstacles before escaping using their version of Shadow Escape.

 

However, as things started to look safe, a rocky tendril emerged between the falling stalactites. It immediately aimed for an unsuspecting Panthershutt’s neck, puncturing deep and snapping many of the creature’s nervous system and bones. The poor Panthershutt didn’t even have time to react before quickly rolling dead on the ground. 

 

The vile tendril remained connected, sucking the nutrients out from the dying animal.

 

Seeing the brutality, the Panthershutt group turned back to save their comrades.

 

Anlaf, on the other hand, cared not for these creatures and continued moving forward post haste. Alexander, on its shoulder, twisted his neck as hard as he could to observe the situation.

 

The enraged group of Panthershutts barraged the tendril with Shadow Claws. 

 

Stucked to the dead Panthershutt, the tendril was immobile. With no way of dodging, it received the full blows of the group, shredding it into pieces. 

 

One of the Panthershutt moved towards the downed Panthershutt. It licked the creature by the neck and gently nudged it. However, no response came.

 

The group then surrounded their downed comrade. They gave a sad *Purr* and licked the dead Panthershutt once before dashing toward Anlaf, believing that following him was the best way out.

 

‘Damn, Cillian! How much time did you spend improving the AI?’ Alexander was amazed by the Panthershutts’ life-like behaviour.

 

Thankfully for them, Anlaf had cleared a path forward. They could easily catch up.

 

***

 

However, Anlaf, the torchbearer, was slowly being bogged down as countless rocky tendrils emerged from stalactites to assault it.

 

Anlaf had now transitioned into using shadowy swords as Shadow Lance had become obsolete. However, it was not enough, as without being attached to a creature, these tendrils remained elusive, easily dodging Anlaf's counterattacks.

 

Their fight eventually leaned towards these smart tendrils' favour as they forced Anlaf to use its Shadow Escape and attacked it when it reemerged. They also exclusively attacked its ribcage, breaking most of its heart protection.

 

Although initially, it didn't want to use explosive spells in fear of a cave-in and attacking more monsters. However, now, backed into a corner, Anlaf had to use its destructive arsenal. 

 

It clasped its hand together as per usual to create Fire Orbs. However, what came out was only a single orb, a fire orb surrounded by shadowy darkness.

 

Holding on to the skeleton, Alexander could feel the immense energy stored within it. In his eye, it was a perfect union between fire and shadow.

 

Anlaf, on the other hand, didn't care much about the orb as the skeleton casually lobbed it forward before summoning more. 

 

As the shadowy firey orb glided across the air, it sucked all the rocky tendrils, stalactites, rocks and dirt towards it. 

 

It brought them into its inner fire to purify before exploding outwards, ensuring everything would die and clearing everything in the vicinity.

 

Alexander tried inspecting the remaining tendrils to get proficiency.

 

_ _ _

 

[Name]: Adult Asunshonx

 

[Description]: Adult Asunshonxs are master ambushers that made their nest amongst the rocky cave and cavern of ??? forest. They weave fine trances of their mana into the cave stalactite and stalagmite. If their prey is large, they will bombard it with the cave stalactite before swooping down for the kill.

 

[Species]: Asunshonx

 

[Level]: ??(???)

 

[Stats]: ??(??) Strength, ??(??) Agility, ??(??) Charm, ??(??) Endurance, ??(??) Intelligence,  ??(??) Mana

 

[Traits]: ???, ???

 

[Affinity]: Metal, Earth

 

[Attainment]: Geomancy, ???

 

_ _ _

 

In a sea of fire and shadow, a skeleton wearing chains of gold walked. Its body represented the epitome of death.

 

The Asunshonx’s many tendrils burnt in the wake of its ruination, with the main body long escaped.

 

Behind the skeleton, a group of Panthershutts followed in fear.

 

However, its expression never changed. It continued moving as if the fight had never happened.

0